How would you feel about this being the Jets OT situation week 1

2 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Listen guy - if Tyler Conklin goes down in week 4. Would you rather Bowers coming in to replace him or Jeremey Ruckert? 

Told You So Epix GIF by PENNYWORTH

what the...

You're dead to me 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If Tyron Smith goes down clutching his back in Week Seven, would you rather have Troy Fautanu coming on to replace him, or David Bakhtiari? Especially if the tradeoff is that Malik Nabers is on the team instead of Fautanu? 

Bakhtiari.  He will know all of Aaron’s audibles on 3rd and long

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If Tyron Smith goes down clutching his back in Week Seven, would you rather have Troy Fautanu coming on to replace him, or David Bakhtiari? Especially if the tradeoff is that Malik Nabers is on the team instead of Fautanu? 

Bakhtiari really can't happen here. Rodgers is all out of good will dollars. If he wants to get another friend some money, they should go see if Cobb will help them out.  If there is no market for him, and they sign him super cheap, he still would be lower on the depth chart than Carter Warren at this point in time.

2019 since he played a full season and he will be 33 in September. Really couldn't count on him to even be Carter Warren's backup.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Bakhtiari.  He will know all of Aaron’s audibles on 3rd and long

Will he be able to get hand signals to whoever is on the field in time for it to matter?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JKlecko said:

The chances of the Jets winning it all this year are remote.  You can't sacrifice the future for one half-assed attempt at winning it all this year.  With no starting caliber OT on the roster for next year, the Jets would be screwed and would be lucky not to wind up 0-17.

So you think they've made all of these short-term moves after trading for Aaron Rodgers and will move forward by drafting guys who may never play with him?  Cool.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The knock on him that I’ve heard is that he isn’t awesome in pass pro and wasn’t tested much in that conference. But, I think that’s a pretty consistent complaint with all of these non-Alt guys. The guy whose win rate is top tier is Amarius Mims, apparently. 

And everyone says Amarius Mims is the most Mekhi Becton like prospect since JC Latham

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

So you think they've made all of these short-term moves after trading for Aaron Rodgers and will move forward by drafting guys who may never play with him?  Cool.

If they draft an OT he WILL play.  Smith is a lock to miss at least 3-4 game, maybe closer to 10 games.  Good luck even having a winning season, much less Rodgers staying healthy and playing the whole season with Carter Warren or Max Mitchell  or Donovan  Smith at LT.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

14 hours ago, AFJF said:

Tough to say with Fautanu having not played a down in the NFL.  This is a part of the conversation that gets left out a lot with the tackle at 10 option.  How many of these guys hit the ground running and are ready to start from day 1? Seems it takes longer to get an o-lineman ready now that it did in year's past because of the play style in college.  If the rook they take in round 1 needs half a season to settle in, is he worth taking at 10 in a win now season?

IHMO you just made the arguement for TAKING OT at 10.  :) 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, AFJF said:

Tyron Smith
Morgan Moses
Donovan Smith (started for SB champs last year) or Cam Fleming (Played both LT and RT for Hackett in Denver)
Carter Warren
Javon Foster

I’d feel uneasy. It’s a makeshift lineup with too much hope and maybes. It reminds me of last year when we penciled in Brown and Becton. Draft the best OL in round 1. Build the lines, win in the trenches. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, JKlecko said:

If they draft an OT he WILL play.  Smith is a lock to miss at least 3-4 game, maybe closer to 10 games.  Good luck even having a winning season, much less Rodgers staying healthy and playing the whole season with Carter Warren or Max Mitchell  or Donovan  Smith at LT.

So they'll use pick 10 on a guy who will play four games with Rodgers and not a receiver who they would expect to play 17 games?  All if this in a "win now" year that will likely see everyone fired if they fail?  Under those conditions they'd rather save their jobs with 4 games from Olu Fashanu than 17 from Odunze or Bowers?  Gotcha.

2 hours ago, OilfieldJet said:

I’d feel uneasy. It’s a makeshift lineup with too much hope and maybes. It reminds me of last year when we penciled in Brown and Becton. Draft the best OL in round 1. Build the lines, win in the trenches. 

But there's really no alternative.  Everything is going to be hope and maybes at OT moving forward.  You take an OT at 10 and you're hoping he's able to step in and play at a high level from day 1 which hasn't exactly been the norm in recent years.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

IHMO you just made the arguement for TAKING OT at 10.  :) 

If you think an increased possibility of poor play from a rookie in a win now year is an argument "for" taking an OT, you and I view the  needs of this team in 2024 far differently.

7 hours ago, AFJF said:

So they'll use pick 10 on a guy who will play four games with Rodgers and not a receiver who they would expect to play 17 games?  All if this in a "win now" year that will likely see everyone fired if they fail?  Under those conditions they'd rather save their jobs with 4 games from Olu Fashanu than 17 from Odunze or Bowers?  Gotcha.

Which would have the bigger impact on the offense and team...an OT who keeps Rodgers upright and healthy for anywhere from 4-10 games, or the #3 option at receiver?  Wilson and M. Williams are #1 and #2.  If the Jets don't have a competent backup, more than likely Rodgers won't stay healthy or effective, and if he goes down, the season is over.  There's no way Odunze or Bowers would have the same impact on the Jets' season.  You're assuming that they'll have the same immediate success and impact in the NFL that they did in college, and that's not necessarily accurate.  You're also assuming that Hackett would be willing and capable of changing his offense to focus on Bowers, which is highly unlikely for either reason.  Odunze isn't known for getting separation.  He's going to find that things are not as easy in the NFL as in college, especially the Pac 12.  Also, Odunze is being compared to Davante Adams and it took him 3 seasons to really start putting up numbers.  Chances are that Odunze is not as good as Adams, so he could have little or no impact in 2024.  But for argument's sake, let's say, he could have a great rookie season.  He won't if the Jets don't have a quality backup for Smith and Moses, and Rodgers is getting beat up or gets seriously injured.

• Upvote 1

This thread just shows that JD absolutely needs to trade back, even if Odunze is there.

We simply cannot trust Tyron Smith/Carter Warren as our OTs going into the season.  Warren was a find pick and may improve enough to be a starting RT but he doesnt have enough ability to stay at LT. 

This draft has guys like Patrick Paul and Kiren Amegadjie who will be second round picks who you can take after someone like Brian Thomas in the middle of the first.  Or just take Troy Fautanu, also in the mid first and then find a WR like Roman WIlson or Jayln Polk to provide depth.  

We simply have too little depth at these spots to only have one top 40 pick.

• Upvote 1

• This is a “generational” OT draft.  It would be a shame if the Jets did not leave it with a OT for the future. 
  • The Jets are going to start two 33 year old OTs.  One gets hurt a lot.  I think that means we need 4 starting caliber OTs.  We have 3.   Carter Warren is part of the solution and will start if Smith or Moses gets hurt.  
  • Mitchell needs to be upgraded.  My vote would be someone in the late first round, maybe later, who is better than Mitchell.  Mitchell will end up on the practice squad and back on the 53 later in the season and next year.  I think practically Mitchell could get upgraded in the 3rd round.
  • The Jets will need a swing OG/OT.  AVT could be that.  Maybe it’s Fautanu.  Having both AVT and Fautanu allows the Jets two solid starting Gs that can play T in a pinch.  
  • Drafting OL in the first round in this draft is the right way to build a team.  I think Brock Bowers wins us games in 2024 if the OTs stay healthy.  That is what JD and Woody will do.  Woody is making this pick, and Woody is all in 2024.  
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Which would have the bigger impact on the offense and team...an OT who keeps Rodgers upright and healthy for anywhere from 4-10 games, or the #3 option at receiver?  Wilson and M. Williams are #1 and #2.  If the Jets don't have a competent backup, more than likely Rodgers won't stay healthy or effective, and if he goes down, the season is over.  There's no way Odunze or Bowers would have the same impact on the Jets' season.  You're assuming that they'll have the same immediate success and impact in the NFL that they did in college, and that's not necessarily accurate.  You're also assuming that Hackett would be willing and capable of changing his offense to focus on Bowers, which is highly unlikely for either reason.  Odunze isn't known for getting separation.  He's going to find that things are not as easy in the NFL as in college, especially the Pac 12.  Also, Odunze is being compared to Davante Adams and it took him 3 seasons to really start putting up numbers.  Chances are that Odunze is not as good as Adams, so he could have little or no impact in 2024.  But for argument's sake, let's say, he could have a great rookie season.  He won't if the Jets don't have a quality backup for Smith and Moses, and Rodgers is getting beat up or gets seriously injured.

You're acting is if they didn't already add two starting tackles and there are no veteran free agent tackles who could come in and back them up.  Neither is the case.

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2024 at 1:09 AM, JKlecko said:

So this college guy (that no one can agree on the identity of) will just step right in on day one and be awesome and the wall

21 hours ago, AFJF said:

But there's really no alternative.  Everything is going to be hope and maybes at OT moving forward.  You take an OT at 10 and you're hoping he's able to step in and play at a high level from day 1 which hasn't exactly been the norm in recent years.

We disagree.

On 4/21/2024 at 7:27 PM, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Listen guy - if Tyler Conklin goes down in week 4. Would you rather Bowers coming in to replace him or Jeremey Ruckert? 

Told You So Epix GIF by PENNYWORTH

Ruckert!

8 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

So this college guy (that no one can agree on the identity of) will just step right in on day one and be awesome and the wall

I never said that he would be awesome day one, but if it's Fashanu, there's a higher chance of that than with any of the other OTs not named Alt.  Still, he would probably be better than Donovan Smith, Charles Leno, or better than an injured Bakhtiari who is already on IR by that point.

17 hours ago, AFJF said:

You're acting is if they didn't already add two starting tackles and there are no veteran free agent tackles who could come in and back them up.  Neither is the case.

No, I'm not.  That's your interpretation.  The OTs the Jets signed are both 33.  Moses has only missed 4 games in his career, 3 last year with a torn pec, and one when he played with the Jets a few years ago. I'm not really worried about his not playing.  T. Smith is a great player when healthy, but he can't stay healthy.  It's a FACT that Tyron Smith hasn't played a full season since 2015, and that over the last 5 seasons he has missed at least 3-4 games every season, and in two of those seasons he only played less than 5 games.  It's also a fact that Warren and Mitchell sucked last year.  It's also a fact that Donovan Smith was never that good and he's now toast.  Charles Leno is pretty much in the same boat, and as great a need as NFL teams have at OT, no one is knocking their doors down to sign either.  Bakhtiari is the only remaining OT FA who was ever really good, and his body is done.  He cannot stay healthy.

On 4/21/2024 at 6:51 PM, JKlecko said:

The problem with Fuaga is that I don't think he could play LT, and if the Jets draft an OT in round 1, it needs to be one who could play LT.  Moses may not miss a game.  He has only missed 4 in his career, 3 last season with the torn pec, and 1 when he played for the Jets before.  It would be nice to have Fuaga for next year, but he probably wouldn't help the Jets this year.  In addition, I don't think that he has ever played on the left side.

This is tough for me. Personally, I think the whole OL position thing is very overblown. AVT wasn't drafted to play Tackle, yet he's been fine when there. Tristan Wirfs played RT for 2 or 3 years before converting to LT. Most OL can play multiple positions if they really need to, regardless of where they've played in the past. I'm sure this kid played LT in high school, and he should have the time and mentoring to get the footwork and positioning down before the Jets need him at either tackle spot. Chances are they will have him take reps at both OT spots if they take him. To me, if a guy is the best OT available, you take him regardless of positional labels. Talent in the NFL shows through. 

To my knowledge, typically the distinction between RT and LT at the NFL level comes down to size and arm length. Fuaga does have shorter arms than Fashanu and Fautanu, by a half inch and inch respectively. He also has bigger hands than either. The Jets do buy into the size thing compared to some teams (as best I can tell), so I can't tell if this will impact anything. 

To me the bigger issue is that JD can't identify OL talent to save his job (perhaps literally). Taking Becton over wirfs was already unforgivable, and 4 OLs worth of guys have come and gone since his hiring. I love tippman and AVT but they were pretty much consensus top ranked players at their iOL positions, not hidden gems. I don't trust anyone JD likes at this point unless they're the clear cut best choice (which would be Alt here lol)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Rogers said:

This is tough for me. Personally, I think the whole OL position thing is very overblown. AVT wasn't drafted to play Tackle, yet he's been fine when there. Tristan Wirfs played RT for 2 or 3 years before converting to LT. Most OL can play multiple positions if they really need to, regardless of where they've played in the past. I'm sure this kid played LT in high school, and he should have the time and mentoring to get the footwork and positioning down before the Jets need him at either tackle spot. Chances are they will have him take reps at both OT spots if they take him. To me, if a guy is the best OT available, you take him regardless of positional labels. Talent in the NFL shows through. 

To my knowledge, typically the distinction between RT and LT at the NFL level comes down to size and arm length. Fuaga does have shorter arms than Fashanu and Fautanu, by a half inch and inch respectively. He also has bigger hands than either. The Jets do buy into the size thing compared to some teams (as best I can tell), so I can't tell if this will impact anything. 

To me the bigger issue is that JD can't identify OL talent to save his job (perhaps literally). Taking Becton over wirfs was already unforgivable, and 4 OLs worth of guys have come and gone since his hiring. I love tippman and AVT but they were pretty much consensus top ranked players at their iOL positions, not hidden gems. I don't trust anyone JD likes at this point unless they're the clear cut best choice (which would be Alt here lol)

I agree with in general regarding LT vs RT, but in the situation with Fuaga, there are many who thinks he would be better at OG than OT in the NFL.  As for Wirfs, yes he's making the transition, but did you read that he had to go see a sports psychologist to be able to do it.  He had zero confidence in his ability to play on the left side and he was terrified.  If they like Fuaga the best, then I hope that he can indeed make the switch to the left side, but I think I'd prefer Fashanu or Fautanu over Fuaga.

As far as AVT, imo he should stay at OG.  Both times he's gotten injured it was when he was playing OT, and I think it's quite likely that it was due to trying to compensate for his shorter arms.

I'm definitely beginning to agree with you that JD wouldn't know a good OL if he walked up and slapped him upside the head.  

• Upvote 1

I almost feel like Baktiari is a sure thing, we either draft WR or Bowers, or trade down. I don’t see this pick going OT after reading how many stupid people think it’s the best plan.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JKlecko said:

I agree with in general regarding LT vs RT, but in the situation with Fuaga, there are many who thinks he would be better at OG than OT in the NFL.  As for Wirfs, yes he's making the transition, but did you read that he had to go see a sports psychologist to be able to do it.  He had zero confidence in his ability to play on the left side and he was terrified.  If they like Fuaga the best, then I hope that he can indeed make the switch to the left side, but I think I'd prefer Fashanu or Fautanu over Fuaga.

As far as AVT, imo he should stay at OG.  Both times he's gotten injured it was when he was playing OT, and I think it's quite likely that it was due to trying to compensate for his shorter arms.

I'm definitely beginning to agree with you that JD wouldn't know a good OL if he walked up and slapped him upside the head.  

I have read that a few times about projecting as an OG, but I'm really not sure why. He has the size and weight of a tackle. Perhaps because his skills lie more in his run blocking and he'd be nasty on pulls? I've read the same about Fautanu. I'd be happier with Fashanu or Fuaga personally, but I think that's part of my issue here... if experts can't split these guys JD won't be able to either lol.

Agreed about AVT staying at OG, was just using him as a recent example. I didn't know that about Wirfs! But same. If things don't go well at LT for Fuaga we could have him back at RT by 2025 at the latest. Of course, we can all agree we'd rather have to refill RT than LT (not to mention i think Moses is more likely than Smith to stay healthy and resign). 

Again, personally don't care what some mock drafters think he projects as position wise. Lot of internet goons out there. But I do really hope a top 3 WR falls and makes this discussion irrelevant

7 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I almost feel like Baktiari is a sure thing, we either draft WR or Bowers, or trade down. I don’t see this pick going OT after reading how many stupid people think it’s the best plan.

I think we like that 3rd TD round area for OT. I believe that top of the crop in that area was who Ulbreich coached at the senior bowl as well. I’m a huge fan of Rosengarten the RT from UW. That same area you can get Gonclaves the OT from Pitt who I’m we’ve watched a ton being we drafted Warren and Izzy last year. And he started for them last year and this year. As well as the OT from Yale. Who has all the tools. It’s just quite a bit of a talent difference from Ivy League to NFL.

Big thing that I can’t stress enough in this. And why I think we go weapon at 10. Is an OT is a backup. Good teams don’t draft backups top 10 often. Are we really about to spend back to back 1st on backups? I doubt it. I expect us to get a WR who starts right away or Bowers who gets plenty of action as a rookie. Either starting or in different packages.

On 4/22/2024 at 6:52 PM, varjet said:
  • This is a “generational” OT draft.  It would be a shame if the Jets did not leave it with a OT for the future. 
  • The Jets are going to start two 33 year old OTs.  One gets hurt a lot.  I think that means we need 4 starting caliber OTs.  We have 3.   Carter Warren is part of the solution and will start if Smith or Moses gets hurt.  
  • Mitchell needs to be upgraded.  My vote would be someone in the late first round, maybe later, who is better than Mitchell.  Mitchell will end up on the practice squad and back on the 53 later in the season and next year.  I think practically Mitchell could get upgraded in the 3rd round.
  • The Jets will need a swing OG/OT.  AVT could be that.  Maybe it’s Fautanu.  Having both AVT and Fautanu allows the Jets two solid starting Gs that can play T in a pinch.  
  • Drafting OL in the first round in this draft is the right way to build a team.  I think Brock Bowers wins us games in 2024 if the OTs stay healthy.  That is what JD and Woody will do.  Woody is making this pick, and Woody is all in 2024.  

How is it a “generational” OT draft when the majority of these guys are projected to move inside in the pros?

It would be the Jetsiest sh*t ever to pass on guys like Bowers and Odunze for a guard who doesn’t even see the field his first year.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. To me, the top 3 WRs are worth it at 10. If one falls, I don't think we'll pass on them, but I can't see one falling. I don't know how to feel about Bowers but he's not my preference, I can't see him getting the use he deserves and I think the injury concerns aren't talked about enough. 

After that, I'd look at OT. A trade back (ideally within the next 10 picks) would be good, especially if the guy we like is Fautanu or Latham, but I'd be comfortable sitting at 10 for OL.

I think it will be much easier to find an effective #3 WR in round 3 than a startable OT. In an ideal world, the Jets find a big X who can be the heir to Williams, so we can play Wilson all over. However, in round 3, the value will probably be in a slot guy, which is fine. It'd keep Lazard off the field (except maybe in the red zone) and Rodgers does love his slot guys. Wilson can play X in future years if that's how things shake out. 

• Upvote 1

I’d like for the Jets to be justifiably satisfied with Warren and Mitchell backing up the starters at OT. That’s my preferred way of building an OL; drafting solid mid-round prospects and developing them. The OT is mostly in play for me because it’s 100% on brand with what Joe Douglas does. If they go this route, it will be for a player who does see significant playing time this year. An OL taken #10 overall, probably the just the second OL taken in the draft, will compete for a starting job, and the OL will deal with injuries if history is any indicator. 

I like Warren and Mitchell as backups better than Brownlee and Lazard, though, by a lot. For me, WR has to be the target. Odunze/Nabers could put the Jets starting WRs on par with Miami’s, while also providing valuable insurance against Williams or Wilson getting hurt. The fact that Williams probably won’t be ready for training camp makes it all the more important. 

• Upvote 1

Considering this is the OT thread 

Washington OT Troy Fautanu’s knee was flagged. That one was described to me as the sort of issue that shouldn’t be a problem in the short term, but could wind up impacting his longevity in the pros (though his high football character is a factor in making teams feel like he’ll do all he can to take care of it, and give himself the best chance).

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/04/022/takeaways-nfl-draft-latest-buzz-rumors-medicals

Also listened to Connor Rogers think Fuaga @ 10 is likely - and put out a possible week one offensive line of -

Tyron - AVT - Tippman - Fuaga - Moses