Touchy subject: Retired Numbers

MSGold12

Hi guys. Long time no speak! Over at JA, I posted this as a kind of "mid week" topic. Id love to get your thoughts on it too...

As we all know the Jets have offically retired 3 numbers: 12 (Namath), 13 (Maynard), and 73 (Klecko). Two HOFers and SB champions and possibly our best defensive player in our teams history. They have also "retired" a Weeb sweater and have unoffically retired (aka- never gvien out) #90 since dennis Byrd and for some starange reason, until this TC #59 was never given out in honor of the "great" Kyle Clifton.

OK, I contend that number retiring has become as cheapened as the HOF in baseball and football has. The bar has been lowerred FAR too much. WAY too many numbers get retired these days. Look at the Yanks. From 1939-1974 they retired exactly 4...FOUR. (Gehrig, Ruth, Dimaggio and Mantle). From 1974 to the present they have retired 11 more. Did the team get that much beter? No...its just retiring of numbers got cheapened and politcal. So whuile older HOFers like Lazerri, Combs, Gomez and Gordon do NOT have their numbers retired, "greats" like Billy Martin (average player, 1 title as a manager), Roger maris (TOTALLY undeserving, 9 should be for Nettles if anyone), Elston Howard (very good player...but if hes not their first black player, his number is not retired), and reggie Jackson (5 years in NY, 1 bad one...not long enough to deserve it) have their numbers hanging in monumwent park.

Where am I going with this? OK....

It is almost a given that Martin (28) and Chrebet (80) will soon have their numbers retired byu the Jets. And most fans will be all for both. I contend that martin is premature and there is NO way Chrebet should have his number retired.

Martin will go down as our leading rusher in team history, top 5 all time and a classy guy. I will not have MAJOR problem when his #28 is hanging. But I can think of a few others who deserve it before Martin and who are not there since retiring wasn't "in vogue" when they left the game. Winston Hill's 75, Al Toon's 88, and Gerry Philbins 81 should all go up first. Hill was a SB champion with 8 pro bowls, Philin was a SB champ and an all time AFL 1st teamer, Toon was the most domiant WR we ever had and (next to Rice) the best in football from 1985-1990. Martins 28 can go up, but these guys should go first.

As to Chrebet...NO chance. Sorry folks but how many pro bowls did he make? How many times did he have 1000 yards? How many times did he lead the league in anything? How many times was he team MVP???? Yes, he had a lot of catches in his career but those numbers (like all post 1978 WRs) are inflated by DB rules that were loosened, the extended 16 game sked, and a gneral "opening up" of the offesnes starting in the 1980s.

Retiring numbers is sduppossed to be for the select few "super greats" of the game. If we are going to lower the bar, then put in ALL the derserving jets and not just the ones who retired after the bar was lowered. Martin...fine, but not the next one. Chrebet...not a chance.

*** The Hermy Error is OVER...Let the Tangini Era begin!!!! ***

MSGold I happen to agree with your stand- to take it astep further players are getting into the Hall Of Fames they really should be more exclusive with membership for the absolute best of the profession. Curtis deserves it Chrebet not to get a Jet number retired.

To me a retired # represents giving back to a player that was pretty much the all time best at that position for your team (at that point in time, I suppose). That means that Curtis gets it and Chrebet does not. Also, given how stingy the Jets are with retiring #'s I don't think they make room for Chrebet on the wall.

Totally agree with almost everything in your post. Chrebet should not get his number retired. Nice player but not one of the top 5 all time Jet WR. Maynard, Toon, Suaer and Walker all were better and during Chrebets time on the Jets Mo Lewis was the much better player and isn't even in the topic.

I'm not one of those who think Martin was the best running back in Jets history but that's my own preference based on my lying eyes. If he gets into the HOF which is a slam dunk, he's number should be immediately retired.

IMO McNeil was the most talented and diominant RB we've ever had but he ddnt have martin durability and thus Martins numbers dwarf freeman's.

As to a "Jetway of Honor" (somehting I have always thought we should have), I am sure the new stadium will have thise "rings of screens" or flip signs where the jets honor role will be displayed on jet days and the Gimats on Ginats days. It can be done and should be done.

Guys like Hill, Philbin, Toon, Leahy, Powell, Harper, Shuler, Walker, Sauer Lewis, Grantham, and Gastineau shuld egt their due.

I am one of the biggest Curtis Martin fans you'll ever meet but I don't think he'll have his #28 retired. Why? He didn't start his career as a Jet and yes even though 9 of his 12 seasons were here and he will go into the HOF as a Jet, he still didn't start out here and many people say, "So what?" Trust me it's a big deal and I personally am hoping that 28 goes up on the wall but I doubt it does. IMHO, I believe in every part of my body that eventually, maybe not in the next 5 years, but, eventually, #80 will be on the wall along side Namath, Maynard & Klecko. Wayne Chrebet was one of the more popular Jets for his decade of Jets football and he truely did bleed Jets green.

So did a lot of guys 124.

Phiblin played with a destroyed shoulder. Toon STILL can't function correctly due to his concussions.

My point is lots of more talented and worthy players have NOT had their numbers retired and shuld before (if ever) Chrebet does.

Chrebet was a terrific story and a very good player for us. But he was never a #1 WR, never went to a pro bowl, never lead the league in anyhitng, and never won a championship. But sicne hes so "popular" he wil probably get his number retired...an honior he is not worthy of.

Martin? Once he goes to the hall his will be retired...maybe sooner.

To me a retired # represents giving back to a player that was pretty much the all time best at that position for your team (at that point in time, I suppose). That means that Curtis gets it and Chrebet does not. Also, given how stingy the Jets are with retiring #'s I don't think they make room for Chrebet on the wall.

I agree. Only "all-time greats" should get numbers retired.

I'd much rather see the Jets install a "Ring of Honor" with past Jet great's names displayed on gameday, as described in an earlier response.

Players like Grantham, Hill, Clifton, McNeil, Gastineau, Wesley Walker, Al Toon, and Chrebet would belong there.

I agree with your points. Chrebet should not get his number retired, but it should be a few years before the give it out again. All the people throwing other names out there should have mentioned Snell. There is no reason to go giving Snell's number to some never-was like Jamir Martin. I remember that Blair Thomas was going to make me forget about Boozer. In a funny way, he did. They don't have to officially retire a number, but they don't have to give it out to every 7th string UDFA db either.

I would retire Martin's number. Chrebet's no.

I also would not put Chrebet up there with the Wesley Walkers or Al Toons. Chrebet was a fearless sparkplug who basically came out of nowhere to have a great career. Not a HOF career but a great career.

Martin is probably the best back the Jets have ever had. I know some people would argue for Freeman McNeil or Emerson Boozer or even Matt Snell to an extent but with Martin before the season even started you could mark him down for 275-300+ carries and over a 1,000 yds. That is for seven straight years. Not alot of teams get that kind of back with that kind of consistency.

If the Jets were like the Cowboys or the Bills with a "Ring of Honor" I would have no problem with putting Chrebet up there. Retired numbers though belong to the true "greats" of the franchise.

It is almost a given that Martin (28) and Chrebet (80) will soon have their numbers retired byu the Jets. And most fans will be all for both. I contend that martin is premature and there is NO way Chrebet should have his number retired.

It would be a travesty of justice if Chrebet's (0 Pro Bowls) number was retired before Winston Hill's (8 Pro Bowls).

All Wayne Chrebet ever was was the NYJ's version of Rudy.

Nice little career against huge odds, but that's about it.

He does not deserve to have his number retired while Winston Hill who could be considered one of the top 5 players ever to play for the Jets.

It would be a travesty of justice if Chrebet's (0 Pro Bowls) number was retired before Winston Hill's (8 Pro Bowls).

All Wayne Chrebet ever was was the NYJ's version of Rudy.

Nice little career against huge odds, but that's about it.

He does not deserve to have his number retired while Winston Hill who could be considered one of the top 5 players ever to play for the Jets.

I don't think they should retire his jersey and I wouldn't put him up there with Winston Hill in terms of "greatness" at his position, but I think the "Jets version of Rudy" comment is a bit harsh to say the least.

The man retired at a young age of 32 and is the second-leading receiver in club history with 580 catches, behind only HOF'er Don Maynard (627). His 7,365 receiving yards rank third on the team list.

Not bad on a franchise that has employed some pretty good receivers in their history (i.e. Maynard, Sauer, Wesley Walker, Al Toon, etc...).

Certainly more deserving than the "Rudy" comparison.

I don't think they should retire his jersey and I wouldn't put him up there with Winston Hill in terms of "greatness" at his position, but I think the "Jets version of Rudy" comment is a bit harsh to say the least.

The man retired at a young age of 32 and is the second-leading receiver in club history with 580 catches, behind only HOF'er Don Maynard (627). His 7,365 receiving yards rank third on the team list.

Not bad on a franchise that has employed some pretty good receivers in their history (i.e. Maynard, Sauer, Wesley Walker, Al Toon, etc...).

Certainly more deserving than the "Rudy" comparison.

I didn't mean the Rudy comment to be harsh in any manner.

Two guys against unbelievable odds made their dreams come true.

I always had respect for Chrebet (especially his tough 3rd down catches) as a clutch player who always performed better than his physical talents that he had.

Archived