The Chadinette Handbook of Excuses

Barton

JW - one more game? He had 625 yards after two weeks. In the last two months, 8 games, he has only 1263 yards 6 TDs and 10 INTs. It would be one thing if you were a run heavy team like Pittsburgh or Atlanta, but you actually run the ball a little and he had gotten worse. It should not work that way.

6 straight games under 200. That is the output of a rookie QB. Not a seven year verteran.

we're 5 & 5 with very dim playoff hopes....chad starting against houston is the right call but the leash becomes very short from here on out.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, but if Clemens can hit longer passes more frequently, that will open up the field a little more. Both the running and passing game will benefit from this.

Yes, but if-Those famous words.

if Jet fans trust Eric Mangini-They have to trust Mangini in his QB decision. And that, as it stands today is in teh camp of Chad Pennington being teh best option for teh Jets offense.

we don't have anything else to go on. Ifs and buts do not win football games.

if Jet fans trust Eric Mangini-They have to trust Mangini in his QB decision. And that, as it stands today is in teh camp of Chad Pennington being teh best option for teh Jets offense.

Good points Scott.

When will be a good time though?

Chances are the Jets will get between 8-10 wins. Then going into 2007, they should be favorites for second place in the AFC East. Are you going to throw him in then? Then comes 2008, you have a team two years into a rebuilding process and maybe on the cusp of dethroning the Patriots and will have essentially a rookie QB.

Of course give Mangini the benefit of the doubt, he can apparently coach a little. That only makes me wonder how, not bad or inept, but inexperienced Clemens is looking.

Like when the Giants went with Eli, Chargers with Rivers, Lienart with the Cards or the Boyz with Romo, there must be a point when you make a switch. If Chad was erforming well, that would be one thing, but he is getting worse. Maybe there is something wrong with his shoulder.

Good points Scott.

When will be a good time though?

Chances are the Jets will get between 8-10 wins. Then going into 2007, they should be favorites for second place in the AFC East. Are you going to throw him in then? Then comes 2008, you have a team two years into a rebuilding process and maybe on the cusp of dethroning the Patriots and will have essentially a rookie QB.

Of course give Mangini the benefit of the doubt, he can apparently coach a little. That only makes me wonder how, not bad or inept, but inexperienced Clemens is looking.

Like when the Giants went with Eli, Chargers with Rivers, Lienart with the Cards or the Boyz with Romo, there must be a point when you make a switch. If Chad was erforming well, that would be one thing, but he is getting worse. Maybe there is something wrong with his shoulder.

Right, there comes a point to make the switch. Since we are primarily worried about the future, not this year, the most important factor is the readiness of Clemens. Chad not performing well, while a factor, is not the be all end all of going with the rook and Penny probably needs to string 3 of these Bear type games in a row, before we even think about Ramsey.

Right, there comes a point to make the switch. Since we are primarily worried about the future, not this year, the most important factor is the readiness of Clemens. Chad not performing well, while a factor, is not the be all end all of going with the rook and Penny probably needs to string 3 of these Bear type games in a row, before we even think about Ramsey.

He probably won't string them in a row. He seems to be on an every other week plan. In the off weeks, he has games that most QBs consider bad games, but he points to those to show that he doesn't totally suck, and calls them good games. He's on a different measuring stick than other QBs. Other QBs lose their jobs over 6 straight under 200 yard performances and throwing more INTs than TDs. With Chad, he gets excuses. Drew Bledsoe was never this bad. Brunell was about as bad. I think Losman is better. Hell, Aaron Brooks seems better. Rookies seem in general to be better too.

He probably won't string them in a row. He seems to be on an every other week plan. In the off weeks, he has games that most QBs consider bad games, but he points to those to show that he doesn't totally suck, and calls them good games. He's on a different measuring stick than other QBs. Other QBs lose their jobs over 6 straight under 200 yard performances and throwing more INTs than TDs. With Chad, he gets excuses. Drew Bledsoe was never this bad. Brunell was about as bad. I think Losman is better. Hell, Aaron Brooks seems better. Rookies seem in general to be better too.

When did Chad ever stand up and say "I played good, it's too bad we lost." He's not evaluating himself. The coaches are and we are. This is a crappy team, playing quite well. Chad has a chicken arm, he also fits in with the whole intelligent atmosphere. Did he play horribly? Sure did. Anybody denying it? Nope. Bledsoe was never this bad? Exhibit A: The Philly game. Due to his rocket like quickness and pocket awareness he is sacked 7 times, fumbled 3 times lost one which was returned for a td, 3 ints, at least one in the red zone also returned for a td.

I'll take my damn chances on an "If" with Clemens, then a known sucktwad in Pennington. We KNOW that Pennington cant have an air attack, we do not know what we have with Clemens.

Listen, I'm not saying Clemens will be THE GUY, but I'll take my chances and roll the dice with him, then to stick with an avg joe QB with no arm, and thats EXACTLY what Chad is.

Not having any THREAT of an air attack doesnt win football games. Its the same crap we always see when we play a tuff defense. They crowd the line to stuff the run, make Pennington beat them, and he never does.

Bledsoe was never this bad? Exhibit A: The Philly game. Due to his rocket like quickness and pocket awareness he is sacked 7 times, fumbled 3 times lost one which was returned for a td, 3 ints, at least one in the red zone also returned for a td.

Bledsoe's O-line is a lot worse, and he also actually led them to scores at least. With Chad we don't even have a hope at winning because we never score. Bledsoe would have this Jets team at 7-3 most likely.

Bledsoe's O-line is a lot worse, and he also actually led them to scores at least. With Chad we don't even have a hope at winning because we never score. Bledsoe would have this Jets team at 7-3 most likely.

Whatever you say. This is a 4-10 team. Chad is qb and they are 5-5. They have already played the tough part of their schedule. Chad is not the type to win games on his own, he's supposed to be a game manager. This week he failed miserably at it. You want to trade him for Bledsoe straight up? Might as well have signed Vinny or Jeff George.

Whatever you say. This is a 4-10 team. Chad is qb and they are 5-5. They have already played the tough part of their schedule. Chad is not the type to win games on his own, he's supposed to be a game manager. This week he failed miserably at it. You want to trade him for Bledsoe straight up? Might as well have signed Vinny or Jeff George.

Bledsoe is a lot better than those 2. He's had a hand in two different Super Bowl appearances, and I think 4 Pro Bowls. If before the season started you offered that trade, you'd be stupid not to accept it. But now, you're better off just going with Clemens or another young QB.

Wait a minute, are you sriously trying to say that Chad's 5 TD's to 10 INT's over the last 7 games are the reason we are 5-5 as opposed to 4-10!?? You're kidding right?

Excellent use of the following Chadinette Excuses:

1. Despite his pathetic losing record vs. Top 10 defenses, remind everyone that Chad Pennington isn’t capable of winning the game by himself. He needs a stronger supporting cast.

11. When fans call for Kellen Clemens or player XYZ to start over Chad, insist that it’s not possible for any other QB to play better when they aren’t proven or are rookies. Tell them that the Jets record would be far worse or no better with another QB. “We’d be 0-8 without Chad!!”

Excellent use of the following Chadinette Excuses:

Barton, you've got me wrong. I'm not a huge Chad fan. Just saying that automatically calling for him to be benched because he played a crappy game against a top tier D is not necessarily the way to go. Clemens has to be developed. Maybe I believe in being to patiend with rookie qbs, but that's how I think. He was awful, but he could have been worse. If you don't think so look at last year: Do you think we'd have been better than 4-10 if he didn't get hurt again? Does that mean he's playing well and should never be benched? No, but he's not the only guy playing poorly on the team either. No reason to go with Ramsey-it comes down to will it help Clemens develop to play now?

The bottom line-Here is Chad's stats over the last 7 games:

187 attempts, 112, completions, 59% comp percentage, 1080 yds, 5.77 yards per attempt, 5 TD's, 10 INT's 62.6% QB rating.

Those numbers are absolutely atrocious no matter how you slice it. In fact, they ranked lower than 30th in the league. If you seriously think he is the reason we are 5-5 as opposed to 3-7 or 2-8 is because of Chad you seriously need to have your head examined. The fact is we are 5-5 in spite of Chad, and with at least half decent QB playt over that span we are likely 6-4 or maybe even 7-3. I don't xcare how bad we were supposed to be prior to the season, the fact is we had a tremendously great opportunity to be tied for the AFC East lead and Chad is the sole reason we are not.

187 attempts, 112, completions, 59% comp percentage, 1080 yds, 5.77 yards per attempt, 5 TD's, 10 INT's 62.6% QB rating.

Those numbers are absolutely atrocious no matter how you slice it. In fact, they ranked lower than 30th in the league. If you seriously think he is the reason we are 5-5 as opposed to 3-7 or 2-8 is because of Chad you seriously need to have your head examined. The fact is we are 5-5 in spite of Chad, and with at least half decent QB playt over that span we are likely 6-4 or maybe even 7-3. I don't xcare how bad we were supposed to be prior to the season, the fact is we had a tremendously great opportunity to be tied for the AFC East lead and Chad is the sole reason we are not.

The Fear of Worse is a terrible affliction, ain't it Boozer?

5.77 yards per attempt- Joe Willie Namath and the old AFL days please come back!

Just some more fun facts on Chad this year-Chad has only thrown for more than 1 TD in a game 3 times this season (never more than 2). Chad has thrown ZERO TD's in a game 3 times this season. Chad has also thrown multiple INT's in a game 3 times this season. Chad has thrown more INT's than TD's in a game 3 times this season as well. All of this out of just 10 games.

The fear of worse is legitimate if you could actually do worse. I don't see how you can have a much worse QB performance over a 7 game span.

This is not a post by a Jets fan. Dick Todd, Matt Robinson, Rick Meir, Joe Namath, Etc. You can have worse and we have.

This is not a post by a Jets fan. Dick Todd, Matt Robinson, Rick Meir, Joe Namath, Etc. You can have worse and we have.

:rolleyes:

Put this in perspective, if you take that half season of work, Chad would be the 33rd rated passer in the league. Ahead of Andrew Walter and Vince Young. :eek:

He would be behind:

Harrington 67.5 QB Rtg

Leinart 68.1

Bledsoe 69.2

Plummer 69.7

Brad Johnson 73.4

Gradkowski 73.7

Frye 73.8

Vick 74.3

Roethelsberger 75.8

Wallace 76.2

Pennington 76.8 - Not like his actual season is all that much either.

You do not have to be a mindless wonk to follow line-step with what the Jets are putting on the field. In fact, he has shown more then anyone that is afraid of change.

Pennington is not good.

Does Cannizaro read this board much?

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11222006/sports/jets/give_him_a_pass_jets_mark_cannizzaro.htm

GIVE HIM A PASS

By MARK CANNIZZARO

November 22, 2006 -- Leave Chad Pennington alone. Enough already with the knee-jerk reactions on the radio call-in airwaves and in other so-called expert corners of sports analysis.

Where were the exasperated "we can't win with Chad" calls when Pennington was throwing for 300 yards in each of the first two games? Where were they a week ago, when Pennington made some big plays in the Jets' win over the Patriots?

Sure, Pennington has hit a tough spell, the most inconsistent stretch of his career.

Does that mean he's done? Does it mean he's now incapable of being a winning quarterback for the Jets anymore?

Nonsense.

Pennington just came off the toughest two-game portion of the Jets' schedule - at New England (ranked No. 3 in overall defense) and Sunday against the 9-1 Bears (ranked No. 1) - and he's 1-1. A few weeks ago, the thought of splitting those two games was something any Jets fan would have signed up for without a second thought.

It's funny how perceptions change like the weather in sports, particularly regarding football, where teams' respective temperatures are taken on a weekly basis.

A week ago, Pennington and the Jets were the New York football heroes, having knocked off the big, bad Patriots in their backyard. Now the fans want to run Pennington out of town.

Sure, Pennington was a major reason why the Jets lost to the Bears, throwing two critical interceptions, one of which was in the Chicago end zone. And interceptions have uncharacteristically been the bane of Pennington's existence this season. Only three NFL QBs have thrown more than the 11 he's already thrown through 10 games.

The fact that Pennington's TD-to-INT ratio has always been rather good and that his strength has been the ability to avoid the game-turning mistakes are why Pennington is being questioned so heavily.

After the Chicago game, Pennington, citing some "chemistry" problems between he and his receivers, conceded his struggles, but insisted that his twice-surgically-repaired right shoulder, which people want to blame, is not an issue.

"Physically, I feel good," Pennington insisted after the Bears game. "Mentally, experiencing this is something I haven't experienced in my career - the inconsistency part. That's something that I'm dealing with."

Let's remember that Pennington is dealing with a running attack without a legitimate star feature back, the way Curtis Martin was for the Jets since he was acquired in 1998.

Though they have a couple of very good ones in Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery, the Jets, too, are without a true star, speed burner receiver.

In other words, the Jets do not have a single dynamic playmaker on offense who keeps opposing defensive coordinators up late at night trying to figure out ways of stopping him.

WAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaa Chad doesnt have a great running back WAAAAAAAAA.

Coles and Cotch is the best WR tandem in the AFC east. Coles is easily a top 20 WR in the NFL, top 15 this year.

According to Cannizaro, Pennington needs both a star tailback and a star WR. wow, anything else Cannizaro? Maybe a star TE as well?

How about we draft a RT in the 1st rd, Pennington needs a better Oline too!

Cannizaro is a moron.

This blob of a human being would have us all believe:

• We are not capable of beating other teams without Chad Pennington because he threw for 300 yards vs the Titans (owners of the league's #31 defense in both points and yards) and Coles/Cotchery making two highlight-reel plays against NE while they were playing prevent defense.
  • It is to be ignored that after these games Chad has eclipsed 189 passing yards exactly once: a 207 yard performance vs Indy when he threw a 2nd-half INT in the endzone in a close game. A feat he would repeat vs Chicago just this past Sunday.
  • No rookie QB can win a football game.
  • If we lose a game with Pennington playing, it is a known fact that we would've still lost with Clemens (or even Ramsey) in there. Bad as he is/was, it's not like Ramsey never won a football game even with all the turmoil in Washington. If memory serves me correct, he beat up on this fool's lover Hermie to open the 2003 season & followed that up with back-to-back 350-yard, 2-TD games.
  • If we are to win a superbowl within the next 3-4 years it will be with Chad Pennington as our QB or we will not get there. Any other QB will definitely be worse, so it is foolish - if not outright stupid - to give a rookie playing time in a season when we are not going.
  • Chad's "rather good" TD-INT ratio prior to this season (which in reality was only "rather good" prior to his first of two shoulder injuries over 2 years ago) should be weighed heavily and his rather bad TD-INT ratio this year, particularly over the past 6 games which is what he's doing now, should be ignored completely.
  • Chad is given a mulligan for any game he performs badly in because we don't have his beloved Curtis Martin in his prime plus a "true star, speed burner receiver" that was also absent all year on New England, Chicago, Baltimore, Jacksonville, Philadelphia, Kansas City, Miami, San Francisco, Tennessee, and Minnesota. And were absent last year from Denver (13-3), Kansas City (10-6), San Diego (9-7), Chicago (11-5), Minnesota (9-7), and Miami (9-7).
  • Chad has a long history in his career of taking full advantage of having a speed burner receiver on his team in the past.
  • Chad's TD-INT ratio of 19-20 since his first shoulder injury, and 12-14 since the first surgery is the mark of a true champion.
  • Chad's interceptions that so often occur within 5-12 yards of the LOS are no more harmful in terms of field position than that of strong-armed QB's whose INT's frequently occur on passes of 20-40 yards which are almost like a punt).

What a transparent, condescending jackoff.

Hey, if you like Chad as the starter you can make easily make an argument for leaving him in right now (the other two might be worse right away; we're not out of the playoff hunt & have a soft schedule coming up; replacing him at such time could cause unrest in the locker room if we get eliminated b/c of rookie QB mistakes in week 10 when we still had 6 winnable games left on the schedule; etc.).

But to take not only that position, but that he is virtually absolved of his physical and mental shortcomings of late because of the lack of a pro-bowl team around him is insulting to the intelligence of good Jets fans everywhere.

• Chad's interceptions that so often occur within 5-12 yards of the LOS are no more harmful in terms of field position than that of strong-armed QB's whose INT's frequently occur on passes of 20-40 yards which are almost like a punt).

I don't really agree with this one. I don't think he gets picked off that much throwing the usual Chad-ball. It's more often when he tries to throw a non-Chad ball which usually is deeper than 12 yards. Most dangerous Chad passes are 2 swings he threw (successfully) against NE. I submit that Chad's balls are picked because they spend so damn much time in the air. This means the wr has plenty of time to make the tackle.

I don't think Santana was bad with Chad. In fact when they dealt for Coles I was bitching because I'd rather throw dumps and Bob Hayes' to Moss than Coles, more YAC potential. Moss just didn't stay healthy. Maybe that was because Chad got him lit up, but I remember a lot of hamstring crap which probably wasn't related to being hit, unless it was "I don't want to get hit today, my hamstring hurts."

Those are my "Chadinette" comments. I still don't think he should be benched unless they feel Clemens is some degree of ready. I'm betting they don't.

What a transparent, condescending jackoff.

Cannizzaro? Of course. That's about as newsworthy as "Chad has a noodle arm."

I don't really agree with this one. I don't think he gets picked off that much throwing the usual Chad-ball. It's more often when he tries to throw a non-Chad ball which usually is deeper than 12 yards. Most dangerous Chad passes are 2 swings he threw (successfully) against NE. I submit that Chad's balls are picked because they spend so damn much time in the air. This means the wr has plenty of time to make the tackle.

12 yards/13 yards = the same thing. Even someone trying to mount an argument would agree with that.

8 of his 11 interceptions this year were on passes of 13 yards or less. 7 of them were 10 yards or less.

Actually here are the totals:

9/11 = attempt of 15 yds or less

8/11 = attempt of 13 yds or less

7/11 = attempt of 10 yds or less

5/11 = attempt of 9 yds or less

3/11 = attempt of 5 yds or less

2/11 = attempt of 20-26 yds

Three interceptions on passes that didn't travel forward more than 5 yards, including a 3-yarder and a 2-yarder. That is just pitiful.

Here are the plays:

vs NE

2-10-NYJ45(:15) (Shotgun) C.Pennington pass deep right intended for J.McCareins INTERCEPTED by T.Bruschi at NE 21. T.Bruschi to NE 29 for 8 yards (B.Smith). = 26 yds

vs IND

4-2-IND2(4:40) C.Pennington pass short right intended for J.Dearth INTERCEPTED by A.Moorehead (R.Boiman) at IND 0. Touchback. = 2 yds

vs JAX

1-10-NYJ41(12:01) C.Pennington pass short right intended for L.Coles INTERCEPTED by B.Williams at JAX 46. B.Williams to 50 for 4 yards (C.Baker). = 15 yds

3-11-NYJ29(11:37) C.Pennington pass short right intended for B.Smith INTERCEPTED by T.Cousin at NYJ 39. T.Cousin ran ob at NYJ 23 for 16 yards (L.Washington). = 10 yds

1-10-NYJ16(10:44) C.Pennington pass short middle intended for C.Baker INTERCEPTED by D.Grant at NYJ 25. D.Grant to NYJ 24 for 1 yard (C.Baker). = 9 yds

vs DET

2-4-DET22(:48) C.Pennington pass deep middle intended for C.Baker INTERCEPTED by T.Holt at DET 2. T.Holt to DET 2 for no gain (C.Baker). = 20 yds

vs CLE

2-8-CLE31(:10) (No Huddle) C.Pennington pass short right intended for J.Cotchery INTERCEPTED by S.Jones at CLV 28. S.Jones to CLV 31 for 3 yards (N.Mangold). = 3 yds

3-7-NYJ44(7:51) (No Huddle) C.Pennington pass intended for L.Coles INTERCEPTED by S.Jones [L.Bodden] at CLV 33. S.Jones to CLV 37 for 4 yards (J.Cotchery, J.McCareins). = 13 yds

vs NE

1-10-NYJ39(14:47) C.Pennington pass deep middle intended for L.Coles INTERCEPTED by A.Hawkins at NE 44. A.Hawkins to NE 44 for no gain (L.Coles). = 10 yds

vs CHI

3-6-CHI6(11:24) (No Huddle) C.Pennington pass short right intended for C.Baker INTERCEPTED by B.Urlacher at CHI -3. B.Urlacher to CHI 33 for 36 yards (B.Moore, J.Cotchery). = 9 yds (6 yds)

2-15-CHI30(5:33) C.Pennington pass short left intended for C.Baker INTERCEPTED by N.Vasher [A.Brown] at CHI 25. N.Vasher to CHI 28 for 3 yards (C.Baker). = 5 yds

Sperm, I appreciate the hard work you do, but you waste your time. Those of us that use facts and common sense have long ago reached your conclusions. Those that refuse to look at any facts will not be swayed by your latest excellent factual based argument. I've been to boards that blame the defense for the loss to the Bears. It's quite frankly ridiculous. You're not going to change most people's minds on anything, but it's even worse on the internet. I hope you're not actually expecting the Chadinettes to read your post and have an epiphany.

Sperm, I appreciate the hard work you do, but you waste your time. Those of us that use facts and common sense have long ago reached your conclusions. Those that refuse to look at any facts will not be swayed by your latest excellent factual based argument. I've been to boards that blame the defense for the loss to the Bears. It's quite frankly ridiculous. You're not going to change most people's minds on anything, but it's even worse on the internet. I hope you're not actually expecting the Chadinettes to read your post and have an epiphany.

Ain't no thing. I actually like looking this stuff up. Even when I'm wrong (though I'm still waiting for that to happen).

Once again,as with Martin, Canizzaro sees a nice man in Pennington and transposes that fondness into him being a great player. Pennington probably is a nice guy who gives Canizzaro a few minutes of his time every day. But so what? If he was a miserable human being like Jeff George it wouldn't make Pennington a better or worse QB either. Doesn't work that way. His considerable talents do not include a big arm and it's costing the Jets.

Further, other than a circus catch to bail Pennington out, the Jets might not win the Pats game. Any pass Pennignton throws over 15 yards isa total floater. I don't know if he's hurt, which is something a good beat reporter might inquire about(even if the Jets won't say as much). I just don't get why what the fans think or don't think much matters, even as I'm writing on a messageboard. The issue is whether Pennington's weak arm still is outweighed by his skill in running the offense.

Once again,as with Martin, Canizzaro sees a nice man in Pennington and transposes that fondness into him being a great player. Pennington probably is a nice guy who gives Canizzaro a few minutes of his time every day. But so what? If he was a miserable human being like Jeff George it wouldn't make Pennington a better or worse QB either. Doesn't work that way. His considerable talents do not include a big arm and it's costing the Jets.

Further, other than a circus catch to bail Pennington out, the Jets might not win the Pats game. Any pass Pennignton throws over 15 yards isa total floater. I don't know if he's hurt, which is something a good beat reporter might inquire about(even if the Jets won't say as much). I just don't get why what the fans think or don't think much matters, even as I'm writing on a messageboard. The issue is whether Pennington's weak arm still is outweighed by his skill in running the offense.

Yup. Some people act as though we get spotted an extra touchdown because this player or that player is seen as "classy" or has some other quality that has little to no effect once the ball is snapped.

If Pennington had even mediocre talent, his "classiness" would be enough of a positive in terms of chemistry and leadership that it probably outweighs not being an elite player. Unfortunately, Pennington isn't even mediocre, he is quite frankly pretty bad. There is a point where your leadership abilities pale to talent, and I think Pennington is clearly at that level.

I think that going with Chad was the only option this year, once Mangini saw how bad Ramsey is. I would be surprised if they don't see him as a place holder for this year while Clemens learns. Once the Jets fall out of the playoff race, I am betting we will see some of Clemens. I also agree with the approach. Frankly, we have gotten more out of Chad so far this year than I ever thought we would.

Archived