McCarins for Duckett?

CoachTsurfing

Done. Crotchery's clearly won the #2 slot anyway, and Dwight figures to be the possession/flanker guy and Newhouse so far has impressed. Mccareins for all his physcial ability gave up on more passes than any receiver I've ever seen.

I don't see any downside on that one, a trade of a position with depth for something we need, a younger player, no loss of a draft pick, and TJ is arguably the better of the 2 players. From what I've seen of his play style and stats he seems to fit in the Martin role and can be an every down back for us. If JMac is all they want, then they need to pull the trigger on this deal and never look back.

:box:

I don't see any downside on that one, a trade of a position with depth for something we need, a younger player, no loss of a draft pick, and TJ is arguably the better of the 2 players. From what I've seen of his play style and stats he seems to fit in the Martin role and can be an every down back for us. If JMac is all they want, then they need to pull the trigger on this deal and never look back.

The downside is we essentially pay Duckett $4M in terms of cap space next year (salary plus $3M of JMac's cap hit). And we're probably going to draft a RB high next year after the OL's had time to gel & get over rookie inexperience.

ATL can't be that stupid. Can they?

They were pretty devastated when they lost Finnernan. Vick is a pretty sub-par passer & sure could use a 6'2 veteran WR with some speed.

But JMac has a pretty hefty salary for a mediocre guy (avg ~$3M/yr). OTOH, they don't have to pay him a SB, but would take a little bit of a hit for the remainder of Duckett's 1st-round rookie SB since he's got 2 yrs left on his deal. So JMac would effectively cost Atl $3-4M/yr until the 2008 season. Don't know if they want to sign up for that.

GET Michael Turner. he's SO MUCH better then duckett.

No chance of this happening. He is LT2's backup since they just lost Darren Sproles. The consider themselves contenders this year & they're not going to dump Turner for a mid-round draft pick next year.

The downside is we essentially pay Duckett $4M in terms of cap space next year (salary plus $3M of JMac's cap hit). And we're probably going to draft a RB high next year after the OL's had time to gel & get over rookie inexperience.

I'd just as well save that money rather then paying duckett like a premier back. he's not close to that.

As usual Spermy your the champ, the man with all the info, I didn't even think of the cap hit. When you put it that way getting any RB now, unless he's 24 or under, would be pointless since we hope to get a young stud next year in another deep RB class.

As usual Spermy your the champ, the man with all the info, I didn't even think of the cap hit. When you put it that way getting any RB now, unless he's 24 or under, would be pointless since we hope to get a young stud next year in another deep RB class.

we don't HAVE to draft a RB next year... i just wouldn't give duckett that much money.

That's what made the Suggs deal so nice with trading Strait. There was just about zero cap hit so we only pay the new player's salary, which is low for either Duckett or Suggs.
there has to be other trades like that available instead of pissing away money on a bad player like duckett...

I dont see too many teams parting with a running back of Ducketts ability.With all the injuries in the NFL teams keep the backups look at the Washington situation Portis injured in preseason.If the Jets have the opportunity to get him they should.Manginin will not go with what he currently has.NO WAY

I dont see too many teams parting with a running back of Ducketts ability.With all the injuries in the NFL teams keep the backups look at the Washington situation Portis injured in preseason.If the Jets have the opportunity to get him they should.Manginin will not go with what he currently has.NO WAY

i think you are overrating duckett's ability.

Well the question is should we trade, should we see where our last 2 RB picks can take us then re-assess next year, or try to find the new number one through a trade. There are plenty of backups out there who are capable and solid starters, they are good just not as good as the number one on their team right now. Duckett, Turner, Betts...heck I could go on, there is probably a back on each team that would be helpful now.

The questions are

Which ones are upgrades over what we currently have,?

Which ones are not gonna dent the cap that much in the long run?

Which ones are at a low risk for injury?

Which ones are not going to cost us a lot to get?

Which ones could possible negate the need to get a RB in the first round next year, letting us focus on Defence?

So as long as we can find someone who is better than who we have on roster, doesn't have too high of a salary or cause a major cap hit, isn't going to get injured halfway through the season, isn't going to cost us an arm and a leg to get in a trade, and we could use them as a starter for the next 3-5 years then I say go for it, if not stick with what we have.

Remeber while doing nothing gets you nothing, it also costs you nothing and sometimes the best move is the safe move.

i think you are overrating duckett's ability.

And I think your underrating Duckett's ability.

The guy would be perfect for us. He's a big bruiser with a lot of talent that we could lean upon during the winter months.

The guy has 31 rushing TD's in just 4 years of limited action.

We'd be crazy not to trade McCareins for Duckett.

I feel like Blaylock can't handle the load. I know Houston did a decent job the last four games of the season but I won't someone in there that can go all year. The reason I put McCarins on the trade block instead of Straight was I felt Straight had more upside at the safety position. He did a pretty good job in the Jets pre-season game. I know McCarins would be a bigger cap hit, but as far as players I would rather get rid of it was McCarins by far. Everyone that said draft a running back early got hammered saying the Jets can find one in the later rounds. Don't waste a draft pick on a RB, they are a dime a dozen. Well now we are finding out that might not be the case. Thinking just for this season, I think we should trade a player for player. Not give up a draft pick. So, what other RB is out there that would look good in green?

Unless we have some other place to spend the cap hit for this year, it is meaningless. if we draft a RB then Duckett becomes a short yardage/3rd down back and maybe more. He is a type we have not had for quite a while-a bull and one with some speed for his size/power.

Archived