Who plays QB next year?

LionelRichie

the jets should win 9 or 10 this year. they could do actually do it without beating a team over .500 so this is a real possibility. chad is going to earn his incentives this season and increase his cap figure. he will still have a big bonus due this offseason that the jets will most likely have to pay.

the question is - who plays QB next year? can the jets win a SB with chad? is clemens the QB of the future, and when do the jets find out? can mangini afford to take a step back from 9 or 10 wins to hand the ball to clemens? or, will the pressure to improve (from a weak schedule) be too much to take the ball from chad?

if not chad or clems than who?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent question.

I see the Jets as a non playoff team right now. They probably wont make the playoffs.

If that holds true. I see Clemens taking over next year.

Who knows, maybe we get a decent draft pick for Pennington. Raiders? Browns? Who knows.

Man, if we're serious about Clemens, we need to let him start THIS year, while the schedule is weak so that he can get accustomed to the NFL. If we have a killer schedule next year, it'll be worse for Clemens. The only way we can win an SB with Pennington is if everyone else on offense is basically a pro-bowler. I don't think Chad can get it done like a top QB is expected to.

I believe Pennington is the kind of QB that needs all the pieces in place in order to be successful. He has showed in the past that he can win as long as he has the protection from the OL and a consistent running game, these things he doesn't have so far this season.

So, as far as starting Clemens this season or next? I would definitely pass. I would give Pennington another year next season, then make a decision at that point. It's all about winning and Pennington gives the Jets the better chance.

Once again this week, the offense put the points on the board but the defense couldn't put the game away. In no way should anyone put the blame of the Dolphin comeback on Chad's shoulders; to even bring this topic up is sort of ridiculous.

Pennington plays QB next year and if the Jets fix some of the REAL areas of concern such as producing a pass rush and running game, the team will be good.

A handfull of us predicted this decent start based on Penningtons health.

We are talking about our 07 draft slot right now if not for the play of Pennington and Coles.

I can't be the only one who feels like we are at a disadvantage with Chad Pennington at the helm. Im all for giving Clemens a couple starts twords the end of the season and letting them both battle it out again next yr.

There is the correct answer.

PennyBoy will never lead the Jets to the Promised Land.

He always comes up small in big game situations.

These threads make me sick.

We are 3-3. 2-1 in our division and yet there is always someone who wants to talk about next year.

BZ

I know BZ-I posted yesterday that Chad Pennington yesterday started his 43rd game-Jake Plummer has 4 times as many and I'll bet you Joey Harrington has more-he's still a relatively young QB and a good one regardless of what the troll community has to say...and sadly half of our own teams' fans feel

These threads make me sick.

We are 3-3. 2-1 in our division and yet there is always someone who wants to talk about next year.

BZ

I agree, one note though. I was lucky enough to be on the sidelines during warmups yesterday and Kellen Clemens was standing directly in front of me doing tosses. I was really shocked at his physical stature. I've read all of the threads on how he is too small and such, and that is clearly not the case. He may not be 6'-4" but he is not by any stretch of the imagination a small person. He's about 6'-1" but is very thickly built (boy that doesn't sound right ;) ). Anyway, a bit off topic, and doesn't mean he'll ever be a great QB, but just thought I would share....

I agree, one note though. I was lucky enough to be on the sidelines during warmups yesterday and Kellen Clemens was standing directly in front of me doing tosses. I was really shocked at his physical stature. I've read all of the threads on how he is too small and such, and that is clearly not the case. He may not be 6'-4" but he is not by any stretch of the imagination a small person. He's about 6'-1" but is very thickly built (boy that doesn't sound right ;) ). Anyway, a bit off topic, and doesn't mean he'll ever be a great QB, but just thought I would share....

no that does matter baamf-look at Matt Hasselback's build-you have to have some bulk or you'll get killed out there in the NFL in this era of monster 325 lb lineman coming at you going 10 MPH

the jets should win 9 or 10 this year. they could do actually do it without beating a team over .500 so this is a real possibility. chad is going to earn his incentives this season and increase his cap figure. he will still have a big bonus due this offseason that the jets will most likely have to pay.

the question is - who plays QB next year? can the jets win a SB with chad? is clemens the QB of the future, and when do the jets find out? can mangini afford to take a step back from 9 or 10 wins to hand the ball to clemens? or, will the pressure to improve (from a weak schedule) be too much to take the ball from chad?

if not chad or clems than who?

We should stick with Chad Pennington. Kellen Clemens sucks.

And since when was Joey Harrington good? He played awful first half of yesterday's game not to mention he was a bust in Detroit.

We should stick with Chad Pennington. Kellen Clemens sucks.

And since when was Joey Harrington good? He played awful first half of yesterday's game not to mention he was a bust in Detroit.

Shouldn't you be in hiding?

The Jets won yesterday.

No you should be in hiding. Vince Young beat the Redskins yesterday after almost beating the Colts last week on the road.

Yeah, I was totally wrong on Vince Young and his 47% completion percentage.

Also, his 5 fumbles and 4 interceptions on the year have really impressed the hell out of me.

Simple.... As long as Pennington is still active Clemens is not the qb of the future for Jets. Clemens is more likely an insurance of the future at qb. Once Pennington is down with another arm injury Clemens will be seen some action this year when Jets are officially out of playoff picture..

That is why Jets do not touch Clemens that much this year and Mangini plays it safe with Clemens being inactive for several games so far..

IN MY OPINION THE NY JETS SHOULD KEEP PENNY PLAYING BUT IF AND WHEN THEY GET A COMFORTABLE LEAD BRING IN CLEMENS AND ALSO GIVE SMITH A SHOT...JUST TO GIVE THEM A TASTE OF THE NFL:Typotux:

Hey, just a quick suggestion. Remove the Caps Lock key on your keyboard before proceeding. This has been a message from your snobby message board police, you can now continue with your regularly scheduled programming....

:P

th_CapsLock.jpg

I'm not sure why any one is bitching about Pennington. Yesterdays game reminded me of the Ali-Foreman fight. Pennington runs the Rope-A-Dope offense for the entire first half. Miami gets comfortable defending 5 yards of football field and all of a sudden we score two TD's. It was brilliant.

The only thing that bothers me is Miami reminds me more of the Bayone Bleeder than of a young George Forman.

I'm not sure why any one is bitching about Pennington. Yesterdays game reminded me of the Ali-Foreman fight. Pennington runs the Rope-A-Dope offense for the entire first half. Miami gets comfortable defending 5 yards of football field and all of a sudden we score two TD's. It was brilliant.

The only thing that bothers me is Miami reminds me more of the Bayone Bleeder than of a young George Forman.

I saw Chuck Wepner hanging out in a bar in Belmar maybe 15 or so years ago- drinking and staying in shape I suppose.

Is this the only damn thing you can come up with week after week?

I'm beginning to think you have autism.

Patsfantx doesn't have autism, he has alzheimers. He conveniently forgot about Pennington beating the Colts, Chargers and coming within a missed fg of beating the Steelers on the road in the playoffs.

Imagine if Pennington did win a Super Bowl? The next thing this frontrunner would be saying is that Pennington sucks because he can't win 3 SB's like his boys Aikman and Brady.

We already have found out this year.

The only two good teams the Jets have played this year (Pats and Colts), PennyBoy could not find a way to pull out a win.

or was it the defense not finding a way to stop Manning and Brady on that 8 minute drive?Hmmm....

Patsfantx doesn't have autism, he has alzheimers. He conveniently forgot about Pennington beating the Colts, Chargers and coming within a missed fg of beating the Steelers on the road in the playoffs.

Are you friggn' kidding me?

You reference one playoff game over 4 years ago where the defense pitched a shutout?

And the reason why the Jets lost to the Steelers was because your BoyWonder put up 3 friggn points in 5 quarters of football, not because of a missed FG.

Archived