The 2006 Offensive Line

ThunderbirdJet

And my thoughts on it.....

LT: Ferguson has to start. He would not learn anything on the bench, it's a no brainer.... however: I expect him to struggle in some games this year. There will be some games where he gets schooled, and it will be big news, with all the "bust" nonsense. He could be that franchise LT pro-bowler, but it won't be this year. The expectations will be unrealistic.

RG: Thank the football gods, Kendall goes back to LG. He can still pull, and is the best run blocking O lineman on the team.

C: I think Teague starts this year. Kendall proved just how important having an experienced guy at center to call the blocking assignments really is in the NFL, and let's not forget the snap fumbles last year. Teague will struggle against powerful 3-4 NT's though. He isn't a strong run blocker either. What he will bring is a cohesiveness and a veteran presence to the O line that was non-existant last year.

LG: Moore.... maybe Mangold? I've seen conflicting reports on whether or not Mangold will be given the chance to win the starting RG spot. Personally, I think Mangold would benefit greatly if he played this year at RG. That would give him a year of experience learning from Teague, and help him make the transition to playing O line in the NFL. I've always looked at Moore as a very average guard. Not bad, not very good, either. Better suited as very high quality depth, rather than a starter. I could also see something of a Moore/Mangold rotation here. Mangold is a beast, speed wise, and as a pulling guard .... it makes me salivate. He, like almost every other OL the Jets have, isn't a good straight ahead run blocker... yet. Like Ferguson, I think he will improve after a year in the NFL in this aspect.

RT: Jones. I still say Jones is out of position here. He's a natural LT. Fast feet, big wingspan, athletic. Can he improve his straight ahead power blocking game? Maybe. I certainly would not say that Jones is any sort of anchor for the running game on the right side. What concerns me even more are the rumors Mangold could start at center, and Teague at RT. We already know Teague isn't a good run blocker. At least Jones has upside here.

So, just for discussion, I rate this line as follows:

Run Blocking: C-

Pass Blocking: B+

The Jets will continue their recent struggles to score on the ground inside the five, and the QB sneak may remain our best 3rd and short option. On the flip side, this group can pull and block. I hope to see the Jets establish a nice array of screens and outside runs to take advantage of what this group should do best.

Even with some injuries, the line should not fall apart the way it did last year. There is pretty good depth across the board. Mangini, unlike Herm da Werm, won't have to juggle the entire line if one guy goes down. This group also offers much better flexabilty in terms of guys who can play multiple positions.

Thoughts?

I think we'll go Dbrick-Kendall-Mangold-Teague-Jones.

I dont really like the idea of having two finesse OTs on both sides of the line. Typicall you'd like your RT to be more or road grader. I think the Jets will give Anthony Clement every chance to beat out Jones (Though I dont see it happening).

Maybe this kid from UCLA can also develop. Not this year, but maybe in a year or two.

Nothing against Jones, he is a fine player but he is more suited for LT. I thought he did a heck of a job last year considering the circumstances.

And my thoughts on it.....

LT: Ferguson has to start. He would not learn anything on the bench, it's a no brainer.... however: I expect him to struggle in some games this year. There will be some games where he gets schooled, and it will be big news, with all the "bust" nonsense. He could be that franchise LT pro-bowler, but it won't be this year. The expectations will be unrealistic.

RG: Thank the football gods, Kendall goes back to LG. He can still pull, and is the best run blocking O lineman on the team.

C: I think Teague starts this year. Kendall proved just how important having an experienced guy at center to call the blocking assignments really is in the NFL, and let's not forget the snap fumbles last year. Teague will struggle against powerful 3-4 NT's though. He isn't a strong run blocker either. What he will bring is a cohesiveness and a veteran presence to the O line that was non-existant last year.

LG: Moore.... maybe Mangold? I've seen conflicting reports on whether or not Mangold will be given the chance to win the starting RG spot. Personally, I think Mangold would benefit greatly if he played this year at RG. That would give him a year of experience learning from Teague, and help him make the transition to playing O line in the NFL. I've always looked at Moore as a very average guard. Not bad, not very good, either. Better suited as very high quality depth, rather than a starter. I could also see something of a Moore/Mangold rotation here. Mangold is a beast, speed wise, and as a pulling guard .... it makes me salivate. He, like almost every other OL the Jets have, isn't a good straight ahead run blocker... yet. Like Ferguson, I think he will improve after a year in the NFL in this aspect.

RT: Jones. I still say Jones is out of position here. He's a natural LT. Fast feet, big wingspan, athletic. Can he improve his straight ahead power blocking game? Maybe. I certainly would not say that Jones is any sort of anchor for the running game on the right side. What concerns me even more are the rumors Mangold could start at center, and Teague at RT. We already know Teague isn't a good run blocker. At least Jones has upside here.

So, just for discussion, I rate this line as follows:

Run Blocking: C-

Pass Blocking: B+

The Jets will continue their recent struggles to score on the ground inside the five, and the QB sneak may remain our best 3rd and short option. On the flip side, this group can pull and block. I hope to see the Jets establish a nice array of screens and outside runs to take advantage of what this group should do best.

Even with some injuries, the line should not fall apart the way it did last year. There is pretty good depth across the board. Mangini, unlike Herm da Werm, won't have to juggle the entire line if one guy goes down. This group also offers much better flexabilty in terms of guys who can play multiple positions.

Thoughts?

I hope Jones buffs up during off season to prepare for RT because former HC Edwards acknowledged Jones that Jets would take Ferguson(assuming Leinart and Bush were not available at 4th). There was no way for Jones to know whether Ferguson was taken by Jets or not... No excuse for Jones not to get bulked up...

Mangold is EXCELLENT run blocker but struggles as pass blocker. Ferguson is opposite of Mangold... Mangold will not start at G for most of time...

LT depth- Ferguson, Teague, CLements and Jones.

LG depth- Kendall, Snells, Morley and Teague.

C depth- Mangold, Teague, Katnik/Missant.

RG depth- Moore, Morley, Snells and Teague/Missant.

RT depth- Jones, Clements, Morley, Ferguson and Teague.

It is just a pre depth chart for OL.... Hope Jets make a right decision..

I think we'll go Dbrick-Kendall-Mangold-Teague-Jones.

I dont really like the idea of having two finesse OTs on both sides of the line. Typicall you'd like your RT to be more or road grader. I think the Jets will give Anthony Clement every chance to beat out Jones (Though I dont see it happening).

Maybe this kid from UCLA can also develop. Not this year, but maybe in a year or two.

Nothing against Jones, he is a fine player but he is more suited for LT. I thought he did a heck of a job last year considering the circumstances.

You guys get exactly what you ask for. You knew Adrian Jones was a better LT than RT and that a big road grader RT was a bigger need for us than a finesse Left Tackle which we already had.

Pass blocking will be fine but our run blocking will blow. You set up the pass with the run and we won't have much of a "run". Prepare to see plenty of 2 and 8's and 2nd and 7's this fall.

Maybe we can devote all of next year's draft to solidifying the right side of our line? Neglect everything else like we did this year?

I hope Jones buffs up during off season to prepare for RT because former HC Edwards acknowledged Jones that Jets would take Ferguson(assuming Leinart and Bush were not available at 4th). There was no way for Jones to know whether Ferguson was taken by Jets or not... No excuse for Jones not to get bulked up...

Mangold is EXCELLENT run blocker but struggles as pass blocker. Ferguson is opposite of Mangold... Mangold will not start at G for most of time...

LT depth- Ferguson, Teague, CLements and Jones.

LG depth- Kendall, Snells, Morley and Teague.

C depth- Mangold, Teague, Katnik/Missant.

RG depth- Moore, Morley, Snells and Teague/Missant.

RT depth- Jones, Clements, Morley, Ferguson and Teague.

It is just a pre depth chart for OL.... Hope Jets make a right decision..

Um.... where did you get this on Mangold?

Nick Mangold C 6'4 300 Ohio St.

By: Robert Davis

Mangold moved into the starting lineup as a sophomore when Alex Stepanovich went down with an injury, and has not seen the bench since then. He started the final 11 games that year, and has been twice named to the All Big 10 2nd team since.

There aren't too many centers that can move like Mangold. He has very good athleticism, can get out and pull, and blocks well on the move. He is a technician that rarely gets himself out of position. He gets out of his stance quickly and sets up immediately. He's tough and will not back down from anyone. His athletic skills give him the ability to play guard as well.

Mangold lacks the ideal size and strength to play center in the NFL. He has the frame to add more weight, and will have to do so to succeed in the NFL. He is on the lean side, and that combination of a lack of size and strength will give him fits in the league. He puts himself in great position but often loses out to bigger tackles because of his inability to drive them off the line. Mangold has packed on some weight since the end of the season. He still needs to show he can carry that weight and use the extra power on the field. Mangold is an excellent center prospect, and will be the first center off the board.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/c/nickmangold.html

STRONG POINTSMangold is a very good athlete with the quickness and playing speed to make good blocks all over the field. He can pull from his center position and can lead block well on outside runs. He is a smart young man who can set up quickly, makes all the calls and can adjust to defensive line stunts and delayed blitzes. He is a good positional run blocker who can seal defensive tackles off on most inside runs.

WEAKNESSESMangold looks much thinner on film than his measured weight and he struggles to play strong. He cannot get movement on straight-ahead run blocks and gets knocked backward by bull rushers too often. He loses his focus at times, which leads to him leaning and reaching to make contact and he gets beat by quick arm-over moves. When he pulls, he does not always block a man.

His inline run blocking is not good... yet. His strength, as is the strength of this entire O line in terms of run blocking us his ability to pull and block in space. He is not a telephone booth run blocker, it's the weakest part of his game.

BTW, North, I didn't ask for Ferguson. I agree, Jones is a finesse RT. Spilt milk, what's done is done. I like the Mangold pick, but really wanted a road grading RT in this draft. Old news. Little point in lamenting over that crap now.

LT Ferguson

LG Kendall

C Mangold

RG Moore

RT Jones

This line is already an upgrade from last year and will develop into a good line near the end of the season and get better game by game. Teague will be good depth and a mentor to Mangold and Moore is a good solid RG who gets it done. He was our most consistent linemen last year. This line is set for years to come.

Mangold has to start...at center. Listen, if this guys has to sit on the bench even for a year, that's a year of experience of not having these guys form a chemistry. I've already chucked this coming year up to "getting aquainted"...so, throw them into the fire, that's the only way we'll develop a line that clicks as one.

Mangold has to start...at center. Listen, if this guys has to sit on the bench even for a year, that's a year of experience of not having these guys form a chemistry. I've already chucked this coming year up to "getting aquainted"...so, throw them into the fire, that's the only way we'll develop a line that clicks as one.

JFL look at the Tuna's line Fabini,Young,Thomas etc.The only real Vet was Mawae! Good Coaching(Which we have now) will have this Line and Team firing on all cylinders by opening Day!;) Mangini will play the BEST Players not just the old Vets!:cheers:

Adrian Jones could hit the weights hard this offseason and I think he has the potential to be a decent RT. Then again if he doesn't pan out, then he's a fine backup LT, and we can always look for a good RT (which are easier to find than LT) in the middle or back end of next years draft. In other words, its not the end of the world, PeterFoley.

Adrian Jones could hit the weights hard this offseason and I think he has the potential to be a decent RT. Then again if he doesn't pan out, then he's a fine backup LT, and we can always look for a good RT (which are easier to find than LT) in the middle or back end of next years draft. In other words, its not the end of the world, PeterFoley.

I'd like to see Jones continue to improve, but I think he just is not the answer. The good thing is we have many guys across that line that can play many different positions, so it gives us flexibility in case of injuries, which I hope are cyclical because I cannot take another year like last year on the injury front.

I actually believe that in the NFL now you basically need two LTs. The days of the big road grader RT are nearing an end imo, with the NFL being more and more pass-happy every year. With the way the rules are now, it seems like most of the best NFL teams primarily pass, and only run as a chance of pace. I think it's good to get a big powerback for short yardage situations, rather than have a big run-blocking line that can't pass block as well. If you looked at the playoffs last year, the teams that could protect the QB the best usually won. Running games more or less dissappeared in the playoffs, just as they usually do against elite competition in general. I actually absolutely love the idea of Jones at RT, and believe he can become an anchor there for years to come. Originally I thought we'd need a bit RT, such as McNeill, but now I think our current O-line could really be awesome. I expect Teague at RG as I said in an earlier thread. I like the idea of Kendall and Teague filling the guard spots, to help the younger players come along. Teague may need to be replaced in a year or two, but Kendall has a few more years atleast.

Why does everyone think that Jones is a natural LT? AJ plays the right side, and he'll be a solid starter at RT for years.

Jones sucked at RT last year. He played better at LT, a position he had 0 experience in. I think he could have developed into a decent-good LT. He is a finesse blocker, not a big mauler.

Every spot is on the line in camp.

Trey Teague is the wildcard because he started his career as a left tackle and can also play guard. Obviously he is an experienced center, so if anyone falters on the o-line. He can slide right into any of those spots.

Kendall and Moore proved to be good run blockers in 04 but more as blockers on the move than head on.

I agree with the idea that The Jets should have a strong pass blocking offensive line.

The Jets have to cater to their talent and their talent right now dictates that they may have the most athletic offensive line in the league. All these guys are 300 pounders but they are very agile. Remember Adrian Jones and D'Brick are former TE's. Jones may be the fastest tackle in the league. He ran a 4.7 coming out of college.

With The Jets new conditioning program and the new mandatory emphasis on player training. The line should be in shape and strong. Players weren't forced to strength train last season, They will be this year.

I disagree with the idea that Nick Mangold is not a good run blocker. LOL... That's funny. Try watching some of the games next time. College football airs on saturdays during the season. Watch some of the games.

Every spot is on the line in camp.

Trey Teague is the wildcard because he started his career as a left tackle and can also play guard. Obviously he is an experienced center, so if anyone falters on the o-line. He can slide right into any of those spots.

Kendall and Moore proved to be good run blockers in 04 but more as blockers on the move than head on.

I agree with the idea that The Jets should have a strong pass blocking offensive line.

The Jets have to cater to their talent and their talent right now dictates that they may have the most athletic offensive line in the league. All these guys are 300 pounders but they are very agile. Remember Adrian Jones and D'Brick are former TE's. Jones may be the fastest tackle in the league. He ran a 4.7 coming out of college.

With The Jets new conditioning program and the new mandatory emphasis on player training. The line should be in shape and strong. Players weren't forced to strength train last season, They will be this year.

I disagree with the idea that Nick Mangold is not a good run blocker. LOL... That's funny. Try watching some of the games next time. College football airs on saturdays during the season. Watch some of the games.

I'm not saying Mangold is a bad run blocker, but he isn't going to be a good drive blocker straight away in the NFL. He hasn't seen the likes of an NFL 3-4 nose tackle yet. The part of his run blocking that I think is very good is in space, pulling and going outside. I've seen plenty of Mangold play.... against non NFL caliber tackles. He was good, not great in college in the power run blocking department. Shove the "try watching some games" comment where the sun doesn't shine. :D

And, I absolutely GARANTEE that barring an injury, Ferguson WILL start at LT, even if Teague or anyone else looks a little better in the preseason. that is as ure as the sun coming up tomorrow. Period.

JFL look at the Tuna's line Fabini,Young,Thomas etc.The only real Vet was Mawae! Good Coaching(Which we have now) will have this Line and Team firing on all cylinders by opening Day!;) Mangini will play the BEST Players not just the old Vets!:cheers:

Good coaching? The Jets OL coach is Tony Wise.

It's silly to think Mangold and D'Brick will come out and dominate every play in every game next yr. Every rookie makes mistakes. These 2 will be no different.

I think everybody needs to realize this yr is a wash. Ive chalked it up to the rebuilding/Learning process. I think this yr and next yr are going to be very important in building a foundation for the future of Jets. You can't just change an entire organization from the FO to the coaching staff and expect results in yr 1.

He has a much better resume then your Flim Flam Man Hermie!!:rolleyes:

Wise, 54, joins the Jets after most recently coaching the offensive line for the Miami Dolphins in 2001-2004. In 2002, his unit helped pave the way for an AFC best 156.5 yards rushing per game. Prior to joining Miami he served in the same capacity with the Carolina Panthers (1999-2000) after spending six seasons with the Chicago Bears, four of which he also served as the assistant head coach. Wise entered the NFL in 1989 with the Dallas Cowboys and worked on Head Coach Jimmy Johnson’s staff until the completion of the 1992 season. Wise then departed for Chicago where he first served as

the Bears’ offensive line coach from 1993-1994 and then added the duties of assistant head coach to his responsibilities through the 1998 season before taking the offensive line position with the Panthers. Wise, a former offensive lineman at Ithaca College, is a native of Newtonville, NY and began his coaching career in 1973 at Albany State, then spent a year at Bridgeport, Central Connecticut and Washington State before moving onto the University of Pittsburgh (1977-1978) before heading to Oklahoma State (1979-1983), Syracuse (1984), and the University of Miami (1985-1988). Wise earned a Super Bowl trophy in XXVI with the Cowboys’ win over the Buffalo Bills.

That Tony Wise guy has a superbowl ring and coached one of the best offensive lines in The entire decade of The 90's in Dallas.

I'm not saying Mangold is a bad run blocker, but he isn't going to be a good drive blocker straight away in the NFL. He hasn't seen the likes of an NFL 3-4 nose tackle yet. The part of his run blocking that I think is very good is in space, pulling and going outside. I've seen plenty of Mangold play.... against non NFL caliber tackles. He was good, not great in college in the power run blocking department. Shove the "try watching some games" comment where the sun doesn't shine. :D

And, I absolutely GARANTEE that barring an injury, Ferguson WILL start at LT, even if Teague or anyone else looks a little better in the preseason. that is as ure as the sun coming up tomorrow. Period.

First, Let's get to Nick Mangold. Your take on Mangold is a good one. It's pretty much what most scouting reports said about him. All scouting reports gave Mangold an extremely strong grade. Many had him as The 2nd best lineman in the entire draft. Some thought he was the most complete lineman coming out of the draft.

I disagree however with those that he's not a good run blocker. That's off the mark in my opinion. You didn't specifically state that but some people do. Mangold is a nasty,strong and smart football player. He got better every year at Ohio State. To be a good run blocker, You need strength and size yes but you need good technique. Mangold is a technician. He dominated players in college because of his great handwork, leverage and balance. I've heard the "can't move space eaters" knock against Mangold but I watched him dominant every single DT in one on one drills at the senior bowl. In his senior year, He did not have any problems moving anyone. That includes Gabe Watson or whomever else was in his path.

As for D'Brick. Alot of highly touted left tackle prospects started out their careers at different o-line spots than left tackle like a Jonathan Ogden for example. If I were a betting man, I too would say that Ferguson is going to be the opening day starter at LT but nothing is set in stone. LT and Center are the two hardest o-line position to fill or to adjust to in the pros. It wouldn't shock me if Ferguson starts out at RT and if Mangold starts out at guard. It's possible not likely but possible. As for Trey Teague, My suggestion wasn't that he's going to be our left tackle. My mere point is that if any of he projected starters at tackle, guard or center struggle. Teague can start at all 5 spots. That's the value that he brings. Best case scenario,. Teague is our top backup at every o-line spot.

Maybe we can devote all of next year's draft to solidifying the right side of our line? Neglect everything else like we did this year?

Nah, the Jets will take a left-handed PennyBoyWonder next year because they passed on one this year.:eek:

You win in the NFL by dominating both sides of the football on the Oline and DLine.

It's silly to think Mangold and D'Brick will come out and dominate every play in every game next yr. Every rookie makes mistakes. These 2 will be no different.

Great point, and I agree 100%.

Both Mangold and D'Brick will definitely have their great moments next season.

But they will also make rookie mistakes, it is bound to happen.

Unfortunately, when rookie OLinemen make mistakes, somebody could get killed.

For the love of mercy, that could have been the lamest post in the history of this message board.:eek:

that is the nicest thing you have ever said to me, tx... a small tear is forming in my eye.... i am ferklempt.

:lol:

Come hell or high water, Ferguson will start at LT. they used a 4 to get him. Barring an injury, even Mangini would not bench Brick.... no way.

The Raiders used a 2 on Robert Gallery and years later he still can't start at LT. We needed a big strong Kareem Mackenzie-type RT a lot more than we needed another finesse LT.

Move Adrian Jones to RT and watch the running game go down the tubes just like it did early last year when he started there. Jones should either start at LT or back-up Ferguson there. Clement should start at RT though he isn't much more of a run blocker than either Ferguson or Jones. Expecting Jones to hit the weights and put on 30 lbs is a pipe dream.

Mangini does not know what he wants to do about the right side of the line. There isn't a good RT on the roster and Brandon Moore is a question mark even though I think he can bounce back. That's you see him now trying out Mangold at RG or RT.

Archived