Very interesting blurb in Newsday article about Leon

AFJF

Jets still talking about Leon's screen

BY TOM ROCK

Newsday Staff Writer

December 27, 2006, 11:20 PM EST

Before he was running circles around Dolphins defenders on Monday night, Leon Washington was running around his Jets teammates during training camp.

As part of Eric Mangini's crime-and-punishment regulations, every time Washington fumbled a handoff, dropped a pass or muffed a punt, he had to run a lap around the perimeter of the practice field.

It happened a lot.

"There were days I got home and called my dad and said, 'Dad, I ran more laps today then I actually ran the ball at practice,'" Washington recalled Wednesday. The running back was still basking in the gasps produced by his 64-yard, screen-pass catch-and-run that set up the game-winning field goal and very well might have saved the Jets' season. That reception made Washington the first Jet since Johnny Hector in 1986 to have a 100-yard rushing and 100-yard receiving game in the same season, a feat that would have seemed ridiculous when he was bobbling balls this summer.

The screen pass was 64 yards, but Washington caught the ball 6 yards behind the line of scrimmage, making the distance he covered after the catch 70 yards. After watching the play on tape, left guard Pete Kendall described the blocking as "three guys in the way," meaning it was all Leon scooting away from the Dolphins with a series of cuts and bursts. Even Washington himself seemed stunned by some of his moves.

"Basically, I just used my God- given ability, my talents," he said, calling his cuts on the wet grass in Miami some of the sharpest he has made all season.

The Jets knew they were getting those moves when they drafted Washington out of Florida State in the fourth round last spring.

What had become clouded was his ability to hold onto the football.

"He has good hands," Mangini said.

"They didn't disappear. They weren't cut off. I think it just might have been a little bit of the excitement, but I give him credit. I was on him every single day. I got sick of saying his name, he got sick of hearing it, and I've stopped saying it for the most part."

His first big NFL play was a 47-yard screen against the Bills in September, but that receiving production faltered until recently. Washington has 23 catches for 253 yards, but 13 of them and 162 yards have come in the last four games. He has fumbled the ball only three times, turning it over once.

By using him as their top punt returner and incorporating him into their offense through various methods, the Jets have shown that they trust Washington to keep his grip on the football.

Even when -- or maybe especially when -- the season is on the line.

Notes & quotes: The Jets will play a third straight game against a top 10 defense on Sunday. It'll be the eighth game against teams currently in the top 10. "I know the numbers say there can only be 10 of them," Kendall said, "but it seems like every week for 16 weeks we've faced a top 10 defense." The Jets are 4-3 against those elite units, averaging 292 yards in those games but only 13.3 points thanks to shutouts by the Jaguars and Bears . . . Sunday could be a Sweet 16 for Pennington, on the verge of completing his first full 16-game season as a starter. "To be able to make it through a season and persevere through a lot of difficult challenges does mean a lot, and I'm excited about the 16th challenge," he said ... RBs Kevan Barlow (thigh) and Cedric Houston (calf) were listed as questionable along with seven other Jets including starters Kerry Rhodes (knee), Laveranues Coles (head/jaw) and Andre Dyson (knee) . . . Former Jets RB LaMont Jordan (knee) is out for the Raiders.

So if the Jets beat the Raiders that means Chad will have gone 5 and 3 and top 10 defenses this season?

Too friggin funny.

what are you talking about Max? Why only yesterday I read over at JI that Chad is 1-4 against top 10 defenses...that reporter must be wrong...

what are you talking about Max? Why only yesterday I read over at JI that Chad is 1-4 against top 10 defenses...that reporter must be wrong...

Funny how he's 4-3 this season, but some would lead you to believe he's 1-650 lifetime as some would imply.

Funny how he's 4-3 this season, but some would lead you to believe he's 1-650 lifetime as some would imply.

Tex has them well trained over at JI...don't let the facts get in the way of your agenda...I noted to them as to what the new rule is when discussing CP and the Jets-NOTHING THAT HAPPENED UNDER HERMAN EDWARDS IS RELEVANT ANYMORE-ONLY WHAT HAS HAPPENED UNDER MANGINI NOW APPLIES

SMC

Jets Insider VIP

False: Chad cannot beat a top 10 defense.

True: Chad has a bad record against top 10 defenses, currently 6-15.

There's a big difference between the two. While Chad has defeated top 10 defenses he has a very poor record against them. These are just the facts.

Tex has them well trained over at JI...don't let the facts get in the way of your agenda...I noted to them as to what the new rule is when discussing CP and the Jets-NOTHING THAT HAPPENED UNDER HERMAN EDWARDS IS RELEVANT ANYMORE-ONLY WHAT HAS HAPPENED UNDER MANGINI NOW APPLIES

SMC

Jets Insider VIP

False: Chad cannot beat a top 10 defense.

True: Chad has a bad record against top 10 defenses, currently 6-15.

There's a big difference between the two. While Chad has defeated top 10 defenses he has a very poor record against them. These are just the facts.

Facts...or as Tx would call them...kryptonite

if chad gets hurt again, the fact that he was hurt badly 3x under Herman Edwards would be VERY relevant.

Unless it happens its irrelavant... dont speculate on it becuase based on what we know of Mangini (TC - week 17) he keeps Chad very healthy and through some tough hits... we have no reason to think otherwise right now.

I think it is a very good rule becuase Mangini and Herm are like night and day, therefore so is the way things are going around the JETS camp...

i disagree with this "rule"

if chad gets hurt again, the fact that he was hurt badly 3x under Herman Edwards would be VERY relevant.

hey bitonti-is there anyone coming out on your DD report who could fill the Richard Seymour type role for us? Or maybe some A.J. Hawkish mean-assed LBer?I know you said a few weeks ago that it's a weak draft class for the fat guys on the DL-I'm thinking DE 1st round...

hey bitonti-is there anyone coming out on your DD report who could fill the Richard Seymour type role for us? Or maybe some A.J. Hawkish mean-assed LBer?I know you said a few weeks ago that it's a weak draft class for the fat guys on the DL-I'm thinking DE 1st round...

SFJ, I like that kid on fla state- buster davis

http://scoreboards.aol.com/football/ncaaf/player/23900/player.aspx

SFJ, I like that kid on fla state- buster davis

http://scoreboards.aol.com/football/ncaaf/player/23900/player.aspx

I was going to ask you about Florida State JC-because I saw them on TV while I was working last night and remembered what that defense did to our Canes opening night...

This is something I've been thinking about for a few days.I feel Mangini will try and find HIS own Seymour being how crucial he's been to NE's success during their run.........you know, back in the early part of this century

I was going to ask you about Florida State JC-because I saw them on TV while I was working last night and remembered what that defense did to our Canes opening night...

This is something I've been thinking about for a few days.I feel Mangini will try and find HIS own Seymour being how crucial he's been to NE's success during their run.........you know, back in the early part of this century

As it turned out, it was the Canes offense that continued to be inept under Llllllarry Coker's watch- not so much that the fsu D was that good.

But i know Buster is a baller (hee hee :P ), and I think he'll be successful at the next level.

As it turned out, it was the Canes offense that continued to be inept under Llllllarry Coker's watch- not so much that the fsu D was that good.

But i know Buster is a baller (hee hee :P ), and I think he'll be successful at the next level.

how about any DE's you're looking at?

how about any DE's you're looking at?

Of the Hurricanes, DT Kareem Brown is going to the senior bowl, and I think that kid Baraka Atkins (DE) has definite potential- keep an eye on him and how he does at the combine.

Mike, that was the 2005 game.

Of the Hurricanes, DT Kareem Brown is going to the senior bowl, and I think that kid Baraka Atkins (DE) has definite potential- keep an eye on him and how he does at the combine.

QUOTE]

DT Kareem Brown 6'4" 315......pretty impressive

Baraka Adams sounds like a Mangini type player who can play end and tackle...

CAREER: Personable defensive lineman who has moved back to defensive end after splitting his first three seasons between both defensive tackle and end...Will also play inside on occasion...All-Conference candidate has started 35 games the last three seasons...Has a potent pass rush and big-play ability, as evidenced by his 14 sacks and 20.5 tackles for loss in three seasons...His 14 sacks leads all returning players...Graduated in 2005 with a degree in business management and is pursuing a second degree in marketing...Father is the mayor of Sarasota, Fla.

If? Wow. If you weren't a Raider fan we'd really be wondering about you. Can't imagine too many people are counting on anything more than a retirement ceremony from Curtis next year.

Like ive said i have a girl who loves the jets. C-mart is my favorite RB though and i hope he does come back ready. How would you guys like to get lamont back?

Not at all, I would rather send you a 7th round pick to just keep him away...

There are rookies in the draft that are much better than him, Leon/Houston>Lamont

Leon and hosuston are not better then lamont at all although i do like leon. Lamont tore it up his first season and looked like a real pro bowl RB. We have a OC form the 70s and a coach from the early 80s thats why our offense as a whole is pathtic. I really like lamont but your really underestimating him.

Like ive said i have a girl who loves the jets. C-mart is my favorite RB though and i hope he does come back ready. How would you guys like to get lamont back?

Eh. I liked Lamont, but his attitude was always questionable and he's hurt an awful lot. That ship has sailed. More than half this site is infatuated with Michael Turner. We'd better not give up the farm for him though. I don't really care. It's just one of a bunch of spots I'd like to upgrade. Leon looks good, but even when he's looking good he is having too many negative carries. He'll be in the mix though no matter who we get.

Eh. I liked Lamont, but his attitude was always questionable and he's hurt an awful lot. That ship has sailed. More than half this site is infatuated with Michael Turner. We'd better not give up the farm for him though. I don't really care. It's just one of a bunch of spots I'd like to upgrade. Leon looks good, but even when he's looking good he is having too many negative carries. He'll be in the mix though no matter who we get.

turner looks good but hes got a really good O-line and the best RB with him as well as the best FB blocking for him so remember that. Lamont is a good RB and when we get a real OC and coach it will be like 04 again stat wise for him.

Archived