~~~NFL Combine Day 1 - Linebackers and Defensive Lineman~~~

The Jets will probably be looking to draft a D Tackle this year, but how high do they go?   Probably mid to later rounder.  Maybe they draft a DE in the mid rounds if they just love a certain guy.  They have a history of taking small linebackers later hoping to find  Fred Warner 2.0.  If they pick a rush end anywhere in this draft it ill be a laughable mistake.

It will be to our general benefit if a couple of the rush ends and maybe top Dlineman put up sparkling numbers which could push them into the top 10 and give us a better shot at what we want.

Defensive Ends:

• Jared Verse, FSU
  • Chop Robinson, Penn State
  • Laiatu Latu, UCLA
  • Dallas Turner, Alabama
  • Austin Booker, Kansas
  • Darius Robinson, Missouri
  • Chris Braswell, Alabama
  • Adisa Isaac, Penn State
  • Bralen Trice, Washington
  • Gabriel Murphy, UCLA
  • Brandon Dorlus, Oregon
  • Brennan Jackson, Washington State
  • Javon Solomon, Troy
  • Marshawn Kneeland, Western Michigan
  • Xavier Thomas, Clemson
  • Jonah Elliss, Utah
  • Myles Cole, Texas Tech
  • Braiden McGregor, Michigan
  • Jalyx Hunt, Houston Christian University
  • Mohamed Kamara, Colorade State
  • Zion Tupuola-Fetui, Washington
  • Eyabi Okie-Anoma, Charlotte
  • Nelson Ceaser, Houston
  • Cedric Johnson, Mississippi
  • Javontae Jean-Baptiste, Notre Dame
  • Eric Watts, Connecticut
  • Jaylen Harrell, Michigan
  • Khalid Duke. Kansas State
  • Trajan Jeffcoat, Arkansas
  • David Ugwoegbu, Houston
  • Solomon Byrd, USC

Defensive Tackles:

• Byron Murphy II, Texas
  • T’Vondre Sweat, Texas
  • Jer’Zhan Newton, Illinois
  • Kris Jenkins, Michigan
  • Braden Fiske, FSU
  • Ruke Orhorhoro, Clemson
  • Fabien Lovett, Sr., FSU
  • Marcus Harris, Auburn
  • Mekhi Wingo, LSU
  • Michael Hall Jr., Ohio State
  • DeWayne Carter, Duke
  • Tyler Davis, Clemson
  • Maason Smith, LSU
  • Leonard Taylor III, Miami
  • Justin Rogers, Auburn
  • McKinley Jackson, Texas A&M
  • Jordan Jefferson, LSU
  • Jaden Crumedy, Mississippi State
  • Gabe Hall, Baylor
  • Justin Eboigbe, Alabama
  • Keith Randolph Jr., Illinois
  • Myles Murphy, North Carolina
  • Logan Lee, Iowa
  • Zion Logue, Georgia

Linebackers:

• Junior Colson, Michigan
  • Jeremiah Trotter Jr., Clemson
  • Edgerrin Cooper, Texas A&M
  • Payton Wilson, N.C. State
  • Steele Chambers, Ohio State
  • Cedric Gray, North Carolina
  • Jordan Magee, Temple
  • Nathaniel Watson, Mississippi State
  • Ty’Ron Hopper, Missouri
  • Aaron Casey, Indiana
  • Curtis Jacobs, Penn State
  • Marist Liufau, Notre Dame
  • Tatum Bethune, FSU
  • Kalen DeLoach, FSU
  • Tommy Eichenburg, Ohio State
  • Darius Muasau, UCLA
  • Jaylan Ford, Texas
  • Edefuan Ulofoshio, Washington
  • Tyrice Knight, Texas-El Paso
  • Trevin Wallace, Kentucky
  • Michael Barrett, Michigan
  • JD Bertrand, Notre Dame
  • Maema Njongmeta, Wisconsin
  • Jontrey Hunter, Georgia State
  • Easton Gibbs, Wyoming
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, section314 said:

Could see a run stuffing DT with one of our 2 fourth rounders. The defense as a whole really felt the loss of Reed . He was really good vs run. You and I have discussed Payton Wilson, and you know how much I would like him. 😎

Do you mean Al Woods?  Reed is the good CB people wants to trade for some reason.  Woods is a run stuffer and old and should come back cheap.  Quinton Jefferson was a solid every down DT that also got injured.  I think they would like them both back.  Big bodied run stuffing DTs are no longer a draft priority, particularly for 4-3/wide 9 teams.  They should be able to get some fair quality late, but keep in mind these guys usually take some time to develop.  Of course, they might provide some serviceable snaps in the meantime.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Do you mean Al Woods?  Reed is the good CB people wants to trade for some reason.  Woods is a run stuffer and old and should come back cheap.  Quinton Jefferson was a solid every down DT that also got injured.  I think they would like them both back.  Big bodied run stuffing DTs are no longer a draft priority, particularly for 4-3/wide 9 teams.  They should be able to get some fair quality late, but keep in mind these guys usually take some time to develop.  Of course, they might provide some serviceable snaps in the meantime.

Yes, Woods. I’m embarrassed. Thanks for not blasting me out of the park.😎

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, section314 said:

Yes, Woods. I’m embarrassed. Thanks for not blasting me out of the park.😎

That would be pretty dickish.  Typos are typos.  I tend to have three in every post.  The main reason I pointed it out was to find out whether you meant Woods who is more run stopper or Jefferson who is more every down DT.  I think they missed them both because the other DT are primarily fringe DE - JFM, Clemons, Solomon Thomas.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

That would be pretty dickish.  Typos are typos.  I tend to have three in every post.  The main reason I pointed it out was to find out whether you meant Woods who is more run stopper or Jefferson who is more every down DT.  I think they missed them both because the other DT are primarily fringe DE - JFM, Clemons, Solomon Thomas.

Woods was a big loss.

There is no Peter Boulware or Bruce Smith in this draft. The closest blue chip is Edgerrin Cooper at linebacker, but that's about it. Its not a bad class , it's actually kinda deep. But it's just a lot of solid prospects in the front 7

Chop Robinson has elite traits but his production hasn't really matched his athletic ability which can be a red flag. That being said his flashes, bend and explosiveness off the snap is top notch. He also has underrated power.

Darius Robinson reminds me of Gregory Rousseau with his length and stride. 

A sleeper edge rusher to keep an eye on is Eyabi Okie from Charlotte. He played at Michigan the year prior and he has excellent traits. 

Austin Booker looks the part and is intriguing with his length and power 

Mohamed Kamara and Javon Solomon are Robert Mathis/ James Houston archetype pass rushers and can be had in the 3-5 rds I think. Love their quickness and abilities to dip around the corner 

The best dt in this draft is Byron Murphy. I think he will possibly go in the top 15 maybe even a little higher. He reminds me of Corey Simon and can do everything. Great quickness, power, leverage, his production is awesome. He's only 6'1 maybe and around 300. If he was a legitimate 6'3 and had longer arms he would be a top 5 pick. Excellent penetration 3tech imo

Bralen Trice is not an elite athlete but does everything well and just has a natural feel for getting to the QB. Great effort and strength. He reminds me of Trey Hendrickson

Gabriel Murphy from UCLA is a great athlete but has short arms. His speed rush arc is excellent and I could see him sneaking into rd 2. He reminds me of Shaun Phillips from the mid 2000s chargers

Sleeper dt is Logan Lee from Iowa. Excellent technique and effort. Decent size at 6'5 280. Great swim move and quickness inside at the 3tech. I can see him being a 6-7 rd pick but being a solid player for a long time 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The one Dlineman I thought the jets might have picked in the 3rd run will be gone.

Braden Fiske, one of the best players at the senior bowl, best jump numbers and just ran a 4.78

Love this dude, but he’ll probably go too high.

Type of player you hate to play against and love when he’s in your side.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah we are not getting Fiske, he will be gone in the 2nd round.   Best looking player in group one.

Yup. Been picking him in the 3rd In the mock simulators. No chance of that in real life - he's been hugely impressive today.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

A couple of guys that seem to fit into many mock drafts for the jets I have done at DT:

DeWayne Carter - Duke

Maason Smith - LSU

Carter seems like a Jets type of guy. Would be a nice mid-round pick.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Chop Robinson 4.49, could be good for the jets if he makes it into the top 10

That’s the thing. We as Jets fans , because of our failure to ever construct a professional offense, can’t ever imagine that every team in the league doesn’t need WR’s, QB’s or WR’s and that they may actually want to trade up with us to get, hold on to your seats, a LB, CB, Edge or God forbid , a DL😎

• Upvote 1