Keys to beating the Patriots

steve mcqueen

1. Boise State sort of stole my thunder a little...but we need to score points in unexpected ways. Early on it might be worth it to try some weird stuff...no not standard NFL gadgetry like reverses, flea flickers....stuff Belichick won't find looking at film of us this year. Mangini has to draw up new stuff! Damn Boise for using the Statue of Liberty Play! That's something we could use on Sunday! It's time to be creative. Fake a punt, line up for an extra point, then go for 2!

2. Miller needs a solid game returning kicks, he's fast as lightning, breaks tackles, and hits the holes faster than anybody in the NFL. New England will score on us...but when they do we need to answer back right away with a big return. God willing...he might break one for us. It's a way to snatch the momentum right back. The field turf at Gillette will help guys like Miller and Washington make cuts better.

He's been somewhat quiet since the TD return in the Cleveland game, we need him to be at his best Sunday. He's due.

3. McCariens. The Jets will have a sequence when we will nibble, nibble, nibble with little 2-3 yard completions and runs, then in an unexpected situation try to hit McCariens over the top for a big pass play. Chad needs to get the ball there, Justin needs to catch it. We're probably only going to have one chance at this.

4. Screen passes...work like hell to disguise them because Leon is deadly in the open field. A 30-40 yard gain on one of them could be a huge momentum shift.

5. Don't bother running Leon up the middle because he will be engulfed by the Pats line, we need to pitch it out to him and let him go around...they'll have a tough time catching him. Vrabel and Bruschi are not as quick as they used to be. I don't expect Houston to chew up chunks of yardage up the gut, he's no earl campbell. But if he can get 3-4 yards a pop, we'll be ok.

6. They're going to blitz chad from his blind spot...and a few times they will get through. When this happens Chad needs to hold onto the football. no fumbles going the other way.

7. Brady doesn't have the weapons he once did, Caldwell and 36 year old Troy Brown. Blitz him some. He might make some plays, but so can we...possibly force him into turnovers. Try it early, if they pick it up well then lay off.

8. I hate to advocate cheating (no I don't) but Belichicken will probably make Graham a bigger part of the offense. He's a decent pass catching tight end. Hold him up at the line, disrupt his routes. I don't know if Watson will play but if he does we have to do the same to him.

The Jets are playing with house money here and that makes 'em very dangerous. They have far exceeded anyone's expectations and perhaps even their own. A relatively no-name team whose sum total is pretty darn good. Penguin boy has successfully brought the TEAM approach to the Jets (no wonder Mawae was let go).....anyway, I expect a sh*tload of trick plays.

The Jets are playing with house money here and that makes 'em very dangerous. They have far exceeded anyone's expectations and perhaps even their own. A relatively no-name team whose sum total is pretty darn good. Penguin boy has successfully brought the TEAM approach to the Jets (no wonder Mawae was let go).....anyway, I expect a sh*tload of trick plays.

What is Mangini going to do, pull a burger out of his Jets Parka, yeah that would be some trick

What is Mangini going to do, pull a burger out of his Jets Parka, yeah that would be some trick

I heard this on a local Boston TV station this evening. During half-time of the Jets/Pats game in November - Eric was walking through the tunnel and a fan yelled "Hey Eric, you may want to try mixing in a salad!"

Here is a key for the jets, and maybee Mangini could show this tape before the jets come to the land of champions

1 Watch Celtic Pride

2 Kidnap Tom Brady

3 Kidnap Bill Belichick

4 say 10 our fathers and 25 hail mary's that we lose by a respectable amt...

:box:

Great football post. A Jets fan outlines in depth analysis on what needs to be done technically and this is the response.

Keep up the good work!

1. Boise State sort of stole my thunder a little...but we need to score points in unexpected ways. Early on it might be worth it to try some weird stuff...no not standard NFL gadgetry like reverses, flea flickers....stuff Belichick won't find looking at film of us this year. Mangini has to draw up new stuff! Damn Boise for using the Statue of Liberty Play! That's something we could use on Sunday! It's time to be creative. Fake a punt, line up for an extra point, then go for 2!

2. Miller needs a solid game returning kicks, he's fast as lightning, breaks tackles, and hits the holes faster than anybody in the NFL. New England will score on us...but when they do we need to answer back right away with a big return. God willing...he might break one for us. It's a way to snatch the momentum right back. The field turf at Gillette will help guys like Miller and Washington make cuts better.

He's been somewhat quiet since the TD return in the Cleveland game, we need him to be at his best Sunday. He's due.

3. McCariens. The Jets will have a sequence when we will nibble, nibble, nibble with little 2-3 yard completions and runs, then in an unexpected situation try to hit McCariens over the top for a big pass play. Chad needs to get the ball there, Justin needs to catch it. We're probably only going to have one chance at this.

4. Screen passes...work like hell to disguise them because Leon is deadly in the open field. A 30-40 yard gain on one of them could be a huge momentum shift.

5. Don't bother running Leon up the middle because he will be engulfed by the Pats line, we need to pitch it out to him and let him go around...they'll have a tough time catching him. Vrabel and Bruschi are not as quick as they used to be. I don't expect Houston to chew up chunks of yardage up the gut, he's no earl campbell. But if he can get 3-4 yards a pop, we'll be ok.

6. They're going to blitz chad from his blind spot...and a few times they will get through. When this happens Chad needs to hold onto the football. no fumbles going the other way.

7. Brady doesn't have the weapons he once did, Caldwell and 36 year old Troy Brown. Blitz him some. He might make some plays, but so can we...possibly force him into turnovers. Try it early, if they pick it up well then lay off.

8. I hate to advocate cheating (no I don't) but Belichicken will probably make Graham a bigger part of the offense. He's a decent pass catching tight end. Hold him up at the line, disrupt his routes. I don't know if Watson will play but if he does we have to do the same to him.

There are MANY good points in here. Chad needs to execute the gameplan perfectly. No room for turnoevers. You are right. He will be sacked. He MUST hold on to the ball.

And I think JMac is important in this game. The secondary will be aggressive. JMac has had a knack this year of getting deep in his limited action. They might have one shot to make the Pats pay. They have to connect on that strike.

It won't be easy for the Jets. It will be fun to watch though.

The Jets need to keep NE honest like Barlow did last game with the running game to generate some yardage on the ground. Bend but not break on defense- let NE settle for field goals instead of TD's. Win the turnover battle.

Watch the battle at the line. That is going to determine the game.

When the Pats won in September the controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the football.

When the Jets won in New England they controlled it.

Pats have looked better offfensively the last two weeks. The Jets D has been alot better the second half of the season.

I think it is going to be a real good game. I do though think the Jets are going to have to play just about a perfect game to beat the Pats.

The Keys of the game in my opinion will be a game time decision. I don't think either team can out think the other since they know each other inside and out.

1. Both teams will blitz and try to use pressure on the QB...the Jets have the advantage over the Pats in this regard because of speed.

2. The Pats will play the linebackers in a cover zone which will try to take away the dinks and dunks from Penny.

3. The Pats will double team Coles and/or Cotch and when this is done, the linebackers will try to hold thier position for the running game and that's when the play of the Jets tightends will be big.

4. I still don't think or believe that the Pats wanted the Jets in the First Round (no way), a first round match up goes in favor of the Jets because the Jets already beat the Pats in Foxboro, a game in which they controlled the line of scrimmage.

5. In the end, Penny will do enough, the running game will do enough, the defense will be tough enough and the difference from this team from the 2004 team will be the in game coaching and our field goal kicker.....Jets 27...Pats 24.

after seeing some film one of the keys I see defensively is to make the two outside LBers stay at home because when NE was able to do damage against us running the ball was when Dillon or Maroney would take that hop step outside.It'll also help in the passing D game because Brady doesn't throw the ball more than 7 yards in the air anymore

Me thinks Jets will be tricky and the Pats should try to ram their RB tandem down the Jest throat. Who will be successful? We shall see.

Anyway, I understand it's the playoff's - feelings intensify. Fan passion goes up a notch. Sometimes it gets hostile. Healthy debate and argument is one thing - but real hostility because of your fan allegience is another. So, I would like to express my concerns:

The fans at Foxboro are pretty terrific. Wasn't always like that. Kraft (and I am not a big fan of his money grubbing butt) has cleaned up the place big time. A big portion of the crowd is of the grey poupon ('gotta love those red club seats - NOT) variety. Swearing, heavy intoxication, bearing your chest and fighting will get you tossed and your season tickets revoked. However, me thinks this Sunday may be a bit "tense." I sense some real angst (do not read that as fear, people) and anger amongst some Jets and Pats fans. Sometimes I wonder if it is just a by-product of the BB-Penguin fued.....but something tells me this Sunday will not be totally civil. I hope I am wrong.

For example - I had the displeasure of meeting one Jets fan from a rival Board at the last meeting. The dude was itching for a fight. He was being "monitored" (I call it "mothered") by his friends. I highly doubt he will be contained this Sunday.

Me thinks Jets will be tricky and the Pats should try to ram their RB tandem down the Jest throat. Who will be successful? We shall see.

Anyway, I understand it's the playoff's - feelings intensify. Fan passion goes up a notch. Sometimes it gets hostile. Healthy debate and argument is one thing - but real hostility because of your fan allegience is another. So, I would like to express my concerns:

The fans at Foxboro are pretty terrific. Wasn't always like that. Kraft (and I am not a big fan of his money grubbing butt) has cleaned up the place big time. A big portion of the crowd is of the grey poupon ('gotta love those red club seats - NOT) variety. Swearing, heavy intoxication, bearing your chest and fighting will get you tossed and your season tickets revoked. However, me thinks this Sunday may be a bit "tense." I sense some real angst (do not read that as fear, people) and anger amongst some Jets and Pats fans. Sometimes I wonder if it is just a by-product of the BB-Penguin fued.....but something tells me this Sunday will not be totally civil. I hope I am wrong.

For example - I had the displeasure of meeting one Jets fan from a rival Board at the last meeting. The dude was itching for a fight. He was being "monitored" (I call it "mothered") by his friends. I highly doubt he will be contained this Sunday.

Garb someone wanted to pick a fight with you- come on tell all who was it? Inquiring and nosy minds want to know!

Please elaborate. Do tell, Do tell. :)

Garb someone wanted to pick a fight with you- come on tell all who was it? Inquiring and nosy minds want to know!

Not with me. I'm a girl. That comes in handy sometimes. :)

But trust me, the guy had 'fight' written all over his face. He is what some people here would call a dou--bag. Now, there are plenty of Pats fan dou--bags too. I just don't want to be around any of them.

The key to this game is STOP THE RUN

That is the only key to this Game .The pats put down new turf and they are going to run the Ball on us like Crazy.Dillion and Moroney are not that banged up so expect alot of the 1 - 2 Punch from the Patsies.If we stop the run this might be are only chance to win this game IMO.

Brady against us AND Miami fell apart under constant pressure so I guess yes it is important to force them into obvious throwing situations and mix up our blitz schemes.

As for the new turf at Gillette.........who does everyone think that gives a edge to if either team???

Brady against us AND Miami fell apart under constant pressure so I guess yes it is important to force them into obvious throwing situations and mix up our blitz schemes.

As for the new turf at Gillette.........who does everyone think that gives a edge to if either team???

I think the new turf favors the Jets, Leon washington is going to run and catch the ball like we haven't seen before...he will be an all purpose back come sunday.

The Keys of the game in my opinion will be a game time decision. I don't think either team can out think the other since they know each other inside and out.

1. Both teams will blitz and try to use pressure on the QB...the Jets have the advantage over the Pats in this regard because of speed.

2. The Pats will play the linebackers in a cover zone which will try to take away the dinks and dunks from Penny.

3. The Pats will double team Coles and/or Cotch and when this is done, the linebackers will try to hold thier position for the running game and that's when the play of the Jets tightends will be big.

4. I still don't think or believe that the Pats wanted the Jets in the First Round (no way), a first round match up goes in favor of the Jets because the Jets already beat the Pats in Foxboro, a game in which they controlled the line of scrimmage.

5. In the end, Penny will do enough, the running game will do enough, the defense will be tough enough and the difference from this team from the 2004 team will be the in game coaching and our field goal kicker.....Jets 27...Pats 24.

I'd LOVE to make a prediction like this on the game, but the bottom line is that Chad is too inconsistent. If he shows up like I'm praying he does then I'm confident we will succeed. If he stays at home like a few of the games we played this season then we don't stand a chance.

I'd LOVE to make a prediction like this on the game, but the bottom line is that Chad is too inconsistent. If he shows up like I'm praying he does then I'm confident we will succeed. If he stays at home like a few of the games we played this season then we don't stand a chance.

Unfortunately if the Jets lose it will be blast Pennington time again by the usual subjects who don't appear to be posting anything Jet related after we made the play-offs.

Unfortunately if the Jets lose it will be blast Pennington time again by the usual subjects who don't appear to be posting anything Jet related after we made the play-offs.

hmmm... you're right GS....you think they ran out of new material?

HIT BRADY

HIT BRADY

HIT BRADY

HIT BRADY

RUSH BRADY

HIT HIM AGAIN

Also if we get pressure on Brady that will allow us to play more man to man on their weak WR's which in turn allows us to stop their run game.

If all goes well in this game we have the upperhand, the Pats will be looking ahead to round 2 and wont want to have a long hard fought day in the wildcard round, while our guys will be thrilled to be out there...

This is the 1 area where the PATS SB experience hurts them, why would guys want to hurt their bodies in a WC game when they already have a couple rings? It will be in the back of their minds...

I've never blasted Chad, but I AM a realist... and I realistically don't think he's the QB that will take us all the way. With that said, I hope he proves me VERY wrong.

I've never blasted Chad, but I AM a realist... and I realistically don't think he's the QB that will take us all the way. With that said, I hope he proves me VERY wrong.

Archived