Reality Check on RB Trades

ThunderbirdJet

A lot of people are going ga-ga over Bush right now. Off the top of my head, two historical trades come to mind. Herschel Walker, and Dallas used all those picks to start a dynasty. Then, Ditka breaking the bank for Ricky Williams. In both cases, the teams that gave away all those picks set their franchises back at least 5 years.

I just hope that Tannenbaum and Mangini are students of NFL history.

I think you throw history out the window when assessing this potential deal-I've been seeing stuff like how many super bowls did Barry Sanders and Gale Sayers win?How about Marino?All this crap goes out the window and is meaningless.I liken it more to how I felt when we stole Curtis Martin from NE-he has made a pretty good impact for us I'd say-Bush can do the same and who knows if Mangini and Mikey T can shore up the lines we might be able to get ourselves a twin for the one Joe Willie brought us someday

A lot of people are going ga-ga over Bush right now. Off the top of my head, two historical trades come to mind. Herschel Walker, and Dallas used all those picks to start a dynasty. Then, Ditka breaking the bank for Ricky Williams. In both cases, the teams that gave away all those picks set their franchises back at least 5 years.

Actually the Ravens drafted Jamal Lewis #5 & went to (and won) the superbowl with him.

But it's a rarity.

Add up all the SB rings for these guys taken at (or near) top-5, with the team that drafted them in the last 30 years:

LaDanian Tomlinson (#5)

Jamal Lewis (#5)

Edgerrin James (#4)

Ricky Williams (#5)

Curtis Enis (#5)

Lawrence Phillips (#6)

Ki-Jana Carter (#1)

Marshall Faulk (with Indy) - (#2)

Garrison Hearst (#2)

Blair Thomas (#2)

Barry Sanders (#2)

Alonzo Highsmith (#3)

Brent Fullwood (#4)

Bo Jackson (#1)

Eric Dickerson (#1)

Curt Warner (#3)

George Rogers (#1)

Freeman McNeil (#3)

Billy Sims (#1)

Curtis Dickey (#5)

Earl Campbell (#1)

Terry Miller (#5)

Ricky Bell (#1)

Tony Dorsett (#2)

Chuck Muncie (#3)

Joe Washington (#4)

Walter Payton (#4)

Bo Matthews (#2)

This list includes some duds for sure, but it also includes some of the most dominant RB's ever to play the game (in their prime). And you have to go back to the 1970's (15+ years before free-agency & the salary cap) to find two of the three with a single ring.

Also doesn't include the THREE taken last year (Brown, Benson, Cadillac). All three will not get a ring and the odds are that not one of them will get a single ring.

The point is not that you won't get a superstar at that spot. Bush (barring injury) WILL be a superstar. But it doesn't mean you'll win anything because of it. Great TEAMS win the superbowl, not a single great PLAYER.

I'd part with the #35 pick. NO will be getting something for nothing. But beyond that, we're trying to build a TEAM. A superbowl winner. Not a rushing title.

Those teams made moronic trades for Walker and Williams, TBird .. thousands of points over chart value

If the Jets can trade the #4, #29 and #71 overall picks for #2, that would be a measley difference of 75 VP's, the price of a 4th RD Pick

#2 = 2600 Value Points

==

#4, #29 & #71 = 2675 VP's

Look the Jets have to look into this possibility- I agree not to give up the bank for Bush in draft choices but we have multiple choices this year that is our bargaining chip to get an elite player possibly. You have to see what it would take to move up and not deplete your choices

Archived