Breer article on Saleh

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

And then you have becton as well.  2 guys who fell on their faces last year and ruined the season, and finally the gm showed some balls and got rid of both and replaced them with a proven legit qb backup and hopefully a real LT. 

Overcoming adversity!!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

It's Saleh's biggest problem. There's his plan and they must follow the plan. Adjusting in the short or long term is treated like a hail mary in the final seconds when the loss is obvious and probable. 

This is why my optimism about this season is severely tempered. Success depends on (avoiding injuries and) Rodgers's ability to adjust the offense at the line and fighting Saleh wanting to play a conservative and plodding offense. It's not a good sign when the players have to save the team from the coaches.

I generally agree with this, although in defense of Saleh I don't think Nate Hackett was his plan. His plan was MLF who was undermined because we drafted Mormon Ryan Leaf.

• Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That Josina Anderson report that Woody refused to let them spend a dime on another backup makes a lot of sense in retrospect. 

That’s also code for I want Zach to play

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

10 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I generally agree with this, although in defense of Saleh I don't think Nate Hackett was his plan. His plan was MLF who was undermined because we drafted Mormon Ryan Leaf.

I don't think Saleh was ever sold on Zach Wilson. He wanted to emulate what the Niners were doing while he was there. He didn't want a guy running around like a chicken with his head cut off looking for the hero ball. That's the exact opposite of what Saleh wanted. But this was his first head coaching gig and jet didn't want to turn it down (assuming he knew the plan was Zach when he was hired.) Once they drafted Zach he probably thought he could make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t. He was wrong.

6 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Woody wanted Rodgers to play, not Zach. Come on.

After he got hurt. Beforehand, I’m sure Woody was stirring the pot about Zachs potential and keeping him around in  a “redshirt” year yet remaining as the backup. 

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

An interesting thought is this: Saleh isn’t even a factor in how well the Jets do this season. He runs the defense, which Ulbrich can do just as well at this point. If Saleh quit in January and they elevated Ulbrich, are the Jets any worse off today? 

This take works only if you don’t have a clue how teams run.  
Come on

33 minutes ago, slats said:

Prior to snap #4 last year, Rodgers hadn’t missed a start in five seasons. I was okay with Zach in the #2 role, staying involved in the game planning and hopefully learning something while Rodgers continued not to miss a start. It didn’t work out that way. There were marginal starting QBs available in free agency at that time, and -for whatever reason- they opted not to go that route. Was that Woody holding the purse? Or was it Douglas making the determination that the money spent for a one year rental wasn’t worth the investment at that point? I don’t know. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t Saleh, though. 

A mea culpa from Douglas would be nice. Not we fought adversity because we made a dumb decision holding onto a player who cannot play on a team who was looking to win. 

25 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I don't think Saleh was ever sold on Zach Wilson. He wanted to emulate what the Niners were doing while he was there. He didn't want a guy running around like a chicken with his head cut off looking for the hero ball. That's the exact opposite of what Saleh wanted. But this was his first head coaching gig and jet didn't want to turn it down (assuming he knew the plan was Zach when he was hired.) Once they drafted Zach he probably thought he could make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t. He was wrong.

I mean it was reported at the time he wanted to roll with Darnold and trade the pick to I certainly buy that.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

A mea culpa from Douglas would be nice. Not we fought adversity because we made a dumb decision holding onto a player who cannot play on a team who was looking to win. 

I'll give Bobby Receipts your number. Expect his call with an apology.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

In other words, our HOF QB wasn't expected to win with such a crappy OL, but Zach was?  I assume everyone also agrees that Rodgers couldn't be expected to produce big numbers with a punt returner as his WR2 (but, again, Zach was).

I said nothing about Rodgers producing. An aged QB, when the stats overwhelmingly show that the most durable of players break down, should be protected so he can stay in the game or you have a legitimate backup that isn't one of the worst QBs to ever take an NFL snap to back him up.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

That’s not Salehs point 

He’s not excusing blame, he’s just pointing out the age old adage that you can learn something through adversity.  He’s talking about his players getting something out of a lost season.  

It’s not that difficult to understand.  We know, they F’d up the QB situation.  Separate discussion

When the adversity was a product of their own f’ up, it actually isn’t a separate discussion though.

That’s like saying: “I rode my motorcycle without a helmet, I’m surprised that when I fell that I gave myself brain damage, but my rehab experience will help me be smarter when riding a motorcycle in the future.”

Like, you could have just listened to the millions of people who told you to wear your helmet like a normal human being and not gotten the brain damage in the first place.

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

When the adversity was a product of their own f’ up, it actually isn’t a separate discussion though.

That’s like saying: “I rode my motorcycle without a helmet, I’m surprised that when I fell that I gave myself brain damage, but my rehab experience will help me be smarter when riding a motorcycle in the future.”

Like, you could have just listened to the millions of people who told you to wear your helmet like a normal human being and not gotten the brain damage in the first place.

Or maybe you say, "sh*t, I'll never do that again" and change your behavior?

15 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

No it’s like “I rode my motorcycle without a helmet, I’m surprised that when I fell that I gave myself brain damage, but my rehab experience will help me be smarter when riding a motorcycle in the future.” maybe this will learn something from this

16 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Pretty sure the adversity Saleh is talking about is all the injuries, your star QB going down immediately and your OL playing shuffle throughout the whole season. It would still be dealing with adversity even if he had a top tier back up. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Pretty sure the adversity Saleh is talking about is all the injuries, your star QB going down immediately and your OL playing shuffle throughout the whole season. It would still be dealing with adversity even if he had a top tier back up. 

shhhh.  You are spoiling the agenda. 

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

They didn’t deal though. They went with Zach Wilson and pretended the season didn’t count. Similar to what you are doing here. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Did last season make the Jets stronger by immediately punting it after Rodgers went down?  They didn’t even try to figure out QB.

And they didn't even punt all the way when they could have.  Why wasn't Bryce Huff traded at the deadline?  Made no sense. 

I don't think the 2025 comp pick would have carried greater value than what we could have gotten.  And since we were short on picks in '24 (no 2nd rounder), getting a 2024 pick when we could >>>> waiting on a 2025 pick.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I hope we're not saying this after this coming year about us keeping Saleh around.  We're very likely only getting 1-2 cracks at this with AR8.  If Saleh blows our best opportunity to do something great, that would be SUCH a disaster.  Again, Vrabel was just sitting there.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

I said nothing about Rodgers producing. An aged QB, when the stats overwhelmingly show that the most durable of players break down, should be protected so he can stay in the game or you have a legitimate backup that isn't one of the worst QBs to ever take an NFL snap to back him up.

So we had a terrible OL and terrible WRs (other than GW) but ZW was entirely to blame.  Got it!

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And they didn't even punt all the way when they could have.  Why wasn't Bryce Huff traded at the deadline?  Made no sense. 

I don't think the 2025 comp pick would have carried greater value than what we could have gotten.  And since we were short on picks in '24 (no 2nd rounder), getting a 2024 pick when we could >>>> waiting on a 2025 pick.

Curious if Rodgers gets hurt again next year or retires into outer space, does the season count? Is Tyrod Taylor the solution now?

• WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So we had a terrible OL and terrible WRs (other than GW) but ZW was entirely to blame.  Got it!

They Jets intentionally stacked the deck for Zach last year after getting outplayed by Flacco and White, the previous season, and was still eventually benched for Tom Boyle and Trevor Simien for poor play. He is currently behind Bo Nix and Jared Stidham in Denver. It’s obvious that Wilson had no business being the backup and everyone probably knew it. It’s now being gaslit as “adversity.” It’s a total crock of sh*t.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I hope we're not saying this after this coming year about us keeping Saleh around.  We're very likely only getting 1-2 cracks at this with AR8.  If Saleh blows our best opportunity to do something great, that would be SUCH a disaster.  Again, Vrabel was just sitting there.

Vrabel? 😅

1 minute ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

They didn't deal? wut?

Aaron Rodgers going down. That's not adversity?

No. Not when you knowingly have Wilson as the backup the whole way lol. Everyone knew the guy behind him was not an NFL player. What was the purpose of that? To have an alibi?

• Upvote 1

Just now, bicketybam said:

Matt is still hand wringing over Zach Wilson. It's nuts.

Because the meathead coach is talking about overcoming adversity. Like no numb nuts, that’s a problem you and Joe created. I haven’t heard Stefanski whining about adversity. The excuses are nauseating at this point. 

6 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

They didn't deal? wut?

Aaron Rodgers going down. That's not adversity?

Had we had Jacoby Brissett to send out there to replace Rodgers, there'd have been much less adversity, because we'd have been a playoff team.

A bunch of us here were screaming all Summer to acquire a legit QB2, relegating Zach Wilson to the project QB3 role, so this wasn't exactly rocket surgery here.  It was an easy call to make but they didn't do it.

The QB room in Denver likely sucks but Sean Payton at least is demonstrating a potential blueprint to a what could BE an OK QB room:  Young draftee (Nix), vet backup who starts Week 1 (Stidham), developmental QB3 (Z. Wilson).  It's so easy to do yet the Jets didn't do it last year and it was the # 1 reason the season was tanked.

• Upvote 1