Who plays QB next year?

LionelRichie

I said that and I stand by it. But it holds no weight anymore because Chad has once again shown the inability to beat a tuff defense and throw the ball in the winds of the meadowlands.

A month from now when half the people here are making fun of Chads inability to throw the ball in the air in the gusty winds of the meadowlands I will gladly dig this thread up and laugh at everyone who is laughing at me.

He obviously cannot continue his early season play because once again, the gusty winds at the meadowlands are showing up and teams have once again adjusted to our new offense.

Barton

Those gusty winds were tough yesterday. It was hell playing beer pong in the parking lot. :)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
excuse me but you've mistaken class for classless. cause that is what you're input to this thread is. bashing our q'back who is having an amazing year for the ny jets thus far.

we expect this kinda noodle arm talk from tx, but not from a fellow jetfan

I agree bashing Chad for doing what he does and being the best QB on our team is dumb but as far as having an amazing year, it's amazing that he's playing at all. Chad was amazing for about 6 games in 02.

In a league full of JAG QB's he is ranked 10th in yards and passer rating and 8th in TD's. Amazing based on expectations, slightly above average based on relative NFL performance.

joewilly, please define "amazing".

Amazing coming back from two torn rotator cuffs and playing? Yep.

Amazing how he is leading/producing in the Jets offense? Hardly.

I just think it's amazing as a jetfan to see chad perform as q'back thus far considering what we all expected of both him & the jets this year. 3 & 3 is amazing if you ask me. we got spanked against jags & yesterday chad did barely enough in the 3rd quarter to give us the win. he played really well against the colts & pats in our other 2 losses. while he's had some huge #'s in the earlier games, you also can't argue too loud against a 175 yd mistake free game.

Nobody is laughing at you, just laughing at your ideas. How is Chad Pennington supposed to beat a top-tier defense with this offense surrounding him?

Let's see, Pennington is supposed to beat the Jags and Pats defenses with a backfield consisting of pro-bowl explosive playmakers like Kevan Barlow, Leon Washington, BJ Askew, and Cedric Houston.

He also has a pro-bowl tight end in Chris Baker.

Coles and Cotchery? They're right up there with Boldin and Fitzgerald, Owens and Glenn, Johnson and Houshmanzadeh.

Yeah that's a great situation Chad is in. What a detriment to the team he is.

So I guess you're saying he needs an outstanding cast around him to succeed?

Coles and Cotchery are a fine pair of WRs, and Chads Oline is protecting him well.

We need a running back, I agree. But what does all this have to do with Chads lack of arm strength? You're just dodging from my point. This whole arguement is whether or not Chad has the arm to lead this team to a superbowl playing in the gusty meadowland winds?

I want somebody here to tell me Chad Pennington has the arm strength to have an effective air attack* in the winter months in the meadowlands.

Will those people please stand up. I need to know how many "Kick Me" signs I have to make.

* effective air attack consists of more than slants, screens and dumpoffs. I'm talking about an actual air attack. I know Jets fans have no idea what that is by watching this team.

Coles and Cotchery are a fine pair of WRs, and Chads Oline is protecting him well.

We need a running back, I agree. But what does all this have to do with Chads lack of arm strength? You're just dodging from my point. This whole arguement is whether or not Chad has the arm to lead this team to a superbowl playing in the gusty meadowland winds?

I want somebody here to tell me Chad Pennington has the arm strength to have an effective air attack* in the winter months in the meadowlands.

Will those people please stand up. I need to know how many "Kick Me" signs I have to make.

* effective air attack consists of more than slants, screens and dumpoffs. I'm talking about an actual air attack. I know Jets fans have no idea what that is by watching this team.

Would most teams go into the Meadowlands on a gusty day and plan on throwing the ball 40 times in an all out "air attack"? Probably not.

Pennington's arm strength isn't as great as most QBs in the NFL, I don't think anyone is arguing that. Will the Jets put up wins this winter with Pennington at QB?, that remains to be seen.

Remember when nobody thought Chad would make it back or be effective and were calling for a QB change?

He proved a lot of people wrong, period.

As long as he does what he does and the Jets get wins, that's all I'm concerned with.

Would most teams go into the Meadowlands on a gusty day and plan on throwing the ball 40 times in an all out "air attack"? Probably not.

Pennington's arm strength isn't as great as most QBs in the NFL, I don't think anyone is arguing that. Will the Jets put up wins this winter with Pennington at QB?, that remains to be seen.

Remember when nobody thought Chad would make it back or be effective and were calling for a QB change?

He proved a lot of people wrong, period.

As long as he does what he does and the Jets get wins, that's all I'm concerned with.

Fair enuff.

We'll see if Chad can even throw the ball just 20 yards down field this winter in the meadowlands. :roll:

I agree with you, no team would ever "plan" an air attack in those conditions.

But what happens when the Jets are facing a key 3rd and 12 in those conditions?:eek:

How much closer to the SB would we be if Culpepper was our QB?

How much closer to the SB would we be if Culpepper was our QB?

What is this supposed to mean?

Hey I got a counter point. How much closer would this team be to a superbowl if we had a QB who had a strong enuff arm to play at the meadowlands, combined with good smarts?

Culpepper? What the f does he have to do with this discussion?

Why not bring back Brooks Bollinger? I mean, wtf is your point?

Why is everyone bashing Chad....I really would not call Leon Washington or Kevan Barlow threats....Chad has been a warrior since we picked him up...When he has had the weapons, he has been effective....Whether playing or not Chad has been the heart of this team since he became a starter(even when not playing). We all know about his arm, which as looked fairly good this year, and he IS one of the smarter QBs and top 2 or 3 at play-action If he does play a full season,why not Chad the QB the next year and years after that...As long as he stas healthy

What is this supposed to mean?

Hey I got a counter point. How much closer would this team be to a superbowl if we had a QB who had a strong enuff arm to play at the meadowlands, combined with good smarts?

Culpepper? What the f does he have to do with this discussion?

Why not bring back Brooks Bollinger? I mean, wtf is your point?

There aren't more than 3 or 4 QB with brains and good arms. They don't exist we don't have one get over it. We haven't had one in 30 years, Clemens isn't it, he's not on our roster he wasn't in this year draft. The last shot we had at one was Manning and Parcells blew it. We may not get a shot at one in our lifetime. I want a great chucker but I'm finally getting over the fact that Namath left the Jets 30 years ago. I was lucky I got a chance to see him, I'm finally excepting the fact the Jets won't have another one for at least 5 or more years unless a lightening bolt hits. I hate Pennington because of his rag likeTyrannosaurus rex arm, but I'm a Jet fan and he's the best will see for a long time.

Excellent question.

I see the Jets as a non playoff team right now. They probably wont make the playoffs.

If that holds true. I see Clemens taking over next year.

Who knows, maybe we get a decent draft pick for Pennington. Raiders? Browns? Who knows.

wow! for a while, it seemed like every jets board was infected with pennyphiles/cultists. evidently, there are some realists out there, after all.

I agree with you, no team would ever "plan" an air attack in those conditions.

But what happens when the Jets are facing a key 3rd and 12 in those conditions?:eek:

you mean, like yesterday, late in the 4th quarter? we punted twice, while harrington gunned the ball and the fins rapidly down the field.

There is the correct answer.

PennyBoy will never lead the Jets to the Promised Land.

He always comes up small in big game situations.

that's where you need more than smarts-you also need a real nfl arm to throw the ball under adverse conditions and stick it in between defenders without hanging receivers out to dry.

the difference between a namath, elway, kelly, bradshaw, brady and chadwick.

that's where you need more than smarts-you also need a real nfl arm to throw the ball under adverse conditions and stick it in between defenders without hanging receivers out to dry.

the difference between a namath, elway, kelly, bradshaw, brady and chadwick.

Excellent points.

Too bad 90% of your Jets fans colleagues disagree with you.

All it takes to be a highly successful QB in the NFL is smarts, great intangibles and rah-rah leadership.;)

Why is it whenever someone brings up arm strength, someone tries to "counter" by bringing up cases where arm strength has failed? If you want to counter, you have to bring up a case where no arm has succeeded. I don't think you can do that because as far as I know there has never been a SB winning QB with an arm as weak as Chad's, especially in the Northeast. Bringing up a case where an arm has failed does not disprove the point that no arm does not succeed.

Pennington is 17-7 at the Meadowlands in his career.

Next.

Pennington is 17-7 at the Meadowlands in his career.

Next.

Thats not answering the question.

Can he throw the ball in the meadowland winds? No he cannot. And deep down I know you realize this because you have seen him throw the ball when the winter time comes and it aint pretty.

Thats not answering the question.

Can he throw the ball in the meadowland winds? No he cannot. And deep down I know you realize this because you have seen him throw the ball when the winter time comes and it aint pretty.

LOL...so now that we've actually established that yes he can QB a team to a very high winning pct. at the Meadowlands despite your claim it was not possible, we now have yet another lame response from you.

LOL...so now that we've actually established that yes he can QB a team to a very high winning pct. at the Meadowlands despite your claim it was not possible, we now have yet another lame response from you.

I said this

You responded. I said this

I didnt change my tune. I still asked if he has the arm to throw the ball in the winter months in the meadowlands. You still havent answered that question.

FYI, august and october arent winter months, and really neither is early september, so alot of those 17 wins could have came before winter and the gusty winds showed up, but I guess you didnt take that into account?

I'll look it up later and get back to you on this........gotta go for now.

No Barton, you implied the Jets couldn't win at the Meadowlands with Chad.

I showed you that he is 17-7 in his career at the Meadowlands.

Now you are down to certain months as the "new" criteria....LOL.

From November 1 on he is 11-3 at the Meadowlands in his career.

You know exactly what you meant and have been proven wrong.

I know you are at the age of peer pressure, but spinning things after the fact like TX really is not cool.;)

No Barton, you implied the Jets couldn't win at the Meadowlands with Chad.

I showed you that he is 17-7 in his career at the Meadowlands.

Now you are down to certain months as the "new" criteria....LOL.

You know exactly what you meant and have been proven wrong.

I know you are at the age of peer pressure, but spinning things after the fact like TX really is not cool.;)

Um...are you illiterate or are you just trolling? He clearly said meadowlands winds. Seriously, you're making yourself look really dumb here man. I understand you like Chad but, c'mon, it was clear as day. What are Chad's November onwards won-loss and QB ratings at the Meadowlands, and extra points if you can track down the other cold weather stadiums, here's a hint, New England where he never wins?

Um...are you illiterate or are you just trolling? He clearly said meadowlands winds. Seriously, you're making yourself look really dumb here man. I understand you like Chad but, c'mon, it was clear as day. What are Chad's November onwards won-loss and QB ratings at the Meadowlands, and extra points if you can track down the other cold weather stadiums, here's a hint, New England where he never wins?

Wow, Shelter just got owned big-time by another Jets fan.:eek:

11-3 post November 1st at the Meadowlands sport.

Please, for the love of god!

Stop the insanity!!

Can we go one friggin week without a thread relating to Pennington's arm strength, how many wins he has against good defensive teams, the weather and Pennington's arm, and whether Chad is a Super Bowl QB?

I'm done posting anything on these (Pennington) threads again for the rest of the season.

Go Jets! Go Chad!

Please, for the love of god!

Stop the insanity!!

Can we go one friggin week without a thread relating to Pennington's arm strength, how many wins he has against good defensive teams, the weather and Pennington's arm, and whether Chad is a Super Bowl QB?

I'm done posting anything on these (Pennington) threads again for the rest of the season.

Go Jets! Go Chad!

I'm with SA, done with this bullsh!t. I'll be in the other threads talking football.

Side note: I was not even allowed to register on Chiefsplanet (or some crap) because my user name was going to be Raffydajetsfan yet I have to sit here and listen to garbage from patsy fans on a daily basis, garbage which brings absolutely nothing to the table, on a Jets message board. I realize they are suppose to bring varying points of view and stimulate discussion but honestly they stopped doing that a WHILE ago and I want no part of it anymore.

I'm with SA, done with this bullsh!t. I'll be in the other threads talking football.

Side note: I was not even allowed to register on Chiefsplanet (or some crap) because my user name was going to be Raffydajetsfan yet I have to sit here and listen to garbage from patsy fans on a daily basis, garbage which brings absolutely nothing to the table, on a Jets message board. I realize they are suppose to bring varying points of view and stimulate discussion but honestly they stopped doing that a WHILE ago and I want no part of it anymore.

welcome to the club Raffy-a lot of us have long since passed the same conclusion-in fact we're (sadly) losing some Jets fans as a result

Thank you! I dont think I could have been more clear.

Anyways, after Pennys rookie 2002 season, NFL defenses adjust....

2003:

From the middle of NOV on (previous 2 weeks were road games vs Indy and at Oak, not exactly windy situations)

Jags vs Jets - Pennington throws 1 TD and 1 INT

Titans vs Jets - Pennington throws 2 TDs and 2 ints

December 2003: even colder and windier I'm sure

Jets at buffalo: 5 yards per pass attempt. O tds 1 INT, 53.1 QB rating

Steelers vs Jets: 5.7 yards per pass attempt. O TDs O ints

Pats vs Jets: 5.3 yards per pass attempt. O tds 5 Ints

(O TDs, 6 INTs in december 2003)

Week 9 Nov 7 04' - Jets at Buffalo

Pennington - 1 TD 1 INT

Didnt play week 10, 11 and 12

Week 13 - Houston vs Jets

Pennington - 2 TDs 1 INT - 5 yards perr pass - good game.

Wasnt a windy day, I remember this game.

December 2004

Week 14 - Jets at Steelers

Chad goes 0 TDs 3 INTs

Week 16 - Jets at NE

Chad goes 1 TD 1 INT

Chad didnt play in after week 4.

I am not an expert on when exactly the winds kick up in the meadowlands, some days its stronger than others but it seems once december hits and the winds get stronger Chad throws for fewer long passes and alot more INTs than TDs.

Anybody who says he has the arm to throw the ball downfield in the winter meadowlands is kidding themselves and trying to take everybody for a fool. We have all see Chad, especially in buffalo, NE and the meadowlands throw nothing but wounded ducks once the winds get strong.

I'll be sure to bump this thread in december.

Archived