Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

54 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

The Patriots have a new regime and inherited Judon. Douglas is hanging on for dear life and just traded for Reddick. But yeah the one variable is the player’s attitude. You are so mad at this guy.

The fact that the Patriots have a new regime & inherited Judon, isn't relevant to how Judon is conducting himself on his new team, which is the Falcons.

Almost an identical situation to Reddick's; Judon is still unhappy with his contract, yet he is happy to be there with the Falcons & is practicing with his teammates.

Are you're happy with Reddick's conduct & contributions to the team up to this point?

I think he's a pile of hot steaming garbage, and his "word" is the equivalent to a big load of dogsh!t.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

No different than what happened with Matt Judon.

The Falcons didn't give him a new deal either, he's playing for them, on the final year of his deal that he signed with the Pats, for a base salary of 6.5 million.

Is Judon holding out? No, he's not.

Very similar situation with entirely different results.

The one variable?

Simple, it's the player's attitude.

One understands & accepts the TEAM concept, the other does not and believes he is above the team.

On the field, the team is above the individual. At the negotiating table, it’s the team versus the individual. So putting the team above oneself in such a context is oxymoronic.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Negotiating is also about setting precedent. The Jets are unwilling to set a precedent here of an individual holding up the team, because he is just unhappy with something he himself has agreed to.

What Reddick agreed to was:

1.. To very the contract that he is now disgruntled about (and that is his right). But, if the Jets recognize that right and honor it, will set a dangerous precedent.

2. Telling the Jets (reportedly on several fronts), that he would attend mini-camp, and other team functions. 

If the Jets were to tell Reddick out of hand, they would agree to restructure his deal, just because he pouts, well what message does that send? Pouting will get you relief. Dangerous.

Also, how about the players that are on the final year of their contract, that have been part of the team and are showing up on expiring contracts (and there are several of them that have been contributors)? That is a crappy thing to do also. 

You can't let one player spoil the whole roster, just because he reportedly went back on his given word. Can't do it. It is Dangerous. 

I hear you. And where we are now, JD is doing the right thing. My point is, however, he never should’ve put himself in this situation at all.

But about Haasan previously agreeing to his current deal. Irrelevant. Teams cut guys with years left on their deals all the time. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

• Upvote 2

Just now, jgb said:

I hear you. And where we are now, JD is doing the right thing. My point is, however, he never should’ve put himself in this situation at all.

He made a mistake, he trusted someone at their word and they backed out. Maybe they should have pinky swore. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

He made a mistake, he trusted someone at their word and they backed out. Maybe they should have pinky swore. 

No… it’s called secure a bloody contract.

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

In order to believe that Reddick had agreed to play here—but not Philly—under his existing contract, you’d have to believe the Jets word as delivered from their on-call launderer Connor Hughes. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

What contract are you speaking of?

Is this a trick question?

Everyone knew he was unhappy with his current deal. Therefore any trade should’ve had the condition that an extension can be agreed between the Jets and the player.

Just now, T0mShane said:

In order to believe that Reddick has agreed to play here—but not Philly—under his existing contract, you’d have to believe the Jets word as delivered from their on-call launderer Connor Hughes. 

Tom, that is not totally true as "what they agreed to". The Jets (reportedly) told Reddick they WOULD be willing to discuss some contract changes, BUT he needs to show up and be a part of the team. The Jets, as it were, wanted to "kick the tires", and test out their bran new Porsche. Not unreasonable. You bend a little, so may we.

What has the Reddick camp said the agreement was?

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Is this a trick question?

Everyone knew he was unhappy with his current deal. Therefore any trade should’ve had the condition that an extension can be agreed between the Jets and the player.

Like I just wrote in another post, the Jets were willing to do that, BUT he has to show up and give some on his side.

What would DJ Reed and Michael Carter (among others) seeing a guy who has not given one ounce of sweat to the Jets get an adjusted contract? Again, poor precedent. All they asked him to do is show up and then we can talk. Heck, don't even be an idiot and lose money, and "hold-in". Maybe that gets you a little more empathy. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Tom, that is not totally true as "what they agreed to". The Jets (reportedly) told Reddick they WOULD be willing to discuss some contract changes, BUT he needs to show up and be a part of the team. The Jets, as it were, wanted to "kick the tires", and test out their bran new Porsche. Not unreasonable. You bend a little, so may we.

What has the Reddick camp said the agreement was?

The prevailing rumor is that Douglas at least implied they’d bump Reddick’s cash this season, and that Douglas was going to do so until Woody Johnson vetoed it. 

Like I just wrote in another post, the Jets were willing to do that, BUT he has to show up and give some on his side.

What would DJ Reed and Michael Carter (among others) seeing a guy who has not given one ounce of sweat to the Jets get an adjusted contract? Again, poor precedent. All they asked him to do is show up and then we can talk. Heck, don't even be an idiot and lose money, and "hold-in". Maybe that gets you a little more empathy. 

I don’t blame Reddick. He tears an ACL you really think the Jets would still negotiate with him as if he was healthy? JD messed up royally. Hopefully he can extricate himself in a semi-respectable fashion.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jgb said:

I don’t blame Reddick. He tears an ACL you really think the Jets would still negotiate with him as if he was healthy? JD messed up royally. Hopefully he can extricate himself in a semi-respectable fashion.

I understand that risk and respect it. But again, poor precedent on the part of the Jets to attend to someone because they are pouting.  You can't let one sour apple spoil the lot. 

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

In order to believe that Reddick had agreed to play here—but not Philly—under his existing contract, you’d have to believe the Jets word as delivered from their on-call launderer Connor Hughes. 

No just listen to his press conference from when he passed his Jets physical. 

• Upvote 4

I understand that risk and respect it. But again, poor precedent on the part of the Jets to attend to someone because they are pouting.  You can't let one sour apple spoil the lot. 

The only reason we are discussing precedent is because JD was either naive enough to make a multi-million dollar decision based on a promise or he was incompetent enough to forget to add the extension condition to the trade.

What is JD to do in that spot?

Exactly. He’d do what he’s doing now—taking the blame. We kinda saw this same dynamic with the Revis negotiations on Hard Knocks, with Woody (in his tennis outfit) driving around Central NY with Tannenbaum. Woody’s veto power comes from his ability to write the checks

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Exactly. He’d do what he’s doing now—taking the blame. We kinda saw this same dynamic with the Revis negotiations on Hard Knocks, with Woody (in his tennis outfit) driving around Central NY with Tannenbaum. Woody’s veto power comes from his ability to write the checks

People get a dump in their pants when you suggest it’s Woody being Woody

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Negotiating is also about setting precedent. The Jets are unwilling to set a precedent here of an individual holding up the team, because he is just unhappy with something he himself has agreed to.

What Reddick agreed to was:

1.. To the very the contract that he is now disgruntled about (and that is his right). But, if the Jets recognize that right and honor it, it will set a dangerous precedent.

2. Telling the Jets (reportedly on several fronts), that he would attend mini-camp, and other team functions. 

If the Jets were to tell Reddick out of hand, they would agree to restructure his deal, just because he pouts, well what message does that send? Pouting will get you relief. Dangerous.

Also, how about the players that are on the final year of their contract, that have been part of the team and are showing up on expiring contracts (and there are several of them that have been contributors)? That is a crappy thing to do also. 

You can't let one player spoil the whole roster, just because he reportedly went back on his given word. Can't do it. It is Dangerous. 

good point. we got Hall who next year will be entering into the last year of his contract and GW and Sause the next year. cant show these guys if you hold out you get what you want.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, jgb said:

On the field, the team is above the individual. At the negotiating table, it’s the team versus the individual. So putting the team above oneself in such a context is oxymoronic.

Agree to disagree.

44 minutes ago, jgb said:

Matt Judon (who is in an identical situation with the Falcons) is conducting himself like a professional NFL player & has set an example for Reddick to follow.

Judon is unhappy with the 6.5 million is base salary he's currently playing for, on the last year of his existing Patriots contract, BUT he's there, with the Falcons in camp, practicing with his teammates, not acting like a selfish, greedy P.O.S.

I have no doubt that JD will negotiate with Reddick to guarantee at least a chunk of his salary, but he has to swallow his pride and drag his a$s into camp.

Otherwise, he can go take a seat next to Lev Bell.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

No just listen to his press conference from when he passed his Jets physical. 

Yea, either he was acting or he changed his mind.

he probably changed his mind because I don’t think you would say some of the stuff he said publicly if you were planning to threaten to sit out the season. 

14 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Agree to disagree.

That we do. Extremely so.

11 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Matt Judon (who is in an identical situation with the Falcons) is conducting himself like a professional NFL player & has set an example for Reddick to follow.

Generally professionals know their value and wish to receive it. That is what professional means by the way, you are paid for your services.

11 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I have no doubt that JD will negotiate with Reddick to guarantee at least a chunk of his salary, but he has to swallow his pride and drag his a$s into camp.

Otherwise, he can take a seat next to Lev Bell.

It’s not pride. His pride probably wants to be out there playing. What you are seeing is the operation of something the opposite of pride/emotion — rational economic decision-making.

Again, we are only here because JD fouled up. So I won’t give him credit even if he successfully wipes up his own mess now.

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

Generally professionals know their value and wish to receive it. That is what professional means by the way, you are paid for your services.

You think JD fouled up, I think we all get that, I do as well - to some extent and have stated that on this forum more than once.

That said, I have no doubt that Matt Judon knows, he's worth quite a bit more than what he's being paid right now.

Judon has had 66.5 sacks in 8 seasons, Reddick has 58 sacks in 7 seasons, they are very comparable players in production and pretty close in age (Judon is 2 years older).

Big difference in the way Judon's handling his situation, as opposed to the crap that Reddick is pulling, which is what you (for whatever reason) refuse to acknowledge.

Falcons did the exact same thing that Douglas did- traded for a disgruntled player, who was unhappy with his salary in the last year of his deal, without giving the player a new contract.

Judon showed up to his new team, no muss, no fuss - Reddick didn't.

The ONLY difference I see, is the attitude of the player.

I don't think Reddick is worth any more than Judon is, in fact I could very easily argue, that Judon's team first attitude, makes him more of an asset to a team, then Reddick will ever be.

1 minute ago, ARodJetsFan said:

You think JD fouled up, I think we all get that, I do as well - to some extent.

Ok.

I have no doubt that Matt Judon knows, he's worth quite a bit more than what he's being paid right now.

Judon has had 66.5 sacks in 8 seasons, Reddick has 58 sacks in 7 seasons, they are comparable players in production and pretty close in age (Judon is 2 years older).

Big difference in the way Judon's handling his situation, as opposed to the crap that Reddick is pulling, which is what you refuse to acknowledge.

Of course I acknowledge they are handing it differently.

Falcons did the exact same thing that Douglas did- Judon showed up and Reddick didn't.

It is any less dumb to not wear a seatbelt if you don’t end up in a car wreck? Falcons got lucky, Jets didn’t (do we ever?)

The ONLY difference I see, is the attitude of the player.

Lot more differences than that.

I don't think Reddick is worth any more than Judon is, in fact I could very easily argue, that Judon's team first attitude, makes him more of an asset then Reddick will ever be.

That’s why there are negotiations. 

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

That we do. Extremely so.

It’s not pride. His pride probably wants to be out there playing. What you are seeing is the operation of something the opposite of pride/emotion — rational economic decision-making.

Again, we are only here because JD fouled up. So I won’t give him credit even if he successfully wipes up his own mess now.

How is it just JD fault?  How?  And you can’t be married to ‘26 3rd rounder this much. 

Obviously this is a huge distraction to you. 

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

How is it just JD fault?  How?  And you can’t be married to ‘26 3rd rounder this much. 

Traded for a player in a well-known contract dispute without making an agreement on an extension a condition to the trade.

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Obviously this is a huge distraction to you. 

Distraction from what? Talking about the Jets in a Jets messageboard?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, jgb said:

What you are seeing is the operation of something the opposite of pride/emotion — rational economic decision-making.

Or, the machinations of agents that did not do best by him in his past deals, and are looking to make a grab when they feel there is a crack of opportunity. 

Otherwise, we would have to believe that Reddick is a schizophrenic who said one thing (showing up) and did the exact opposite.

I will put my money on representation. 

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Or, the machinations of agents that did not do best by him in his past deals, and are looking to make a grab when they feel there is a crack of opportunity. 

Otherwise, we would have to believe that Reddick is a schizophrenic who said one thing (showing up) and did the exact opposite.

I will put my money on representation. 

That’s why there are contracts. Because not only schizophrenics misrepresent their position in a negotiation. 

Just now, jgb said:

Traded for a player in a well-known contract dispute without making an agreement on an extension a condition to the trade.

Distraction from what? Talking about the Jets in a Hets messageboard?

How many times does it need to be explained to you?  

BTW. So what?  He didn’t trade a ‘24 or even a ‘25 pick. 

You keep placing this huge blame on a situation that has yet, if ever, will affect the ‘24 season. 

Just now, C Mart said:

How many times does it need to be explained to you?  

Once done well would work.

Just now, C Mart said:

BTW. So what?  He didn’t trade a ‘24 or even a ‘25 pick. 

You keep placing this huge blame on a situation that has yet, if ever, will affect the ‘24 season. 

Arguing it’s not a big deal is not the same as saying it wasn’t a mistake.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

That’s why there are contracts. Because not only schizophrenics misrepresent their position in a negotiation. 

Yikes. Didn’t realize teams were permitted to hold guns to players and agents head. SIGN this!!! 

Carry on. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The prevailing rumor is that Douglas at least implied they’d bump Reddick’s cash this season, and that Douglas was going to do so until Woody Johnson vetoed it. 

Where is this “prevailing rumor?”

• Upvote 1