Predicted 53 man roster after Preseason Game #2

6 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Release JBC?  Why?  He's has been great in coverage in both TC and preseason.  There's no way that he should be released.  You have it totally backwards.  Charles has high potential as what?  It certainly isn't as a WR.  He has stone hands.  I never want to see him on the field at WR again.  Converse was injured last year, and has been making great strides this season.  He has a MUCH higher ceiling than Charles.  I disagree that he will never be good enough to be a starter.  I can easily see him or Stiggers being CB #2 when Reed is gone.

So, for me it comes down to a numbers game.  Sauce and DJ Reed are your starters.  Echols and Michael Carter aren't going anywhere.  And you have Stiggers as your #5 lock to make the team at cornerback.  You have 4 safeties that I believe are staying.  JBC is a good player, no doubt.  Will the Jets keep 10 DB's?  Or will they keep 9.  If they keep 9, then I see JBC hopefully going to the practice squad.  If they keep 10, then JBC makes the team. The NFL average is 5.7 cb's, and 4.5 safeties, which is a NFL average of 10 for the backfield.  Will the Jets be the average?  And if there is 9, and the Jets keep 5 cb's, then who else would you cut tp keep JBC?

Irv Charles is a player that Robert Saleh referred to as "an absolute wolf" on special teams.  With special teams being even more important this year, and JBC as your #6 Cornerback, who to keep?  You say JBC.  I say Irv Charles.  We will see in a week!  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Alka said:

So, for me it comes down to a numbers game.  Sauce and DJ Reed are your starters.  Echols and Michael Carter aren't going anywhere.  And you have Stiggers as your #5 lock to make the team at cornerback.  You have 4 safeties that I believe are staying.  JBC is a good player, no doubt.  Will the Jets keep 10 DB's?  Or will they keep 9.  If they keep 9, then I see JBC hopefully going to the practice squad.  If they keep 10, then JBC makes the team. The NFL average is 5.7 cb's, and 4.5 safeties, which is a NFL average of 10 for the backfield.  Will the Jets be the average?  And if there is 9, and the Jets keep 5 cb's, then who else would you cut tp keep JBC?

Irv Charles is a player that Robert Saleh referred to as "an absolute wolf" on special teams.  With special teams being even more important this year, and JBC as your #6 Cornerback, who to keep?  You say JBC.  I say Irv Charles.  We will see in a week!  

I kind of feel similar.  I don't think I have been particularly impressed with JBC but people keep talking him up.  He seems like they guy they try to pick on.  I don't think Echols is quite a lock.  He has had some issues and isn't on the same level as Carter to me.  I think Stiggers should be ahead of JBC for sure and possibly Echols too.  I think JBC is basically fighting guys like Oliver for his spot.

I think Charles is taking Hardee's slot and despite some people complaining, I don't see any reason why he wouldn't.  OTOH, he is basically a pure special teamer that they have stashed previously, so teams might not be that hyped to poach him since he is an older dude that won't add anything on O.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, mrcoops said:

The Winstead one was bad - I thought Harrell's one was a tougher catch, though, as the DB was in front of him and it looked like he tipped the ball.

I think Harrell is worth keeping around on the PS to see if he can be polished - his speed is world-class.

For the couple of plays (😁) that I watched Harrell, I liked his moves to juke the DB. He was wide open on the INT. I do hope he gets signed to the PS. I believe there is potential w/ him. (I'd work him out at the catching machine often, to improve his hands!)

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, jetfan40yrs said:

For the couple of plays (😁) that I watched Harrell, I liked his moves to juke the DB. He was wide open on the INT. I do hope he gets signed to the PS. I believe there is potential w/ him. (I'd work him out at the catching machine often, to improve his hands!)

I kind of want to see Harrell on the practice squad too.  The guy has been in Louisville, Alabama and Miami without making a dent.  I don't really think the Juggs machine is going to cut it.  Stranger things have happened, but I'm not holding my breath. 

Some people will talk up a guy like Brandon Smith for making some catches in the preseason games.  Think is, Smith came out in 2021 and has been with the Cowboys, Cardinals, XFL and UFL.  He's a big dude and he has made some plays.  Looking at what they've done so far, I'd probably prefer Harrell.  I have not seen Smith get a single ball that was part of the normal progression.  His catches all seem to be after the play breaks down when it gets tossed up.  Credit to him for making the plays, but he's a slower dude and the lack of separation has been concerning.  I wonder if @HawkeyeJet has an opinion on him.  He must, but I haven't seen it.  Harrell at least got open enough to be part of the actual play.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Alka said:

With the new KO rules, I have seen several posters here and elsewhere posit that gunners will be less important, and that perhaps teams will keep more LBs to use on kick coverage.  I have also seen people say that Echols and Stiggers have played as gunners this year and looked good doing it.  If they can be as good as Charles as gunners, then there's really no point in keeping him, because he offers nothing on offense, just like the guy he replaced (Justin Hardee) offered nothing on D.  In my prediction for the final 53, I have the Jets keeping Charles and JBC, and keeping 10 DBs. I see no reason why they wouldn't be able to keep 10 DBs.  If both the offense and defense has 25 players and STs has 3, then on D, they can keep 10 DL, 5 LBs, and 10 DBs (6 CBs and 4 Safeties).  If the Jets want to keep 26 offensive players and only 24 defensive players, then they could go with 4 LBs instead of 5 and still keep 10 DBs.

My prediction for the final 53 may be off, but I don't believe that JBC would make it through waivers.  He has been too good in preseason and practice, and he definitely has potential to be a starter imo.  Reed will probably be gone after this season, and Echols could be too.  With the Jets having around 30 FAs, with a number of them starters and key backups, and needing to extend MC II, Sauce, G. Wilson, JJ, and Breece, they may not have money to re-sign Echols, and he has had some off-field issues, as well that could make the Jets reluctant to re-sign him.  Then the Jets would be down 2 CBs, and Stiggers and JBC become the next two CBs in line to compete for the #2 CB spot and the top backup spot.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, varjet said:

Put JBC on injured reserve for year and let him replace Echols/Reed next year. 

I think he needs to be on the roster, to get more experience if we're hoping he might compete to start next season.

With Reed, Carter and Echols eligible for free agency after this season, we need to get JBC, Stiggers, etc as much practice time and situational playing time as possible this year.

6 hours ago, JKlecko said:

With the new KO rules, I have seen several posters here and elsewhere posit that gunners will be less important, and that perhaps teams will keep more LBs to use on kick coverage.  I have also seen people say that Echols and Stiggers have played as gunners this year and looked good doing it.  If they can be as good as Charles as gunners, then there's really no point in keeping him, because he offers nothing on offense, just like the guy he replaced (Justin Hardee) offered nothing on D.  In my prediction for the final 53, I have the Jets keeping Charles and JBC, and keeping 10 DBs. I see no reason why they wouldn't be able to keep 10 DBs.  If both the offense and defense has 25 players and STs has 3, then on D, they can keep 10 DL, 5 LBs, and 10 DBs (6 CBs and 4 Safeties).  If the Jets want to keep 26 offensive players and only 24 defensive players, then they could go with 4 LBs instead of 5 and still keep 10 DBs.

My prediction for the final 53 may be off, but I don't believe that JBC would make it through waivers.  He has been too good in preseason and practice, and he definitely has potential to be a starter imo.  Reed will probably be gone after this season, and Echols could be too.  With the Jets having around 30 FAs, with a number of them starters and key backups, and needing to extend MC II, Sauce, G. Wilson, JJ, and Breece, they may not have money to re-sign Echols, and he has had some off-field issues, as well that could make the Jets reluctant to re-sign him.  Then the Jets would be down 2 CBs, and Stiggers and JBC become the next two CBs in line to compete for the #2 CB spot and the top backup spot.

Some difficult decisions for the final 53 for sure.  There will be at least a couple of players that the Jets release that we will regret having to let go. On offense, I see theJets keeping 2 QB's, 9 offensive linemen, 4 running backs, 3 tight ends,  6 wide receivers (Wilson, Gibson, Lazard, Mike Williams, Malachi Corley, Irvin Charles. That makes 24.  Jason Brownlee???.  On defense, I see them carrying 5 linebackers (Mosely, Sherwood, Q Williams, Barnes?, Eguavon?, Suratt?.)  That would be 6.  Who to cut here.  They love Suratt on special teams.  We will soon find out!!!

• Upvote 1

On 8/18/2024 at 10:08 AM, Sarge4Tide said:

52 Sam Eguavoen LB 6-0 236 Texas Tech  << Has impressed me this preseason

On 8/18/2024 at 10:08 AM, Sarge4Tide said:
  • 55 Chazz Surratt LB 6-2 233 North Carolina  << Very Solid backup LB
  •  

I think this is an interesting one and probably the only one I disagree w/ at this point.  Saleh loves Chazz and he's played very well when given the opportunity, IMO he's out played Eguavoen.  He played 70% of the snaps w/ the ST's last season. Does Eguavoen contribute on specials?  Could be the difference in the roster spot.

31 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

I think this is an interesting one and probably the only one I disagree w/ at this point.  Saleh loves Chazz and he's played very well when given the opportunity, IMO he's out played Eguavoen.  He played 70% of the snaps w/ the ST's last season. Does Eguavoen contribute on specials?  Could be the difference in the roster spot.

I think the Jets really like both of these guys, but there will likely only be a spot for one of them on the 53.

Agree that it will probably be Surratt.  He's not necessarily better than Eguavoen, but he's younger and with higher upside. He would also be subject to waivers at cuts, which Eguavoen wouldn't be.  The Jets know they can keep Surratt on the 53, release Eguavoen without losing him on waivers, then bring him back to the PS the following day.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Claymation said:

I've said this before, but there were times at LSU where JBC looked like a 1st round draft pick.  Then he got nicked up and fell down draft boards.  He didn't do much last year when he got in, but he has looked really good this preseason - you can obviously see he has NFL length and ball skills.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I think the Jets really like both of these guys, but there will likely only be a spot for one of them on the 53.

Agree that it will probably be Surratt.  He's not necessarily better than Eguavoen, but he's younger and with higher upside. He would also be subject to waivers at cuts, which Eguavoen wouldn't be.  The Jets know they can keep Surratt on the 53, release Eguavoen without losing him on waivers, then bring him back to the PS the following day.

yeah agreed....i'd love to see the snap counts on the preseason to see who's been getting ST's reps but I cant find that anywhere

• Upvote 1

Disagree with some of these. 

1. I don't think Izzy makes the roster. The writing has been on the wall all offseason and he has not done enough in preseason so far to make it. Jets carry 3 RBs.

2. Malik Taylor? He is out for the season. Even if he wasn't, I don't think he makes it over Irv Charles. Charles can def. contribute on specials. Even with the new rule change. I think he takes the spot of Malik. 

3. I don't think Codrington has shown enough to make the team. Yes, he had some really nice returns but that's nowhere near enough to get you a spot at the CB position. Not on this roster. The Jets have Davis, Corley and Gipson who can all handle returns and are locks to make the roster.   

*I think the extra spot on offense is taken by Max Mitchell (with Martinez as a wildcard #3 QB) and the extra spot on defense is taken by Surratt (Jets carry 6 corners).

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Alka said:

Some difficult decisions for the final 53 for sure.  There will be at least a couple of players that the Jets release that we will regret having to let go. On offense, I see theJets keeping 2 QB's, 9 offensive linemen, 4 running backs, 3 tight ends,  6 wide receivers (Wilson, Gibson, Lazard, Mike Williams, Malachi Corley, Irvin Charles. That makes 24.  Jason Brownlee???.  On defense, I see them carrying 5 linebackers (Mosely, Sherwood, Q Williams, Barnes?, Eguavon?, Suratt?.)  That would be 6.  Who to cut here.  They love Suratt on special teams.  We will soon find out!!!

Thanks.  I'm enjoying the discussion. Why only keep 9 OL?  Do you think there isn't another OL who's good enough to keep?  Are you not worried about injuries. As you know, the Jets' OL has been decimated by injuries for the last 3-5 seasons.  Why should this year be any different, especially when they have T. Smith and M. Moses, who are both older and more injury prone, and AVT, who hasn't been able to stay healthy since his rookie season?  The only reason I could see them not keeping 10 is because they don't think they have another OL who's worthy of a roster spot, but that hasn't stopped them in the past.

There's 7 locks for the roster on the OL: Smith, Simpson, Tippman, AVT, Moses,  Fashanu and Schweitzer.  At a minimum, then need to keep 2 more IOL, and may want to keep 3.  Alternatively, they may want to keep 1 more IOL and both Warren and Mitchell, with Mitchell being able to player either at RT or RG.  I think Newman is making the team.  Not only has he been the 5th-rated best OL in preseason action, but he has played LG, C, and RG.  Schweitzer hasn't had that much experience at C, and isn't as good at C as he is at RG, so unless there's a camp cut C who is clearly better than Newman, I think he's pretty much a lock as well.  By keeping Newman, they could keep both Warren and Mitchell, which I think they want to do.

They are definitely going to lose some players that they don't want to lose.  It's inevitable, unless they can stash them all on IR.  They could keep some players that they would lose via waivers by doing what they did last year, waiving both Morstead and Zuerlein, and keeping two young players they really like, then the next day bringing both Morstead and Zuerlein back, and placing the young players on IR.

How long has it been since the Jets had such a good roster that they were going to lose good young players with potential?  Usually they've been searching camp cuts to upgrade their roster and stealing other team's cast offs.

20 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I kind of want to see Harrell on the practice squad too.  The guy has been in Louisville, Alabama and Miami without making a dent.  I don't really think the Juggs machine is going to cut it.  Stranger things have happened, but I'm not holding my breath. 

Some people will talk up a guy like Brandon Smith for making some catches in the preseason games.  Think is, Smith came out in 2021 and has been with the Cowboys, Cardinals, XFL and UFL.  He's a big dude and he has made some plays.  Looking at what they've done so far, I'd probably prefer Harrell.  I have not seen Smith get a single ball that was part of the normal progression.  His catches all seem to be after the play breaks down when it gets tossed up.  Credit to him for making the plays, but he's a slower dude and the lack of separation has been concerning.  I wonder if @HawkeyeJet has an opinion on him.  He must, but I haven't seen it.  Harrell at least got open enough to be part of the actual play.

Smith is one of my favorite Hawkeyes of the last 10 years or so.  Obviously in Iowa’s offense, receiver production is paltry.  That said, Smith was about as clutch as they come.    He was very physical, as one might imagine with his size.  To your point, he’s not fast though.  Nor was he particularly polished as a route runner.  You could say that about any Iowa WR unfortunately.  They just have never been a well coached position under KF. 

Smith has pretty good hands and was great at 50/50 balls in college.  Which those opportunities were plentiful at Iowa due to poor scheme and poor route running and speed questions.  But when Iowa needed a big play, the ball usually found him and he usually came through.  

I think his skill set is similar to Mike Williams, except on the much lower end of that spectrum.  I had assumed that is why they signed him.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Smith is one of my favorite Hawkeyes of the last 10 years or so.  Obviously in Iowa’s offense, receiver production is paltry.  That said, Smith was about as clutch as they come.    He was very physical, as one might imagine with his size.  To your point, he’s not fast though.  Nor was he particularly polished as a route runner.  You could say that about any Iowa WR unfortunately.  They just have never been a well coached position under KF. 

Smith has pretty good hands and was great at 50/50 balls in college.  Which those opportunities were plentiful at Iowa due to poor scheme and poor route running and speed questions.  But when Iowa needed a big play, the ball usually found him and he usually came through.  

I think his skill set is similar to Mike Williams, except on the much lower end of that spectrum.  I had assumed that is why they signed him.

I didn't know anything about Smith before the Jets signed him, but I have been impressed by him the last 2 weeks.

He's big, tough and catches everything. I've seen more from him in 2 weeks than I have seen from Brownlee in 2 preseasons.

If I was making the call, Smith would be in contention for the last WR spot on the 53 and would be a cert for the PS.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, varjet said:

Put JBC on injured reserve for year and let him replace Echols/Reed next year. 

No.  Sorry, but that's dumb.  He was on IR all of last year.  Great way to waste the first two years of a good player's career, and not playing for 2 years could ruin his career.  Besides the Jets might wind up using or needing him this year.

4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Thanks.  This is great.  I particularly like it since it coincides perfectly with what I thought about him.

22 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Thanks.  I'm enjoying the discussion. Why only keep 9 OL?  Do you think there isn't another OL who's good enough to keep?  Are you not worried about injuries. As you know, the Jets' OL has been decimated by injuries for the last 3-5 seasons.  Why should this year be any different, especially when they have T. Smith and M. Moses, who are both older and more injury prone, and AVT, who hasn't been able to stay healthy since his rookie season?  The only reason I could see them not keeping 10 is because they don't think they have another OL who's worthy of a roster spot, but that hasn't stopped them in the past.

This is a subject that I have paid a lot of attention to for at least the last decade, if not more.  

A rhetorical question:  "When was the last time the Jets went into the opening day of the season with 10 offensive linemen?  The answer is: "Never"!!  Now, last year, on August 29th, the Jets listed 10 on the O line, but Warren started the season on IR, which allowed them to keep 10, but only 9 were on the opening 53.  So, technically, they had 9 for opening day.  Go back each and every year before 2023, and there is no year (as far as I know) that carried 10 offensive linemen.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Alka said:

This is a subject that I have paid a lot of attention to for at least the last decade, if not more.  

A rhetorical question:  "When was the last time the Jets went into the opening day of the season with 10 offensive linemen?  The answer is: "Never"!!  Now, last year, on August 29th, the Jets listed 10 on the O line, but Warren started the season on IR, which allowed them to keep 10, but only 9 were on the opening 53.  So, technically, they had 9 for opening day.  Go back each and every year before 2023, and there is no year (as far as I know) that carried 10 offensive linemen.

Interesting. I'll take your word for it. I remember people discussing the roster during TC each of the last 3 seasons or so and everyone always spoke about having 10 OL. but maybe that was a result of all the injuries the Jets have had on the OL and people saying the Jets should keep 10.  Now that you mention it, I think I do remember that the Jets only kept 9 OL.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Interesting. I'll take your word for it. I remember people discussing the roster during TC each of the last 3 seasons or so and everyone always spoke about having 10 OL. but maybe that was a result of all the injuries the Jets have had on the OL and people saying the Jets should keep 10.  Now that you mention it, I think I do remember that the Jets only kept 9 OL.

I always have wanted the Jets to keep 10 O linemen, but they never do.  When you really think about it, the 10th O lineman is a backup.  Definitely not a starter.  What team will grab the 10th O lineman from the Jets to put on their team as a backup?  Every team got O linemen players that are backups that they feel are players they want to keep.  Who know?  

• Upvote 2

On 8/18/2024 at 10:26 AM, Sarge4Tide said:

I can’t see keeping him to be honest. I’d keep McGregor over him. He’s on the bubble and could still make it.  We will watch the Watts, McGregor, McKinley battle very closely vs the Giants 

Looks like he is gonna make it

• Upvote 1