Seems like it's been a LONG time, since Joe Douglas has spoken to the NY media.

Jets fans - "Our team talks too much. They should keep quiet and show it on the field, where it counts. Win some games, then talk"

Also Jets fans - "Why don't we have more press conferences?"

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Jets fans - "Our team talks too much. They should keep quiet and show it on the field, where it counts. Win some games, then talk"

Also Jets fans - "Why don't we have more press conferences?"

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

The guy who makes personell decisions should be more front facing. He’s a public figure.  It’s accountability. Losing and hiding is always going  to be criticized.

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The guy who makes personell decisions should be more front facing. He’s a public figure.  It’s accountability. Losing and hiding is always going  to be criticized.

No Matt, he is NOT a public figure. Front-facing personnel decisions? Huh? Should we the fans have a vote in terms of what decisions he makes? He is accountable to one person only. The person that pays his salary. 

You truly have some twisted concepts.

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I guess there is really no precedence established for how often an NFL GM addresses the hometown media.

That being said, it seems like it's been at least a few months now, since Joe Douglas has made himself available to the NY media.

Probably nothing, but it sure feels a little odd.

OTA's & minicamp have came & went & with training camp in full-swing now, you'd think he'd make an appearance to address the media on the state of the team, etc.

Feels to me, like he's stuck his head in the sand.

How many other GM's have spoken to the media lately?

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

No Matt, he is NOT a public figure. Front-facing personnel decisions? Huh? Should we the fans have a vote in terms of what decisions he makes? He is accountable to one person only. The person that pays his salary. 

An NFL GM is not a public figure? What?

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

An NFL GM is not a public figure? What?

The Supreme Court has defined public figures as those who hold government office and those who have achieved a role of special prominence in the affairs of society by reason of notoriety of their achievements or vigor and success with which they seek public's attention.

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Supreme Court has defined public figures as those who hold government office and those who have achieved a role of special prominence in the affairs of society by reason of notoriety of their achievements or vigor and success with which they seek public's attention.

Ok? 

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, sec143dmf said:

Tell me who and when.  I highly doubt that.  GM's speak around free agency and draft season for the most part

I already posted on page 1. Beane, Lynch, Daniels, Berry, Schneider Veach, Roseman, Carthon, Khan, Caserio, Ballard, Holmes…have all spoken to the media within the last two weeks

16 hours ago, Ghost420 said:

What about becton and a bunch of other terrible picks.

Let's take a look.

I am cut from the mold that not every 1st round pick will be a home run.  No denying he has fully missed with Becton and Zach.  He has hit on JJ, Sauce, and Garett, AVT (ability not the issue, big year for him staying healthy would determine is status). McDonald and Olu are too soon to evalute but Olu in a real short window looks like a hit and McDonald to a less extent but the jury is still out on him. Becton and Zach are JD's first 2 drafts and during covid. While everyone had to deal with the barriers of covid (no interviews/less of a schedule/more restrictions) de is at a little more of a disadvantage being a first time GM during this unprecedented situation. JD seems to have grown from his first two drafts. 

Mims and Elijah Moore were a total busts, but again during covid. JD recognized his mistakes and these players were off the roster faster than GMs in our past. We even somehow got a 2nd rounder for Moore afeter he showed to be a locker room issue. Tippman looks to be developing nicely but too soon to fully evaluate. Breece Hall is beyond an absolute stud that JD recognized and moved up for. No one saw it coming and many criticized in the moment. Breece Hall is an organization game changer. 

Mid to later round picks that were busts/didnt make it again seem to be early in JD's tenure and during covid; Zuniga, Perine (although still in the league), James Morgan, and Braden Mann. But there have also been some real solid to above average ones like Ashton Davis, Michael Carter (CB), Jamian Sherwood, Johanthan Marshall, Ruckert, Carter Warren, Zaire Barnes, Kuntz and Jarrick Bernad Converse having a good camps

But then there are the under the radar unrestricted FA signings and/or waver wire moves like Huff,  JFM, Tony Adams, Quincey Williams, Kenny Yaboa, Irv Charles, Jason Brownlee and Xavier Gibson 

A Jets GM having the trust from a player like Aaron Rodgers has never even come close in my lifetime, then somehome pulling off a trade to get him after the laughing stock that Zach/Jets became nationally is pretty impressive 

I stated early in this thread that JD is the best GM I have seen in my lifetime and I go back to Richard Todd/Ken O'Brien days. 

Yes, the Jets have to win, it seems like we are real close because the GM has had way more hits than misses 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Andy Reid is the de facto GM in KC anyways. 

I'm gunna be honest, I thought he was the GM.  Was surprised to see that he wasnt and then when I googled who it was, I had never heard his name nor seen his face before. 

Not sure what that says about his thread but I got a feeling it probably means what we already know; if you dont have a HOF QB and a HOF HC, it doesnt matter who your GM is and how often you hear or see them.  If there was a correlation, the Cowboys would have won all the Super Bowls.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Tannenbaum had this team in two afc championships.

Joe hasn’t had a winning season yet.

Results matter, yes this is a good team on paper but let’s see it translates to wins and then we can have  the “best Gm” discussion. 

Joe D hasn't had a winning season yet tops everything. If there was ever an arguement that the QB is an important position for success the Zach Wilson era covers that. The unlikely scenerio that after Zach, JD could convince a player of Aaron Rdgers status to come play for us and have the draft capital/cap room to do so speaks volume. I think we have a good GM that just hasnt won yet. 

Tannenbaum was a better accountant than player evaluater and could argue that Parcells was the HC/GM. Seemed like he was more exposed as a GM who's stratergy was not sustainable more so under Rex.

I think we are real close to winning.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Woody Johnson. Just like you have told us.

The root cause of all of this orginazation's flaws.

The day that WoodPecker (or anyone in his family) no longer own this team, will be one of the happiest days of my life.

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Confused Joe Biden GIF by CBS News

I mean a GM of an NfL franchise in New York City not being a public figure is certainly a take. I suppose Brian Cashman isn’t either? What are we talking about lol

15 hours ago, Matt39 said:

GM’s speaking within the  last two weeks after a quick search. Will stop at 3 for now.

32 teams and you show us 3 GMs speaking one time?  Once, that’s all JD needs to make you happy?  These GMs speaking once means they speak more often than JD over the course of a full season how exactly?  And is there a correlation to the type of roster etc and the number of times they speak? 
What other claims can you make without a stitch of proof, lol

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

32 teams and you show us 3 GMs speaking one time?  That means they speak more often than JD how exactly?  
What other claims can you make without a stitch of proof, lol

It takes 5 seconds to google an nfl team and the first video that typically pops up is their GM talking at camp

I mean a GM of an NfL franchise in New York City not being a public figure is certainly a take. I suppose Brian Cashman isn’t either? What are we talking about lol

I think we're talking about how a back office employee for a privately owned corporation isnt a "public figure"....like 100% guaranteed, less than 2% of the population knows who Joe Douglas is, which by definition, does not make him a "public figure".  He didnt get his position from fame and popularity, you had no clue who he was before he accepted this position.

If we had a little contest of how many GM's in the NFL you could name, how many do you think you'd get right?

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

The fact that NFL GM's are mandated by the NFL's media access policy, to speak to the media at least twice a year, doesn't support that statement.

I'll take it a step further and say that any company/organizational executive that is mandated, or forced to speak to the media - whether it be by the organization that employs them, or some kind of occupational oversight (in this case the NFL) is absolutely a public figure on some level, otherwise they would not be required to do so.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JiFtheOracle said:

I think we're talking about how a back office employee for a privately owned corporation isnt a "public figure"....like 100% guaranteed, less than 2% of the population knows who Joe Douglas is, which by definition, does not make him a "public figure".  He didnt get his position from fame and popularity, you had no clue who he was before he accepted this position.

If we had a little contest of how many GM's in the NFL you could name, how many do you think you'd get right?

At least half 

It takes 5 seconds to google an nfl team and the first video that typically pops up is their GM talking at camp

I just googled, "Los Angles Chargers" the first video that came up, was Harbaugh, followed by, Justin Herbert.