Where The Jets Really Are - Accept The Realities.

54 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The reality is that this administration whiffed on drafting a QB at #2. This is a death sentence for most GMs and coaching staffs — missing on a top five QB is almost always going to lead to everyone involved getting fired.

But because the rest of the “rebuild” has gone pretty well and the team is flush with young talent the admin was given a mea culpa to go “all in” on an aging Hall of Fame QB. He then promptly tore his Achilles and the org had no answer because they were saddled with the #2 pick bust as the backup due to his salary.

We are now entering a “must win” season with all hopes and prayers firmly based in the idea that the 40 year old QB who hasn’t looked good since 2021 and is coming off an Achilles injury will play at a high level and save us.

Thats the “reality.”

My projection? 2025 everyone is fired and we’re rebuilding from scratch.

It’s a real problem b/c the gm and hc know they need a good season to save both their jobs.  This means rodgers staying healthy which is entirely out of their hands.  What douglas can control is how he goes about fixing the OL.  The 3 biggest needs are tackle, wr and backup qb.  But another problem is that b/c these 2 guys are on their last leg, they don’t have the cushion to have a guy like trubisky come in and suck and then they turn to woody and say look, rodgers got hurt again, we’ll get ‘em next year, like the bad news bears.  That’s game over for these guys.  So they need a viable backup qb in a market where the nfl just saw virtually every starter miss games and backup qbs really shine in some instances.  So guys like Howell are in demand and even if they leave their teams there’s going to be a big market.  And it’s been widely discussed here already that it seems unlikely a good backup qb comes here when rodgers is the clear starter and if they don’t make the playoffs the whole front office and coaching staff is gone and this backup is nowhere.  So IDK what they do.  They don’t have a lot of cap space to throw a ton of money at a backup qb.  Even if they trade back and get another day 2 pick, are they even bold enough to invest one in a qb like Pratt?  It seems we’re headed for big changes after rodgers tears something and goes into the darkness and the voice tells him to retire. 

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

There is evidence that Rodgers fixes everything.  The Green Bay Packers.

Lol, not the most recent version of Rodgers that had CLEARLY regressed before his awesome season of 4 snaps. With the exception of Brady pretty much all QBs fall off a cliff at Rodgers age. Expecting him to regain his MVP form is incredibly unlikely. And even if he is much better than 2 years ago we are still coached by Saleh and JD is the GM who just by their lame duck status will make bad decisions to save their job many of which will just be ass covering moves to try and explain away another bad season.

Rodgers is a boat anchor, not a savior.

On 2/14/2024 at 1:56 PM, Augustiniak said:

The good news is that we’re so close to cleaning house and drafting another qb.  Yea.  

I look at it as we get closer and closer to this everyday!  Of course the pace of making this decision will be greatly accelerated when the new season kicks-off and Woody and this fanbase quickly sees their season disintegrate rapidly into a repeat of the last few seasons.

22 hours ago, Claymation said:

They aren't 1 player away, they are an OL unit away. That has been the achilles heel of this team for some time. Injuries played a huge part of the unit sucking. But backups like Newman and Mitchell were also a problem. The fact that the OC, HC and LC deferred to them instead of Warren and Hanson speaks volume how this CS sucks at evaluating talent. 

We need OL, backup qb and WR2

2 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

You do know our starting qb is 40 and coming off a serious injury or I guess you still think the jury is out on Zach?

Again, if the backup QB sees significant amount of time, this team is screwed.

The Jets are trying to win a Super Bowl, Tannehill isn't going to get them there.

The only way this team will compete for the title is to keep that 40 year old QB upright. That's on the FO and the CS. Anything short of that will be a failed season.

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

Again, if the backup QB sees significant amount of time, this team is screwed.

The Jets are trying to win a Super Bowl, Tannehill isn't going to get them there.

The only way this team will compete for the title is to keep that 40 year old QB upright. That's on the FO and the CS. Anything short of that will be a failed season.

We won 7 games with the league’s worst qb.  If we had a semi-decent backup qb last season we probably make the playoffs but we just didn’t know yet about Zach and really we still don’t know right?

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

We won 7 games with the league’s worst qb.  If we had a semi-decent backup qb last season we probably make the playoffs but we just didn’t know yet about Zach and really we still don’t know right?

My expectations are a little higher than just making the playoffs.

As Ricky Bobby once said "If you ain't first, you're last".

On 2/17/2024 at 10:42 AM, LIJetsFan said:

My 2 cents:  There ought to be a playoff mandate this year.  The owner stating that there isn't one confirms his status as worst owner.     

Personally I think playoff mandates are dumb.  If the Jets get in at 9-8 and Rodgers is mediocre at best, that means all is great and no changes are needed?  What if Rodgers stinks, gets hurt, and Jacoby Brisset and the defense carry them to 7 seed. All good? Don’t think so.

45 minutes ago, Jets and Redskins said:

This team needs to win the division and make some noise in the playoffs. There are no free passes this year, injures or not.

I seriously doubt that we win the division or make noise in the playoffs. I think we squeak into the playoffs and get bounced early (that's our ceiling with a perfect offseason).

Saleh gets fired and we get a real head coach in here in 2025 and hopefully another good offseason and 2025 we could make a real run before Rodgers retires.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

I seriously doubt that we win the division or make noise in the playoffs. I think we squeak into the playoffs and get bounced early (that's our ceiling with a perfect offseason).

Saleh gets fired and we get a real head coach in here in 2025 and hopefully another good offseason and 2025 we could make a real run before Rodgers retires.

Very possible that could happen. It's hard to say we have never got to see what this team looked like with Rodgers. We need to upgrade oline, Wr, and add a DT to replace Jefferson.

The Dolphins and Bills are both over the cap that should help us. With all the hype last year anything less them the division title is a failure.

Honestly, if we don't win the division and make some noise in the playoffs its time for the GM and Coach to go.

The fans gave this team because of injuries last year a pass. There is no pass this year it now or never.

5 minutes ago, Jets and Redskins said:

Very possible that could happen. It's hard to say we have never got to see what this team looked like with Rodgers.

The Dolphins and Bills are both over the cap that should help us. With all the hype last year anything less them the division title is a failure.

Honestly, if we don't win the division and make some noise in the playoffs its time for the GM and Coach to go.

The fans gave this team because of injuries last year a pass. There is no pass this year it now or never.

• While I personally think we should have moved on from Saleh this offseason he has had the worst QB play in his 3 years here so let's see what he can do with a real QB
  • Cap is pseudo limiting. Good teams figure it out. I expect both to be about the same, competing for a division
  • I think Douglas stays in this scenario and something Woody said during his most recent public interview which has been overlooked and is extremely telling, "we have the talent we just need to figure out how to deploy it." Douglas is back granted he does what he needs to do this offseason with the OL and WRs
  • Agreed next year is make or break 

Been reading a lot of reactionary posts about how messed up the Jets are.  Also been hearing a lot of mud being thrown at the Jets by the sports media pundits.   Traumatized Jets fans and blovating media pundits should get a hold of reality.
Here is the reality.
1. The 2023 season saw the Jets field the worst NFL offense I have ever seen. That is a reality
2. The historically bad offense was absolutely a direct result of Rodgers going down.
3. The Jets have one of the best defenses in football.  This defense will be in tact for the 2024 season.  That is a reality.
4. The Jets have one of the best if not the best kicker and punter tandem in the league.  There was and will be a lot of hidden yardage in their favor just with those two legs. That is a reality.
5. The Jets offensive line play and manpower was awful.  Much of that was a pure manpower issue.  Much of it was related to the QB play and the inept job the OC did.
6. Once there is an experienced QB under center, the line problems will improve. 
7. Rodgers is the de facto OC.  Once he is back, the play calling and line calls will do a complete 180. Does not matter if Hackett holds a clip board or his pecker. 
8. Lots of talk about the "40 year old" QB that breaks down.   Rodgers has never been injury prone.  After a catastrophic injury, we saw him nearly ready to play this season.  That does not look like a broken down player to me.  Looks like a motivated and tuff one.  The side show with Rodgers and that putz/schmuck/twit boy Jimmy Kimmel was exactly just that.  A side show.  Rodgers is not clown on the field.  He was just trolling a leftist media shill for the fun of it.  Rodgers wasn't harsh enough on that little pud-knocker for my liking.  
9. Those saying JD is a total failure.  The 2022 draft may very well have been the best in Jets history.  That is a reality
10. Those saying Saleh is a bad coach.  The defense has been the pearl of the team.  Saleh runs the defense.  That is a reality.  
Look it all over and the logical summary is that the Jets were a QB away from being a winning team.
Going forward to the off-season
Rodgers will be back and 100 % next season and eager to show up his detractors.  
JD *knows*.... REALLY knows that he needs to bring in manpower for the line as well as a good back-up QB.

Saleh is the head coach, he gets blame for the offense

3 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

So Zach it is!

Why would I want Zach? I just don't think a backup QB is that important, if Rodgers goes down again and the season is over.

Your obsession with Zach is unhealthy, you should think about joining the Zachoholic Anonymous. They meet on Tuesdays. I would hate to see you end up like "Carl".

“Holy s—t. Holy s—t. ‘I can’t take any more disappointment.’ That’s what he used to say when we’d watch the Jets games together. ‘I can’t take any more disappointment.’ That’s an exact quote.”

I wonder if you wake up in the middle of the night screaming out "ZACH!". It's ok, he won't be here next year to hurt you.