The I Hate Chad Pennington Thread....

SoFlaJets

How much is truly necessary?

Here's the thing, I'm 52 and still in decent shape but I gave up the idea that I could be a WR in the Pro's when I was 15. Watching Pennington throw the ball agrevates me for giving up on my dreams so young. I could have switched positions and still felt I had a shot.

I like Pennington, I just don't think he is physically gifted enough to ever be a top QB, and I think it's great to have a top QB.

so I'll ask you the same question I just asked Ikey over in the other thread serphnx-what would be your solution to the averge at best QBing of CP starting this Sunday against Buffalo?

so I'll ask you the same question I just asked Ikey over in the other thread serphnx-what would be your solution to the averge at best QBing of CP starting this Sunday against Buffalo?

Nothing, as I said, I'd let Pennington finish out the season, and just cross my fingers in the playoffs that this offense will click and Pennington can perform the way we need him to.

More than likely he won't have the type of performances we need in the playoffs, and I'd roll the dice with Clemens or someone else next year.

We don't have a better option right now. That doesn't mean Pennington is a top 10 QB, it just means we don't have that option available on our roster. Next year we have to see what Clemens has if the CS and FO really think he is the future. Clemens isn't going to be happy about sitting next year too.

Clemens isn't going to be happy about sitting next year too

i am sure he doesnt wanna sit but if he shows nothing in TC and pre-season then what?

I'm pretty sure Chad doesn't feel HE is ready to be sent out to pasture either-as I said with Mangini there Is no annointing-you have to earn it baby and if Chad Pennington is the guy that this young coach feels is the best option then it might just be another long year on the boards for you my friend.I TRUST this kid coaching the Jets to do what is best FOR the Jets-do you?

on note: not you Bkny-sephnx

Pennington is a nice guy. He's also a middle of the pack QB getting paid Peyton Manning type money. Pennington right now is equal to Brad johnson in his prime.

Another thing is there is no upside to pennington. What we see now is what we get. At 30 years old he isn't going to get any better.

I thought you said you were staying out of this thread? ;)

I'm really on a mission to try and understand some things and maybe we can come up with a solution to the bashing Chad threads...blessed be the peace makers and all ya know?

I'm pretty sure Chad doesn't feel HE is ready to be sent out to pasture either-as I said with Mangini there Is no annointing-you have to earn it baby and if Chad Pennington is the guy that this young coach feels is the best option then it might just be another long year on the boards for you my friend.I TRUST this kid coaching the Jets to do what is best FOR the Jets-do you?

on note: not you Bkny-sephnx

So if Mangini turned around and started Clemens next week, you would be okay with that? Or if he started Clemens next year?

What's the point of appealing to authority like that? I forget the latin word for it, but it's a clear logical fallacy. In essence, why bother making an argument on a message board at all? You admit you have no basis for any opinion you have, so instead of claiming Chad has been good or bad, you should just say: "Mangini started Chad so it is the right decision" without bringing your own PERSONAL opinions on Chad's playing ability or what Mangini's reasons for starting him are, since you do not know them. In essence what you're doing is hiding behind Mangini's name, while trying to advance your own opinions. The fact is you do not know what Mangini thinks, he could be waiting to dump Pennington as soon as the year ends, and thinking he is absolute total garbage, but you'd not know that. It's rather absurd to claim you know what he's thinking.

I'm not debating with Eric Mangini. I am debating with YOU, and you've failed to show any logical basis for your position. Instead of asking me about what I think, you should be asking yourself why you're even posting here.

I mean all of this with absolutely no animosity or to offend you in any way. I'm just stating what I think are pretty clear facts/reasonable observations.

So if Mangini turned around and started Clemens next week, you would be okay with that? Or if he started Clemens next year?

If Eric Mangini came on TV tomorrow at the PC and said Kellen Clemens is my QB-yes, I'd be fine with it.You know why?I trust that he is going to do what HE thinks gives us the best chance to win-just like he said the first day he was hired.Absolutely-no question about it.

[quote=serphnx;

I'm not debating with Eric Mangini. I am debating with YOU, and you've failed to show any logical basis for your position. Instead of asking me about what I think, you should be asking yourself why you're even posting here.

I mean all of this with absolutely no animosity or to offend you in any way. I'm just stating what I think are pretty clear facts/reasonable observations.

why am I posting here?I was invited in March of '05 and because I love the Jets-I have no agendas or nothing I'm not trying to be "right" about any player or coach-i'm just a fan of the game and have been for 40 years now.My resonable assessment of some of you guys is that maybe YOU have some kind of hidden agendas that I could care less about really-I just am trying to understand-that's all..

maybe YOU have some kind of hidden agendas that I could care less about really-I just am trying to understand-that's all..

You could care less about it, yet you started a thread to understand it?? So what's your point.

I think I speak for everyone who criticizes Chad in saying the following as I've said numerous times before:

He is a middle of the pack QB earning top dollar money. The hurt that he will be putting on our salary cap far outweighs the performance he puts on the field. By playing with a QB of his caliber, we are forced to build an incredibly solid D and running game. That is typically not an issue for most teams, such as BAL and TB in thew past. But it becomes a MAJOR issue if BAL and TB were paying Dilfer and Johnson respectivel at the level that we pay Pennington. If they were then they would never have the money to build a D and a running game like they had.

Chad is never going to be able to put this team solely on his back and win the big games. He needs an enormous supporting cast to do so. He is much more of a "don't do things to hurt your team" type of QB than he is a "go out and win for your team" QB.

You could care less about it, yet you started a thread to understand it?? So what's your point.

I think I speak for everyone who criticizes Chad in saying the following as I've said numerous times before:

He is a middle of the pack QB earning top dollar money. The hurt that he will be putting on our salary cap far outweighs the performance he puts on the field. By playing with a QB of his caliber, we are forced to build an incredibly solid D and running game. That is typically not an issue for most teams, such as BAL and TB in thew past. But it becomes a MAJOR issue if BAL and TB were paying Dilfer and Johnson respectivel at the level that we pay Pennington. If they were then they would never have the money to build a D and a running game like they had.

Chad is never going to be able to put this team solely on his back and win the big games. He needs an enormous supporting cast to do so. He is much more of a "don't do things to hurt your team" type of QB than he is a "go out and win for your team" QB.

OK B-76 so what would have Mangini do starting this Sunday against Buffalo-what would you WISH would happen at the QB position?

Yeah, because Kellen Clemens has really proved himself to be a successful NFL quarterback.

And don't even start that I'm a Pennylogist or whatever your lame ass names are for it Penny Haters, because I'm probably a bigger Kellen Clemens guy then you all are. There is NO, ABSOLUTELY NO reason to start a rookie. None. You sit him for 1-2 years and THEN you give him the job, not before.

In 2008, unless Chad gets us into / wins us a Super Bowl, Kellen Clemens will be handed the job and if we don't have a running back in 2008 who can take the ball 25-30 times a game, good luck in that team succeding.

OK B-76 so what would have Mangini do starting this Sunday against Buffalo-what would you WISH would happen at the QB position?

You have asked the same hypothetical question in numerous threads.

That is all it is, a hypothetical question.

Booz pretty much laid the "facts" on the line about PennyBoy.

Let me ask you a "hypothetical" question SoFla. What did Boozer say in his post that is not 100% accurate?

Yeah, because Kellen Clemens has really proved himself to be a successful NFL quarterback.

And don't even start that I'm a Pennylogist or whatever your lame ass names are for it Penny Haters, because I'm probably a bigger Kellen Clemens guy then you all are. There is NO, ABSOLUTELY NO reason to start a rookie. None. You sit him for 1-2 years and THEN you give him the job, not before.

In 2008, unless Chad gets us into / wins us a Super Bowl, Kellen Clemens will be handed the job and if we don't have a running back in 2008 who can take the ball 25-30 times a game, good luck in that team succeding.

I'm just WAITING for someone to actually say it 124....I want to see it IN PRINT what they REALLY wish would happen

99% of Penny-bashers want Chad to play the rest of the rest of the year.

At this point we have to play with the hand that is dealt, the problem is we are holding a 10 3 offsuit hoping to catch a couple of cards on the turn and the river with a lot of money in the pot.

I'm just WAITING for someone to actually say it 124....I want to see it IN PRINT what they REALLY wish would happen

No one wants Chad benched, NO ONE, what don't you get about that, NO ONE WANTS CHAD BENCHED FOR SUNDAY'S GAME.

What we are discussing is whether Chad is the long-term future of the Jet orginization and whether he should be handed the starting job in 2007.

You have asked the same hypothetical question in numerous threads.

That is all it is, a hypothetical question.

Booz pretty much laid the "facts" on the line about PennyBoy.

Let me ask you a "hypothetical" question SoFla. What did Boozer say in his post that is not 100% accurate?

I want to know what Boozer wishes would happen in regards to Chad starting Sunday-I mean if he could have one wish...what would it be?That's all I wanna know.I understand HOW he feels about Chad's limitations but I want to read his wish for the Jets QBing situation

Honestly, I'm all for going for a playoff run this year. But not for my sake or for Chad's sake. We're not going to be a force in the playoffs if we get there. in fact we'll likely get blown over as a nice warmup to whomever we play. That's the bottom line truth. It would take miracle upon miracle for us to make a real push in the playoffs.

So for my sake personally, yeah it's nice to see that we made the playoffs. for Chad;'s sake, it adds to a nice story that guys like you can spank yourselves over. But for Mangini, it gives him an enormous amount of credibility around the league. it drives players to put up with his tough camps for a chance to win. It entices would be FA's to strongly consider playing here, whereas they would possibly not want to come here to a tough CS if we were not overacheiving so much. This playoff run legitimizes Mangini as one of the best up and coming coaches in the league, and for the Jets sake that's a great thing.

I fully agree that Pennington is best for the team to win right now. I completely disagree that he is the best option for the future. Is Clemens the future? Maybe. I hope so. If he's not then we look elsewhere. But keeping with Pennington solely on the fear mentality of "what if we do worse" is exactly the same driving force that had people the likes of you rooting intensely for us to keep Herm Edwards here.

No one wants Chad benched, NO ONE, what don't you get about that, NO ONE WANTS CHAD BENCHED FOR SUNDAY'S GAME.

What we are discussing is whether Chad is the long-term future of the Jet orginization and whether he should be handed the starting job in 2007.

and you think it'll be "handed" to him because he's Chad Pennington?

I fully agree that Pennington is best for the team to win right now. I completely disagree that he is the best option for the future. Is Clemens the future? Maybe. I hope so. If he's not then we look elsewhere. But keeping with Pennington solely on the fear mentality of "what if we do worse" is exactly the same driving force that had people the likes of you rooting intensely for us to keep Herm Edwards here.

you see this is where you're wrong Booz-it has NOTHING to do with "what if we do worse" it's all about who,this coaching staff-the paid professionals think gives the Jets the best chance to win on any given Sunday.That's the credo.

It's not the Herm Edwards era anymore where-"hey we went to the playoffs 3 outta 5 years so it's good enough" this kid Mangini wants to win a Super Bowl or 4-

and hey who said I rooted to keep Edwards here-don't put one that on me...

you see this is where you're wrong Booz-it has NOTHING to do with "what if we do worse" it's all about who,this coaching staff-the paid professionals think gives the Jets the best chance to win on any given Sunday.That's the credo.

It's not the Herm Edwards era anymore where-"hey we went to the playoffs 3 outta 5 years so it's good enough" this kid Mangini wants to win a Super Bowl or 4-

How do you know if it's best for the future when you don't know who Mangini will start in the future? It's things like this that make your position so baffling. I don't think you understood my last post even, but I don't want to be a jerk about it, so I'll just drop it.

It would take miracle upon miracle for us to make a real push in the playoffs.

Just want to add a little dose of reality to this:

For the Jets to reach the Super Bowl, they would have to beat either the Colts, Broncos, Pats or Chargers three consectutive weekends ON THE ROAD.

Pigs have a greater chance of flying then the Jets do of pulling that off. ;)

OK, so it's that route you're going to take. Why do we have a Jets message board then? We are all supposed to take the coaches stance as gospel and leave it at that is what your defense is? We have no place to discuss the future of this team? No debate about players or decisions? You're right, let's not discuss the draft in the offseason either. Why don't you just start one thread titled "The Coach is Always Right, There Is No Debate Amongst Fans", lock it immediately and have Max delete every other thread in the forum. We can leave the Lounge open for Jets fans to connect about the impact of Greengal's lyric theads on their lives. Great idea!!

Archived