Woody Johnson Opens up on Frustrations With Jets Struggles

32 minutes ago, bitonti said:

When wilson came out my biggest concern was durability 

In 3 years he's missed a month with a knee x2 and a month with a dehydration concussion 

All his play issues aside he can't take what other players would consider normal nfl punishment 

I think ZW was very tough this year.  He took a ton of hits and kept on going.  

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think ZW was very tough this year.  He took a ton of hits and kept on going.  

ah well and i think any NFL player that misses a quarter of the season his first three years running is probably not going to make it long term

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Why is Rodgers a con-man?   He agreed to take on the challenge here.  He got hurt 4 plays in.  What was he going to do?

I will admit he's a garbage GM but I don't think that makes him a con-man.

he took 100 mil from Woody, got 6 of  his player friends and Hackett jobs they didn't deserve and he's got so much cap hit inbound he basically controls the roster

Aaron Rodgers is like that dude who built the  monorails in the Simpsons 

happy season 4 GIF

• Haha 2

Hess was a man's man, a war hero, a gentleman, a captain of industry, and an overall bad ass. Unfortunately the team was mismanaged for quite some time but he almost had Eliot Wolf as GM and Mike Holmgren as the head coach locked up in the early 90s. That was an absolute shame that it fell through.
They should build a statue for him!17da28bdcc08b9c91bfa018ced53e844.jpg
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

ah well and i think any NFL player that misses a quarter of the season his first three years running is probably not going to make it long term

Last year when he missed those 1st few games (I think 4 games) with some non-contact knee injury, I was worried he might be frail.  This year, though, I thought he was plenty tough.  

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

he took 100 mil from Woody, got 6 of  his player friends and Hackett jobs they didn't deserve and he's got so much cap hit inbound he basically controls the roster

Aaron Rodgers is like that dude who built the  monorails in the Simpsons 

happy season 4 GIF

I agree AR8 is a really crappy GM but I think he truly believed in these guys.  In other words, I don't think he was doing this stuff only to get his friends paid or something like that.

19 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Backup and redshirt are not synonymous. No one ever really explained that one. 

We all know what it means. Qb or player participates in all football practices, etc. Yet is not eligible to come in a real game for that year. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Last year when he missed those 1st few games (I think 4 games) with some non-contact knee injury, I was worried he might be frail.  This year, though, I thought he was plenty tough.  

anyone who starts in the NFL and misses that much time can be considered frail 

the stat that is relevant is often "years since a full season" 

Wilson's never had a full season. Guys get more hurt as they age not less. 

by the standards of the league, Wilson is frail, AVT is frail. Becton is frail. 

and by Sept 2024 Aaron will be 18 months away from starting and finishing a game, also frail 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I've been saying this for weeks. 

The only thing dumber than taking a defensive player with #10 overall would be taking a player who can't help the team this year and then will almost assuredly be replaced by the new administration in 2025. 

Yet, arguably the best way to attract good offensive coaches next year would be to take mccarthy.

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I agree AR8 is a really crappy GM but I think he truly believed in these guys.  In other words, I don't think he was doing this stuff only to get his friends paid or something like that.

it's duplicitous to say on one hand the franchise of Green Bay isn't doing enough for me I want to go to another team, and then import all your flunkies from Green Bay 

You might be right tho he could be just dumb enough to think Cobb has more football left in him. And that Hackett is a really good coach. Just like he's dumb enough to believe he can still play. 

either way the Jets got conned big time and when it's all said and done will probably be the worst trade in team history 

20 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The only thing I can think of is that AR8 has almost always been healthy so they figured that would continue.  Probably JD wanted to "go for it" last year and didn't think it QB2 was a good investment (as if AR8 goes down, they were probably going to lose anyway).  Plus they were already paying ZW a good chunk of money and there's probably only so much you want to pay a position group (and between AR8 and ZW, they were already spending a ton).  

Yes, another JD rookie gm mistake. AR is 40, you are putting him in new environment, behind 1 of worst OLs in NFL. Giants had a very bad OL too, but at least they invested in the qb2 and went and got 1 of the best backups in all of football ( tyrod Taylor ). I understand the argument of putting even more $$ into 1 position. But qb is by far most important position in football. You need a good number 2. Especially if your line sucks. Not like they didn’t have the $. They threw away 8 mil for dalvin cook. When it seemed every other gm concluded he was washed up and not worth asking price. Except jd of course ha.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Grandy said:

This is so embarrassing. They're really trying to make Zach the scapegoat? Great look once again.

8 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Zach is an easy scapegoat because he sucks and plays by far the most important position 

8 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Woody overcompensating for the fact he drafted Zach and his been his biggest cheerleader last 3 years

I guess Zach stopped answering Brick Johnson’s texts.  

6 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

We all know what it means. Qb or player participates in all football practices, etc. Yet is not eligible to come in a real game for that year. 

Yeah. Which is why I always was curious why no one like Cimini or Hughes asked Saleh or Douglas that directly. Also weird that Wilson played in preseason, but not all that much. You would have thought he could have used the extra reps in situations that don’t count.

• Upvote 2

Woody is a disgrace.  Even if he truly thinks that, there was absolutely no reason to say what he said. 
And it also hurt his team's negotiating position as far as trying to trade ZW.
It also hurt your feelings, amirite?

30 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Great post!  I was confident ZW was playing much better this past year.  

Do you have a URL, btw?

I don't think that write-up you replied to is accurate.

I saw a chart on off-target vs accurate throws somewhere on Twitter recently.

Will post if I find it.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it's duplicitous to say on one hand the franchise of Green Bay isn't doing enough for me I want to go to another team, and then import all your flunkies from Green Bay 

You might be right tho he could be just dumb enough to think Cobb has more football left in him. And that Hackett is a really good coach. Just like he's dumb enough to believe he can still play. 

either way the Jets got conned big time and when it's all said and done will probably be the worst trade in team history 

I think AR8 loves Nate Hackett as an OC probably because he gives him the leeway to do whatever he wants.  My hunch is that Peyton Manning loved Adam Gase for the same reason.  Honestly, as long as AR8 is the QB, I don't care if Nate Hackett is our OC. 

I do think AR8 truly believed in Cobb, btw.  And even if he thought Cobb was getting old, he probably also thought "a guy like this will change your culture and show the younger guys how to train/play/etc" the same way BP brought in guys like Dave Meggett and Keith Byars.

I definitely think AR8 has Woody's ear as far as trying to change the culture around here.  Unfortunately, AR8's guys have been nothing but busts.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He was so bad that our one good WR had only 95 receptions last year.  And he was also so bad that we still need to completely overhaul the OL plus bring in WRs in order for our HOF QB to succeed next year.

It's really "outrageousthat ZW couldn't succeed with a punt returner as his WR2 last year.  And this was despite having the luxury of having 1/5 of an OL!  Can you believe he couldn't make it work?! 

BRUH

58 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This thread will probably be merged as it's basically two existing news stories mushed together 

But before it does I wanted to say this best Western thing is insulting to the fine people at best Western 

Zach wilson is more like staying at the circus circus an all time low 

LOL

Living in LA, Vegas is like a 4 to 5 hour drive, so some people around here go quite frequently.

Never been to Circus Circus, but have heard some revolting things.

Vegas hotels aren't the place to go cheap, and you can think of it this way:

Money you set aside for a clean hotel experience is better spent than money lost at the tables, slots, overpriced food, etc.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Honestly, as long as AR8 is the QB, I don't care if Nate Hackett is our OC. 

Hackett has a QB friendly system as long as the QB is Aaron Rodgers

it's no way to run a football program 

1 hour ago, nyjets1969 said:

He is right but it's all lip service to appease the angry season ticket holders. If he cared he would have cleaned house and hired Harbaugh.

Yep.  Evidence:  Roughly 25 % of the posters in this thread are lapping his comments up. 

44 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Bryce Young is 5'10", 194 lbs.

Zach Wilson is 6'2", 214 lbs.

Zach has proven to be a pretty tough player.   Bryce Young is tiny.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/4685720/bryce-young

image.png.e9df05e2f13bce4423f73b91fecf6586.png

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/4361259/zach-wilson

image.png.6a814e5d6eee154ca789c0b082eaa534.png

Tough?  Zach Wilson has proven to be tough?  We’re talking about the same guy who nearly tore up his knee tripping on a blade of grass, blamed the wind for a bad game and was “reluctant” to play, right?

• Post of the Week 1

43 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The only thing I can think of is that AR8 has almost always been healthy so they figured that would continue.  Probably JD wanted to "go for it" last year and didn't think it QB2 was a good investment (as if AR8 goes down, they were probably going to lose anyway).  Plus they were already paying ZW a good chunk of money and there's probably only so much you want to pay a position group (and between AR8 and ZW, they were already spending a ton).  

Based on injury statistics and anecdotal evidence, the Jets have one had the worst medical / training staffs in the league for awhile.

The Chargers and Ravens as well seem to perennially suffer from an inordinate number of injuries.

I remember that HN scene where Rodgers talks about trying to push off and elevate while holding that big medicine ball and saying it was something he'd never been asked to do before in his career.

Not saying that caused his Achilles rip.

But I'm not sure it helped either.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Woody isn’t going to hire any GM or coach that’ll look to exclude him from meeting rooms, from draft prep, from getting involved in free agency. Woody loves having these dudes having to come before him and bend the knee so they can get a few million to sign a player. We have 25 years of evidence with this.

This.

But, we're stuck with him.  We can't even hope that a Trump victory might mean him getting some other ambassadorship job. We all know how well that went.

30 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Yet, arguably the best way to attract good offensive coaches next year would be to take mccarthy.

Eh, McCarthy has the physical tools to be good, but remember, if you are taking a QB at 10, you are taking the 3rd or 4th QB in the draft, at best. I’m not convinced that guy (whoever it is) would attract a top offensive coach, even if he ended up being the best QB of the bunch in the long run. 

55 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Agree Woody is an idiot. I don’t think it effects anything, everyone knows what Zach is 🙈. That earlier report from scouts hurt more. Woody wasn’t lying though. The genius Joe Douglas said last spring “ Zach is going to sit and watch rodgers, as a REDSHIRT yr.”  No other gm would consider “ redshirt yr” same as backup qb. 

This is the part nobody bothered to question.

"Redshirt year" means the bro never sees the field.

In no universe other than Jet land does "Redshirt year" = "yeah, but he's also our backup"

• Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Eh, McCarthy has the physical tools to be good, but remember, if you are taking a QB at 10, you are taking the 3rd or 4th QB in the draft at best. I’m not convinced that guy (whoever it is) would attract a top offensive coach, even if he ended up being the best QB of the bunch in the long run. 

I disagree with this.  Mayfield, darnold and rosen went before the nfl mvp.  

I think lots of new coaching candidates would like to work with mccarthy b/c he has elite tools and has already had an nfl education

Just now, Augustiniak said:

I disagree with this.  Mayfield, darnold and rosen went before the nfl mvp.  

Right, but how many great offensive coaches would Lamar have attracted before he ever played an NFL snap? And on a downtrodden franchise like the Jerts? You're saying the Jets could attract a big offensive coach because of JJ McCarthy and I'm saying: Sure, maybe after he turns into a good NFL QB first. 

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think lots of new coaching candidates would like to work with mccarthy b/c he has elite tools and has already had an nfl education

We'll see 

Just now, slimjasi said:

Right, but how many great offensive coaches would Lamar have attracted before he ever played an NFL snap? And on a downtrodden franchise like the Jerts? You're saying the Jets could attract a big offensive coach because of JJ McCarthy and I'm saying: Sure, maybe after he turns into a good NFL QB first. 

We'll see 

The innovative coaches want to work with qbs with elite skill sets.  Guys like Hackett can only work when the qb is so good they don’t need an OC anyway