And the Jets starting RB next season should be....

Jetsfan80

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
New England is living proof you don't need a stud at RB to win. Their 01 title, their 03 title (i forgot, but i don't think they had dillon yet) and now. having a true #1 is overrated. would the jets like an upgrade? yes, who wouldn't. do the jets NEED an upgrade, not necessarily.

Exactly how I feel.

A solid OL masks a lot of things. It also helps when a player LIKE a Shaun Alexander goes down your team isn't in the crapper with the season over.

And since when is Shaun Alexander in is prime available to us anyway? Best anyone can say is that Lynch looks similar. Before any true comparisons can be made to a player who's headed for the HOF, let's see him get 10 TD's in 1 season before saying he's the next anything. Until then, it holds the same merit as saying Leon is the next Barry Sanders.

Leon Washington is an explosive 3rd down/change of pace back, he's NOT full time material.

Nothing would make me happier than Michael Turner carrying the load next season with Leon getting 8-10 touches a game.

I agree with you about Leon, but not Turner.

He has 157 carries in 3 seasons. That is half the amount of carries a #1 back has in a single season.

I agree with you about Leon, but not Turner.

He has 157 carries in 3 seasons. That is half the amount of carries a #1 back has in a single season.

Turner still has boatloads of talent and everyone is almost certain that this guy will be a dominant back in the NFL. Would I trade our 1st round pick? No, but I would trade the Skins 2nd rounder to bring him in.

Petersen and Lynch will already be off the board when we pick and there are no elite backs in FA.

The guy is 5'10 237 with great breakaway speed and he's been learning behind one of the all-time greats the past 3 years. He's only 24 years old and his potential is limitless.

Really?

So you think that Houston/Barlow/Blaylock/Askew (one of them) could be our #1 guy next year?

Becuase all I said was with our current RB's Leon would be the #1 guy getting most of the carries, which is what happened this year BTW...

I said that would only be the case unless we got an upgrade... but hey if you think one of the other guys can start then i guess I only speak for 99% of JETS fans when i say that...

I misread your post.

I did not think you were just stating the obvious. Seriously, why would you post that? As if we are questioning that in the first place. No ****, Shirley. Way to go all Herm on me.

That's like saying "Brian Schottenheimer is our offensive coordinator until he leaves". Really?

Did you just imply that JEFF GARCIA is better than CHAD PENNINGTON. wow, well that's just amazing. Good work.

How is that such a stretch? In the right system, they can both be decent quarterbacks that take you to the playoffs and maybe win a game or so before getting bounced to the offseason. At least Garcia can make something out of nothing and has a bit of mobility, unlike Chad. I would call them a wash since Garcia is so much older, but Garcia undeniably has better physical tools than Chad.

How is that such a stretch? In the right system, they can both be decent quarterbacks that take you to the playoffs and maybe win a game or so before getting bounced to the offseason. At least Garcia can make something out of nothing and has a bit of mobility, unlike Chad. I would call them a wash since Garcia is so much older, but Garcia undeniably has better physical tools than Chad.

Yea, but he's gay.

weirdjeffgarciapicture.jpg

garcia also had some stacked 49er teams. now people didn't think he could do anything, and they were sort of wrong. he could do some stuff, for a little while.

put him on the jets and see how far the jets make it. not like we can prove it, but my argument will be closed with.

I'm right.

You are wrong.

garcia also had some stacked 49er teams. now people didn't think he could do anything, and they were sort of wrong. he could do some stuff, for a little while.

put him on the jets and see how far the jets make it. not like we can prove it, but my argument will be closed with.

I'm right.

You are wrong.

The hell you are.

There is not much difference between Chad Pennington and Jeff Garcia. That is a fact, jack. Garcia is older, more mobile, has more playmaking ability, a slightly stronger (though still below average) arm, and sucks more ****s. Both average starting QBs that can succeed in the correct system, but will fail miserably outside of their little coccoon.

Why do some people think Chad is such a good QB? Because he happens to start for the Jets? Because he had a fluke season four years ago that he has never come remotely close to approaching again? Chad and Garcia are about the same.

I'm getting real, real sick of the "Let's see what Chad can do with some weapons". If I do recall, Chad has played most of his career with a Hall of Fame running back, a multiple-time All Pro center, a few other fantastic offensive linemen (Thomas, Kendall, McKenzie), Pro Bowl receivers like Santana Moss and Lauveranues Coles, not to mention Wayne Chrebet.

What ****ing weapons do you want? Should we trade for TO and Randy Moss? Bring in LaDainian and Chad will show 'em who's boss! Maybe swing a little trade for Jon Ogden or Walter Jones? Yeah, now we're talking. Then Chad will have his weapons.

No because you are the sort that would love to trade all of the jets picks to get adrian peterson.

And you're right, Leon sucks, that's why he didn't do anything when it mattered (second round with the phins, and the playoffs)

It's RT or RG, its not the back.

DID I SAY LEON SUCKED? REALLY? WHERE DID I SAY THAT?

If he's not a starter, he sucks? Is that what your saying? Leon will be a great backup, nothing more.

The hell you are.

There is not much difference between Chad Pennington and Jeff Garcia. That is a fact, jack. Garcia is older, more mobile, has more playmaking ability, a slightly stronger (though still below average) arm, and sucks more ****s. Both average starting QBs that can succeed in the correct system, but will fail miserably outside of their little coccoon.

Why do some people think Chad is such a good QB? Because he happens to start for the Jets? Because he had a fluke season four years ago that he has never come remotely close to approaching again? Chad and Garcia are about the same.

I'm getting real, real sick of the "Let's see what Chad can do with some weapons". If I do recall, Chad has played most of his career with a Hall of Fame running back, a multiple-time All Pro center, a few other fantastic offensive linemen (Thomas, Kendall, McKenzie), Pro Bowl receivers like Santana Moss and Lauveranues Coles, not to mention Wayne Chrebet.

What ****ing weapons do you want? Should we trade for TO and Randy Moss? Bring in LaDainian and Chad will show 'em who's boss! Maybe swing a little trade for Jon Ogden or Walter Jones? Yeah, now we're talking. Then Chad will have his weapons.

Clearly, they success of Tom Brady is keyed by his great offensive players around him.

NOT. Chad is a joke of a QB, and the excuses made for him are an even bigger joke. Brady has had little to nothing around him his entire career, and rolls off 3 SBs. Chad has had far better talent around him, and its not even CLOSE.

Brady never had probowl Olineman like Chad does, never had probowl WRs like Chad did (moss and coles), and never had a back as good as curtis martin for his 1st 2 superbowls.

It doesnt matter who our RB is next year, he wont do jack sh#t in a big game with Pennington behind center. They'll just dump 8 in the box, and stuff him while Chad continues to throw 3 yard slants, and dumpoffs.

Get a real QB in here, and watch this team explode to greatness.

The hell you are.

He would definatly be better with those weapons.

You do have a point when you say they can both thrive in their respective systems. My point is that Chad is overall a better QB.

As for him having one fluke season, it's been said before, but i guess i'll say it again. He continually gets the Jets to the Playoffs. So yeah, I like Chad. And yeah, he is better than Garcia.

The hell you are.

I have to back up Troll on this one.

Garcia had an immature TO on his team when he was with the 49ers. That's about it.

Riddle me this mdrago4: Tom Brady has done "ok" without any pro bowl WR's or RB's.

Why does he get it done and Chad doesn't?

He would definatly be better with those weapons.

You do have a point when you say they can both thrive in their respective systems. My point is that Chad is overall a better QB.

As for him having one fluke season, it's been said before, but i guess i'll say it again. He continually gets the Jets to the Playoffs. So yeah, I like Chad. And yeah, he is better than Garcia.

Chad Pennington: 3 playoff appearances, 2-3 record

Jeff Garcia: 3 playoff appearances, 2-3 record

Not to mention that Garcia's career numbers absolutely blow Chad's out of the water.

Garcia had an immature TO on his team when he was with the 49ers. That's about it.

Riddle me this mdrago4: Tom Brady has done "ok" without any pro bowl WR's or RB's.

first off, i hate brady. very much.

But the day i compare pennington to Brady, i think i'd be reaching.

but to garcia? I realize TO wasn't too hot when he was in San Fran, I meant the rest of his team was pretty good, offense and Defense.

I will take pennington over garcia anyday, past or presant.

(the only way to settle this is a quarterback challenge, the real test of QB-goodness) <----sarcasm

You ALMOST had that one there Steve but you had bring up the RB's and Corey Dillon has been a Pro Bowl back.

The hell you are.

:rl:

Awesome, Troll.

Never ceases to amaze me.

"If only Chad had the entire AFC starting lineup around him, he'd be amazing."

Ask Tom Gaydy about the amazing WR weapons at his disposal. Reche Caldwell & Jabar Gaffney? I mean what is it you think he'd do with Coles & Cotch instead? Only the same thing Chad's done?

Ask Drew Brees about the pro-bowl WR's he's had for his career. His #1 weapon this year was a 7th-round rookie. If Chad was saddled with Colston, old Joe Horn, Devery Henderson, and Terrance Copper, there would be complaints about how he's got no one to throw to. And with a couple of career backups & a mid-round rookie on the OL how he's got no protection either.

Who are the deadly receivers who allowed Michael Vick, one of the NFL's worst passers, to have 3 more TD's (and 3 fewer INT's) in like 100 fewer pass-attempts?

It's so absurd. The excuses will never end.

You ALMOST had that one there Steve but you had bring up the RB's and Corey Dillon has been a Pro Bowl back.

Key word about Dillon was that he "had" been a Pro Bowl back.

Apart from Brady there have been no pro bowl players on the offensive side of the ball for the Pats.

:rl:

Awesome, Troll.

Never ceases to amaze me.

"If only Chad had the entire AFC starting lineup around him, he'd be amazing."

Ask Tom Gaydy about the amazing WR weapons at his disposal. Reche Caldwell & Jabar Gaffney? I mean what is it you think he'd do with Coles & Cotch instead? Only the same thing Chad's done?

Ask Drew Brees about the pro-bowl WR's he's had for his career. His #1 weapon this year was a 7th-round rookie. If Chad was saddled with Colston, old Joe Horn, Devery Henderson, and Terrance Copper, there would be complaints about how he's got no one to throw to. And with a couple of career backups & a mid-round rookie on the OL how he's got no protection either.

Who are the deadly receivers who allowed Michael Vick, one of the NFL's worst passers, to have 3 more TD's (and 3 fewer INT's) in like 100 fewer pass-attempts?

It's so absurd. The excuses will never end.

I am not an advocate of big name recievers. I am an advocate of making the playoffs. The QB's you just listed are in the top five (save vick) in the NFL. Chad is not in the top five, but he's good enough to make the playoffs, and until we get a replacement, i'm relativly content.

he's still better than garcia.

I am not an advocate of big name recievers. I am an advocate of making the playoffs. The QB's you just listed are in the top five (save vick) in the NFL. Chad is not in the top five, but he's good enough to make the playoffs, and until we get a replacement, i'm relativly content.

he's still better than garcia.

That's where you aren't following me. Jeff Garcia makes the playoffs too.

How is Chad better than Garcia? You have yet to tell me that, other than saying he had TO, as if Chad has no weapons whatsoever.

That's where you aren't following me. Jeff Garcia makes the playoffs too.

How is Chad better than Garcia? You have yet to tell me that, other than saying he had TO, as if Chad has no weapons whatsoever.

Their weapons are very similar. Both had decent recievers for however long their tenures at their respective teams.

Jets59.05306.392370.92006New York Jets64.533526.91171682.6

ok so i couldn't line them up too well. Its closer than I thought, but I'll still say the 9ers were better on O and D. That's the end of my argument.

2000New York Jets105240.06713.4062101/411127.12001New York Jets20201050.0924.6024101/81079.62002New York Jets151239927568.931207.824722622/135403104.22003New York Jets10929718963.621397.2065131225/16026682.92004New York Jets131337024265.426737.224816918/10333691.02005New York Jets33834959.05306.3937239/527070.92006New York Jets161648531364.533526.9171171630/17238982.6

1999San Francisco 49ers131037522560.025446.7862111115/10428777.92000San Francisco 49ers161656135563.342787.6369311024/15559997.62001San Francisco 49ers161650431662.735387.0261321226/114401094.82002San Francisco 49ers161652832862.133446.3376211017/9331785.62003San Francisco 49ers131339222557.427046.9075181321/10435680.1

i'm not including his browns/lions stint. just to keep his averages up. He's better than i remembered, but i still think the 9ers had better overall teams, and i don't mean recievers, just in general.

Hey, I said show me how Chad is better, not give me a headache!;)

In their careers, Garcia averages 1.37 touchdowns per game, counting the Lions and Cleveland stints. He averages 0.73 interceptions per game and 206 yards per game. When you add in rushing yards, Garcia accounts for 225 yards per game and 1.6 touchdowns per game.

Pennington averages 1.18 TD passes per game. He also averages 0.75 interceptions per game and 196 YPG. When rushing yards are thrown into the equation, Chad accounts for 202 YPG and 1.2 touchdowns per game.

Similar totals, but Garcia's are slightly better in every single category. Being as they have equal playoff track records, I will take Garcia.

Dude, comparing their careers is not a good way to talk up Chad. Garcia was a 3x pro-bowler with a pair of 35+ TD seasons (passing + rushing) under his belt.

Chad has zero pro-bowls (though arguably he deserved it once).

He has 1 career 16-game season

He has zero 4000-yd seasons

He has zero 30-TD seasons

He has zero 25-TD seasons

He has 1 20-TD season

...I can make this list longer.

At some point people need to come to grips that Chad is a slightly above-average QB who had 3/4 of one very-above-average season 4 years ago.

Dude, comparing their careers is not a good way to talk up Chad. Garcia was a 3x pro-bowler with a pair of 35+ TD seasons (passing + rushing) under his belt.

Chad has zero pro-bowls (though arguably he deserved it once).

He has 1 career 16-game season

He has zero 4000-yd seasons

He has zero 30-TD seasons

He has zero 25-TD seasons

He has 1 20-TD season

...I can make this list longer.

At some point people need to come to grips that Chad is a slightly above-average QB who had 3/4 of one very-above-average season 4 years ago.

Damn Sperman how long can you make that list if you wanted?

Archived