Pats say they will not trade TE Graham

faba

This trade rumor had to be bogus from day one and I will tell you why:

1) Graham is one of the best blocking TE's in the game. With the injuries to the left of our O-line, Graham was crucial in keeping Brady alive.

2) When he's "on" (catching and running after the catch) he's definietly on.

3) Watson - A potential Star - needs Graham in order to do his "thing"

4) NE TE's will be in many sets where they play WR. You'll see.

4) Leilie is a pain in the azz - BB just got rid of one (Bethel) - why would he trade for another one?

I really hate most Boston sports writers.

The best ones leave.

That trade makes no sense.

Even a straight one for one, would be totally in Denver's favor. Throwing in more picks would be stupidly slantyed in their favor.

It says Broncos broached the subkect. I wonder if it was SHanahan trying to shut Leilie up?

I really hate most Boston sports writers.

The best ones leave.

That trade makes no sense.

Even a straight one for one, would be totally in Denver's favor. Throwing in more picks would be stupidly slantyed in their favor.

It says Broncos broached the subkect. I wonder if it was SHanahan trying to shut Leilie up?

You hate 'em? I live here. They think they are rock stars in this town. They create controversy so they become the story. They throw stuff out there to get attention. They are arrogant. They go on Sports Talk radio to push their own celebrity. There are only two Pats beat writers they get my repsect: Tom Curren (Providence Journal) and Mike Reiss (Boston Globe) - and I LOVED Michael Smith when he was the Globe Pats writer (now he's Mr. ESPN). The rest are junk.

You hate 'em? I live here. They think they are rock stars in this town. They create controversy so they become the story. They throw stuff out there to get attention. They are arrogant. They go on Sports Talk radio to push their own celebrity. There are only two Pats beat writers they get my repsect: Tom Curren (Patriot Ledger) and Mike Reiss (Boston Globe) - and I LOVED Michael Smith when he was the Globe Pate reporter (now he's Mr. ESPN). The rest are junk.

I agree a 110%.

With Smith gone, Curran and Reiss are easily the best. There is no contest.

Why would it be nuts for NE to trade Graham? He caught a grand total of 16 passes last year and has just 99 in his five-year career. I understand you need solid blocking at TE, but I think it's worth trading a blocking TE for a starting WR any day.

Much of this is posturing by both teams. Denver always plays hard ball with hold-outs, and the Pats have issues with Branch. Both teams want to show their hold-outs that they are more than willing to move on without them. The Pats have the most to lose as they need Branch, and the Walker deal leaves Lelie with no leverage at all.

The Jets should explore a move for Lelie. He has not been a chronic head case like many have portrayed. He thought he would have the #1 WR role handed to him when Rod Smith retired, and then Walker was signed. He's got great speed and can do more than was asked of him in Denver. The Jets need someone WR. McCareins should not be starting.

Why would it be nuts for NE to trade Graham? He caught a grand total of 16 passes last year and has just 99 in his five-year career. I understand you need solid blocking at TE, but I think it's worth trading a blocking TE for a starting WR any day.

Do you have any idea why Graham hasn't caught more passes than he has? Because the left side of the line has been decimated for the last two seasons and he has been forced to stay in and block on nearly every play. Have you ever seen Graham once he gets his hands on a pass? There isn't any single player that is going to bring him down. Graham for Lelie straight up would have been a downright steal for the Broncos.

While Graham is a very good blocker, I've also heard that the Pats have been somwhat disappointed in him, and drafted Thomas for Graham's impending entry into next year's FA pool. That is something I got from several die hard (and pretty well informed) Pats fans.

Having said that, I can't see a Lelie for Graham deal either. Lelie dropped more TD passes than he caught last year (I think he dropped at least 3 sure TD passes). While I think a trade including Graham is a possibilty, it won't be for Lelie.

Do you have any idea why Graham hasn't caught more passes than he has? Because the left side of the line has been decimated for the last two seasons and he has been forced to stay in and block on nearly every play. Have you ever seen Graham once he gets his hands on a pass? There isn't any single player that is going to bring him down. Graham for Lelie straight up would have been a downright steal for the Broncos.

I have seen Graham once he gets his hands on the ball, but that's because I watch a ton of games. Most people probably haven't since he is on a pace of less than two catches per game for his career. Their OL must have been decimated for each of his five seasons.

He must be highly thought of since the Pats have only drafted three other players at his position since his rookie season. If he was that good, they could have used those picks to fix their OL.

The point is that it will be harder to find a productive WR than it will be to replace Graham's blocking.

I have seen Graham once he gets his hands on the ball, but that's because I watch a ton of games. Most people probably haven't since he is on a pace of less than two catches per game for his career. Their OL must have been decimated for each of his five seasons.

He must be highly thought of since the Pats have only drafted three other players at his position since his rookie season. If he was that good, they could have used those picks to fix their OL.

The point is that it will be harder to find a productive WR than it will be to replace Graham's blocking.

Graham had 38 catches in 03' and 30 in 04' with 7 tds. Considering how much the Patriots spread the ball around, that's not bad at all. The only years he didn't produce was his rookie year when he was injured and last season when we spent more time blocking. The fact that they have drafted three more players at TE means nothing other than they are adding depth at that position. If Belichick wasn't impressed with him, he wouldn't be on the field. I don't know if you noticed, but Herm Edwards isn't our head coach.

I still would never trade Graham for Lelie. Sure, a starting WR is hard to find but so is an underachieving head case and I don't want him anywhere near the Patriots. By the way, Lelie's catch per game ratio isn't a whole lot better and he can't block anywhere near as well as Graham. I won't even get started on the 15 TDs that Graham has compared to Lelie's 12.

The only years he didn't produce was his rookie year when he was injured and last season when we spent more time blocking.

I just remember all the Colts games over the last couple of seasons.

The first couple of pass plays, Freeney blows right around Matt Light and Brady gets killed.

Graham was on the left side of the line for the rest of the game without running a pass route.

I just remember all the Colts games over the last couple of seasons.

The first couple of pass plays, Freeney blows right around Matt Light and Brady gets killed.

Graham was on the left side of the line for the rest of the game without running a pass route.

Exactly.

Light is a good LT, but he is not Ogden or one of the other premier LTs. He needs help with speed rushers. No better way then to play 10 vs 11 then line-up a speed rusher in the form of Freeney or Abraham against Light. You all but gurantee Graham staying in on most plays.

Put Graham on the Chiefs or Colts and he could easily be 60-70 catch TE. Put Gonzalez on the Patriots and he could easily be a 20 catch TE, but Brady is probably on the DL more.

Archived