I had no idea what the new kick-off rules were, until today. Kick-off returns will look a lot different this season.

ARodJetsFan

The many new rules for kickoffs and returns are the NFL's latest attempt to strike that perfect balance between more exciting plays and fewer serious injuries. What will kickoffs look like in the year ahead? Let us count some of the ways.

• All kicking team players other than the kicker (who will still kick from his 35) will line up with one foot on the receiving team's 40-yard line. These players can't move until the kick hits the ground or a player in the "landing zone" or the end zone.
  • At least nine receiving team players must line up in the "setup zone" between their 30 and 35, and seven of them must have a foot on the 35. A maximum of two returners may line up in the landing zone (goal line to 20).
  • Any kick that first hits in the LZ must be returned. Any kick that first hits short of the LZ is treated like a kick out of bounds, first-and-10 from the receiving team's 40. Any kick that hits in the LZ and then goes into the end zone must be returned or downed by the receiving team. If downed for a touchback, the ball is spotted at the 20.
  • Yet another variety of touchback: Any kick that first hits in the EZ and stays inbounds, which must be either returned or downed for a touchback, and any kick that goes through the EZ, in the air or on the bounce. These TBs get the ball spotted at the 30.

The fans will be drawn to their returners, who suddenly will go from arms outstretched and jogging to their sideline, signaling an unreturnable kickoff, to returning many kickoffs, some of them for many yards.

"I think 22 percent of all kicks last year were returned," Boyer said. "I'll bet you that number goes to anywhere around 70 to 80 percent this year, so that's a huge uptick."

Brant Boyer and Jets Special Teams Tackle 'Huge Unknown' of New Kickoff Rules (newyorkjets.com)

• ARodJetsFan changed the title to I had no idea what the new kick-off rules were, until today. Kick-off returns will look a lot different this season.
37 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

there is going to be a specific type of player who come out of this thing golden. i am thinking someone much more like a shifty RB than say Brad Smith.

With two returners, I’d love one to be a converted QB who could throw the ball across the field once in awhile. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Bigger. It’s more like an interception return than a kickoff. Corley should so it. 

Saleh mentioned the new KOR rules when answering a question about drafting two RBs, saying that was part of it. But they also picked up a couple smallish, Gipson-like returners in Codrington and Cohen, too. Pretty much expect a work in progress from every team in the league this year, I could see them mixing and matching return guys until they find something that works. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, k-met57 said:

there is going to be a specific type of player who come out of this thing golden. i am thinking someone much more like a shifty RB than say Brad Smith.

Perhaps this is why we saw 2 RBs get selected. Maybe 1 to be used this way, or maybe Izzy gets re-assigned to this…