Breer article on Saleh

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And yet you had people here taking Woody at his word when he said long after the fact “we didn’t have a backup QB”.  Riiight, like Woody was saying that at the time.  

I guess JD was being insubordinate when he waited nearly a month after the Rodgers injury to add Siemian and another 5 weeks to finally activate him, huh.  

How this actually happened is wild. After Rodgers went down, they still stacked the deck for Wilson! Why? They had two seasons worth of starts and film that showed he stunk. The team had a mutiny over Mike White. They babied him last preaseason with handoffs and dump offs and gaslit us with “improvement.” Now we gotta hear the head coach talk about adversity? **** off.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

On 6/18/2024 at 8:52 AM, Jet Nut said:

Rodgers injury wasn’t self inflicted.  

Not bringing in a legitimate QB2 all summer nor looking to aggressively add one immediately after the injury was the self-inflicted part.  

Saleh, for his part, should have been pounding the table for that and didn’t.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not bringing in a legitimate QB2 all summer nor looking to aggressively add one immediately after the injury was the self-inflicted part.  

Saleh doesn't ever take ownership of the team.  Whenever someone asks him a question that has anything to do with personnel, he says that this is a question for Joe Douglas.  He laughs, he rambles on about how he is happy with the direction of the team, even if the team is 4-7, he says that things are looking up.

He is a rah-rah type of person, and never talks about how the team stinks. When anyone asks him about his job, he said that there is pressure every day, and there is always pressure.  He is the ultimate diplomat.  Jets fans don't want diplomacy, they want honesty, and they want results.  If the Jets don't get to the playoffs this year, Saleh will be gone, and he would deserve to be gone if it doesn't happen.

But the Jets should make the playoffs this year,  despite  Saleh's poor performance as the head coach of the Jets.

• Upvote 3

On 6/18/2024 at 9:11 AM, bicketybam said:

You can't try to overcome the adversity of your own mistakes? If you accidentally cut yourself with your table saw, should you just sit there and watch yourself bleed out? 😅

Yes. Yes you should. This is what Darwin predicted. Don't fight evolution.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How do you know he didn’t? 

• Upvote 3

On 6/18/2024 at 2:05 PM, bicketybam said:

I don't think Saleh was ever sold on Zach Wilson. He wanted to emulate what the Niners were doing while he was there. He didn't want a guy running around like a chicken with his head cut off looking for the hero ball. That's the exact opposite of what Saleh wanted. But this was his first head coaching gig and jet didn't want to turn it down (assuming he knew the plan was Zach when he was hired.) Once they drafted Zach he probably thought he could make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t. He was wrong.

Hmmmmm

It is important to remember that Saleh indicated that he could work with Sam Darnold.  That now in retrospect was and is very telling. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/18/2024 at 12:55 PM, Matt39 said:

The jets didn’t even bring in guys for workouts. Wentz reached out. So did Flacco. The Jets said no thanks.  And now we’re hearing about adversity? Give me a break. 

Thank you! 🙏 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

How do you know he didn’t? 

Saleh is Bowlesian in that respect—management inflicts gruesome harms unto his roster and, even though he’s the guy who ultimately has to answer for it, goes out there and toes the company line. Try to imagine what Kyle Shanahan would do to John Lynch or Niners ownership if they insisted he had to start Trey Lance for three straight years. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Saleh is Bowlesian in that respect—management inflicts gruesome harms unto his roster and, even though he’s the guy who ultimately has to answer for it, goes out there and toes the company line. Try to imagine what Kyle Shanahan would do to John Lynch or Niners ownership if they insisted he had to start Trey Lance for three straight years. 

Wait, was it JD or Woody that insisted Wilson start for 3 years? The blame changes so often. And where does JetBlue fit into the equation?

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think so. I think Shanahan and Lynch are pretty much on the same page the way Saleh and JD try to be, the major difference is that they got luckier than NE with their Mr. Irrelevant. Another difference is that they’ve been at it longer, and already had a program in place with Garoppolo before making the switch. I haven’t heard Shanahan ever speak out against his GM or owner, and I don’t think I ever would. If they didn’t have Purdy, they would’ve played who they had. Our guys tried to put a program in place with a rookie head coach, OC and QB. That was their primary mistake. They also tried to abandon that plan after two years, but got ****ed by an achilles. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

I don’t think so. I think Shanahan and Lynch are pretty much on the same page the way Saleh and JD try to be, the major difference is that they got luckier than NE with their Mr. Irrelevant. Another difference is that they’ve been at it longer, and already had a program in place with Garoppolo before making the switch. I haven’t heard Shanahan ever speak out against his GM or owner, and I don’t think I ever would. If they didn’t have Purdy, they would’ve played who they had. Our guys tried to put a program in place with a rookie head coach, OC and QB. That was their primary mistake. They also tried to abandon that plan after two years, but got ****ed by an achilles. 

Do you think if Purdy was on the Jets roster, he would have played over Zach? We had White, who was better than Zach and he was allowed to walk while retaining Wilson.

13 hours ago, Alka said:

Saleh doesn't ever take ownership of the team.  Whenever someone asks him a question that has anything to do with personnel, he says that this is a question for Joe Douglas.  He laughs, he rambles on about how he is happy with the direction of the team, even if the team is 4-7, he says that things are looking up.

He is a rah-rah type of person, and never talks about how the team stinks. When anyone asks him about his job, he said that there is pressure every day, and there is always pressure.  He is the ultimate diplomat.  Jets fans don't want diplomacy, they want honesty, and they want results.  If the Jets don't get to the playoffs this year, Saleh will be gone, and he would deserve to be gone if it doesn't happen.

But the Jets should make the playoffs this year,  despite  Saleh's poor performance as the head coach of the Jets.

Because Saleh doesn’t control the 90 man or 53 man roster. Douglas does. I’m sure he has a say but final decision / control is Douglas.  Saleh controls the game day active / inactives. 

And of course Douglas has a budget given to him by Woody and Hymie Elhai that he must follow. 

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Do you think if Purdy was on the Jets roster, he would have played over Zach? We had White, who was better than Zach and he was allowed to walk while retaining Wilson.

Who does Mike White start for again? I can't remember.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Yes, 100%. They tried to hand the job to White, but he was unable to stay healthy. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/pff-brock-purdy-gets-more-help-than-any-other-nfl-quarterback-01j0rmxqqwjs

Shanahan system vs. Gase, MLF, Hackett system. Purdy benefits from a lockdown OL, incredible WR room and CMC.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

Who does Mike White start for again? I can't remember.

He’s a backup. Which he would have been here and is 100x the player Wilson is. The Niners recognized Lance stunk and moved him. The Jets held on to Wilson when 1. They had a better QB on the roster and 2. It was abundantly clear he was not a NFL player.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

But they also then got rid of him in favor of Wilson. 

Because he’s not a starting caliber QB, and Wilson had a $35M fully guaranteed contract and no trade value. 

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

SF didn't hand the job to Purdy either. The one they handed the job to was Lance. Purdy didn't see the field until both Lance and Garoppolo were on IR. 

With they way he played as just a rookie, and the way they went 8-0 as a team with him at QB, until he got knocked out of the NFCCG,  and having him locked up for dirt-cheap for the next 3 seasons, there isn't a GM or HC in football that would've insisted that he get benched for a 3rd year QB who couldn't take command of the starting job. 

Year 3 the 49ers officially demoted Lance & they further him because they already had their long-term QB (albeit a different one than they expected) and trading Lance removed any potential controversy in advance, should Purdy have hit a rough patch for a couple games.

Year 3 the Jets officially demoted Wilson, but didn't dump him because Rodgers wasn't a long-term QB, there were no potential controversies favoring Wilson over Rodgers, and yeah I'm sure there were a couple of them still holding out hope that Wilson's neck-up issues might be resolved by having him hold a clipboard for an all-time great (so much for that plan, lol). 

But if the Jets were willing to dump a 1st, a 2nd, and upwards of $150MM for Rodgers, there's little to no chance after nearly leading the team to a Super Bowl as a rookie with 3 cheap years left that they'd have kept Zach as the starter. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Yes, 100%. They tried to hand the job to White, but he was unable to stay healthy. 

White came in relief in the New England game in 2021. He threw a TD and a 2 picks. He then had a phenomenal game against Cincinnati and followed that up with a good start again against Indy before then got hurt early and was out for the game. He came back 10 days later and spit the bit agaist Buffalo (4 picks, 33.4 passer rating.)

I'm 2022 he started against the Bears and was near perfect. The next game against the Vikings he didn't even complete 55% of his passes and had a passer rating of 59.8. The Jets lost that crucial game. 

He was somewhat better in the following must win game against the Bills but got folded in half when he missed a protection call against Milano. The Jets went of to lose that game.

Two weeks later they trotted out the hobbled shell of MyQuite against the Geno led Seattle Seahawks where he could barely complete 50% of his passes and put up a stellar 47.4 passer rating while throwing 2 picks in a do it die game.

White finished his career as a NYJ QB with a passer rating of 76.1. He threw 8 TD's vs 12 picks. Surely this is the guy that should have been the career backup here. HOF.

• Upvote 1