Jets should target a Veteran S

Best fits for top remaining free agents after 2024 NFL Draft: 

Justin Simmons
DEN • FS • #31
View Profile

Best fit: New York Jets

The Jets didn't address safety in the draft, thanks to filling out some holes on offense. With a deep safety class remaining in free agency, they could afford the luxury.

In comes Simmons, who is coming off a season which he finished with 70 tackles, three interceptions and eight passes defended. Opposing quarterbacks targeting Simmons had just a 58.4 passer rating as he earned his third straight Second Team All-Pro selection. 

Simmons is a better option than Tony Adams or Chuck Clark at the moment -- and the Jets have been active in free agency. The price just needs to go down. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/best-fits-for-top-remaining-free-agents-after-2024-nfl-draft-ryan-tannehill-tyler-boyd-still-available/

1. Justin Simmons, S

savqtdwyqwp8azfdixe5.jpg Michael Owens/Getty Images

Justin Simmons has garnered second-team All-Pro recognition four times in the last half-decade. That says enough about his talent.

Unfortunately, it's also not that simple. Only so many franchises are willing to pay a high-priced safety.

Although the 2024 cycle lacked superstars at the position, teams weren't rushing to sign Simmons while he counted against the compensatory pick formula. That no longer applies after the draft.

In other words, Simmons' market should pick up swiftly now that the draft is over—depending on his price, of course.

While the New York Jets and Seattle Seahawks could use an upgrade at safety, the Tennessee Titans and New England Patriots have more financial flexibility.

Potential Landing Spots: New York Jets, Seattle Seahawks, Tennessee Titans, New England Patriots

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10118495-10-best-nfl-free-agents-available-after-2024-draft

Best Remaining Safety Free Agents, 2024:

• Justin Simmons
  • Eddie Jackson
  • Marcus Maye
  • Micah Hyde
  • Quandre Diggs
  • Jamal Adams
  • Tracy Walker
  • Jayron Kearse
  • Adrian Phillips
  • Tashaun Gipson
  • Kareem Jackson
  • Will Harris
  • Terrell Edmunds
  • Keanu Neal
  • Rudy Ford
  • Ryan Neal
  • Adrian Amos
  • John Johnson

--------

Jets have a trio of experience S in Adams, Davis and Clark. Behind them are Bernard-Converse and Keys. Simmons maybe too big of a splash. Jackson, Diggs and Maye can hopefully sign as reserves if they put their egos to the side. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Only news feed I found is that his close bro, "Hollywood" who he use to bring to camp and vacation with

kerry_rhodes.jpg

is now Shannon Sharpe's personal assistant leading to speculations

Shannon-Sharpe-GettyImages-1476820591.jp

Unc is a bit sassy.

Figure jets feel Jarrick BC is better than the day 3 safety who were available. Remember he was the high RAS player last year. Like Tyler Owens this year. (Got a huge udfa deal from Washington)

Feela like Jets are happy to roll with the 5 on the roster. 

Rather they spend on veteran O and D line depth 

11 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Only news feed I found is that his close bro, "Hollywood" who he use to bring to camp and vacation with

kerry_rhodes.jpg

is now Shannon Sharpe's personal assistant leading to speculations

Shannon-Sharpe-GettyImages-1476820591.jp

What? That’s insane! These people are crazy. 

11 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think we should. We should add someone like Chuck Clark. Bring him in on a cheap 1 year deal. He was an above average SS for several years.

Lol was here to make a similar comment 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

I think we should pick up Jamal Adams on the cheap and make him carry Mr. Irrelevant’s equipment to and from practice. 

Not possible. He still hasn’t learned how to use an automatic door so he needs at least one hand free. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

Feela like Jets are happy to roll with the 5 on the roster. 

Rather they spend on veteran O and D line depth 

5? I'd be very surprised if they took more than 4 into the regular season. One of JBC or Keys will likely end up on the practice squad, if not both.

I like the idea of a Vet safety. We need more help for the free safety role. As OP said though, price will probably determine whether we actually do this. The JFM trade didn't free quite as much cap as I thought 

We'll probably know soon just how aggressive the Jets plan to be in the post-draft wave of FA. 

They only have a few million in cap space after they sign their rookie class. They can free up a good amount of space by extending one or more of the following: 

DJ Reed

Haason Redick 

Tyler Conklin 

I still think they need another WR, IOL depth and safety help. Schweitzer is our only IOL backup and he has injury issues. I like Corley but if Mike Williams goes down the only WR that I feel good about doing traditional WR stuff is GW. 

Safety is definitely the weakest of these areas but still don't believe the Jets will be shopping in the Justin Simmons price range. 

One under the radar signing may be Calais Campbell. He was still really good last year and can help fill that inside/outside versatility JFM provided. If he wants to sign for a slightly smaller amount than he did w/ the Falcons (1/7.5mm) I could see the Jets signing him. 

• Post of the Week 1