Bollinger made the correct call....didn't he?

Fred Jetstone

After reading this article, it dawned on me that something may be rotten in the state of in Jetmark, or Manginimark.

With loud noise and confusion, a QB is taught to take a timeout and regroup, don't force any mistakes. In some circles it's called clock management.

Mangini scolds Bollinger for calling a justified timeout? Why?

Some sort of anti-Bollingerism may have infested the camp. I hope not. The only reasonable explanation I can think of is that Mangini, having already decided that Brooks is his guy, wants to toughen him up, ready him for the season. Tough love. Must be.

Mangini works his players into shape

ANDREA ADELSON

Associated Press

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. - Jets quarterback Brooks Bollinger tried to get his teammates lined up during a drill in practice Thursday morning, but started running out of time.

With music blaring to simulate crowd noise, Bollinger signaled for a timeout to try and regroup. New coach Eric Mangini had none of it, shouting there was no need to waste a precious timeout. He sent Bollinger and every other player on offense around the field to run a lap, the usual penalty for making a mistake.

Welcome to Camp Mangini, where the weather is hot, and the livin' is not so easy.

A week into his first training camp as a head coach, Mangini has made practice almost unbearable for the players. With temperatures soaring and the head index over 100, he has not relented on the length of practice - Thursday morning was the shortest so far, clocking in at 2 hours, 11 minutes.

During practice, Mangini expects perfection. If a player makes a mistake or gets flagged, they must run a lap. If the team messes up during a play, it must be run over and over again until the players get it right. What happened with Bollinger is par for the course during the hard-nosed camp.

"It was one of those situations where you had the heat, you had the noise, we were in more of an attack mode and whatever the reason was, those are the things we are going to have to deal with," Mangini said. "The answer can't always be a timeout. There has to be another answer."

Mangini has made it a point to work on many game situations during training camp. Early, it was work in the red zone. Then work on third downs. The last few practices, the Jets have worked on the 2-minute drill - with music blaring from loudspeakers.

From rap to rock, the Black Eyed Peas to Bon Jovi blasting, Mangini wants his players to focus and work on communication when it is difficult to think, hear and concentrate. Chad Pennington directed beautiful scoring drives Tuesday and Wednesday nights with the music blaring, seeming to thrive in the stressful conditions.

It also helps get the players motivated.

"It gets us ready for game-time situations," linebacker Jonathan Vilma said. "Especially at home, if we're winning, in a 2-minute situation the crowd's going to be cheering. We need a little bit of that as well as the offense."

As players have gotten used to what Mangini wants, the practices have been cleaner. In the first practice last Friday, Pennington threw two interceptions on his first three passes. Now, he has emerged as the top candidate to win the starting job, and looks confident in the new offense.

Everyone looks more comfortable all around.

"I've expected it to be tough and it's been tough," Vilma said. "I expected him to be very stern with us and he's been that way with us. We're adjusting and we're doing a good job. You can see practices are going smoother, we're getting a lot more done in practice and it's very competitive."

The atmosphere could not be more different from former coach Herm Edwards. The new Chiefs coach was more laid-back, maxing out practices at 2 hours. The Jets' complex came to be known as "Club Ed." Players who are rehabbing were allowed to stand with their teammates and watch practice.

Now, most players who are injured must work out and rehab on the field during practice, in the heat and humidity. There are exercise bikes set up in one corner of the field for them to do work, and trainers also put them through various exercises. Veterans Curtis Martin and Trey Teague are allowed to rehab indoors.

Cornerback Ray Mickens, going into his 11th season and 10th with the Jets, said there have been no complaints yet about the intense workouts. Everyone seems to be buying into Camp Mangini.

"I don't think any veterans are grumbling," Mickens said. "This is part of the process. If you don't want to work hard, then how can you expect to have a good season? We're looking forward to it, we know it's going to be hard work but we're up for the challenge."

no it was the wrong choice, in a game with say less than a minute left you probably wont have any timeouts left, and if u do you wouldnt wanna waste it on that. if he cant cut it in a 3rd string training camp 2minute drill with blasting music, u think he can cut infront of 50,000+ in a 2 minute drill

Fred:

I doubt there is any anti-brooks sentiment building among the coaching staff at camp. From reports, he just doesnt seem to be getting done consistently enough,

In a game situation near the end of the game there are times when calling a timeout is the correct call and when calling a time out is the wrong call. If you have two time outs and your just outside of field goal range down by 2 with a minute left its probably the right call. If your in the same situation and you only have one timeout its not such a good call. I think Mangini wanted to see them call the play and make it work. I think his frustration was with Brooks inability to get the play off rather than in his decision to call the time out. My guess is that what got Brooks in trouble in the instance in question was that he seemed too willing to call the TO and therefor he didnt seem committed enough to doing what it took to ger the play off.

Wasting a time-out can very easily cost you a game. And being forced to call one, 'cus you can't get the play going in time, IS to waste a time-out.

Mangini should be angry.

Isn't it funny that Bolly is made to run laps? Seeing as running is the only thing he's actually good at? ;-)

(not that any of this matters. Bolly's only chance to make the squad for this season, is that at least one of the other QB's gets a serious injury.)

why who even cares? he`ll make the practice squad if hes lucky.

He's not practice squad eligible.

And to Fred Jetstone: Taking a timeout when it's not to stop the clock to run another play near the end of the half or the game is UNACCEPTABLE. If they are late getting to the line, it's the QBs fault, plain and simple.

No, Bollinger did not make the right call. However, in a month or so his new play calls are going to be, "Would you like Fries with that?", so he should be able to get that in the 40 second playclock in time.

did that guy really say "irregardless"?

that's so weird my brother and sister were talking about that "word" being used by teachers at my niece's school-it was a big part of a discussion we had at a seafood restaurant in Philly when I was up there.

Maybe this means that we might actually have time-outs left at the end of the game. Time after time last year, TO's were squandered because nobody knew what the hell they were doing. It's the attention to detail that makes a difference in a lot of close games.

He's not practice squad eligible.

And to Fred Jetstone: Taking a timeout when it's not to stop the clock to run another play near the end of the half or the game is UNACCEPTABLE. If they are late getting to the line, it's the QBs fault, plain and simple.

No, Bollinger did not make the right call. However, in a month or so his new play calls are going to be, "Would you like Fries with that?", so he should be able to get that in the 40 second playclock in time.

:baby:

Irregardless of all these smart-aleck comments, Bollinger will win the starting job.

Irregardless of a biased coaching staff, Bollinger will win the starting job.

Irregardless of batted balls, timeouts, size, haters, systems, schemes, the whole kit-and-kaboodle of odds-against-it, yes, irregardless of all that, say it with me now, BOLLINGER WILL WIN THE STARTING JOB!

Irregardless of all these smart-aleck comments, Bollinger will win the starting job.

Irregardless of batted balls, timeouts, size, haters, systems, schemes, the whole kit-and-kaboodle of odds-against-it, yes, irregardless of all that, say it with me now, BOLLINGER WILL WIN THE STARTING JOB!

:rolleyes: ok it was funny for the first 1398 posts, but now its just getting stupid.

So basically its ok with you if the guy doesnt have the confidence of his coaches or team mates, doesnt understand the offensive scheme of his own team or the defensive scheme of the opponents, cant throw the ball over the D Line consistently, and wastes time outs. As long as he starts you dont care if he stinks?

Personally, I just want the QB who gives the Jets the best chance to win to be on the field whether its Brooks, Chad, Patrick or Kellen.

Personally, I just want the QB who gives the Jets the best chance to win to be on the field whether its Brooks, Chad, Patrick or Kellen.

Me too. I'm not speaking from bias, but from analysis.

My football instincts tell me that Bolly is a diamond-in-the-rough prospect with pro-bowl potential. A chance is all he needs.

Me too. I'm not speaking from bias, but from analysis.

My football instincts tell me that Bolly is a diamond-in-the-rough prospect with pro-bowl potential. A chance is all he needs.

His chances may be dwindling. I understand Chad had another good

outing today in a simulated scrimmage at Giant Stadium.

A simulated scrimmage is one thing, holding up over week-after-week is quite another.

I think Chad's resurgence is a great stroy though. Go Chad. There's no shame in being Bollywood's backup.

I think Mangini is letting this Qb competition go too far. Barring

another injury to Chad its his job. I'll give you there's a chance that

bolly could be his back up because Ramsey rarely shows anything

when he's in there.

Ray Lucas could and would do a better job of running the practice squad, kick Bolly to the curb, the Niners need a 3rd string . . . .

The Niners need a 1st and 2nd string as well, but that's another issue ;)

Archived