Jets X Factor Garret Wilson Study

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Not great ... Yes the article.accounts for atrocious QB play. What say you ?....

For the record ... I think the kid is a stud , but maybe a Robin and. not a Batman. Like Clayton, Stallworth or Taylor.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2024/01/13/ny-jets-truth-garrett-wilson-2023-performance/

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Mid/Low end WR1 if you compare him to the Justin Jefferson, Tyreek Hill, Jamar Chase, CeeDee Lamb, etc. types out there.  Still better than anything we've had in more than 5 years.

His real value will only be revealed when there's someone opposite of him at WR2 worth covering.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

I’m not so sure, love to see how the others “studs” play having Zach Wilson throwing them the ball.

This  .. they could easily look at what Cj stroud has done for Nico Collins to see how a real QB can elevate his WR… Garrett is a 1,000 yard  receiver with a bunch of scrubs. We seen him have huge games with  just competent qbs like mike white. Garrett with a real QB is gonna  bump him into the elite category of receivers. Kid is super talented. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

This  .. they could easily look at what Cj stroud has done for Nico Collins to see how a real QB can elevate his WR… Garrett is a 1,000 yard  receiver with a bunch of scrubs. We seen him have huge games with  just competent qbs like mike white. Garrett with a real QB is gonna  bump him into the elite category of receivers. Kid is super talented. 
The article accounts for Wilson level play.... But I think it's deeper that number.. this kid was the passing offense.... That is a lot of pressure... Pressing like that has to lead to more drops or incompletions. I think it's impossible to evaluate him until he has average QB play and two NFL level receivers playing next to him.

• Upvote 1

If you look at players that have left us (Berrios, Crowder, Moore)..  Every single one of them has improved their pass catch rate (Crowder and Berrios by an astonishing 15%+).

It helps when they have qbs that aren't rifling wobbly balls at their knees, or into incoming hospital situations. 

Some of that is of course due to the fact that ZW has a cannon for an arm, but a lot if it is simply inaccurate, mistimed and poorly thrown balls at weird angles that are super hard to catch for anyone (even if the stats say they should be caught and are in the acceptable trigger radius).

Zac had no idea how to help his receivers, and well it showed by a lot of their reactions.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

In the last quarter century of Jets football the most successful seasons had 1 thing in common (aside from avg/above avg QB play).  They had 2  WRs who could play.

2015 - Marshall/Decker

2010 - Edwards/Holmes

2006 - Coles/Cotchery

2004 - Moss/McCareins

2001 - Coles/Chrebet

1998 - Johnson/Chrebet

4 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

I was just thinking of that same example myself.

It’s an I’d iotic article. Bad QBs and bad OL and bad OC and he still put up gobs of yards somehow.

He needs to clean up the drops, but there’s catchable and technically-catchable. Placement and touch matters, especially when he’s running shorter routes. Firing in a fastball from point blank range to the wrong side of one’s body and/or forcing him to suddenly stop and/or twist backwards is still technically a catchable pass that hit his hand(s), but hardly the same as a drop on a throw with touch hitting in stride where it was supposed to.

Also, the author is comparing her own subjective idea of what was technically catchable for Wilson, but not making these loose assessments for anyone else in the NFL other than Wilson; then compares the two, which equates her subjective opinion with objective fact. It’s arrogant, if not lazy. Stats don’t count if you’re only applying subjective critiques to just one part alone. It’s idiotic.

Most of the numbers are on the QB or offense in general, rather than specifically on the WR. As though Garrett Wilson calls his own plays and routes in all situations. Any part of this analysis account for how often he was open and the ball wasn’t even thrown? Nope.

Fix the QB and find a serious 2nd downfield target and GW he’s a deadly weapon. Excuse me, deadlier.

I was just thinking of that same example myself.
It’s an I’d iotic article. Bad QBs and bad OL and bad OC and he still put up gobs of yards somehow.
He needs to clean up the drops, but there’s catchable and technically-catchable. Placement and touch matters, especially when he’s running shorter routes. Firing in a fastball from point blank range to the wrong side of one’s body and/or forcing him to suddenly stop and/or twist backwards is still technically a catchable pass that hit his hand(s), but hardly the same as a drop on a throw with touch hitting in stride where it was supposed to.
Also, the author is comparing her own subjective idea of what was technically catchable for Wilson, but not making these loose assessments for anyone else in the NFL other than Wilson; then compares the two, which equates her subjective opinion with objective fact. It’s arrogant, if not lazy. Stats don’t count if you’re only applying subjective critiques to just one part alone. It’s idiotic.
Most of the numbers are on the QB or offense in general, rather than specifically on the WR. As though Garrett Wilson calls his own plays and routes in all situations. Any part of this analysis account for how often he was open and the ball wasn’t even thrown? Nope.
Fix the QB and find a serious 2nd downfield target and GW he’s a deadly weapon. Excuse me, deadlier.
Agree... He still may be a better Robin.

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

Yup. Sign Calvin Ridley (who has a similar skillset to Garrett) and lets roll. 

Costello was saying on his podcast that the Jets were scared off from Ridley because of his character issues 

talented player for sure 

19 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Costello was saying on his podcast that the Jets were scared off from Ridley because of his character issues 

talented player for sure 

Exactly what sort of character does this organization look for in players? 

5 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Exactly what sort of character does this organization look for in players? 

Douglas has always been into good locker room guys - hence, drafting a lot of former captains 

Remember that Ridley had major issues even before the gambling - didn’t he basically walk away from the falcons for a year? He’s definitely a bit of a head case. 

Costello was saying they were afraid of bringing him in the NY market - I do understand the concern . 

I’d still probably go get him though. 

• Upvote 1