Aaron Rodgers Preseason Play?

Aaron Rodgers Preseason  

80 members have voted

1. 1. SHOULD Aaron Rodgers Play in PS Game 3?

• No, full bubble wrap mode.
    • Yes, but only a drive or 2.
    • Yes, play him into the 3rd quarter as per traditional 3rd PS game.
  2. 2. WILL Aaron Rodgers Play in PS Game 3?

• No, full bubble wrap mode.
    • Yes, but only a drive or 2.
    • Yes, into the 3rd quarter as per traditional 3rd PS game.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/23/2024 at 09:41 PM

Just now, jgb said:

Yes I’m not taking the position that Rodgers shouldn’t play, just saying there is a really good reason (self preservation) at play here for the men who have to make the decision.

It’s may be good for their self preservation in the short term, but let’s just hope it’s not bad for their football team a month from now. 

If they get off to a slow start, those seats will suddenly feel like the surface of Venus. 

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

there was video of them practicing cut blocks day one of training camp this year

I would imagine cut blocks are at least a small part of every offense. They have been around forever 

Just now, slimjasi said:

It’s may be good for their self preservation in the short term, but let’s just hope it’s not bad for their football team a month from now. 

If they get off to a slow start, those seats will suddenly feel like the surface of Venus. 

Such is the problem of having your HC and GM on a one year deal. Causes all sorts of conflicts between the present versus the future, the short term survival versus the long term success, etc.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I mean it’s like everyone is forgetting Rodgers looked completely out of sync and disjointed during those 4 snaps he had last year. 

I thought he looked nervous/tight and he admitted to be super nervous in our preseason game last year against Giants. That amount of hype can affect anyone. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

You are providing a good reason why Saleh (and Douglas) might be afraid to play Rodgers in the preseason. While I agree with you (although I’d add that Woody is likely involved in the decision, anyway), it doesn’t change the fact that the whole propose of preseason is to prepare for the regular season. 

it seems like a vital part of preparing for the regular season is getting the guys on your team who will actually play in the regular season some game experience before the bullets start flying. 

Coaches don’t care for the preseason. The players hate it. Nowadays its purpose is an extra payday or two for the owners. They get more from inter-squad scrimmages with less risk. Look around the league, lots of starters see one series or less of preseason time every year. I think their biggest value is in working out new rules, and how the refs plan to apply them. 

The Jets have Smith on a pitch count, Moses just coming back from injury, Mike Williams probably not ready for preseason action, why would you wanna throw Rodgers back there for a couple series? How much more is being gained than what they get from joint practices? 

The NFL wants to get to 18 games. If I’m representing the players, I ask for the abolition of the preseason in return. No one will miss it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, slats said:

Coaches don’t care for the preseason. The players hate it. Nowadays its purpose is an extra payday or two for the owners. They get more from inter-squad scrimmages with less risk. Look around the league, lots of starters see one series or less of preseason time every year. I think their biggest value is in working out new rules, and how the refs plan to apply them. 

The Jets have Smith on a pitch count, Moses just coming back from injury, Mike Williams probably not ready for preseason action, why would you wanna throw Rodgers back there for a couple series? How much more is being gained than what they get from joint practices? 

The NFL wants to get to 18 games. If I’m representing the players, I ask for the abolition of the preseason in return. No one will miss it. 

As I already alluded to in my other post, the preseason will be gone soon enough - no arguments there. 

but in the meantime, as others in this thread have pointed out, plenty of coaches are playing their starters minutes in these games, including some of the most successful and high profile coaches in the league. 

The scrimmages are great - but for me, it’s not scrimmages OR preseason action, it’s scrimmages AND preseason action:  I just think more game reps are better than fewer game reps, especially for a QB coming off a long vacation. 

On 8/16/2024 at 1:29 PM, Warfish said:

He’s not subject to possible injury in practice or the joint practices?

Well given he can’t be hit or sacked in his red jersey would be tough.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Didn’t this team get off to good starts each of the last 2 seasons?

And that’s with a blockhead at QB not an all time candidate 

43 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

As I already alluded to in my other post, the preseason will be gone soon enough - no arguments there. 

but in the meantime, as others in this thread have pointed out, plenty of coaches are playing their starters minutes in these games, including some of the most successful and high profile coaches in the league. 

The scrimmages are great - but for me, it’s not scrimmages OR preseason action, it’s scrimmages AND preseason action:  I just think more game reps are better than fewer game reps, especially for a QB coming off a long vacation. 

It’s a long season. The whole league is gonna look sloppy for about a month. They always do. A couple series in the preseason isn’t going to make a difference one way or the other. You could make a case for a lot of situations where playing the starters makes sense, but I don’t think it does -this year- for the Jets. They know the systems, and the new starters who they’d want to give work to probably wouldn’t play in the preseason whether Rodgers did or not. The Bills are trying to ween themselves off of throwing to Diggs every other play, I understand what they’re up to. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Didn’t this team get off to good starts each of the last 2 seasons?

And that’s with a blockhead at QB not an all time candidate 

Yes, and they collapsed 

I still want to start fast

what we had the last two years wasn’t sustainable because of the bad QB play and injuries. This year can be different with Rodgers.

We have a chance to win 4 out of our first 5 games and I want to take full advantage 

37 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yes, and they collapsed 

I still want to start fast

what we had the last two years wasn’t sustainable because of the bad QB play and injuries. This year can be different with Rodgers.

We have a chance to win 4 out of our first 5 games and I want to take full advantage 

What does that have to with?  That was my point, we sank because of the QB and injuries.  But the argument was that we needed to play starters in order to get off to a fast start and the FO needed it while the last couple of seasons don’t prove that out. 

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What does that have to with?  That was my point, we sank because of the QB and injuries.  But the argument was that we needed to play starters in order to get off to a fast start and the FO needed it while the last couple of seasons don’t prove that out. 

No, the argument is that we want to do everything we can to maximize our chances of playing well, and yes, starting fast. Nothing is guaranteed.  

what happened last year or the year before is irrelevant. 

58 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Why is Patrick Mahomes playing right now?

He played 1 Q, what 4 series?  
Goff played 0.  
Different CSs, different opinions.  
Not one determined by fans

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Tyron Smith is 33 not 40. He can handle preseason.

His age isn't his issue.  He's just always hurt.  

Let's keep this whole team healthy.  I honestly think a healthy Jets team beat the 9'ers week 1.

I just don't think they can stay that way.

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He played 1 Q, what 4 series?  
Goff played 0.  
Different CSs, different opinions.  
Not one determined by fans

Well, the average NFL team averages between 11 and 12 possessions a game. So, 4 possessions is well over a quarter, on average. That would satisfy me. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

No, the argument is that we want to do everything we can to maximize our chances of playing well, and yes, starting fast. Nothing is guaranteed.  

what happened last year or the year before is irrelevant. 

No, my argument is proven out.  Playing starters doesn’t guarantee a fast start.  And more to the point, what fans think won’t change that.  
‘The last couple of seasons prove it out

30 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Well, the average NFL team averages between 11 and 12 possessions a game. So, 4 possessions is well over a quarter, on average. That would satisfy me. 

No one on the Jets cares what a fan would like to see in a preseason game.  
The preseason is debated and decided on by the coaches and the players.  

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What the hell are you rambling about? Why do you think anyone thinks anything discussed here is taken into account by the Jets decision makers. Are you OK?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And more to the point, what fans think won’t change that.  
‘The last couple of seasons prove it out

So I guess fans expressing opinions on JetNation is kinda pointless then, huh? 

GREAT argument! 

37 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You are paid by the Jets to say this. It’s getting silly.