The Heidi Game

Maxman

I was 8 years old -- and did not care less -- went to the movies that day and saw Yellow Submarine - when I got home my father was excited -- not for the Jets victory since he was a Giants fan but he won a bundle of money taking the points

this was the Superbowl not the Heidi game sorry (edit)

What a good article. I'm way to young for the Heidi game, but I know some of you fat, old men were alive watching it.Those are the people I want to hear from. I would be pissed.

I was about 12 at the time and my Dad and I were season ticket holders (well, he was, but he took me.)

As the article mentioned, the Jets had not been doing well vs Oakland in their previous matchups. That's why it was so exciting to see them ahead, on the road, late in the game. From what I remember, it was a great, exciting game up to that point. The Jets looked primed for a huge road win against the hated Raiduhs, who were the deserving and defending AFL Champs.

Then, after a commercial break, freaking Heidi!

I ran from the TV room into my room and put on the radio for play by play.

It became like the Twilight Zone to be screwed out of the broadcast, and then to hear the radio guys lamenting how the Raiduhs scored twice so quickly. Part of me didnt really believe it- it was like a bad joke being played on Jets fans.

The radio guys may not have even mentioned the loss of the TV feed, so the whole thing remained very confusing at the time. After Oakland scored and they went to a commercial, I ran back into the living room to check the TV and stared incredulously at the dang dumb movie. This was too much to comprehend, and my brain hurt.

Going from 3 up to 11 down in a minute, with the combination of losing the TV feed, made the whole thing seem unreal at the time. That Jets team, other than Namath throwing ints, was not known for beating themselves, and losing the ball on a kickoff, and having it returned for a TD made the whole thing even more bizarre. But we got our revenge in the AFL Champ Game!

I was about 12 at the time and my Dad and I were season ticket holders (well, he was, but he took me.)

As the article mentioned, the Jets had not been doing well vs Oakland in their previous matchups. That's why it was so exciting to see them ahead, on the road, late in the game. From what I remember, it was a great, exciting game up to that point. The Jets looked primed for a huge road win against the hated Raiduhs, who were the deserving and defending AFL Champs.

It became like the Twilight Zone to be screwed out of the broadcast, and then to hear the radio guys lamenting how the Raiduhs scored twice so quickly. Part of me didnt really believe it- it was like a bad joke being played on Jets fans.

The radio guys may not have even mentioned the loss of the TV feed, so the whole thing remained very confusing at the time. After Oakland scored and they went to a commercial, I ran back into the living room to check the TV and stared incredulously at the dang dumb movie. This was too much to comprehend, and my brain hurt.

Going from 3 up to 11 down in a minute, with the combination of losing the TV feed, made the whole thing seem unreal at the time. That Jets team, other than Namath throwing ints, was not known for beating themselves, and losing the ball on a kickoff, and having it returned for a TD made the whole thing even more bizarre. But we got our revenge in the AFL Champ Game!

Thanks for taking the time to post that.

Same thoughts here Jetcane, except the radio was in the same room, I was 13, and my dad didn

we had a tv with tin foil on the rabbit ears

earlier that year my parents had to decide between buying , a radio or a toaster. needless to say, I watched heidi and saw the score 45 minutes later.

to date, I've been arrested 4 times for kickin the crap out of various orphan girls with pigtails.

we had a tv with tin foil on the rabbit ears

earlier that year my parents had to decide between buying , a radio or a toaster. needless to say, I watched heidi and saw the score 45 minutes later.

to date, I've been arrested 4 times for kickin the crap out of various orphan girls with pigtails.

Hahaha

potw nom

I was 9 1/2 and I actually wanted to see both.

Everyone in the house was completely

shocked that the Jets game was cut off.

I looked in the phone book to get

NBCs # & called NBC to complain.

Got through after 3 tries.

The person on the other end told me the Jets lost!

Thud! I/we couldnt believe it!

No, it was not considered a harbinger of anything

negative re the Jets.

"Same Old Jets" was not a mindset of Jets fans,

they were too new

The Heidi movie sucked despite the presence

of some notable actors-zzzzz

This game led to NFL games being broadcast in

their entirety.

I liked the article, because I like nostalgia. Although I do remember the game, and I do remember where I was and all that, I was five years old, and my priorities were completely out of wack.

I was waiting for Heidi to go on.

:dohslap:

:rl:

That is hysterical!

potw nom for the honesty

you know what really sucked the AFC championship game a few weeks later against Oakland at Shea wasn't even televised-I had to listen to it in my kitchen on a Jap radio-I was 13 and in the 8th grade

Yep, I was lucky to be there, and still have my ticket stub. I would say that was the most famous game I ever attended, along with the "shoe polish" game in the 69 world series.

Archived