“Pitch Was Very Difficult”- Lionel Messi Annoyed With Copa America Playing Conditions

13 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Can we at least agree that golfers are not great athletes?

swing03_600x600_0.jpg

Agreed. Golf is a sporting activity, and requires serious skill and lots of practice to be truly great, but it’s not a sport per se. It’s more in the “other” class like table tennis, shot-putting, curling, billiards, darts, ballet, etc. 

6 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Joey Chestnut greatest athlete ever.

You are welcome. 

Curlers are the best athletes. Only because they managed to convince the Olympics to include their "sport" of shuffleboard on ice. "Yeah, we're a ...sport?" ; stiffle laughter. The bocce players should demand such Olympic recognition. 

Metlife sucks. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Curlers are the best athletes. Only because they managed to convince the Olympics to include their "sport" of shuffleboard on ice. "Yeah, we're a ...sport?" ; stiffle laughter. The bocce players should demand such Olympic recognition. 

Metlife sucks. 

Agreed. My cousin curls. He says the beer never gets warm. That’s nice, if that’s your sort of thing, 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Agreed. Golf is a sporting activity, and requires serious skill and lots of practice to be truly great, but it’s not a sport per se. It’s more in the “other” class like table tennis, shot-putting, curling, billiards, darts, ballet, etc. 

foosball

• Upvote 1

https://www.essentiallysports.com/soccer-football-news-pitch-was-very-difficult-lionel-messi-annoyed-with-copa-america-playing-conditions-in-the-usa-after-beating-canada/
A 2-0 victory against the tournament’s underdogs saw the World Champions book their place into the finals for the second consecutive time. Even though the result suggests that it was a walk in the park for La Albiceleste, Lionel Messi has cleared this delusion, revealing that poor playing conditions at the MetLife Stadium made it a ‘very difficult‘ contest.
Why is it so difficult to maintain a grass field at Met Life Stadium when it's done successfully so many other regions with worse weather conditions? 
.e926aa8e928af0b4a4b0159cea532543.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

It's not a lawn, rather trays of grass on top of the fieldturf they swap in and out. 
Then it should be done differently and better like the rest of the planet earth.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Messi just came out of the game after slipping on the field. Looks like he pulled a quad.

What a disaster.

Everything about the Copa America experience has been a disaster. Fans rushing the gate like a stampede. Did you see the images of fans climbing through the vents? Insanity. Tickets were no longer necessary?  The grass was watered at half time? Field was a total disaster. Would not be surprised if Messi blames the turf. What a disaster. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Everything about the Copa America experience has been a disaster. Fans rushing the gate like a stampede. Did you see the images of fans climbing through the vents? Insanity. Tickets were no longer necessary?  The grass was watered at half time? Field was a total disaster. Would not be surprised if Messi blames the turf. What a disaster. 

At a loss how so many people without tickets managed to get close enough to charge the gate. MetLife is a total pain in the ass to get into with ridiculous security. Hard Rock from the 1 time I was there wasn't any different. Would think you simply do what NFL teams do and it works out. Thousands of people without tickets got in, people who paid thousands for legit tickets didn't get in. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Bugg said:

At a loss how so many people without tickets managed to get close enough to charge the gate. MetLife is a total pain in the ass to get into with ridiculous security. Hard Rock from the 1 time I was there wasn't any different. Would think you simply do what NFL teams do and it works out. Thousands of people without tickets got in, people who paid thousands for legit tickets didn't get in. 

Ton of satellite parking at Hard Rock where people can walk up to the gate. 

45 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Imagine paying those ticket prices, hotel and a plane ticket from Colombia/Argentina and not getting in? Criminal

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Copernicus said:

He’ll rightfully blame the turf. Crazy stuff. In the previous game, you had Uruguayan players rushing the stands to protect their families from fans.

I’ve been to a few soccer games, including a Real Madrid vs Barcelona game. Soccer fans are crazy. You have to separate them in the stands.

5 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Watching the Euros and the Copa America at the same time was pretty surreal.

Everything about the Euros was better. The field, the officiating, etc.

The style of play was different also. It was like watching a beautiful WCO attack vs Rex Ryan’s ground and pound.

The Uruguay v Columbia match was a WWE match. You had a Uruguayan player shove a Columbian player in the face. That Columbian player then went back and hit the other guy with an uppercut to the gut. I was like WTF is happening. lol

• Upvote 1

On 7/12/2024 at 6:05 PM, bicketybam said:

Can we at least agree that golfers are not great athletes?

swing03_600x600_0.jpg

I followed him from 7 to 17 at river highlands in Cromwell CT at the Travelers. 

He had a cigarette going, walked up to the tee box, threw the lit cigarette in the grass nearby, took 1 look down the fairway, no practice swings, no waggle, just crushes one super high super far and shaped the ball just right to land right in the middle of the fairway. 

takes a step, picks up the cigarette, starts walking. 

bloody legend. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/12/2024 at 7:30 AM, Trotter said:

Metlife is underappreciated.

I challenge anyone to find another state where architects sit around a room and design a stadium to be dead spot on to an air conditioner. That takes talent.

Remember the mall next to it used to be painted in checkerboard and assorted colors that was just plain awful. It was so bad people actually wanted it torn down and it had never opened yet. The supposed story behind the exterior design was the lead architect was driving up the turnpike and passed port newark and saw all of the shipping containers.  Light bulb went off and there was the design.

What other state in this nation can give you that type of insight and forward thinking and for the bargain price of 1.5 billion?

I always thought it was a lego thing ...  and i heard the borgota hotel sank like 5 feet in the first few years because of bad pilings  

On 7/15/2024 at 1:33 PM, GreenFish said:

He’ll rightfully blame the turf. Crazy stuff. In the previous game, you had Uruguayan players rushing the stands to protect their families from fans.

I’ve been to a few soccer games, including a Real Madrid vs Barcelona game. Soccer fans are crazy. You have to separate them in the stands.

My wife grew up in Argentina so I am familiar with how passionate soccer fans can be and how serious a sport it is taken for most of the world. The problems this Copa America faced in the US were an embarrassment. To have one of the top 1-3 iconic sports figures in the world today (Messi) highly criticize something that should be so simple as the playing surface is such a bad look for how we maintain our stadiums. I hope this sheds a little more light and pressure for Met Life (and all stadiums) to figure out a way to maintain a conventional natural playing surface. Soccer players (surprisingly) hardly ever sustain in game injuries that remove them from play. Messi's ankle turning and blowing up the way it did can easily be blamed for poor playing surface. 

• Upvote 3

On 7/16/2024 at 7:21 AM, Copernicus said:

My wife grew up in Argentina so I am familiar with how passionate soccer fans can be and how serious a sport it is taken for most of the world. The problems this Copa America faced in the US were an embarrassment. To have one of the top 1-3 iconic sports figures in the world today (Messi) highly criticize something that should be so simple as the playing surface is such a bad look for how we maintain our stadiums. I hope this sheds a little more light and pressure for Met Life (and all stadiums) to figure out a way to maintain a conventional natural playing surface. Soccer players (surprisingly) hardly ever sustain in game injuries that remove them from play. Messi's ankle turning and blowing up the way it did can easily be blamed for poor playing surface. 

Why is this so hard? Why are the Maras such stuck up asswipes? Replacing the turf would help the giants too

• Upvote 2

On 7/15/2024 at 7:32 PM, JetsFlyer said:

I always thought it was a lego thing ...  and i heard the borgota hotel sank like 5 feet in the first few years because of bad pilings  

would be a logical thought for Lego. I saw an article in the local paper that had the story about the shipping containers. They interviewed the architect and she thought it was such a unique concept. As scary as that might be she presented to the NJSEA and they all agreed.

Never heard about the Borgota - scary

13 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Why is this so hard? Why are the Maras such stuck up asswipes? Replacing the turf would help the giants too

The only legitimate reason I can see is that the natural turf would be damaged after each concert. But I agree there has to be a way. I mean other venues that have natural surfaces hosts concerts. No? 

• Upvote 2