Jets May Still Get Either Alt Or Fashanu

On 1/10/2024 at 6:07 PM, Integrity28 said:

Or… they may not.

I mean, it’s January. Come on.

This is why all the hand wringing about our draft spot is pretty pointless right now, IMHO. So many people here are certain already about how the draft will go and why we are 100% screwed because we won 2 games. And there's still all of FA to come first too. Impossible to say right now where certain players will get picked, by whom etc.

Sometimes I think people just need something to complain about. ;-) 

• Upvote 1

There's always a scenario where a player like Alt or Fashanu, Nabers, or a QB like Maye or Daniels could drop to us.  We see that type of sh*t every year.  I won't get my hopes up on one of the LTs being there, but no matter what we should see either Bowers or Odunze there, and if not that probably means someone else who would fill a need has dropped.  Worst case you just take Fuaga.  But yeah, if Alt is on the board at 8 and we can move up for a like a 4th or something, then sure.  Otherwise I sit tight and let the board play out.  Not really looking to trade more future 2nds.

Interesting grades from PFF. Obviously Joe Alt, another Notre Dame All-Pro, is the head of the class. But look at Fuaga right behind him. Perhaps his rise is going to be real and push 3 OTs in to the Top 10.

Also, no Fashanu? Interesting.

8 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

It’s a deep OT class.  Part of why I think we should go QB. We can still fix the OL with FA and drafting OL in rounds 3-7

You might aa well give that dream up now 

King Aaron doesn't do succession planning 

There really are alot of good linemen at the senior bowl this year tho 

They could draft fuaga in Rd 1 and a couple of guards on day 3 and be all set (even could cut laken) 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

It’s a deep OT class.  Part of why I think we should go QB. We can still fix the OL with FA and drafting OL in rounds 3-7

Of the five QB's that will go in the first round, most will bust.  If the Jets already had a decent O-Line they could afford to take a chance on a QB.  Right now, they cant.  They need to take the best OT available at 10.  Alt or Fashanu or Fuaga if those two LT's are gone.  Fuaga is not a "second tier" guy.  He is a first tier RT.  

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

You might aa well give that dream up now 

King Aaron doesn't do succession planning 

There really are alot of good linemen at the senior bowl this year tho 

They could draft fuaga in Rd 1 and a couple of guards on day 3 and be all set (even could cut laken) 

F Aaron

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Of the five QB's that will go in the first round, most will bust.  If the Jets already had a decent O-Line they could afford to take a chance on a QB.  Right now, they cant.  They need to take the best OT available at 10.  Alt or Fashanu or Fuaga if those two LT's are gone.  Fuaga is not a "second tier" guy.  He is a first tier RT.  

Zach would have sucked behind the 90’s cowboys offensive line sorry

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/10/2024 at 2:27 PM, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Kyle Pitts is the greatest TE prospect I’ve seen (I didn’t really follow the draft when Tony Gonzalez was in it).

He went top-10, was superior to Bowers as a prospect, and he freaking sucks in the NFL.

Fun fact; Mike Ditka and Kyle Pitts are the only rookie TE's in NFL history to break 1,000 yards. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/10/2024 at 12:48 PM, GreenFish said:

Hmm. Crossing my fingers. There’s a chance.

I think the key teams will be:

- Titans: They need a OT

- Saints: They need OT. Could jump uS

If someone jumps us to get one of the two top tackles Douglas should be fired on the spot. Thats our history - just look at last year and dare I mention Brett Favre

3 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Zach would have sucked behind the 90’s cowboys offensive line sorry

Yes... But not Rodgers and that is the QB the Jets have.  He'll be there for at least two years.  

Also... Zach's career may have gotten off to a different start if he had gone to a team that had an OC and QBC that had experience in developing QB's.  Wilson was/is a physically skilled guy that first needed to learn the position.  Along with that, he needs to be in an offense that suits his skill set.  I've detailed that type of offense in here at least half a dozen times.  With the offensive systems the Jets were running with him, he was a fish out of water. 

On 1/10/2024 at 12:55 PM, slimjasi said:

I think the first 4 picks will very likely be 3 QBs and MHJ. I also think Atlanta taking Turner makes a ton of sense. Let's assume that all happens.

That leaves 4 more picks before us - If 3 of those 4 picks are Bowers, Odunze, and Nabers, we are good. Not impossible - but probably not most likely. 

IMO, the chances are that we will be staring at Bowers and one of Odunze or Nabers. 

Of course, this is all super early - players will shoot up the board and others will drop. 

Cant believe I am saying this about a TE but if we wind up with Bowers instead of a WR (assumes the two tackles are gone) I would be fine. The guy is a beast.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

Yes... But not Rodgers and that is the QB the Jets have.  He'll be there for at least two years.  

Also... Zach's career may have gotten off to a different start if he had gone to a team that had an OC and QBC that had experience in developing QB's.  Wilson was/is a physically skilled guy that first needed to learn the position.  Along with that, he needs to be in an offense that suits his skill set.  I've detailed that type of offense in here at least half a dozen times.  With the offensive systems the Jets were running with him, he was a fish out of water. 

Zach is our starting qb in 2024 

• Ugh 1

1 minute ago, choklits said:

If someone jumps us to get one of the two top tackles Douglas should be fired on the spot. Thats our history - just look at last year and dare I mention Brett Favre

I want Alt, but even if the Titans snatch him away, Fuaga is a very good pick.  He will be a Pro Bowl quality RT. 

As long as JD does not draft JC Latham, they will have a chance to come away from the 1st round with half of their OT problems solved.

1 minute ago, choklits said:

Cant believe I am saying this about a TE but if we wind up with Bowers instead of a WR (assumes the two tackles are gone) I would be fine. The guy is a beast.

I’m always skeptical of taking a TE in round 1

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Fun fact; Mike Ditka and Kyle Pitts are the only rookie TE's in NFL history to break 1,000 yards. 

different sort of TE and Pitts is playing on a team that has drafted 3 offensive skill position players very high (Robinson, Pitts and London) and hasn't used any of them properly. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I want Alt, but even if the Titans snatch him away, Fuaga is a very good pick.  He will be a Pro Bowl quality RT. 

As long as JD does not draft JC Latham, they will have a chance to come away from the 1st round with half of their OT problems solved.

I agree 100% on Latham. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Interesting grades from PFF. Obviously Joe Alt, another Notre Dame All-Pro, is the head of the class. But look at Fuaga right behind him. Perhaps his rise is going to be real and push 3 OTs in to the Top 10.

Also, no Fashanu? Interesting.

Live look at the PFF staff grading draft prospects:

Animated GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I’m always skeptical of taking a TE in round 1

Me too but this guy is a route running pass catching freak with serious size. He's not a Pitts or OJ Howard and Rodgers will know how to use him.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, choklits said:

Me too but this guy is a route running pass catching freak with serious size. He's not a Pitts or OJ Howard and Rodgers will know how to use him.

Rodgers doesn’t use the TE a lot actually.  Brady, Brees and Manning all did but Aaron typically throws to the wide receivers

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, choklits said:

different sort of TE and Pitts is playing on a team that has drafted 3 offensive skill position players very high (Robinson, Pitts and London) and hasn't used any of them properly. 

Yep, was just having this convo in the draft forum.  They are not even remotely comparable prospects, totally different players in college.

Dane Brugler’s second mock - released today - has Fashanu to the Jets. Top three WR’s and Bowers off the board by six, three QB’s and Alt also off the board through pick eight, Bears take the top edge at 9.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, derp said:

Dane Brugler’s second mock - released today - has Fashanu to the Jets. Top three WR’s and Bowers off the board by six, three QB’s and Alt also off the board through pick eight, Bears take the top edge at 9.

Agree  Fashanu drops to 10 unless he has an unbelievable combine