Is Bush really that Great?

SouthernJet

I remember the game against Pittsburgh where Eric Metcalf single-handedly beat the Steelers.

Here is a brief bio:

A multi-talented player, Metcalf excelled at offense and as a returner on special teams. In his second NFL season, he led the league in kickoff return yards (1,052) and return touchdowns (2). He also led the NFL in punt return touchdowns in 4 different seasons(1993-1995, 1997). Overall, Metcalf finished his career with 2,392 rushing yards, 541 receptions for 5,572 yards, 3,453 punt return yards, and 5,813 yards returning kickoffs. This gave him a total of 17,230 all-purpose yards, ranking him among the NFL's top 10 in that category at the time of his retirement. He also scored 55 touchdowns(12 rushing, 31 receiving, 10 punt returns, 2 kickoff returns). His 12 kickoff return touchdowns are the second most in NFL history behind Brian Mitchell, and his 10 punt return touchdowns are an NFL record.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Metcalf

The big difference was that Metclaf received nowhere near the hype coming out of College that Bush did. Nor the media ball-licking.

True dat

His 12 kickoff return touchdowns are the second most in NFL history

That record may get broken by the time Devin Hester is done.

I think bush is a more fluid runner, tho.

Looks like it... except I doubt Reggie will be with as many teams as Metcalf was...

The reason Metcalf was on so many teams is because he was beaten up so much during his glory years in Cleveland.

After he left the Browns every other team he went to thought he had some gas left in the tank.

Bush may go down the same path after he gets the crap beaten out of him in New Orleans the next 4 seasons.

Why?

I think that is a good comparison.

I have not drunken the Bush Koolaid, but as Tex pointed out, his receiving numbers are sick. I am just sick of all the hype that he was the sole reason for USC's success and the Saints turnaround. Obviously, he is a weapon and needs to be accounted for, but the Saints have alot of other weapons also.

Bush is much faster.

And will get stronger.

I can't wait to see him in a couple of years.

Will he be a side show freak or a legitimate back? The amount of fulltime backs at his size can probably be counted on one or two hands.

yes, because 5 years from now he'll be 26, thats such a horrible age for a running back!

That is all fine and good.

However, he was the 2nd pick. If I am a GM and my second pick over takes 5 years to become a fulltime back. I am going to be pissed and probably fired. You do not spend the 2nd overall pick on a 3rd down back.

That is all fine and good.

However, he was the 2nd pick. If I am a GM and my second pick over takes 5 years to become a fulltime back. I am going to be pissed and probably fired. You do not spend the 2nd overall pick on a 3rd down back.

but Bush is racking up mad yardage and putting fans in the seats now

who cares if he's not LT or LJ yet? He's still going to have a better career than Jones-Drew, Moroney, Leon and Addai probably will

Archived