Jeff Ulbrich Press Conference 10/10

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We will see.  The fact that Hackett is still here and kept his OC title means something.

Id prefer Hackett was fired and sent home.  Not sure how much will change w/ him still in the building.

We will see Monday night.

Says the guy that has a self made up title as the peoples captain. LOL

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Thanks Ghosty.  This is like the advice "when you go to prison, pick a fight w/ the biggest/baddest dude in there."

This shea guy is trying to make a name for himself by going after The P-E-O-P-L-E's Captain.  Let him have him have his fun.

He will fade into irrelevancy like the rest of them.

George Costanza Fighting GIF

10 hours ago, The Crusher said:

well he seems excited and sincere. I like the use of the word "violence", put that sh*t on a T-shirt. 

Have to focus on stopping the run.  That touched the giddy bone. 

Wonder how long he has been pounding on the table for that philosophy with old, we can stop the run anytime we want. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Thanks Ghosty.  This is like the advice "when you go to prison, pick a fight w/ the biggest/baddest dude in there."

This shea guy is trying to make a name for himself by going after The P-E-O-P-L-E's Captain.  Let him have him have his fun.

He will fade into irrelevancy like the rest of them.

What’s your favorite brand of soap?

22 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Like how he said he wants his players on time, taking notes etc

Saleh would of told you “they are grown men” 

Phil Simms, Tuesday morning (pre-Saleh firing) told the story on FAN morning show - the first team meeting Dan Reeves had when taking over the Giants (he replaced Ray Handley) he came into the room and told all the players to sit up straight, put your feet on the floor, notebooks out and open ready to take notes.  Simms turned to the player sitting next to him (can't remember the name) and said, "we're going to win". They went 11-5

31 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

so Woody was going to fire Ulbrich until Shanahan wanted him back?

LOL. That right there just shows you Woody operates. And why we'll have to fall ass backwards into a good regime. He has no clue. 

He wanted a scapegoat - what reason was there to fire Ulbrich, of all people, last season? 

Oh Shanahan wants him??! Okay, he must be doing something right! He can stay!

Jesus chrisssss

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Wow Jeff is retaining DC role and playcalling duties.

It’s a lot of any HC and he’s brand new first time HC.

Manuel & Ulbrich coached together in Atlanta. Just a guess on my part - I can see Ulbrich giving Manuel (and other D coaches) some added responsibility of preparing most of the weekly game plan.  He'll review it and make any necessary tweaks.  He'll just call the plays gameday. I know "just" isn't that simple but you get the idea. 

Marquand Manuel - Defensive Backs/Safeties

Prior to joining the Jets, Manuel served as the defensive backs coach with Philadelphia (2020), before four seasons in Atlanta, first as the secondary coach/senior defensive assistant (2015-16), Manuel was later promoted to defensive coordinator (2017-18). In his first season as coordinator (2017), the defense ranked in the top 10 in scoring defense (eighth), total defense (ninth), rushing defense (ninth), and red zone defense (fifth). Additionally, a pair of second year players, linebacker Deion Jones and safety Keanu Neal, each were selected for their first Pro Bowl.

19 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Despite what Joe W. Namath thinks, this is not a "bad" Bills team.

The pass defense is very good, and their run game has been impressive.

Allen is good enough to compensate for a lack of elite weapons.

As Ulbirch alluded to, they will need to bring it on D with the big boys up front to shut down this run game while also making sure Josh Allen doesn't take over.

The bills are good but we actually match up well with them.  Their lack of talent at WR has started to become an issue last 2 weeks and our secondary can cover their receivers single man to man while spying Josh Allen

Oliver might not play this week which is also huge

2 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

LOL. That right there just shows you Woody operates. And why we'll have to fall ass backwards into a good regime. He has no clue. 

He wanted a scapegoat - what reason was there to fire Ulbrich, of all people, last season? 

Jesus chrisssss

I thought that was just this past offseason Feb 2024 after Shanahan fired DC Steve Wilks?  Not 2023 as Breer says?

11 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Jesus chrisssss

I’m still confused on what Joe Douglas actually does 

20 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Something in his timeline is off but it's funny that his perception changed strictly on Shanahan having interest. 

Breer's story and/or timeline seems bogus.  I could see after Ulbrich's 1st yr as DC (2021). The D sucked and 75% of people here wanted Ulbrich gone.  The D has not been the issue the last 2+ seasons. 

Back in February, the San Francisco 49ers were thinking about possibly hiring Ulbrich as the team's defensive coordinator. The job had previously belonged to Steve Wilks, but he got fired shortly after San Francisco's 25-22 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs in Super Bowl LVIII.  

With the 49ers suddenly in need of a new defensive coordinator, Kyle Shanahan made a call to the Jets with the hopes that he might be able to hire Ulbrich, according to the San Francisco Chronicle (Ulbrich was one of several candidates the 49ers looked at or reached out to before promoting Nick Sorensen). 

Hiring Ulrbich definitely would have made some sense for the 49ers. Not only is he widely regarded as a good defensive coach, but he also has some serious ties to the organization: Ulbrich grew up in California as a 49ers fan AND he spent his entire 10-year NFL playing career in San Francisco. 

Shanahan also has some personal ties to Ulbrich: The two men were on the same coaching staff in Atlanta for two seasons (2015-16). Ulbrich and Shanahan were on the sideline together for Super Bowl LI when the Falcons blew a 28-3 lead to the Patriots. 

Unfortunately for Shanahan, the Jets did have some say in the process. Since Ulbrich was the defensive coordinator in New York and he would be taking the same job in San Francisco, the Jets had the power to veto the move and that's what Robert Saleh did. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/49ers-tried-to-steal-new-jets-interim-coach-jeff-ulbrich-from-new-york-during-the-2024-offseason/

57 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Completely ridiculous and yet totally believable. That's Woody in a nutshell. Completely clueless, rabbit eared fool. 

Really hoping Woody accidentally got this right... Either way, Saleh had to go. I was certain this season was gonna be wasted, with any adjustments only being made the last 2 weeks of the season. So I'm glad to see some action here... but we're prob totally F'd if Woody didn't accidentally get the right guy on staff. I was worried we were gonna lose Ulbrich and soon, and then see the DEFENSE drop off too! Very curious to see how much more aggressive the team is under Brick, and if we see adjustments being made, and just general COACHING, something nonexistent under Saleh. 

15 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Corley isn't injured. He didn't mention him at all lol.

Had him confused with Leki Fotu.

Brich called him Leki at the 1:45 mark of the video, which sounded very much like Malachi to me.

My mistake.

33 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Is this the first time we've heard of Corleys "hamstring issue"?

@Jet_Engine1

I had him confused with Leki Fotu.

Brich called him "Leki" at the 1:45 mark of the video, which sounded very much like Malachi to me, when I listened to it.

My mistake, apologies.

Still good news though, that Fotu will likely make his season debut.