How would you feel about this being the Jets OT situation week 1

Tyron Smith
Morgan Moses
Donovan Smith (started for SB champs last year) or Cam Fleming (Played both LT and RT for Hackett in Denver)
Carter Warren
Javon Foster

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1

Teams dress 7 oline on gameday. Need 3 good OTs

I think the jets like Warren. There is such a shortage league wide that stashing good guys on your bench is unrealistic. They would have been signed by now. 

anyone available after the draft is officially just a jag. Donovan Smith is below that and bahktiari will probably retire after going unsigned 

• Upvote 1

That's close to the ideal scenario in my book. Draft a OT in the mid rounds to develop and take over one of the tackle spots in 2025/26. We also have Warren who can potentially take over a starting spot in 2025 as well. Sign a veteran swing tackle for insurance.

The #10 pick should be used on an offensive weapon. Ideally a WR. I don't think Bowers is a good pick. But that's a separate conversion that has been discussed 1,000 times.

• Upvote 4

I for one am ok with that. Lots of good vet OT/OG available still. Peat is a guy to also keep in mind being he has that flexibility.

That all being said…. I’m 50/50 if w ego weapon or OL at 10. But if we opt to not. I see that for sure being our next pick. Whether that’s a trade up from the 3rd or our actual 3rd I don’t know.

• Upvote 1

If Tyron Smith goes down clutching his back in Week Seven, would you rather have Troy Fautanu coming on to replace him, or David Bakhtiari? Especially if the tradeoff is that Malik Nabers is on the team instead of Fautanu? 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

If Tyron Smith goes down clutching his back in Week Seven, would you rather have Troy Fautanu coming on to replace him, or David Bakhtiari? Especially if the tradeoff is that Malik Nabers is on the team instead of Fautanu? 

Delete this immediately 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think a more pertinent question is, which guy is going to be more important when tyrod taylor is the qb and the jets are again searching the waiver wire for a backup qb?  Is a road grading Rt like fuaga going to help save jd’s job more than a diva wr who isn’t getting the ball more than 3x/game b/c breece, garrett and MW need to eat too?

30 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

That's close to the ideal scenario in my book. Draft a OT in the mid rounds to develop and take over one of the tackle spots in 2025/26. We also have Warren who can potentially take over a starting spot in 2025 as well. Sign a veteran swing tackle for insurance.

The #10 pick should be used on an offensive weapon. Ideally a WR. I don't think Bowers is a good pick. But that's a separate conversion that has been discussed 1,000 times.

Oh c'mon, let's go one more round.  I'm sure we can settle the argument this time.

LOL

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Tough to say with Fautanu having not played a down in the NFL.  This is a part of the conversation that gets left out a lot with the tackle at 10 option.  How many of these guys hit the ground running and are ready to start from day 1? Seems it takes longer to get an o-lineman ready now that it did in year's past because of the play style in college.  If the rook they take in round 1 needs half a season to settle in, is he worth taking at 10 in a win now season?

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Tyron Smith
Morgan Moses
Donovan Smith (started for SB champs last year) or Cam Fleming (Played both LT and RT for Hackett in Denver)
Carter Warren
Javon Foster

I'd absolutely HATE it! Donovan Smith is toast.  Charles Leno is not much better than Smith, and Bakhtiari is more of an injury risk than Smith.  Foster is not a good OT prospect imo.  He's about the same as Carter Warren or Max Mitchell.  That would be grounds for JD to be fired.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The odds of Bakhtiari being healthy then are less than Smith being healthy.  It's not dealing with reality.  I'd rather have Fashanu, but I would be fine with Fautanu.  The Jets need to get a starter for next year in this draft, and to serve as a backup for this year.  The advantage is that he can learn from Smith and Moses this season, and be ready to hit the ground running next season and play at a higher level.

• Post of the Week 2

18 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Tough to say with Fautanu having not played a down in the NFL.  This is a part of the conversation that gets left out a lot with the tackle at 10 option.  How many of these guys hit the ground running and are ready to start from day 1? Seems it takes longer to get an o-lineman ready now that it did in year's past because of the play style in college.  If the rook they take in round 1 needs half a season to settle in, is he worth taking at 10 in a win now season?

Yes, because we need two starting OTs for next season.  That OT would get some experience this year and have the opportunity to adjust to the NFL and learn from Smith and Moses this year, and then he'd play at a higher level next year.

• Upvote 2

Personally, I think they’re going to roll with what they have and if someone gets injured they will call Bakhtiari off the couch.

I don’t think he’ll end up going to a training camp.

Also, not saying I agree with this method it’s just the feeling I get.

24 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

The odds of Bakhtiari being healthy then are less than Smith being healthy.  It's not dealing with reality.  I'd rather have Fashanu, but I would be fine with Fautanu.  The Jets need to get a starter for next year in this draft, and to serve as a backup for this year.  The advantage is that he can learn from Smith and Moses this season, and be ready to hit the ground running next season and play at a higher level.

Bakhtiari would be the backup in this scenario. Unless he’s getting hurt on the bench, I think you could squeeze some good play out of him in a pinch.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yep. Andrew Thomas took a year. Penei Sewell was awful the first half of the year. Very rare to get an OT that comes in and plays well right away. Dicey situation with a QB who’s one snap away from certain death.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think a more pertinent question is, which guy is going to be more important when tyrod taylor is the qb and the jets are again searching the waiver wire for a backup qb?  Is a road grading Rt like fuaga going to help save jd’s job more than a diva wr who isn’t getting the ball more than 3x/game b/c breece, garrett and MW need to eat too?

I think if Rodgers goes down 1. Everyone is fired anyway and 2. If the response to Rodgers going down is to transition into a power running team, Carter Warren can do that for you. There are plenty of mauler-types later in the draft. If you’re picking an OT at ten, it’s because they’re at least solid in pass pro, imo

• Upvote 2

I think if Rodgers goes down 1. Everyone is fired anyway and 2. If the response to Rodgers going down is to transition into a power running team, Carter Warren can do that for you. There are plenty of mauler-types later in the draft. If you’re picking an OT at ten, it’s because they’re at least solid in pass pro, imo

Here’s my take - the jets are going to be a big time run team anyway.  You can’t have rodgers throwing 40x unless you’re really losing.  And you also can’t risk him getting hit too many times.  So taking a guy like fuaga who is a beast in the run game and pretty good in pass pro makes a lot of sense.  

• Upvote 3

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Here’s my take - the jets are going to be a big time run team anyway.  You can’t have rodgers throwing 40x unless you’re really losing.  And you also can’t risk him getting hit too many times.  So taking a guy like fuaga who is a beast in the run game and pretty good in pass pro makes a lot of sense.  

For sure, and I think he’ll eventually be the pick. Cimini is saying that Douglas is in deep dark love with him. 

• Haha 1

For sure, and I think he’ll eventually be the pick. Cimini is saying that Douglas is in deep dark love with him. 

The more i read and watch highlights of these OL, fuaga seems like the safest pick after alt.  He’s a beast, a typical RT I’ve seen comped to taylor decker.  A tone setter in the run game and pretty good in pass pro.  If douglas is who he says he is, that’s the type of guy he should be drafting.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bakhtiari would be the backup in this scenario. Unless he’s getting hurt on the bench, I think you could squeeze some good play out of him in a pinch.

He would probably get hurt in practice.  Bakhtiari can't stay healthy.  Look at how few games he has played over the last 4-5 seasons.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

The more i read and watch highlights of these OL, fuaga seems like the safest pick after alt.  He’s a beast, a typical RT I’ve seen comped to taylor decker.  A tone setter in the run game and pretty good in pass pro.  If douglas is who he says he is, that’s the type of guy he should be drafting.  

The knock on him that I’ve heard is that he isn’t awesome in pass pro and wasn’t tested much in that conference. But, I think that’s a pretty consistent complaint with all of these non-Alt guys. The guy whose win rate is top tier is Amarius Mims, apparently. 

2 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

He would probably get hurt in practice.  Bakhtiari can't stay healthy.  Look at how few games he has played over the last 4-5 seasons.

He’s been complaining about his knee surgeries for three years and is apparently a diva about it, but he supposedly got another surgery last year after being shut down that has him trending upward. Would I want him as a seventeen game starter? Hell no. But as a spot starter? Sure

• Upvote 1

The knock on him that I’ve heard is that he isn’t awesome in pass pro and wasn’t tested much in that conference. But, I think that’s a pretty consistent complaint with all of these non-Alt guys. The guy whose win rate is top tier is Amarius Mims, apparently. 

Thing is all 32 teams need tackles and very few are elite.  Tackles who are pretty good in pass pro and very good in run blocking are few and far in between.  

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The problem with Fuaga is that I don't think he could play LT, and if the Jets draft an OT in round 1, it needs to be one who could play LT.  Moses may not miss a game.  He has only missed 4 in his career, 3 last season with the torn pec, and 1 when he played for the Jets before.  It would be nice to have Fuaga for next year, but he probably wouldn't help the Jets this year.  In addition, I don't think that he has ever played on the left side.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Listen guy - if Tyler Conklin goes down in week 4. Would you rather Bowers coming in to replace him or Jeremey Ruckert? 

Told You So Epix GIF by PENNYWORTH

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Would take some stones to draft a guy with the last name if mims

56 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

The problem with Fuaga is that I don't think he could play LT, and if the Jets draft an OT in round 1, it needs to be one who could play LT.  Moses may not miss a game.  He has only missed 4 in his career, 3 last season with the torn pec, and 1 when he played for the Jets before.  It would be nice to have Fuaga for next year, but he probably wouldn't help the Jets this year.  In addition, I don't think that he has ever played on the left side.

I agree and this is the one knock on fuaga.  That said, it’s possible he shifts to LT down the line.  He’s also 2 yrs younger than fautanu so there’s that.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JKlecko said:

Yes, because we need two starting OTs for next season.  That OT would get some experience this year and have the opportunity to adjust to the NFL and learn from Smith and Moses this year, and then he'd play at a higher level next year.

I think (and hope) the FO is focused on this year.  The QB is 41 coming off a huge injury.  May not have a QB 8 months from now.  Try to win while you have one.

• Upvote 1

I didn't see anything from Carter warren last year to make me think he's a capable backup. That said, he a rookie, and I refuse to crap on any rookie. 

We need high quality backups, can't risk our qbs health yet again on something we know, going in, is questionable

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

I didn't see anything from Carter warren last year to make me think he's a capable backup. That said, he a rookie, and I refuse to crap on any rookie. 

We need high quality backups, can't risk our qbs health yet again on something we know, going in, is questionable

So are you in favor of a proven (but not dominant) veteran or an unproven rookie who may be great one day but could struggle in year one?

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

I think (and hope) the FO is focused on this year.  The QB is 41 coming off a huge injury.  May not have a QB 8 months from now.  Try to win while you have one.

The chances of the Jets winning it all this year are remote.  You can't sacrifice the future for one half-assed attempt at winning it all this year.  With no starting caliber OT on the roster for next year, the Jets would be screwed and would be lucky not to wind up 0-17.