Trade Reddick Tonight

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

A discussion they should’ve had before the trade. If he insisted on multi year deal…. You don’t trade. This isn’t rocket surgery.  

Apparently isn't "brain science" either.  Go figure.

For some reason this meme comes to mind.

image.jpeg.338e9c7fffac627a2aa3c833332750fc.jpeg

9 hours ago, jgb said:

A discussion they should’ve had before the trade. If he insisted on multi year deal…. You don’t trade. This isn’t rocket surgery.  

I’m guessing maybe they did have that discussion and each side left the table with different impressions:  Reddick’s camp thinking an extension would be coming but not until later in the summer once some money was moved around.  The Jets thinking Reddick would be willing to play on his 1-year deal as long as an extension was explored at some point during the course of the season.  

I highly doubt Reddick’s camp would have been willing to plant their feet and say at the time that an extension was necessary to make the deal happen.  A firm stance at that time would have kept any team from dealing for him and he’d still be an Eagle.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I’m guessing maybe they did have that discussion and each side left the table with different impressions:  Reddick’s camp thinking an extension would be coming but not until later in the summer once some money was moved around.  The Jets thinking Reddick would be willing to play on his 1-year deal as long as an extension was explored at some point during the course of the season.  

I highly doubt Reddick’s camp would have been willing to plant their feet and say at the time that an extension was necessary to make the deal happen.  A firm stance at that time would have kept any team from dealing for him and he’d still be an Eagle.  

My best guess, as well. 

It’s not unheard of for two sides to remember things differently, especially when money is involved. 

either way, Reddick’s holdout makes no sense. Either “hold in” or just show up and ball. Accruing millions of dollars in fines is silly. I suppose he’s waiting for a big injury or maybe for some contender to think they are a pass rusher away from making a run at the trade deadline. That’s a pretty big gamble. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This version does not jive with the jets openly willing to discuss a deal but with the prideful and non-value added requirement Reddick be physically present to hold talks. Now it’s become a wiener measuring contest which is definitionally suboptimal negotiation strategy. 

If jets have been willing to extend him all this time, should’ve been a condition of the trade. Pretty basic NFL GM stuff.

22 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It’s not unheard of for two sides to remember things differently, especially when money is involved.. 

If only there was some mechanism whereby two parties memorialize their joint understanding so as to avoid different interpretations at a later date.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, EM31 said:

Apparently isn't "brain science" either.  Go figure.

For some reason this meme comes to mind.

image.jpeg.338e9c7fffac627a2aa3c833332750fc.jpeg

funny i have the same exact meme with the same sign and the guy looks the same but he is dressed differently and is in a different area. Me thinks this is phoney

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

maybe his agent said something like "just go to the jets.....its nearby, and they just lost 2 of their pass rushers. They will need you, AND lets face it, they are the jets and they will get suckered by us" 

well too bad

• More Ugh 1

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

If only there was some mechanism whereby two parties memorialize their joint understanding so as to avoid different interpretations at a later date.

Of course 

I’m just saying, what likely happened between the jets and Reddick is not unheard of

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

funny i have the same exact meme with the same sign and the guy looks the same but he is dressed differently and is in a different area. Me thinks this is phoney

Maybe so.  I thought this was the original that went viral and spawned many imitations but regardless it captures the essence of what I was trying to convey.

Elvis looks a bit like Sean Penn

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Of course 

I’m just saying, what likely happened between the jets and Reddick is not unheard of

Yeah fair. Reddick probably did either misrepresent his position or changed his mind after the fact. But my point is that JD is a big boy and could’ve and should’ve done more to protect the team’s interest.

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

If only people who sign such a memorialization could be expected to stick to their commitments eh?

1 minute ago, EM31 said:

If only people who sign such a memorialization could be expected to stick to their commitments eh?

If you find an example of a player who holds out from a extension the same season he signed it, I’d be mighty impressed 

13 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

maybe his agent said something like "just go to the jets.....its nearby, and they just lost 2 of their pass rushers. They will need you, AND lets face it, they are the jets and they will get suckered by us" 

well too bad

I’d definitely rather take my chances with JD than Howie Roseman. 

It's called an audio recorder, you record the meeting and then have it transcribed on paper as "meeting minutes".

Not exactly a new concept and a very common business practice.

Just now, EM31 said:

Ah, so contractual agreements are only binding during the first season that they are memorialized even if the agreement specifies a duration of say three years?

Perhaps I’m not making the point artfully enough. Reddick had been in a hold out for months with the Birds. That was the status of the player we were acquiring. If JD believed he was suddenly cool with that contract after a trade, well, pretty naive for an NFL GM, as the results have now convincingly demonstrated.

20 minutes ago, jgb said:

This version does not jive with the jets openly willing to discuss a deal but with the prideful and non-value added requirement Reddick be physically present to hold talks. Now it’s become a wiener measuring contest which is definitionally suboptimal negotiation strategy. 

If jets have been willing to extend him all this time, should’ve been a condition of the trade. Pretty basic NFL GM stuff.

I suspect the Jets have very little interest in actually giving him an extension. Too many young guns to pay over the next few years. 

Based on what Douglas said right after he was traded here combined with how they have acted since the trade tells me that the Jets view him more as a luxury than a need. I wouldn’t expect the Jets to budge, barring an injury to Jermaine Johnson or Will MacDonald  

54 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

My best guess, as well. 

It’s not unheard of for two sides to remember things differently, especially when money is involved. 

either way, Reddick’s holdout makes no sense. Either “hold in” or just show up and ball. Accruing millions of dollars in fines is silly. I suppose he’s waiting for a big injury or maybe for some contender to think they are a pass rusher away from making a run at the trade deadline. That’s a pretty big gamble. 

Sitting out in order to skip camp and preseason made sense.  Sitting out this long and risking game checks + opportunities at justifying an extension?  No sense whatsoever.  

Both sides come out of this looking dumb but Reddick's camp is DEFINITELY the dumber one, lol.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, ARodJetsFan said:

It's called an audio recorder, you record the meeting and then have it transcribed to paper as "meeting minutes".

Not exactly a new concept.

I thought he was referring to a contract as being the memorialization of an agreement between two parties.  There are plenty of reasons why no GM or no agent would ever consent to the recording of negotiations as they take place, no matter how scumbaggish either side might think that the other is.  A memorandum of understanding signed by both parties at the conclusion of negotiations is a possibility but I have never heard of such a thing in this context or business.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sitting out in order to skip camp and preseason made sense.  Sitting out this long and risking game checks + opportunities at justifying an extension?  No sense whatsoever.  

Both sides come out of this looking dumb but Reddick's camp is DEFINITELY the dumber one, lol.

Definitely don’t understand why he isn’t holding in. That is the part that’s really befuddling to me. It seems personal, like he believes he was lied to or something.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, EM31 said:

I thought he was referring to a contract as being the memorialization of an agreement between two parties.  There are plenty of reasons why no GM or no agent would ever consent to the recording of negotiations as they take place, no matter how scumbaggish either side might think that the other is.  A memorandum of understanding signed by both parties at the conclusion of negotiations is a possibility but I have never heard of such a thing in this context or business.

Very possible and I just missed the sarcasm, you get numb to it after a while.

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I suspect the Jets have very little interest in actually giving him an extension. Too many young guns to pay over the next few years. 

Based on what Douglas said right after he was traded here combined with how they have acted since the trade tells me that the Jets view him more as a luxury than a need. I wouldn’t expect the Jets to budge, barring an injury to Jermaine Johnson or Will MacDonald  

That’s probably right but a 3rd is a lot to pay for a player you plan to keep on ice unless there is a need. Reddick’s demands at that point would be outrageous.

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Perhaps I’m not making the point artfully enough. Reddick had been in a hold out for months with the Birds. That was the status of the player we were acquiring. If JD believed he was suddenly cool with that contract after a trade, well, pretty naive for an NFL GM, as the results have now convincingly demonstrated.

I would argue that the results as of today are not even the end of the first quarter.  We are barely into the first possession of the game and there is quite a bit left of this story to be written.  We are eager Jets fans who have many reasons to be impatient but this thing will take as long as it takes.

2 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Yeah definitely don’t record meetings that’s slapdash as hell. 

Just now, EM31 said:

I would argue that the results as of today are not even the end of the first quarter.  We are barely into the first possession of the game and there is quite a bit left of this story to be written.  We are eager Jets fans who have many reasons to be impatient but this thing will take as long as it takes.

I mean maybe JD’s plan was to keep Reddick in bubble wrap and then cave in if we suffer a serious injury. I mean, seems like a poor strategy but maybe this is working out like he expected 🤷‍♂️ 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

Dudes prolly just sick and tired of wearing green on game day!

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, jgb said:

I might be giving JD too much credit here, but perhaps he said whatever he needed to say to get the Reddick camp to agree to the deal, whilst intending to kick the can down the road on any contract issues that would come later?

If so, still not a good use of foresight but at the same time he knows the rules - Reddick needs to show up by Week 6 the latest or he and his camp are f**ked. 

23 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah fair. Reddick probably did either misrepresent his position or changed his mind after the fact. But my point is that JD is a big boy and could’ve and should’ve done more to protect the team’s interest.

Probably, but I think this goes to the low cost the Jets gave up for him. Douglas said back in the spring that they had no intention of adding another edge and that Reddick becoming available caught them off guard and changed their thinking and that it all happened very quickly. 

I suspect what happened is that Douglas thought something like: “we can get Reddick here for a 3rd rounder TWO years from now!?!?!?! Do it, we’ll get something worked out”