Moving Company Scam In Progress

I don't know what to do or who to ask. Looking for advice and I don't know who to ask.

I've already contacted the local police who said it was a civil matter and they can't help. I know you can make a report via FMCSA but that's only to investigate after the fact.

The details:

My mother in law is in her 70's and moving across the country. She received a detailed estimate with a moving company and signed a contract with them. When the movers arrived they were a sub-contracted 3rd party who decided they needed to re-estimate. The re-estimate came to more than double the original estimate - over $6K more. From the information I have gathered there were in fact some legitimate additional charges however, being extremely generous using their fee schedule that would not have exceeded $1K.

She signed the new estimated contract because they wouldn't do the job until she did and she didn't know what to do.

I did not get wind of this until after this had all been done. It sounds to me like they saw an elderly woman and took advantage of her.

When I received the original contract from her I contacted the original moving company and explained the situation and the woman was very quick to say they can't do anything if she signed the contract.

The company will not accept anything other than cash, money order or a cashiers check upon delivery and won't unload until they receive the final payment.

I'm pissed at myself for not helping her find the moving company because when I look them up they're very lowly rated on BBB and anywhere else I can find them.

Any thoughts on how to avoid paying the scam hostage amount while still getting her stuff back? This is crazy

You would be better off asking an attorney. I'd bring both contracts to one and see what recourse (if any) she has. Personally, I think she is screwed. She signed the contract and  assuming that was before they loaded the truck. Unless someone held a gun to her head, I would think the contract is binding. Good luck.

Oh man that sucks. However, this is way more common than people realize. Unfortunately Bickety is right, there isn't much recourse at this point, but maybe an attorney could find something.

Who was the carrier? My dad worked for Bekins way back in the 80s. Most of the reputable carriers have been supplanted by these sh*t show fly by night companies. 

Best of luck getting through this.

1 hour ago, JetsfaninNorthHollywood said:

Oh man that sucks. However, this is way more common than people realize. Unfortunately Bickety is right, there isn't much recourse at this point, but maybe an attorney could find something.

Who was the carrier? My dad worked for Bekins way back in the 80s. Most of the reputable carriers have been supplanted by these sh*t show fly by night companies. 

Best of luck getting through this.

Captain van lines

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Captain van lines

Wow. About three years ago while out on the job, I remember seeing an "Uzbek Movers" with an address in Elizabeth, NJ written on a piece of cardboard taped to the door. The trailer was a banged up and rusted hand me down from Mayflower Van Lines with the name sanded off. The three clowns I saw getting out of the truck, I'd not have let them put my garbage cans at the curb. Last move I did was local and they were great. But the days of the legit long distance companies like Allied, Bekins, North American, Wheaton, United, Santini Brothers, and National are long past it seems. Done in by deregulation, and scumbag brokers and fly by night craigslist companies. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/1/2024 at 3:17 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't know what to do or who to ask. Looking for advice and I don't know who to ask.

I've already contacted the local police who said it was a civil matter and they can't help. I know you can make a report via FMCSA but that's only to investigate after the fact.

The details:

My mother in law is in her 70's and moving across the country. She received a detailed estimate with a moving company and signed a contract with them. When the movers arrived they were a sub-contracted 3rd party who decided they needed to re-estimate. The re-estimate came to more than double the original estimate - over $6K more. From the information I have gathered there were in fact some legitimate additional charges however, being extremely generous using their fee schedule that would not have exceeded $1K.

She signed the new estimated contract because they wouldn't do the job until she did and she didn't know what to do.

I did not get wind of this until after this had all been done. It sounds to me like they saw an elderly woman and took advantage of her.

When I received the original contract from her I contacted the original moving company and explained the situation and the woman was very quick to say they can't do anything if she signed the contract.

The company will not accept anything other than cash, money order or a cashiers check upon delivery and won't unload until they receive the final payment.

I'm pissed at myself for not helping her find the moving company because when I look them up they're very lowly rated on BBB and anywhere else I can find them.

Any thoughts on how to avoid paying the scam hostage amount while still getting her stuff back? This is crazy

1) where is this? 

2) what company? 

3) as a practical matter you are likely to have to pay the scam hostage amount and then sue to get it back.

• Upvote 1

On 4/1/2024 at 3:58 PM, bicketybam said:

You would be better off asking an attorney. I'd bring both contracts to one and see what recourse (if any) she has. Personally, I think she is screwed. She signed the contract and  assuming that was before they loaded the truck. Unless someone held a gun to her head, I would think the contract is binding. Good luck.

Not quite that simple. Bait and switch is illegal

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

1) where is this? 

2) what company? 

3) as a practical matter you are likely to have to pay the scam hostage amount and then sue to get it back.

The original moving company was Captain Van Lines. They have sub-contracted to Family Moving, LLC.

I will just say the original move is from NYS and leave it at that for sake of privacy.

The company has now delayed the drop-off with no re-schedule date other than "they'll let them know". We may never see the stuff again.

I have now spoken to local law enforcement who say there's nothing they can do and a local consumer protection lawyer who says there's nothing he can do but it's a known scam. He pointed me to a case in Florida where the AG successfully won a civil suit against a company that followed almost the exact same playbook.

https://www.myfloridalegal.com/newsrelease/ag-moody-secures-more-20-million-judgment-and-lifetime-industry-ban-trial-against

This may just be the same company operating again under a yet another name.

I spoke with the Florida AG office this morning and they directed me to contact the local state AG as well as the federal agency I already mentioned.

I really wish I could get some law official to take action in the middle of this happening so we can nail these guys balls to the wall. As it stands I feel like I need to contact Sons of Anarchy to take care of it. 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The original moving company was Captain Van Lines. They have sub-contracted to Family Moving, LLC.

I will just say the original move is from NYS and leave it at that for sake of privacy.

The company has now delayed the drop-off with no re-schedule date other than "they'll let them know". We may never see the stuff again.

I have now spoken to local law enforcement who say there's nothing they can do and a local consumer protection lawyer who says there's nothing he can do but it's a known scam. He pointed me to a case in Florida where the AG successfully won a civil suit against a company that followed almost the exact same playbook.

https://www.myfloridalegal.com/newsrelease/ag-moody-secures-more-20-million-judgment-and-lifetime-industry-ban-trial-against

I spoke with the Florida AG office this morning and they directed me to contact the local state AG as well as the federal agency I already mentioned.

I really wish I could get some law official to take action in the middle of this happening so we can nail these guys balls to the wall. As it stands I feel like I need to contact Sons of Anarchy to take care of it. 

Did she sign the new contract with the higher estimated charges before or after they moved her stuff into the van?

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

yes. that's part of the scam.

It's not a yes or no question. It's "before" or "after."

In your OP you said they wouldn't do the job until she signed the new contract. I was unclear if that meant moving her furniture onto the truck store she signed or if it meant they wouldn't complete the move until she signed. I read it as they came, looked her stuff and said the new price is $6k more and we won't touch your stuff unless you sign the new contract (which she them signed.) If they came and said nothing until they moved her stuff onto the truck, she should have told them that she isn't paying the new estimate and they can unload it back into her house. If they refused, you call the police.

It definitely sounds like a scam either way but one is more of an ironclad case than the other. My opinion of course.

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Seriously, this is the type of thing that might be worth a class action suit (something similar happened to my dad, who won a small claims judgment in NJ from this type of bait and switch). Let me ask a friend who does that type of work in NY

16 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

It's not a yes or no question. It's "before" or "after."

In your OP you said they wouldn't do the job until she signed the new contract. I was unclear if that meant moving her furniture onto the truck store she signed or if it meant they wouldn't complete the move until she signed. I read it as they came, looked her stuff and said the new price is $6k more and we won't touch your stuff unless you sign the new contract (which she them signed.) If they came and said nothing until they moved her stuff onto the truck, she should have told them that she isn't paying the new estimate and they can unload it back into her house. If they refused, you call the police.

It definitely sounds like a scam either way but one is more of an ironclad case than the other. My opinion of course.

Especially where the moving person is moving out of a rental (or some other move that has a deadline) it's not that simple

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Especially where the moving person is moving out of a rental (or some other move that has a deadline) it's not that simple

True. I wasn't thinking of that. Just a sh*tty situation all the way around. 

On 4/1/2024 at 3:17 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

The details:

See my comment in Maxmans moving thread. Let's just say someone tried to **** around, and they found out.

Standard practice for these moving companies.

They know you have to get out and they try to take advantage of you.

It's easier said than done, but if you stand up to them they will most likely come down to a fair price over losing the job all together.

I'm not sure what can be done after the fact, but being that she is a senior, I would look to get advice from an organization that goes after preditors that do this to the elderly.

On 4/1/2024 at 9:16 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm actually not saying this as a jerk (really), but unlike financial advice, legal advice is something you should absolutely 100% not be seeking from strangers online, or ChatGPT.

I slept at a Holiday Inn though…….