Woody Has To SHT Or Get Off The Pot

11 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

No extension , just fire him.  Hire Vrabel and let him run the show.  

I don't know about running the show -- I don't think he's earned that kind of equity -- but Vrabel would be a solid hire purely as a head coach.

We've actually seen him outsmart opposing head coaches and do some damage in the playoffs with undermanned TEN teams.

And he must be at least a little offended that old Bobby Kraft didn't consider him as BB's successor, which would make for some fun matchups 2x a year.

It's insane Vrabel and Pete Carroll are available, and Harbaugh was available, yet Woody has been adamant in sticking with the brothers in baldness.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The problem with this team’s construct is that few here believes that Rodgers can really be effective beyond this season.  I’d be surprised if he plays 12 games this year.  Who starts the other 5 if that’s the case?  And rodgers is likely one bad injury away from retirement.  That could happen week 5.  What are the odds they draft even a pratt as qb to possibly come in and give the team hope?  

As long as douglas and saleh are here, this team’s success will be dictated by imported veteran qbs b/c these guys don’t have the patience or job security to endure another rookie qb like wilson again.  

Agreed, and yet, if Rodgers gets off to a good start next year, this place will be talking playoffs in early October. 

the mood changes quickly, is all I’m saying 

The decision has been made. They're all coming back with some kind of disaster waiting to happen bringing in an OC-not-OC to replace but not replace Hackett. Saleh sold the concept that losing Rodgers was the sole cause of disaster last year. He's going to get his shot. 

There's no reason to extend any of them. They haven't proven anything and forcing them to justify an extension gives the team the best opportunity to get something out of this regime. If Saleh fails with Rodgers in 2024, he's running stairs at some other stadium in 2025. Douglas maybe gets an extension by blaming all the problems on Saleh and taking in a new coach. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

The decision has been made. They're all coming back with some kind of disaster waiting to happen bringing in an OC-not-OC to replace but not replace Hackett. Saleh sold the concept that losing Rodgers was the sole cause of disaster last year. He's going to get his shot. 

There's no reason to extend any of them. They haven't proven anything and forcing them to justify an extension gives the team the best opportunity to get something out of this regime. If Saleh fails with Rodgers in 2024, he's running stairs at some other stadium in 2025. Douglas maybe gets an extension by blaming all the problems on Saleh and taking in a new coach. 

You say there's no reason to extend them but in the same paragraph state that Saleh is out if he fails in 2024. Free agents know this and some will prioritize stability. It will put us at a disadvantage signing free agents but at least we have the Met Life turf to offer.

• Upvote 1

The point is Woody needs to choose one or the other because by not choosing he puts us at a disadvantage in many ways including the upcoming FA period where the Jets should be a destination because of Rodgers but as it is may be avoided. Choosing to put yourself at a disadvantage when building for a short term window with an old veteran QB is ridiculous.
Some guys are going to prioritize stability in FA and want to go somewhere where they know the coaching staff is going to be in place for at least a few years.
Choosing the "fire them" option is worse than doing nothing.

You say there's no reason to extend them but in the same paragraph state that Saleh is out if he fails in 2024. Free agents know this and some will prioritize stability. It will put us at a disadvantage signing free agents but at least we have the Met Life turf to offer.

Free agents prioritize money. Let's be real.

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:

Free agents prioritize money. Let's be real.

Free agents prioritize what is most important to them. Money, Location, Winning, etc

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2023/8/26/23846494/orlando-brown-jr-chose-bengals-over-other-offers

“The best situation in the world for me is Cincinnati. There was a few other teams involved. The New York Jets was the other option as well. They were kinda going through things with Aaron Rodgers. They had a better price, but ultimately man, this was the best situation for me,” Brown stated.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:
The point is Woody needs to choose one or the other because by not choosing he puts us at a disadvantage in many ways including the upcoming FA period where the Jets should be a destination because of Rodgers but as it is may be avoided. Choosing to put yourself at a disadvantage when building for a short term window with an old veteran QB is ridiculous.
Some guys are going to prioritize stability in FA and want to go somewhere where they know the coaching staff is going to be in place for at least a few years.

Choosing the "fire them" option is worse than doing nothing.

if you believe that then you should be for the extend them option. I happen to disagree.

16 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You are just being negative. This is the place to be and the free agents will be fighting each other to sign with the Jets. Who else has:

1. High Taxes

2. State of the art injury causing turf 

3. Complete instability 

Only the Jets. Is the perfect combination for any smart FA. They would be luck to Jet up. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

No extension , just fire him.  Hire Vrabel and let him run the show.  

What's with Vrabel? Not my choice. He is not a bad coach but not what the Jets need. We don't need another defensive run first HC here.

18 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

What's with Vrabel? Not my choice. He is not a bad coach but not what the Jets need. We don't need another defensive run first HC here.

We need an experienced coach that knows how to run a winning program. Doesn't matter if he came up on offensive, defensive or special teams side of the ball. Why should it? 

• Upvote 1

From my perspective:

• There is ZERO chance that Saleh gets extended.  He is playing for his reputation now. 
  • There is a 25%-50% chance that JD gets extended.
  • I am not seeing them hire any new front office people yet.  JD is going to have to do it himself with the lifers.  
  • If JD gets extended they will rebuild.  Maybe Vrabel gets hired and they go back to 50/50 reporting to Woody.  

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

From my perspective:

• There is ZERO chance that Saleh gets extended.  He is playing for his reputation now. 
  • There is a 25%-50% chance that JD gets extended.
  • I am not seeing them hire any new front office people yet.  JD is going to have to do it himself with the lifers.  
  • If JD gets extended they will rebuild.  Maybe Vrabel gets hired and they go back to 50/50 reporting to Woody.  

The jets may do well with rodgers but that really won’t’ have anything to do with saleh.  If douglas can fix the OL i think that’s a baseline barometer for him.  If he finds a qb as well that’s a bonus. 

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Agreed, and yet, if Rodgers gets off to a good start next year, this place will be talking playoffs in early October. 

the mood changes quickly, is all I’m saying 

Again yes, they will hopefully be in the playoff hunt as long as rodgers plays.  It just seems like it’s wholly dependent on this.  And if they do by some miracle make the playoffs and rodgers really can’t go anymore beyond this year, i expect douglas to trade for another vet qb.  

19 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The jets may do well with rodgers but that really won’t’ have anything to do with saleh.  If douglas can fix the OL i think that’s a baseline barometer for him.  If he finds a qb as well that’s a bonus. 

If I am Woody I am just too turned off by Benigno, cell phones, body building and scratch golf, in addition to the results.  I would not put the slogans in that pile because Woody likes slogans.

The Jets need a real CEO coach with expert coordinators.  

if you believe that then you should be for the extend them option. I happen to disagree.
I want to see Saleh coach with a functioning offense before I decide whether I want him fired or extended. Also, as it's been pointed out numerous times by numerous people, firing them at this point would be extremely detrimental to the team. They can't do it but I don't think that means you have to extend them right now either. We'll see which FA we miss out on and the reasons why.

3 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I don't know about running the show -- I don't think he's earned that kind of equity -- but Vrabel would be a solid hire purely as a head coach.

We've actually seen him outsmart opposing head coaches and do some damage in the playoffs with undermanned TEN teams.

And he must be at least a little offended that old Bobby Kraft didn't consider him as BB's successor, which would make for some fun matchups 2x a year.

It's insane Vrabel and Pete Carroll are available, and Harbaugh was available, yet Woody has been adamant in sticking with the brothers in baldness.

What does male pattern hair loss have to do with this?

16 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's already become painfully obvious that we're getting second rate coaching hires and front office personnel are fleeing like rats on a sinking ship. Not many want to sign up for a lame duck season.

If you don't think free agents are going to consider that a negative too you're fooling yourself. I'm not saying it will be the only factor but it will be a consideration for a lot of guys. We're taking what should be a FA destination during the Rodgers window and making it more difficult on ourselves.

I personally think Saleh is in over his head at HC but really think Woody needs to extend him or fire him. I have more faith in JD than most but feel the same applies for the same reasons.

I fear that continuing the lame duck year will end up shooting us in the foot and wasting any chances of the Rodgers window striking gold. BTW, a strong experienced head coach is there for the taking in vrabel.

Woody should give him an extension. He can still fire him after next season if it doesn't go well. If it goes very well, then he can extend the extension. Extending Selah is a no risk move 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Vrabel is so overrated around these parts. What has he accomplished? Hes a mediocre coach at best. He coached in possibly the weakest division in the nfl. Hes had an offense rank in the top 10 one time in 6 years. Ditto for his defense (1 time in 6 years)  And has a losing record in the playoffs. 

I just don’t understand why everyone here loves vrabel. The titans were the definition of “meh” his entire 6 years as a coach 

Vrable is not the answer...

Bring back...

REX

6 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

We need an experienced coach that knows how to run a winning program. Doesn't matter if he came up on offensive, defensive or special teams side of the ball. Why should it? 

Because the next coach will need to develop a QB, and just running behind Henry 80% of the time doesnt mean you have a good offensive philosophy. Being defensive shouldnt matter but outside of Gase it's all we hire and they all have sucked on the offense,