Stephen A. Smith

Jack Straw

Despite the fact that he chimes in on subjects he doesn't understand (e.g. football), I have to commend this guy; he pulls no punches in his interviews. I never liked him, but he's growing on me.

In his interview with Pete Rose, Steven A. Smifff asked him good, tough questions. At one point of the interview, after Smiff nailed him with some hard questions, Rose responded "I'm gonna hit you, bringing up all these bad memories......I'm just kidding."

For a minute there, it didn't look like Rose was kidding. Anyway, Smiff is okay --for the moment-- in my book.

BTW, I don't mean to bring up the Rose vs. Hall of Fame Case Study again. That's a beaten subject.

He's starting to grow on me a little too. I think he might have calmed down just a little bit. Before I used to literally get a headache sometimes watching his show, now it doesn't seem as bad. Anyway, who has the most hits in the history of the game? Oh, right. Pete Rose. He should be in the HoF, period. I don't see what the point of waiting until he's dead is, that could be 30 or 40 more years, its petty.

Personally I feel they should let Rose in but MLB can't do it. They'd be setting a horrible example and undermining their own authority. As tough as it is to do Pete Rose's ban should stay. You need to make sure future players/coaches have some sense of determent.

Personally I feel they should let Rose in but MLB can't do it. They'd be setting a horrible example and undermining their own authority. As tough as it is to do Pete Rose's ban should stay. You need to make sure future players/coaches have some sense of determent.

Imo, losing their jobs and not being able to come back would be detrimental enough. Just because he's allowed into the hall of fame doesn't mean he should be able to coach again. I think he should if anyone wants him to, but I don't really care about that. The fact that the guy with the most hits all time, one of only 2 guys to have over 4000 hits isn't in the HoF is ridiculous.

Imo, losing their jobs and not being able to come back would be detrimental enough. Just because he's allowed into the hall of fame doesn't mean he should be able to coach again. I think he should if anyone wants him to, but I don't really care about that. The fact that the guy with the most hits all time, one of only 2 guys to have over 4000 hits isn't in the HoF is ridiculous.

I am with BO on this.

I am opposed to him being enshrined when he is alive. His lifetime ban should be for his lifetime. As Jetlag said, a bad precedent can be set by allowing him in.

He should be on his death bed and a member of MLB should come up to him and say, "After you die. You will regain your eligibility. Maybe you get voted in and maybe you do not. That is the fate you carry with you to the grave."

Remember that pete Rose the player did not violate any rules that govern baseball. Pete Rose the manager did however. The fact of the matter is there are tons of HOFers that have committed crimes far worse that Rose ever did. No bad precedent would be set because of that simple fact. In fact, most of the new crop of players heading to the HOF in the next 20 years or so will have accomplished that feat while taking steroids, a far worse crime against baseball than Pete Rose ever committed. Their crimes have altered the record books and degraded the heroes of the game.

Personally I think Rose is an idiot. He doesn't seem like the brightest guy in the world and he obviously has made some stupid decisions throughout his life. But his accomplishments as a player added to the fact that he never violated any rules as a player make him a HOFer in my mind.

Remember that pete Rose the player did not violate any rules that govern baseball. Pete Rose the manager did however. The fact of the matter is there are tons of HOFers that have committed crimes far worse that Rose ever did. No bad precedent would be set because of that simple fact. In fact, most of the new crop of players heading to the HOF in the next 20 years or so will have accomplished that feat while taking steroids, a far worse crime against baseball than Pete Rose ever committed. Their crimes have altered the record books and degraded the heroes of the game.

Personally I think Rose is an idiot. He doesn't seem like the brightest guy in the world and he obviously has made some stupid decisions throughout his life. But his accomplishments as a player added to the fact that he never violated any rules as a player make him a HOFer in my mind.

Boozer, I agree with you that Pete Rose isn't the sharpest tool in the box...however, you also mentioned that Rose the player didn't violate any rules that govern baseball and Rose the manager did. Do you really think that he started betting only when he became a manager?

Rose, the player always thought (probably still does with that smug attitude of his) he was bigger than the game...no one player is bigger than the game.

You have to remember one thing and it's well documented...baseball hates betting and that's the reason why I think this jerk will never sniff the HOF.

There may be worse crimes, but there is no crime that should be more likely to keep you from being HOF eligilbe than betting on games. Shoeless Joe and Rose did the worst things you could do to baseball, IMO. Not the worst things, just the worst things to baseball. If Bonds retires, goes into coaching and gets convicted of using steroids as a mananger are you going to say he never violated any rules as a player?

Boozer, I agree with you that Pete Rose isn't the sharpest tool in the box...however, you also mentioned that Rose the player didn't violate any rules that govern baseball and Rose the manager did. Do you really think that he started betting only when he became a manager?

Do I THINK he was betting as a player, of course I do. Is there proof? No. Do I THINK Barry Bonds is/was on steroids? I'd bet my house on it. Do I think he still goes to the hall, of course. Barry Bonds has done far more to embarrass baseball than Pete Rose ever could.

Do I THINK he was betting as a player, of course I do. Is there proof? No. Do I THINK Barry Bonds is/was on steroids? I'd bet my house on it. Do I think he still goes to the hall, of course. Barry Bonds has done far more to embarrass baseball than Pete Rose ever could.

Betting is far worse than the steroid issue...far worse. Baseball cringes everytime betting and baseball are in the same sentence. Hell, Mickey Mantle and Willy Mays got thrown out of baseball for a year (maybe longer) just for greeting people at a Las Vegas gambling joint.

And you have to remember, Joe Jackson was barred from baseball in that Black Sox incident and they never even proved he bet...look at his stats from that series. I hate to see what his stats would have been if he took money...they are sick stats.

Back to Smith, I can't listen to him on the radio anymore. I tried, but his constant yelling and ranting in that phoney ghetto style just irks me, not to mention his lack of knowledge in most sports besides basketball. Actually had to go back to WFAN for that portion of the day....

Betting is far worse than the steroid issue...far worse.

Wrongfully so. The reason betting is such a big issue is because it stemmed from a time where players did not make a whole lot just from playing. There was a temptation for players to throw games in order to win bets. In the era that Rose was betting, that was not an issue anymore.

Rose obviously bet on baseball as a manager. Do I think he bet on the Reds, probably not but who knows. Do I think he bet against the Reds, absolutely not. One thing about Rose was for sure, he was far too much of a competitor to actually throw a game.

In essense Rose's gambling didn not affect baseball as it could have back in the early to mid 1900's. That is why it is not nearly as big of an issue IMO as the steroids scandal surrounding baseball today. Betting by players and managers in the earlier days had a real effect on baseball because players actually needed the money and had a temptation to throw games. That affects the sanctity of the game itself. Today steroids has that same effect. It affects the records of baseball such as the HR record, it affects the W/L record of teams if players are better simply because they are using an illegal substance, and it could potentially be keeping young non-users who otherwise would be playing baseball out of the game since they may not be as good as the player who is using it. The effects of steroids today is AT LEAST as big as gambling was back in the day.

I can't stand when Stephen. A. Smith talks with Sean Salisbury. Every time they speak, the conversation goes something like this:

Stephen A. Smith: So Sean, how did your fantasy football team perform last week against my team?

Sean Salisbury: Yo Dog, this shizzle was a fluke. My team ain't be done did like that in a minute, YO! But be careful, dog, you play with fire and you're gonna get bit by the guard dog. Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Stephen A. Smith: Your team is wack

Sean Salisbury: Don't play me like that Smiff, don't play a brotha like that.

Someone needs to remind Salisbury that he isn't black. If spoke that every day, I wouldn't care; but c'mon, man. It's seriously insulting when you talk like an idiot just because you're talking to Stephen A. Smiff.

Fixed games and steroids. It's just like pro wrestling. I'm with JFF on this one. There is nothing baseball is worried about than thrown games. That's why there's no team in Vegas. Bad as juice may be, it is taken to win games, not lose them.

And yet Rose has more hits than anyone in the history of the game. I wonder how big his lead would be in that category if he didn't (as you imply) throw games?

Who said he threw games on the offense...maybe his defense threw games...I don't think Rose was a gold glove machine.

That's a valid point. However - I saw many Reds' games back in the day and cannot for the life of me recall 1 time where he pulled a Bill Buckner while manning the infield. He did have 213 errors in 24 years though but most of those came in the early 60's. He's just one of those guys to me that seemed to be all about winning at any cost. If he bet on his own team (denied by Rose and never proven one way or the other) I'd be very surprised. Guess none of us will ever know the answer to that one.

And yet Rose has more hits than anyone in the history of the game. I wonder how big his lead would be in that category if he didn't (as you imply) throw games?

The issue isn't throwing games, it's gambling. If you gamble the threat of throwing games goes way up. Gambling makes it look to the general public like you throw games. See Hal Chase and the black sox. Who cares how many hits he got? Does that mean it's okay for Pete Rose to gamble on games but not Felix Milan, Brian Doyle or Mark Belanger?

Back to Smith, I can't listen to him on the radio anymore. I tried, but his constant yelling and ranting in that phoney ghetto style just irks me, not to mention his lack of knowledge in most sports besides basketball. Actually had to go back to WFAN for that portion of the day....

Once they moved Brandon Tierney out, I had to go back too.

I think that he's said that he bet on his own team, but never against them. Personally, I doubt that he ever threw a game. Same as I doubt Shoeless Joe did. Sure Rose should have been punished, and he was. But why, when everyone in the world agrees that he's one of the best that has ever played the game, does that need to include a ban from the HoF? Imo, it hurts the hall as much as it hurts Rose. Even if he doesn't get in before, the first chance after he dies, he's getting in, and everyone knows it. By the time that happens, most of the voters won't care about it cause they won't be old enough to remember. They'll think rationally and he'll be put in.

Wrongfully so. The reason betting is such a big issue is because it stemmed from a time where players did not make a whole lot just from playing. There was a temptation for players to throw games in order to win bets. In the era that Rose was betting, that was not an issue anymore.

Rose obviously bet on baseball as a manager. Do I think he bet on the Reds, probably not but who knows. Do I think he bet against the Reds, absolutely not. One thing about Rose was for sure, he was far too much of a competitor to actually throw a game.

In essense Rose's gambling didn not affect baseball as it could have back in the early to mid 1900's. That is why it is not nearly as big of an issue IMO as the steroids scandal surrounding baseball today. Betting by players and managers in the earlier days had a real effect on baseball because players actually needed the money and had a temptation to throw games. That affects the sanctity of the game itself. Today steroids has that same effect. It affects the records of baseball such as the HR record, it affects the W/L record of teams if players are better simply because they are using an illegal substance, and it could potentially be keeping young non-users who otherwise would be playing baseball out of the game since they may not be as good as the player who is using it. The effects of steroids today is AT LEAST as big as gambling was back in the day.

Great points.

You are right about roids and the negative impact it has on the game today.

Baseball is about records. Whether individual or team, the numbers are almost universally known by it's fans. More so then any other sport. If I ask what does 60, 61, 70, 73, 755 mean? I would be more surprised if we got one number wrong. In baseball, records are one of the core fabrics of the game. Which is why roids and gambling are such flash points for debate.

I agree with every point you made about roids, but here is the one thing and I feel it should dam Rose to lifetime banishment. Up until 2001, MLB did not even do random testing. If you were clean at the beginning of the year you were drug free. Club Houses used to have bowls of amphetamines. While I am not trying to absolve McGwire, Bonds and the Sosa's of baseball. They are largely a by-product of baseball's inadequate testing and turn the other cheek attitude.

However, gambling is not. Especially, for Rose. While I imagine there were laws prior to 1919 Black Sox scandal, the comissioner's office did not make it such an issue until Landis did after he took office. Rose came up in an ERA when it was posted in the clubhouses. He knew MLB did not allow it. He still did it though.

Rose knowingly and willingly violated baseball's greatest sin: gambling. He pissed on over a 100 years of baseball history and gave the game a big FU and said, "I am above the game." Wrong Pete. I for one, do believe he bet against the Reds as a player or manager. His ERA did not have multi-million dollar contracts. You mean to tell me sometime during his days as a manager or player, he had some inside info that tilted the scales against the Big Red Machine and he elected to not bet? No way in hell.

Rose knowingly and willingly violated baseball's greatest sin: gambling. He pissed on over a 100 years of baseball history and gave the game a big FU and said, "I am above the game." Wrong Pete. I for one, do believe he bet against the Reds as a player or manager. His ERA did not have multi-million dollar contracts. You mean to tell me sometime during his days as a manager or player, he had some inside info that tilted the scales against the Big Red Machine and he elected to not bet? No way in hell.

I completely agree with you.

Pete Rose's favorite defense is the good ole' "If I were a heroin addict or a wife beater, I'd be in the Hall of Fame" argument. Well, you know Petey, you're right about that. You would be in the Hall of Fame.

But what he's failing to recognize is that baseball did not have rules against players beating their wives or being heroin addicts. They DID, however, have a rule stating that gambling on baseball would result in LIFETIME BANISHMENT. Pete Rose knew this rule, just like every other player knew it. He knew the risks involved, and like any gambling addict, he just couldn't resist the idea of placing a bet. I hope he remains banned forever. He has no spot in the Hall.

If he ever was inducted, I'd never watch the game again. Seriously, I wouldn't. There would be no point. The guy is a pathological liar who pissed all over the rules. I hope he never sniff the Hall. Maybe he should have chosen heroin over gambling, this way he'd be in his precious little Hall of Fame.

Rose, the player always thought (probably still does with that smug attitude of his) he was bigger than the game...no one player is bigger than the game.

You have to remember one thing and it's well documented...baseball hates betting and that's the reason why I think this jerk will never sniff the HOF.

If only baseball hated steroids as much as it hated betting. Rose deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. His crime pales in comparison to Mark McGwire and Barry Bonds perverting the record books with their steroid abuse.

If only baseball hated steroids as much as it hated betting. Rose deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. His crime pales in comparison to Mark McGwire and Barry Bonds perverting the record books with their steroid abuse.

Exactly. The bottom line is steroids and HGH puts asses in seats, especially after a bitter fan reaction to a strike/lockout. When we look back in time, this atrocity will be a far bigger stain on baseball than anything Rose ever did.

You are right.

While Rose the player on the field does deserve to be in the Hall; Rose the person and his actions as manager (and probably player) do not for the same reasons you give for roids. It does prevert the record book.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phinsuck viewpost.gif

Exactly. The bottom line is steroids and HGH puts asses in seats, especially after a bitter fan reaction to a strike/lockout. When we look back in time, this atrocity will be a far bigger stain on baseball than anything Rose ever did.

Don't remember who said it, but they pointed out how hard-hitting up-from-the-bootstraps journalist Joe Buck keeps saying Ryan Howard is "clean". I like Howard; he seems like a really decent guy from a good family and I hope(and think) he is clean. But Joe Buck and the entire baseball media took a total see no evil approach in 1998 when McGwire and Sosa went off even though it was clear something was going on with chemistry. Baseball will do anything to sell more tickets and keep rights fees rising. That includes ignoring cheating if it's good for the bottom line.

Archived