Yanks salute Jeter

Maxman

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/303530p-259810c.html

Yanks salute Jeter

Bombers beam when captain shows stripes

BY ANTHONY McCARRON

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Players and observers cite Derek Jeter's fiery speech Sunday as just another chapter in the shortstop's legacy as leader both on field and in clubhouse.

Little glances are what give it away, the scout said. During a game's crucial moment, Derek Jeter's teammates always seem to be sneaking a look at him.

"That's how you know the Yankees are Jeter's team," said the scout who regularly eyes the Yankees. "Just like everyone understands it's (Jason) Varitek's team in Boston. It's obvious that everyone on the Yankees looks to Jeter for big plays. Body language tells me that they want him up at a tight time. I see them looking at him, they peek at him.

"They want him to be the spark."

Jeter, the Yankees' captain since June 3, 2003, has regularly been a leader by example on the field - witness his memorable, face-first crash into the stands last July 1 as he speared a foul ball - but over the weekend he demonstrated more verbal techniques, exhorting his teammates in two separate closed-door meetings.

Jeter spoke after Joe Torre on Saturday and then Jeter and other veterans reminded the Yanks they were a better team than they had shown in a players-only gathering before Sunday's game. The Yankees have have been disappointing this season, failing in every facet at times, and perhaps they needed a push.

"That's why we named him captain, because of the leadership," Yanks general manager Brian Cashman said. "Even before we named him captain, he was the unofficial captain because of the example he set every day. He's a go-to guy for a very large number of people.

"Whatever took place (Sunday) in whatever meeting that went on, he wasn't any more of a captain than the day before when we lost," Cashman added. "He takes that position, that role very seriously and he provides leadership on a daily basis in one-on-one conversations or whatever's needed.

"He just reacts, based on what's in the wind on a daily basis. He reacts to the atmosphere around this club."

Jeter was unhappy when he was asked about Sunday's meeting, upset that it had become public, and he declined to talk about it specifically. But whether he likes it or not, the meeting likely will become part of the Jeter mythology.

That catalog also includes the day of Game 6 of the 2001 World Series, when he twice confronted Bernie Williams for showing up late to the ballpark. A major league executive once played a videotape of Jeter running out a routine ground ball so other players could absorb his hustle. And the scout said that with the game on the line, the Yankees would want the ball hit to only one infielder: Jeter.

"This guy is off-the-charts with leadership," the scout said, "and it helps that he makes plays. The idea that he's the guy the players want to do it is something they'd never say, not with A-Rod or (Gary) Sheffield on the team. But if they'd answer truthfully, Jeter's the guy.

"He has bought into the Yankee corporate style. He's the epitome of it. He's the guy who sets the tone in the clubhouse, the guy who makes rookies comfortable. New York can be an uncomfortable place to play and he's always around. He helps bridge that. Some guys won't ever be comfortable, but he'll help."

<YAWN> I'm sure Jeter will become a great leader again just as soon as George gets Justin Schmidt, Lance Berkman, and Pujols on the roster.

Talk about one over-rated son of a b!tch.

Who is Justin? Wasn't he one of the Back Street Boys?

Or do you mean Jason?

Good thing you are not a mod in this forum. DOH.

Jeter finally shows some Captain attributes and he is lauded as a great captain.

Where was he when Millar was opening his big mouth and bashing a-hole rod?

He defintely 'set the example' there and showed what the rest of the team thinks of him.

Jeter finally shows some Captain attributes and he is lauded as a great captain.

Where was he when Millar was opening his big mouth and bashing a-hole rod?

He defintely 'set the example' there and showed what the rest of the team thinks of him.

Why should he defend the defenseless? Instead he chose to let AROD look in the mirror and try to improve some things.

It was a good call.

They will never understand the greatness of Jeter. #-o

For the better part of two years all we have heard is how Nosemar is better. Now that Mrs. Hamm is outta Boston we have a new pretender to the throne.

Edgar Renteria.

Good SS not in Jeter's area code though.

Never will any non-Yankee fan understand the greatness of Jeter but he is one of a kind. Captain Jeter forever baby. =D>

I guess he needs to win one as the unquestioned leader of the team to make that article stand.

Lord knows the Yanks have brought in enough stars in the likes of Sheffield-Giambi-Randy and Arod to try and assist Jeter in winning another ring.

Most fans will agree that although Jeter was a key part of the 96-2000 group, they were in no way led by Derek Jeter.

I think this year the Yank fan comes to fully appreciate just how good Arod is.

<YAWN> I'm sure Jeter will become a great leader again just as soon as George gets Jason Schmidt, Lance Berkman, and Pujols on the roster.

Talk about one over-rated son of a b!tch.

and who the hell is the Mets SS again? Matsui? Reyes? :lol:

I guess he needs to win one as the unquestioned leader of the team to make that article stand.

Lord knows the Yanks have brought in enough stars in the likes of Sheffield-Giambi-Randy and Arod to try and assist Jeter in winning another ring.

Most fans will agree that although Jeter was a key part of the 96-2000 group, they were in no way led by Derek Jeter.

I think this year the Yank fan comes to fully appreciate just how good Arod is.

Ouch. If you bandwagon front-running Yankee "fans" actually cared about "your" "team" I guess that would hurt alot. :lol:

Archived