Saleh not expected to attend scouting combine ***UPDATE- may be attending now****

19 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

"It's an expense few teams take on" is a statement that is provably false. Now for some facts on training facility costs by team:

- The LA Chargers spent $270M.

- The Cowboys spent $260M

- The Dolphins spent $135M.

- The Broncos spent $175M.

- The Jaguars spent $125M.

- The Eagles spent $112M.

- The Falcons spent 109M.

At this point, I'm bored with finding teams that have outspent the Jets on training facility costs. That's not the crux of my argument. For an owner as rich as Woody, in a market as big as NY, he is cheap. It's all relative. He doesn't pay head coaches and spends enough that people like you are willing to defend him.

And wonderful, Mike McCarthy (who nobody wanted), was interested in the Jets. As I said, no head coaches with other options have any interest in the Jets. There's a reason why Woody constantly fills the head coach position with assistant coaches and the Adam Gase's of the world.

Here we go again, we’re going to defend the idea that he doesn’t spend, that saving $2 mil is what drives them after spending a small fortune by what others have paid for a training facilities 15 years after he spent on the Jet facilities.  
Nobody would ever come to the Jets to coach, that tired old line, and when they do there’s some excuse why.  Others were interested in McCarthy, he chose to concentrate on the Jets gig.  
Curious, who were the big time, big ticket HCs he passed by to save a couple of bucks when he hired Gase for 6M 5 years ago?  Who were the big ticket people he passed over for Saleh?  Who were they? 
Actually let’s stop, you’re happy calling the Jets cheap, fine, whatever s your day

26 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Here we go again, we’re going to defend the idea that he doesn’t spend, that saving $2 mil is what drives them after spending a small fortune by what others have paid for a training facilities 15 years after he spent on the Jet facilities.  
Nobody would ever come to the Jets to coach, that tired old line, and when they do there’s some excuse why.  Others were interested in McCarthy, he chose to concentrate on the Jets gig.  
Curious, who were the big time, big ticket HCs he passed by to save a couple of bucks when he hired Gase for 6M 5 years ago?  Who were the big ticket people he passed over for Saleh?  Who were they? 
Actually let’s stop, you’re happy calling the Jets cheap, fine, whatever s your day

Woody Johnson has never shelled out top dollar for a head coach. Challenge me on this, and I'm all ears. But answer me this - who was the last head coach under Woody's tenure to crack the top 15-20 in salary? Here's a hint: you won't find names like Robert Saleh, Adam Gase, Todd Bowles, Rex Ryan, Eric Mangini, Herman Edwards, or Al Groh on that list.

So, where's the 'big fish'? When has Woody ever opened the wallet for a head coach?

And it's not just about who he's hired. Let's talk about who's even been willing to entertain a conversation. The coaching elite - Bill Cowher, Bill Belichick, Sean Payton, Jon Gruden, Jim Harbaugh, Andy Reid, Pete Carroll - at various points over the last two decades, all potentially in the mix, yet Woody couldn't even get them to pick up the phone.

Why? The answer is glaringly obvious: he's cheap. It's a well-known fact, a reputation Woody has crafted for himself among the coaching circles. It's why there's no dialogue, no negotiation, no chance. Woody's reluctance to invest in top-tier coaching talent is not just a pattern; it's a proven fact, with no evidence to the contrary. The question remains - when will this change?

• Upvote 1

I’m done but I’ll bet you this, Grohs salary was top 15-20. 
Salehs money was what 1st time DC/OCs got to become HCs.  Looking at a list of HCs hired 3+ years ago were paid and then 8 coaches a year were added to compare

On 2/23/2024 at 2:48 PM, T0mShane said:

Good convo, but two things:

1. It’s absolutely part of his job to deal with the mongrels and address the public perception of the team. A large part of the reason he was hired was because he was this high-energy, fist-pumping, charismatic figure in San Francisco that was going to be the marketable forward face of a moribund post-Gase, post-Bowles rebuild. His personality and aesthetic is an asset that he should appeal to. The Jets vibes are catastrophic right now, and I’m surprised Woody isn’t pushing him out in front of the cameras more.

2. The difference with guys like Macdonald, McVay, etc is that none of those guys are as close to losing their jobs the way Saleh is. I get that he has to win to keep the job in any case, but he also has to lead from the front. I get that grabbing a podium at the Combine isn’t going to be the determining factor in the W/L this fall, but nothing he accomplishes in his office next week will either. 

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Saleh gets the chance every year to meet with literally every prospect that might help his football team and he’s still saying, “nah, I’m good. I’ll just talk to like, 20 of them a week before the draft.” I used to give him the benefit of the doubt regarding Zach, but if he wants to sit on his ass while Joe Douglas stocks the cupboard with effete pussies, that’s ultimately on him. Best of luck to Robert at his next job. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Saleh gets the chance every year to meet with literally every prospect that might help his football team and he’s still saying, “nah, I’m good. I’ll just talk to like, 20 of them a week before the draft.” I used to give him the benefit of the doubt regarding Zach, but if he wants to sit on his ass while Joe Douglas stocks the cupboard with effete pussies, that’s ultimately on him. Best of luck to Robert at his next job. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Hysterical that Florio put Saleh on blast specifically. The responses are gold.

Remember that quote Saleh had about looking for players who love football and not love what football gives them? He was telling on himself. I can’t imagine not being present for the senior bowl or combine in a  do or die season. Guys who put together draft boards for fun in their spare time want to be there. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Also to add, everything we thought we were getting with Saleh is what Detroit got with Campbell. Also funny the Lions turned down Saleh. Here’s Campbell interviewing Laporta at….the combine.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Also to add, everything we thought we were getting with Saleh is what Detroit got with Campbell. Also funny the Lions turned down Saleh. Here’s Campbell interviewing Laporta at….the combine.

He’d be more like Campbell if he had the guts to stand up for LaFleur instead of letting him take the fall for the drafting of Zach Wilson. He lets Douglas stick him with zero veteran help in year one, then has to beg for Flacco in year two, then helps sell the “Redshirt” bullsh*t with Zach last year. Ultimately, Saleh will lose this job because he didn’t have the guts to be a head coach, particularly the head coach of this dumpster fire

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

He is the coach not the scout 

they don’t pay the scouts to just go with who gave the coach the best prepared response that they learned at XPE

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

He is the coach not the scout 

they don’t pay the scouts to just go with who gave the coach the best prepared response that they learned at XPE

Given this narrow definition of what a “coach” does, why does Saleh have to be present on game days? He’s just the coach. He coaches.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

saleh reconsidering now? Lol

He joins Rams coach Sean McVay, Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy, Jets coach Robert Saleh (although that might be changing; stay tuned), and presumably 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan (we’re waiting for confirmation on Shanahan) as head coaches skipping the event

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Given this narrow definition of what a “coach” does, why does Saleh have to be present on game days? He’s just the coach. He coaches.

5/10

when JD polled the room when he was on the clock , the final voice was the director of college scouting.  He didn’t poll the coaches. 

The least valuable interview happens at the combine.  They are prepared at the academies on how to answer every type of question and even how each team conducts the interview, who tries to trick you and who doesn’t  

The most valuable information is gathered in October by the area scout talking to college coaches and teammates. 

The scouting department puts the draft board together the week before the draft.   

A guy telling Saleh that he would play in the parking lot because he really loves ball won’t even be a part of that conversation  

this is such a weird thing to get hung up on  

If this is what this place is going to be like all off season it’s eventually going to be just the last 10 guys here to cry about everything lol 

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

saleh reconsidering now? Lol

He joins Rams coach Sean McVay, Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy, Jets coach Robert Saleh (although that might be changing; stay tuned), and presumably 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan (we’re waiting for confirmation on Shanahan) as head coaches skipping the event

Woody made a phone call after several hundred RT’s 😂

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Larz said:

3/10

Show me the franchise’s that don’t use the scouting department to scout, instead they prefer to have the coaches do the scouting 

Larz we are not suggesting that Saleh drive out to Eastern Michigan in September to scout a UDFA lineman. Thx

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Larz we are not suggesting that Saleh drive out to Eastern Michigan in September to scout a UDFA lineman. Thx

0/10

You are suggesting that combine interviews with the coach matter when the GM is on the clock. They don’t 

12 minutes ago, Larz said:

0/10

You are suggesting that combine interviews with the coach matter when the GM is on the clock. They don’t 

It’s your understanding that coaches show up to minicamp and there are twenty new guys that “scouts” have delivered to them sight unseen. 

• Haha 3

Totally fine if these guys are not going to spend max time scouting an interviewing and such but like i said before stay the F**K away from he war room on draft day.

Saleh influenced douglas and talks to him a lot in the war room, tanny let rex make ridiculously stupid picks.

Sit in the corner let the gm and his guys do their job uninterpreted and then make the draftee phone call if you like.

The extent of coaching involvement should be telling the gm in earlier meetings the type of players he wants then get out of the way.

Half of Bellichicks down fall is he had the worst gm in the leauge for many of his later years.