Reddick posts workout video

12 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't know about sending messages but JD has a few young studs coming up for contracts whose agents are watching his every move. If he shows them that holding out is an effective way to extract max value, guess what will happen?

I don't buy that kind stuff.  Every negotiation is different.  All of those contracts will work themselves out differently. 

But if I wanted to accept your premise as being, truly, an issue then I can play the other side of that coin and say Joe is showing he's unwilling to be reasonable and that's not a good thing either.  Agents don't want to work with unreasonable GM's either.

Point is, we really don't know what's going on behind the scene.  We know JD traded for a player and now that player is currently not on the roster.

I'm just tired of all the excuses for Joe.  It's one after the other with him.  Get the guy in house and let's F-ing go!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't know about sending messages but JD has a few young studs coming up for contracts whose agents are watching his every move. If he shows them that holding out is an effective way to extract max value, guess what will happen?

According to some people here, JD's job is to pay Reddick whatever he wants so that the same people can roast JD next year for mismanaging the cap and not having the resources to pay those young studs.  You know...it's about keeping the pipeline of things to bash the Jets about full. 

Reddick not even showing up for a hold-in says a lot about this situation to me.  It has been nearly unanimously recognized as a bad move on his part by national media since it would have cost him nothing and saved him millions to be in camp.  I have no idea of what he's thinking, but this one is pretty much on him, not the Jets until he shows up.  Then we can spread blame around.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Sorry, but as things sit right now, I'm 100% behind JD with how he's handling Reddick.

Let him sit out 'til week 10 - or for the season, I'm behind him either way.

Reddick has done ZERO for this team, since we traded for him and he deserves exactly the same, in return.

Sure.  And you'll win the pissing match, hurt Reddick's checking account, while the Jets lose games.  

I'm tired of losing, get the ******* guy on the field.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't buy that kind stuff.  Every negotiations is different.  All of those contracts will work themselves out differently. 

But if I wanted to accept your premise as being, truly, an issue then I can play the other side of that coin and say Joe is showing he's unwilling to be reasonable and that's not a good thing either.  Agents don't want to work with unreasonable GM's either.

Point is, we really don't know what's going on behind the scene.  We know JD traded for a player and now that player is currently not on the roster.

I'm just tired of all the excuses for Joe.  It's one after the other with him.  Get the guy in house and let's F-ing go!

What has JD done that is unreasonable? I am not saying he hasn't been unreasonable but from what we've heard I don't think you can make that claim. We haven't even heard the Reddick side of the story, have we?

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

What has JD done that is unreasonable? I am not saying he hasn't been unreasonable but from what we've heard I don't think you can make that claim. We haven't even heard the Reddick side of the story, have we?

All speculation - but from what I've pieced together is Reddick wants to discuss a new contract but Joe Douglas is unwilling to even broach the topic unless Reddick is in house.   So he's basically shut down communication.  From what I understand they have no negotiations because of that.

That, to me, is drawing an unnecessary line in the sand - lines of communication should constantly be open.  If this is true I believe it's unreasonable and can certainly be viewed as such by an agent and player.

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Sure.  And you'll win the pissing match, hurt Reddick's checking account, while the Jets lose games.  

The Jets will win plenty of games without Reddick.

I'm comfortable with Takk McKinnley filling his roster spot.

McGregor & Watts can rotate in, we'll be just fine.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

You seem to want JD to throw whatever Reddick wants at him to get him playing ($25M/year) even if it means we have to let Breece or JJ2 walk next year because we can't afford to retain them.

I want JD to do his job.   His job is to field a winning football team.

I don't know what the amount is but Joe should find out and determine if he's willing to pay it - if not then he SHOULD have traded him or not signed him in the first place.  In a win now year leaving $15mm of cap hanging around, not benefiting your roster is a GM disaster.

We can all rejoice that JD called his bluff and won - while the Jets are fielding a sub optimal team.  

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You're leaving out that Reddick agreed to this arrangement before the trade.

Again though, this isn't about pointing fingers at who is wrong and who is right.  I don't care.

I want to win - figure it the **** out.  Get him on the field - That's the job.  

12 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Feels like Joe Douglas is over playing his hand here.  I get being a tough guy but at some point it makes sense to open negotiations.  

Joe needs to be the adult in the room and not let this thing be personal.  Get the guy on the field.

Frame it out for everyone. What's this easy/obvious way to get him in? 

For starters, keep in mind he may have already racked up some $3MM in mandatory fines for the $50K/day camp practices + I think it's one regular-season game check per preseason game he's sat out (even if they would've rested him the whole game like other starters). 

What's the magic number holdout-worthy redo you think he needs, that GM FidelioJet would solve with ease?

Also do so while not setting a precedent that'll come back to bite them as early as next seasons from maybe 3-4 more under-contract starters, and for the reward of getting this one player to show up for one season, undoing the blanket negotiation starting point of if you aren't here we're not talking to you. 

12 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Reddick can always come back and play under his current contract. He'll need to do that by week 10. Otherwise, he doesn't get an accrued season. This situation is basically the equivalent of the Jets making a mid season trade.

JD should be patient. Just a 1 year deal. And no more than $20M.

I thought it was week 7 (used to be week 6) -- the idea being he has to be with the team for 10+ weeks to accrue a contract-fulfilling season.

That gives the team an extra week of getting him caught up, additionally figuring there's a good chance he won't play a full game that first week back, and thereafter would still play at least half the season.

He can't just show up a week before Thanksgiving, and then take another 1-2 weeks to get fully integrated into the defense as a full-time player, by which time a team may be mathematically (or effectively) eliminated from the playoffs. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Again though, this isn't about pointing fingers at who is wrong and who is right.  I don't care.

The art of negotiating by Fidelio. How much you want? Ok, here you go!!!

make it rain money GIF by Allure

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

OK but that's different from saying JD is being unreasonable. Reddick agreed to an arrangement and then went back on his word when the Jets traded JFM.

If anyone is being unreasonable it's the guy who went back on his word. It isn't even all that difficult of a requirement to fulfill for Reddick. Just show up and we can start a conversation. Seems his demand is pay me before I walk in the door.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Exactly how many games have we lost because we were missing Reddick's particular skill set? 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

OK but that's different from saying JD is being unreasonable. Reddick agreed to an arrangement and then went back on his word when the Jets traded JFM.

If anyone is being unreasonable it's the guy who went back on his word. It isn't even all that difficult of a requirement to fulfill for Reddick. Just show up and we can start a conversation. Seems his demand is pay me before I walk in the door.

It might not seem difficult but JD doesn't have to be such a hard on about it.  Open negotiations and have discussions.  My understanding is Joe is refusing to even open a dialog unless he's in house.  That, to me, is unnecessary and unreasonable.

It might not seem difficult but JD doesn't have to be such a hard on about it.  Open negotiations and have discussions.  My understanding is Joe is refusing to even open a dialog unless he's in house.  That, to me, is unnecessary and unreasonable.

agree to disagree

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I want JD to do his job.   His job is to field a winning football team.

I don't know what the amount is but Joe should find out and determine if he's willing to pay it - if not then he SHOULD have traded him or not signed him in the first place.  In a win now year leaving $15mm of cap hanging around, not benefiting your roster is a GM disaster.

We can all rejoice that JD called his bluff and won - while the Jets are fielding a sub optimal team.  

Disaster? Lol. We need a clown face rep option here. 🤡 Unfortunately, that’s above my pay grade.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

The art of negotiating by Fidelio. How much you want? Ok, here you go!!!

make it rain money GIF by Allure

In a win now year - when you honestly believe you are planning to make a SB run (maybe Joe doesn't really believe that) 

But yes, I would rather over spend then let cap space go unspent.  Which is worse?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, nycdan said:

You seem to be being intentionally naive about the realities of the salary cap, and the situation the Jets will be in next season.  You seem to want JD to throw whatever Reddick wants at him to get him playing ($25M/year) even if it means we have to let Breece or JJ2 walk next year because we can't afford to retain them.  What number is too high for you with regard to Reddick or is there no limit?  Sure, trading for him may have been a bad gamble, but here we are.  Blast the trade.  That's a fair position.  But should we just break our 2025 cap and threaten our ability to keep the core talent together past this year because a player is disgruntled because that's pretty much what you are pushing for.

There is no salary cap for GM's.  JD is an FA after this season.  If the Jets win big this year JD will make a ton of money.   It's in the best interest of JD and his family to make sure the Jets field the best team they possibly can this year.  JD is GM on a 1 year prove it deal with FA  on the horizon.

JD made a deal.  Good deal if Reddick is an effective edge rusher for the Jets and helps the Jets not just make the playoffs but get a bye and set them up to go deep into the playoffs.  Maybe win it all if everything breaks right.

Next season will take care of itself.  JD or the new GM will deal with it next year.   We didn't trade for Rodgers for next year.  It was for last year and this year.   

JD shouldn't have traded for him unless he knew he could work out a deal for him to play this year.   Sounds like he didn't.  It's very possible Reddick agreed to come in but when he and his agent realized JD was a lame duck GM and his hands were likely tied on a new deal changed their mind.   It makes sense as you pointed out JD isn't signing Reddick to any long term market deal even if Reddick showed up worked his ass off and plays great.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

There is no salary cap for GM's.  JD is an FA after this season.  If the Jets win big this year JD will make a ton of money.   It's in the best interest of JD and his family to make sure the Jets field the best team they possibly can this year.  JD is GM on a 1 year prove it deal with FA  on the horizon.

For argument's sake, if the Jets start 8-0, there's nothing stopping Woody Johnson from extending Douglas during the season.

That said, you're point of view is somewhat skewed.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

But they have talked in negotiation. At least as it has been reported.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

For argument's sake, if the Jets start 8-0, there's nothing stopping Woody Johnson from extending Douglas during the season.

That said, you're point of view is somewhat skewed.

For arguments sake, if the Jets start 8 and 0 there's nothing stopping JD from walking and seeing what he's worth on the open market and telling Woody he'll get back to him.

If JD has the kind of balls he expects Reddick to have he should bet on himself.

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Biggs said:

For arguments sake, if the Jets start 8 and 0 there's nothing stopping JD from walking and seeing what he's worth on the open market and telling Woody he'll get back to him.

If JD has the kind of balls he expects Reddick to have he should bet on himself.

No reason to think he would do that, unless JD has told you personally that he's unhappy with the Jets.

7 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

But they have talked in negotiation. At least as it has been reported.

While not always correct I find Schefter to be pretty reliable.  This would make sense considering (based on other reporting) JD refused to negotiate unless Reddick is in house. 

If true, seems like an unnecessary and unreasonable line for JD to hold.

36 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

In a win now year - when you honestly believe you are planning to make a SB run (maybe Joe doesn't really believe that) 

But yes, I would rather over spend then let cap space go unspent.  Which is worse?

JD can't negiotate a reasonable deal and Reddick and his agent know that.  That's why they want a trade.  The Jets leverage makes it highly likely that Reddick will play without a reasonable deal.  He will come in and play hard and if the Jets win he and JD will leave together to another team.  

JD has his resignation speech written on a wrinkled cocktail napkin ready to go. 

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If you have available cap space then you are free to hand out bad contracts. Got it 🙄

I'm starting to think that he is unwilling to play on a one year deal no matter how much money they throw at him. He wants his last big contract now because he knows he won't show enough to get that 3 year 75+ mil contract he wants after the season is over. And I'm not saying he's washed, I'm saying that odds are the best is behind him. But 10 sacks for 14 mil and a 2026 third is still a good deal for the Jets.

7 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

No reason to think he would do that, unless JD has told you personally that he's unhappy with the Jets.

Can you imagine working for a horses ass like Woody and letting that little prick leave you hanging as a lame duck GM?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

While not always correct I find Schefter to be pretty reliable.  This would make sense considering (based on other reporting) JD refused to negotiate unless Reddick is in house. 

If true, seems like an unnecessary and unreasonable line for JD to hold.

My point was only that "they have engaged in talks", which Schefter confirms.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Not in "Months"  So at best they haven't spoken since June.   To me, that's not Joe Douglas doing his job. 

JD isn't going to sign him to a market multiyear deal.  He's going to come in and play at some point on his current deal with or without a minor tweak.   That's JD's position.  

• Upvote 3

Not in "Months"  So at best they haven't spoken since June.   To me, that's not Joe Douglas doing his job. 

In your view, JD's job is to get Reddick in no matter the cost. So I can see why you feel that way. However, Woody might have put a max value on what JD can offer and so far Reddick has been unwilling to work for that. We just don't know. Maybe Woody is willing to wait until 10 are games left to bring him in, no matter that Douglas truly wants. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Biggs said:

JD isn't going to sign him to a market multiyear deal.  He's going to come in and play at some point on his current deal with or without a minor tweak.   That's JD's position.  

Or Woody's.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, he is being a hard on by doing exactly what he said was stated team policy since long before they traded for Reddick.  He should bend the rule for Reddick.  I mean the Jets owe Reddick so much.  They will be able to go right back to following that policy with Gardner, Wilson, Hall, Johnson and Vera-Tucker eligible for extensions.  You can't put the genie back in the bottle.  This is not the guy you alter policy on.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1