Buster Skrine allegedly on run from police

On 5/10/2024 at 5:39 PM, Sarge4Tide said:

Sad that he messed up his life so bad. I’m afraid we’re going to see more and more of this  as college players start making a lot of NIL money only to suddenly find themselves out on the street 

I think teams throughout professional sports should offer "money management" seminars to their players.  When you are 22 years old, and suddenly, you make crazy money in your first 7 years or so, some people think it will last forever.  It doesn't.  

Maybe teams and agents should as part of players contracts, offer annuity type deals, where the player will get annual money over the course of 30 years?  Say a contract is worth $30M.  Get $15M during the course of the say 4 year contract, and the other $15M with interest over the course of the next 30 years.  That could end up being like an extra $750K per year, or something to that effect.

A guy like Buster Skrine would have benefitted from something like this, I think.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Alka said:

I think teams throughout professional sports should offer "money management" seminars to their players.  When you are 22 years old, and suddenly, you make crazy money in your first 7 years or so, some people think it will last forever.  It doesn't.  

Maybe teams and agents should as part of players contracts, offer annuity type deals, where the player will get annual money over the course of 30 years?  Say a contract is worth $30M.  Get $15M during the course of the say 4 year contract, and the other $15M with interest over the course of the next 30 years.  That could end up being like an extra $750K per year, or something to that effect.

A guy like Buster Skrine would have benefitted from something like this, I think.

Maybe your employer could hold 50% of your income for thirty years because it's dumb to spend money on the Jets?

On 5/11/2024 at 10:54 AM, y2k8 said:

"Let's go back to MetLife where Jeane Coakley is with Buster Skrine for the 11th consecutive week after a loss for some inexplicable reason..."

"Buster, what's the mindset of the team right now...?"

"How frustrating is it ...?"

"What was coaches message to the team...?"

Finally we a reason for Coakly to interview this scrub, and we get nothing.

Good point. Why is it that nearly every reporter when interviewing a player in whatever sport has to throw in the obligatory "how frustrating is this for you" question? It's the most inane waste of time.

25 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Maybe your employer could hold 50% of your income for thirty years because it's dumb to spend money on the Jets?

I guess you don't invest in annuities?  It's not for everyone, and if you do invest in it, you should diversify your investments.

Personally, I have annuities, but I have mixed feelings about having them.

In any case, I am not advocating for an employer to hold anyone's income for 30 years.  I'm advocating for something like a 6% interest rate of growth, and getting yearly annuities every year starting with the year that the player no longer is playing.  

Lotteries have the option of annuities or lump sum.  Not everyone can handle getting a lump sum, and not burning the money away.

Again, it's not for everyone.  I did say it was just an offering; not that the player should necessarily take it.  It depends on the individual.

On 5/10/2024 at 4:22 PM, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Canadian police say they are searching for former Jets defensive back Darryl “Buster” Skrine after he missed a court date relating to bank fraud allegations that were levied last year.

Skrine was arrested last August and accused of committing over $100,000 in bank fraud in an alleged scheme where he would open new bank accounts with fraudulent check deposits and withdraw money from the accounts before the checks cleared.

Police in Canada are searching for former Jets defensive back Buster Skrine, after he missed a court date and his GPS monitoring device went offline related to a case in which he was accused of bank fraud last year.

Police in Canada are searching for former Jets defensive back Buster Skrine, after he missed a court date and his GPS monitoring device went offline related to a case in which he was accused of bank fraud last year.Bill Kostroun/New York Post

Skrine had been granted bail from the Saskatchewan Correctional Centre on April 24

He is wanted for Fail to Appear and Fail to Comply with Release Order, and the police are offering a $2,000 cash reward.

When he was originally detained, police said that “there is reason to believe the same male has been committing similar offences (sic) across Canada,” referring to the check scheme.

Skrine played college football at Chattanooga and was selected in the fifth round of the 2011 NFL Draft by the Browns.

He appeared in 59 games for the Jets over those four years, including 48 starts.

He should have showed up. It's Canada.....what's he looking at if pleads guilty? 5 days on house arrest and no access to the Strategic Maple Syrup Reserve for 24 months?

• Haha 2

On 5/13/2024 at 10:33 AM, Alka said:

NFL and all the leagues have been doing this for decades.  Dave Szott is the guy the jets hired in this capacity in 2006. 

• Upvote 1