How would you feel about this being the Jets OT situation week 1

19 minutes ago, slats said:

I’d like for the Jets to be justifiably satisfied with Warren and Mitchell backing up the starters at OT. That’s my preferred way of building an OL; drafting solid mid-round prospects and developing them. The OT is mostly in play for me because it’s 100% on brand with what Joe Douglas does. If they go this route, it will be for a player who does see significant playing time this year. An OL taken #10 overall, probably the just the second OL taken in the draft, will compete for a starting job, and the OL will deal with injuries if history is any indicator. 

I like Warren and Mitchell as backups better than Brownlee and Lazard, though, by a lot. For me, WR has to be the target. Odunze/Nabers could put the Jets starting WRs on par with Miami’s, while also providing valuable insurance against Williams or Wilson getting hurt. The fact that Williams probably won’t be ready for training camp makes it all the more important. 

So if the top 3 guys are gone at WR (Odunze is who I want at 10 then Bowers FYI). And we can’t trade back… who do you want?

Still go best WR in Thomas JR (who is be happy with even at 10).

I know you’re not a Bowers fan so I know he’s not in play.

So are you going OT there if that very situation happens?

Ideally one of those 3 WRs fall to us. But that’s optimistic if you ask me

This thread just shows that JD absolutely needs to trade back, even if Odunze is there.
We simply cannot trust Tyron Smith/Carter Warren as our OTs going into the season.  Warren was a find pick and may improve enough to be a starting RT but he doesnt have enough ability to stay at LT. 
This draft has guys like Patrick Paul and Kiren Amegadjie who will be second round picks who you can take after someone like Brian Thomas in the middle of the first.  Or just take Troy Fautanu, also in the mid first and then find a WR like Roman WIlson or Jayln Polk to provide depth.  
We simply have too little depth at these spots to only have one top 40 pick.

I agree with this

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

Considering this is the OT thread 
 Washington OT Troy Fautanu’s knee was flagged. That one was described to me as the sort of issue that shouldn’t be a problem in the short term, but could wind up impacting his longevity in the pros (though his high football character is a factor in making teams feel like he’ll do all he can to take care of it, and give himself the best chance).
https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/04/022/takeaways-nfl-draft-latest-buzz-rumors-medicals
Also listened to Connor Rogers think Fuaga @ 10 is likely - and put out a possible week one offensive line of -
Tyron - AVT - Tippman - Fuaga - Moses

Who left out Simpson? I am hoping it was Connor to re-enforce my opinion of him.

14 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So if the top 3 guys are gone at WR (Odunze is who I want at 10 then Bowers FYI). And we can’t trade back… who do you want?

Still go best WR in Thomas JR (who is be happy with even at 10).

I know you’re not a Bowers fan so I know he’s not in play.

So are you going OT there if that very situation happens?

Ideally one of those 3 WRs fall to us. But that’s optimistic if you ask me

I don’t know how they have Thomas (or any other potential WR) rated but, just going by the mocks that we’re all looking at, I’d have to think it would have to be the OT. It’s not my preference, but I never bought the argument that an OL at #10 would strictly be a backup here and, even it it were, he’d almost certainly be a starter in 2025. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, slats said:

I don’t know how they have Thomas (or any other potential WR) rated but, just going by the mocks that we’re all looking at, I’d have to think it would have to be the OT. It’s not my preference, but I never bought the argument that an OL at #10 would strictly be a backup here and, even it it were, he’d almost certainly be a starter in 2025. 

Kind of my thoughts.

2 biggest factors that make me think this.

1. I don’t think we’re drafting a backup top 15 2 years in a row.

2. JD hasn’t had good luck drafting top 15 OLineman. One bursted and was injured. And the other has had back to back season ending injuries. Who picking up his 5th year option is still in question.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, slats said:

I have the feeling that it will be Fuaga, and he will either start at either RT or RG, with Simpson or Moses as the backup.

He's a mauler in the run game which will benefit Hall immensely. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Kind of my thoughts.

2 biggest factors that make me think this.

1. I don’t think we’re drafting a backup top 15 2 years in a row.

2. JD hasn’t had good luck drafting top 15 OLineman. One bursted and was injured. And the other has had back to back season ending injuries. Who picking up his 5th year option is still in question.

I don't think the OL will be a back up, he will start.

Becton was bad. AVT when healthy has been nothing short of awesome. I feel they will pick up his option. I Could be wrong, have been many times.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, jetsfan56 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/04/022/takeaways-nfl-draft-latest-buzz-rumors-medicals
Also listened to Connor Rogers think Fuaga @ 10 is likely - and put out a possible week one offensive line of -
Tyron - AVT - Tippman - Fuaga - Moses

Who left out Simpson? I am hoping it was Connor to re-enforce my opinion of him. emoji16.png

I've been thinking the same thing. 

On 4/21/2024 at 5:18 PM, T0mShane said:

If Tyron Smith goes down clutching his back in Week Seven, would you rather have Troy Fautanu coming on to replace him, or David Bakhtiari? Especially if the tradeoff is that Malik Nabers is on the team instead of Fautanu? 

We trading up for Nabers?

episode 9 GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

I don't think the OL will be a back up, he will start.

Becton was bad. AVT when healthy has been nothing short of awesome. I feel they will pick up his option. I Could be wrong, have been many times.

Waiting on that option until after the draft adds juice to the Jets looking at OL early. It’s a little rich at $15.3M, but I tend to believe they’ll pick it up, too. Key will be to keep him at OG this time around. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Mr. Rogers said:

I have read that a few times about projecting as an OG, but I'm really not sure why. He has the size and weight of a tackle. Perhaps because his skills lie more in his run blocking and he'd be nasty on pulls? I've read the same about Fautanu. I'd be happier with Fashanu or Fuaga personally, but I think that's part of my issue here... if experts can't split these guys JD won't be able to either lol.

Agreed about AVT staying at OG, was just using him as a recent example. I didn't know that about Wirfs! But same. If things don't go well at LT for Fuaga we could have him back at RT by 2025 at the latest. Of course, we can all agree we'd rather have to refill RT than LT (not to mention i think Moses is more likely than Smith to stay healthy and resign). 

Again, personally don't care what some mock drafters think he projects as position wise. Lot of internet goons out there. But I do really hope a top 3 WR falls and makes this discussion irrelevant

Yeah, it puzzles me as well why some would project Fuaga as being better at OG. I think one reason is that some of the guys who have said that have no clue what they're seeing.  I know that at least one, maybe two of the comments were that they said he had slow feet and not great lateral agility, but other reports say that he has quick feet, is very athletic, and has great lateral agility and ability to mirror.  Good points about if Fuaga didn't work out at LT, they could move him back to RT, and that RT would be easier to fill than LT, although I think there's less of a distinction between those positions these days.  More and more I'm reading that an OT should be able to play either side as opposing Ds move their best pass rushers around.

Yeah, I was blown a way when I read that about Wirfs, especially that he so freely admitted it.

I just look at mocks out of curiosity, but usually wind up laughing at whomever wrote them.

The only thing I disagree with is hoping that one of the WRs falls.  I have zero interest in any of the top 3 WRs...Nabers because of the supposed character issues, Harrison Jr. because I think he's going to be a diva and I want no part of that, and Odunze because I think it very likely he could be a bust.  More importantly, I think the need an opportunity to get their starting LT for the next 10 years outweighs any other factor.  They can still get a good WR, and if they can somehow get a 2nd round pick, they could get a great prospect in Malachi Corley or Xavier Leggette.  I like both of them a lot.

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2024 at 10:33 AM, AFJF said:

But there's really no alternative.  Everything is going to be hope and maybes at OT moving forward.  You take an OT at 10 and you're hoping he's able to step in and play at a high level from day 1 which hasn't exactly been the norm in recent years.

The bold is not true at all.  I don't where you get that nonsense.

On 4/22/2024 at 6:09 AM, JKlecko said:

If they draft an OT he WILL play.  Smith is a lock to miss at least 3-4 game, maybe closer to 10 games.  Good luck even having a winning season, much less Rodgers staying healthy and playing the whole season with Carter Warren or Max Mitchell  or Donovan  Smith at LT.

Yes, just look at how the Chiefs suffered with Smith at tackle just a few months ago.  Would be such a pity for the Jets to suffer the same fate.

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think we like that 3rd TD round area for OT. I believe that top of the crop in that area was who Ulbreich coached at the senior bowl as well. I’m a huge fan of Rosengarten the RT from UW. That same area you can get Gonclaves the OT from Pitt who I’m we’ve watched a ton being we drafted Warren and Izzy last year. And he started for them last year and this year. As well as the OT from Yale. Who has all the tools. It’s just quite a bit of a talent difference from Ivy League to NFL.

Big thing that I can’t stress enough in this. And why I think we go weapon at 10. Is an OT is a backup. Good teams don’t draft backups top 10 often. Are we really about to spend back to back 1st on backups? I doubt it. I expect us to get a WR who starts right away or Bowers who gets plenty of action as a rookie. Either starting or in different packages.

I disagree that the 3rd round is where the Jets will be or should be looking at OT.  IMO Goncalves is not a good prospect at all. I do like Rosengarten, however.  Kiran Amegadjie is the OT from Yale.  He could drop to the 3rd round, but I think he'll go in the 2nd round.

Drafting an OT at #10 wouldn't be just drafting a backup.  He would wind up starting a number of games this season, and then hopefully be the starter for the next 10 years at LT.  The Jets have been struggling with their OL and OT specifically since Brick retired.  JD has screwed the pooch several times in the draft when he had the opportunity to get another OT.  It would be totally foolish on his part to risk not getting one in this draft and having that OT learn from Smith and Moses.  Thinking that you can get a quality OT in the 3rd round is extremely risky and unwise.  There aren't enough good OTs in the NFL. OTs, like QBs are overdrafted, and they fly off the board. We saw last year how even being one pick lower can cost a team from getting a topflight OT prospect.

The OT position is arguably the 2nd most important position on a football team after QB.  We need it for QB protection as well as opening holes for Breece.  It's much easier to acquire a good WR either via FA or the draft than it is a good OT.

On 4/22/2024 at 8:52 PM, varjet said:
  • This is a “generational” OT draft.  It would be a shame if the Jets did not leave it with a OT for the future. 
  • The Jets are going to start two 33 year old OTs.  One gets hurt a lot.  I think that means we need 4 starting caliber OTs.  We have 3.   Carter Warren is part of the solution and will start if Smith or Moses gets hurt.  
  • Mitchell needs to be upgraded.  My vote would be someone in the late first round, maybe later, who is better than Mitchell.  Mitchell will end up on the practice squad and back on the 53 later in the season and next year.  I think practically Mitchell could get upgraded in the 3rd round.
  • The Jets will need a swing OG/OT.  AVT could be that.  Maybe it’s Fautanu.  Having both AVT and Fautanu allows the Jets two solid starting Gs that can play T in a pinch.  
  • Drafting OL in the first round in this draft is the right way to build a team.  I think Brock Bowers wins us games in 2024 if the OTs stay healthy.  That is what JD and Woody will do.  Woody is making this pick, and Woody is all in 2024.  

I totally agree with your first bullet point.  I mostly agree with your second bullet point, but totally disagree that Carter Warren is part of the solution.  He could still develop, but to date, I've seen nothing from him that even says decent backup, much less starter or swing OT.

Mitchell needs to go imo.

IMO AVT should NOT be the swing OG/OT.  Both times he's been injured were when he was playing OT.  I think he tries to overcompensate for his short arms and winds up getting hurt.  No more.  He should stay at OG.  Period.

Drafting OT in the first round is definitely the right way to build a team, and JD promised to build the team from the lines out and fix the OL, and to-date, he hasn't.  It would be typically SOJ and typical Woody to meddle and order JD to take Bowers. If that happens, I hope the Jets go 0-17 and JD beats the sh*t out of Woody.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Untouchable said:

How is it a “generational” OT draft when the majority of these guys are projected to move inside in the pros?

It would be the Jetsiest sh*t ever to pass on guys like Bowers and Odunze for a guard who doesn’t even see the field his first year.

The majority aren't projected to move inside.  Only Jordan Morgan and Graham Barton are projected to move inside, and it's not even a lock that Morgan will.  Alt, Fashanu, Fautanu, Fuaga, Mims, Guyton, Suamataia, Paul, and Amegadjie will all stay at OT.

No, the Jetsiest draft would be taking Bowers when they don't have an OC capable of using Bowers in the right way or taking a WR who couldn't get open in the Pac 12, and who very likely will be a bust in the NFL, and passing up on taking their future LT starter for the next 10 years.

• Upvote 1

All I know is come opening day they have to field a OL that allows Rodgers to make it through a least through one possession.  If our OL can successfully do that then I would like to see Rodgers hopefully finish at least one entire game as a Jet.

I’ve been a long suffering Jets fan since 1968, and I thought I had seen every bizarre thing that could happen to the Jets over that time . . . that was until our opening game last season when Rodgers was gone for the season after 3 plays because he was literally running for his life on every play.

I understand if Rodgers gets hurt just like Zach did that time when he was just running in the open field and injured himself with no one even close to him. But if we have another repeat of our opening game last season where our OL is just watching Rodgers get creamed on every play, then I think some heads have to finally roll in the Jets organization.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, WeCantDraftGoodQBs said:

All I know is come opening day they have to field a OL that allows Rodgers to make it through a least through one possession.  If our OL can successfully do that then I would like to see Rodgers hopefully finish at least one entire game as a Jet.

I’ve been a long suffering Jets fan since 1968, and I thought I had seen every bizarre thing that could happen to the Jets over that time . . . that was until our opening game last season when Rodgers was gone for the season after 3 plays because he was literally running for his life on every play.

I understand if Rodgers gets hurt just like Zach did that time when he was just running in the open field and injured himself with no one even close to him. But if we have another repeat of our opening game last season where our OL is just watching Rodgers get creamed on every play, then I think some heads have to finally roll in the Jets organization.

OL did their job on the play Rodgers was inured on.  He hesitated and took an unnecessary hit.

10 hours ago, JKlecko said:

I disagree that the 3rd round is where the Jets will be or should be looking at OT.  IMO Goncalves is not a good prospect at all. I do like Rosengarten, however.  Kiran Amegadjie is the OT from Yale.  He could drop to the 3rd round, but I think he'll go in the 2nd round.

Drafting an OT at #10 wouldn't be just drafting a backup.  He would wind up starting a number of games this season, and then hopefully be the starter for the next 10 years at LT.  The Jets have been struggling with their OL and OT specifically since Brick retired.  JD has screwed the pooch several times in the draft when he had the opportunity to get another OT.  It would be totally foolish on his part to risk not getting one in this draft and having that OT learn from Smith and Moses.  Thinking that you can get a quality OT in the 3rd round is extremely risky and unwise.  There aren't enough good OTs in the NFL. OTs, like QBs are overdrafted, and they fly off the board. We saw last year how even being one pick lower can cost a team from getting a topflight OT prospect.

The OT position is arguably the 2nd most important position on a football team after QB.  We need it for QB protection as well as opening holes for Breece.  It's much easier to acquire a good WR either via FA or the draft than it is a good OT.

I get Smith hasn’t played a full season. I truly do. And quite frankly I don’t expect him to play the whole season. But fact is… he’s never missed A playoff game and most his injuries aren’t these gigantic season ending injuries.

And while I want to keep AR upright and healthy. Fact is that a lot don’t like to see is that an OT at 10 is darn near 100% a backup. Good teams don’t draft backups back to back years top 15. Sorry. We need starter that 10. And WR and TE offer that

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

OL did their job on the play Rodgers was inured on.  He hesitated and took an unnecessary hit.

Did you happen to watch the first two plays that had Rodgers looking like a deer in the headlights before the third play when he got injured? As a line coach, how would you rate the OL pass protection for that first series . . . I'm guessing your going to say it's probably wasn't Pro Bowl caliber, right?

25 minutes ago, WeCantDraftGoodQBs said:

Did you happen to watch the first two plays that had Rodgers looking like a deer in the headlights before the third play when he got injured? As a line coach, how would you rate the OL pass protection for that first series . . . I'm guessing your going to say it's probably wasn't Pro Bowl caliber, right?

It was bad.  It made me wonder if the head coach might have his OL play a snap in the pre-season this year.  We shall see.

21 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I get Smith hasn’t played a full season. I truly do. And quite frankly I don’t expect him to play the whole season. But fact is… he’s never missed A playoff game and most his injuries aren’t these gigantic season ending injuries.

And while I want to keep AR upright and healthy. Fact is that a lot don’t like to see is that an OT at 10 is darn near 100% a backup. Good teams don’t draft backups back to back years top 15. Sorry. We need starter that 10. And WR and TE offer that

Smith may not have missed a playoff game, but in two of the last 5 seasons he played fewer than 5 games (I think it was 3 and then two years later, only 4 games) and the Cowpokes didn't make the playoffs precisely because he missed so many games.

Add in that he's 33, playing on a notoriously bad turf where a lot of injuries have happened, and that Moses is also 33. Because the Jets now have Fashanu, that gives them a better chance to get into the playoffs.

Don't forget that a great QB can make his receivers better.  The Jets could still add  a very good WR, maybe 2.