SALEH FIRED

nj meadowlands

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is the part that burns my balls. They knowingly put together a garbage staff on offense full of rejects and failures. Was Hackett Saleh’s call? Todd Downing? I do think Keith Carter was Saleh’s guy from his Seattle days. But, now it’s the offense that is, and remains, garbage but those guys get a pass? Makes no sense whatsoever. Why was none of this addressed in the offseason? Everyone knew Hackett was useless. 

the head coach put together the staff, you know, because he was the head coach. Blaming "they" for Todd Downing. LOL. GTFO

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

the head coach put together the staff, you know, because he was the head coach. Blaming "they" for Todd Downing. LOL. GTFO

Yes because that’s how that works with the New York Jets. Just like Saleh fired Mike LaFleur and hired Nate Hackett because he really wanted to. 

Just now, T0mShane said:

Yes because that’s how that works with the New York Jets. Just like Saleh fired Mike LaFleur and hired Nate Hackett because he really wanted to. 

He absolutely wanted to hire Nate Hackett because he absolutely wanted Aaron Rodgers. He raved about Nate Hackett. 

Are we pretending that Saleh didn't want Aaron Rodgers now? 🤣

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

He absolutely wanted to hire Nate Hackett because he absolutely wanted Aaron Rodgers. He raved about Nate Hackett. 

I know you don’t believe this

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

you really think he wanted Rodgers? why would anyone want to bring in someone who would instantly have more power than him. and 2nd, they only needed to make the playoffs last year, but when Rodgers got here it was SB or bust. why would they want that kind of pressure? 

you just witness Woody going over his GM to fire Saleh you dont think he went over their heads to force them to get Hackett and Rodgers? god only knows how many times Woody meddle in the roster of this team.

Just now, T0mShane said:

I know you don’t believe this

Since we are speaking about things we know, I know you don't believe Saleh was anything close to a decent head coach and are simply trolling the board. 

If you really don't believe that Saleh wanted Aaron Rodgers, then you might need emergency brain surgery. 

FYI, Saleh has been quoted multiple times describing Hackett as an "elite" teacher.  Fun fact: When we played the Broncos in 2022, well before Rodgers was as blip on the Jets radar, Saleh raved about Nate Hackett. Go watch the press conferences from the lead up to that game.

You are lost. About as lost as Saleh generally was on offensive side of the ball. 

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Since we are speaking about things we know, I know you don't believe Saleh was anything close to a decent head coach and are simply trolling the board. 

If you really don't believe that Saleh wanted Aaron Rodgers, then you might need emergency brain surgery. 

FYI, Saleh has been quoted multiple times describing Hackett as an "elite" teacher.  Fun fact: When we played the Broncos in 2022, well before Rodgers was as blip on the Jets radar, Saleh raved about Nate Hackett. Go watch the press conferences from the lead up to that game.

You are lost. About as lost as Saleh generally was on offensive side of the ball. 

Don‘t dissemble. Do you believe that Robert Saleh unilaterally hires and fires the coaches on his staff?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Don‘t dissemble. Do you believe that Robert Saleh unilaterally hires and fires the coaches on his staff?

Probably not. But do you think Woody and his advisors implemented this skip preseason and training camp regimen?

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Probably not. But do you think Woody and his advisors implemented this skip preseason and training camp regimen?

He does that new-agey Shanahan bullsh*t where he tried to play the long game. It was gross and hard to watch. I hated the stairs shtick and the stupid Pinterest motivational hackery. All that said, the lack of practices and hard coaching still produced top five defenses while he was here. 

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Well, I think Hackett was hired to lure Aaron Rodgers here. We can call that an "organizational decision" if you wish (although the idea that Saleh wasn't on board with getting Rodgers is completely unfounded and somewhat preposterous on its face)

But I have no reason to believe Saleh didn't hire every other coach on his staff (and for the record, I think he hired Hackett, who he was raving about in 2022, too). 

It's interesting that you concede that Saleh hired Keith Carter (arguably one of the worst assistant coaches in the entire league), but are pretending that the other bad offensive coaches were forced on him by nefarious forces. 

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He does that new-agey Shanahan bullsh*t where he tried to play the long game. It was gross and hard to watch. I hated the stairs shtick and the stupid Pinterest motivational hackery. All that said, the lack of practices and hard coaching still produced top five defenses while he was here. 

Cool. What record did it produce? 

I like how the new metric for judging Saleh is defensive rankings, as opposed to, W/L record, playoff berths, and winning seasons. Reminds me of Rex when he would pound his chest about his #1 defense after they gave up a game winning drive to David Garrard. 

Saleh on the sidelines looked like an executive at Enron during its final days—full of shame, regret, and the realization that his laziness (yes, I’m calling him lazy) and hands off management style cost him everything.

He hired Nathaniel Hackett to lure Rodgers, and that decision blew up in his face. Hackett’s play-calling was as uncreative as it gets, and the team struggled to handle the basics—like snapping the ball on time. Fifteen penalties against the Broncos? That’s not coaching; that’s a meltdown. Saleh essentially handed the keys to a 40-year-old quarterback and sat back, watching the disaster unfold as a spectator.

Even on Hard Knocks, his team meetings were lifeless, read straight off a teleprompter. It was painfully clear that he was in way over his head. Saleh spent more time on the golf course, remodeling his homes, hitting the gym, and with his seven kids than actually leading his team. He never looked tired because he never worked hard enough to be tired. Does anyone think he was working hours beyond 9-5?

The truth is, Saleh never wanted the full responsibility of a head coach. He hired the first guy who checked a box and let others run the show while he coasted. He didn’t know how to manage his staff, didn’t know how to manage his team, and now he’s paid the price.

This wasn’t just a bad 3+ years — it was a leadership failure of Enron proportions (led by Woody and compounded by Saleh). Now the Jets are left with the mess while Saleh enjoys more time on the golf course.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Well, I think Hackett was hired to lure Aaron Rodgers here. We can call that an "organizational decision" if you wish (although the idea that Saleh wasn't on board with getting Rodgers is completely unfounded and somewhat preposterous on its face)

But I have no reason to believe Saleh didn't hire every other coach on his staff (and for the record, I think he hired Hackett, who he was raving about in 2022, too). 

It's interesting that you concede that Saleh hired Keith Carter (arguably one of the worst assistant coaches in the entire league), but are pretending that the other bad offensive coaches were forced on him by nefarious forces. 

Saleh raves about every coach. Hackett was an unqualified disaster who had just been launched headlong out of Denver when the Jets raced to hire him. Saleh is a very good defensive coordinator who surely knew how bad Hackett’s offense was. Is it your belief that Saleh 1. Fired Mike LaFleur in deference to Zach Wilson’s feelings and 2. Ran to hire Hackett because that‘s what Saleh wanted to do? 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Saleh on the sidelines looked like an executive at Enron during its final days—full of shame, regret, and the realization that his laziness (yes, I’m calling him lazy) and hands off management style cost him everything.

He hired Nathaniel Hackett to lure Rodgers, and that decision blew up in his face. Hackett’s play-calling was as uncreative as it gets, and the team struggled to handle the basics—like snapping the ball on time. Fifteen penalties against the Broncos? That’s not coaching; that’s a meltdown. Saleh essentially handed the keys to a 40-year-old quarterback and sat back, watching the disaster unfold as a spectator.

Even on Hard Knocks, his team meetings were lifeless, read straight off a teleprompter. It was painfully clear that he was in way over his head. Saleh spent more time on the golf course, remodeling his homes, hitting the gym, and with his seven kids than actually leading his team. He never looked tired because he never worked hard enough to be tired. Does anyone think he was working hours beyond 9-5?

The truth is, Saleh never wanted the full responsibility of a head coach. He hired the first guy who checked a box and let others run the show while he coasted. He didn’t know how to manage his staff, didn’t know how to manage his team, and now he’s paid the price.

This wasn’t just a bad 3+ years — it was a leadership failure of Enron proportions (led by Woody and compounded by Saleh). Now the Jets are left with the mess while Saleh enjoys more time on the golf course.

This is exactly what it felt and looked like. It wouldn’t shock me if he had a guy to do the job for him in previous spots too. Looking the part goes a long way (also factored into Woody dumping Darnold for Zach). Would love to find out the details of the Lions interview. 

the Jets also desperately wanted off of hard knocks because everyone knew the coach had no clothes. Same with the GM (who I don’t think ever appeared once). 

Take it for what it’s worth: Woody Johnson sat down with the coaching staff after the Denver loss and told them that the London game (Vikings) was a must win. Johnson reportedly embarrassed by the start of the team in London.

As far as I know Aaron Rodgers was not in that meeting nor are there any reports that he instructed Woody Johnson to call that meeting 

5 hours ago, Grandy said:

I also think it's foolish to pin so much blame on Saleh because the biggest problem with our team during his tenure was the QB.

We don't know how much the passing of Greg Knapp changed things, but regardless the reporting has been that he was never on board with Zach and he was forced on him. Saleh then gets scapegoated for a bad team that can be linked to mismanaging of the offense and QB which is more tied to Woody and JD.

The fact that we fired him and none of the offensive staff is comical. He built an incredible defense, and it was not his responsibility to handle the QB. Our entire power structure is such a mess.

Stopped reading at “incredible defense “

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Saleh raves about every coach. Hackett was an unqualified disaster who had just been launched headlong out of Denver when the Jets raced to hire him. Saleh is a very good defensive coordinator who surely knew how bad Hackett’s offense was. Is it your belief that Saleh 1. Fired Mike LaFleur in deference to Zach Wilson’s feelings and 2. Ran to hire Hackett because that‘s what Saleh wanted to do? 

Hackett was also the OC of the Jags making Bortles look serviceable and almost going to a SB. He also elevated Rodgers to MVP levels after down years as OC. His track record was good as an OC before the Denver disaster 

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Saleh very clearly wanted Aaron Rodgers and Hackett was a means to that end. As I have already stated, I believe he was fully on board with the push for Rodgers and I have not seen a shred of evidence to suggest otherwise. I'd be curious to hear/see any such evidence you may have. 

This retrospective gaslighting you are engaging in by pretending Saleh was somehow not a dreadful head coach is. . . interesting. 

9 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

Hackett was also the OC of the Jags making Bortles look serviceable and almost going to a SB. He also elevated Rodgers to MVP levels after down years as OC. His track record was good as an OC before the Denver disaster 

Matt LaFleur was the OC for Rodgers’ MVP seasons. Hackett was the buffer between LaFleur and Rodgers and handled red zone packages. Matt LaFleur is a top three coach in the league right now. 

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Saleh very clearly wanted Aaron Rodgers and Hackett was a means to that end. As I have already stated, I believe he was fully on board with the push for Rodgers and I have not seen a shred of evidence to suggest otherwise. I'd be curious to hear/see any such evidence you may have. 

This retrospective gaslighting you are engaging in by pretending Saleh was somehow not a dreadful head coach is. . . interesting. 

Where have I ever said that Saleh didn’t want Rodgers? 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Matt LaFleur was the OC for Rodgers’ MVP seasons. Hackett was the buffer between LaFleur and Rodgers and handled red zone packages. Matt LaFleur is a top three coach in the league right now. 

Top 3 ? No way. 

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Hackett was hired by Lefleur on merit and while he didn’t call all the plays he contributed a key role to mvp season. This is after his success in Jacksonville. He had a good track record as OC. 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Where have I ever said that Saleh didn’t want Rodgers? 

If you aren't saying that Saleh didn't want Rogers, then I don't know what your point is. If Saleh wanted Rodgers (he obviously did), then why would we assume he wasn't on board with Hackett? You weren't getting Rodgers with Mike LeFleur or any other young OC Saleh could have realistically attracted to the Jets. 

So . . . who else from his staff was "forced" on him? You admit he hired Keith Carter (another guy he hyped up and went out of his way to detail why he brought him in). So who else?

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

If you aren't saying that Saleh didn't want Rogers, then I don't know what your point is. If Saleh wanted Rodgers (he obviously did), then why would we assume he wasn't on board with Hackett? You weren't getting Rodgers with Mike LeFleur or any other young OC Saleh could have realistically attracted to the Jets. 

So . . . who else from his staff was "forced" on him? You admit he hired Keith Carter (another guy he hyped up and went out of his way to detail why he brought him in). So who else?

My post said, “Was Hackett Saleh’s call? Todd Downing?” You replied “yes, a head coach hires all of his assistants unilaterally,” which is dumb unless you think Saleh single-handedly set in motion a plan to seduce Aaron Rodgers to the Jets. 

1 hour ago, doitny said:

you really think he wanted Rodgers? why would anyone want to bring in someone who would instantly have more power than him. and 2nd, they only needed to make the playoffs last year, but when Rodgers got here it was SB or bust. why would they want that kind of pressure? 

you just witness Woody going over his GM to fire Saleh you dont think he went over their heads to force them to get Hackett and Rodgers? god only knows how many times Woody meddle in the roster of this team.

Think he like everyone including us hoped a guy even this late in a Hall of Fame career could make things way better. You can fault the move, but you also can understand the logic. 

I don't have a problem with the firing. Heck, all for it. Saleh didn't add anything. Johnson is no genius but they  had to change some variable and apply the paddles. You can't allow them to start playing out the string with a dozen games left here. Can't cut 53 players but you can fire 1 guy. Though strongly suspect Johnson did this largely because Saleh's contract is up at the end of the season and he won't pay anybody not to coach ever again. They've done that so often. 

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My post said, “Was Hackett Saleh’s call? Todd Downing?” You replied “yes, a head coach hires all of his assistants unilaterally,” which is dumb unless you think Saleh single-handedly set in motion a plan to seduce Aaron Rodgers to the Jets. 

yes, usually the head coach hires all of his assistants. And since Saleh wanted Rodgers, I'm assuming he reached out to Hackett in very much the same way he reached out to everyone else he hired?

Even if I grant you that Hackett was "forced" on him (again, I doubt that. I think the Jets made an organizational decision to go after Rodgers and Saleh was very happy to bring in a guy he had high regard for to make that happen), who else was forced on him?  Not Keith Carter, so who else? This whole narrative goes nowhere and absolves Saleh of nothing. 

Just now, Matt39 said:

I think the Harbaughs round out the top 3 with Reid.

I love Jim and have no doubt he’ll fix the Chargers, but he’s not there yet imo. John is obviously great but it’s like Shanahan in that I’ve seen their teams spit the bit too much. Regardless, LaFleur is in that pool imo.