Do you want the Vilma and #25 for Portis and #6?

Clemens&theJets

Do you want the vilma for portis trade to happen?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you want the vilma for portis trade to happen?

• Yes, its a no brainer
    • No, its a horrible trade

My bad, I didn't realize until after I voted that this wasn't the idiotic Betts, in place of Portis, rumor. This trade is probably good for us considering that Portis is definitely worth the 25th pick and Vilma is worth the 6th pick. I think I would do this trade. The only thing I would be wary of is Portis' injury history.

No way I would do this. Portis will always have shoulder problems and is not all he was cracked up to be in Denver. Vilma will get better in this defense the same way Donnie Edwards and James Farrior did - but much faster than Farrior.

My bad, I didn't realize until after I voted that this wasn't the idiotic Betts, in place of Portis, rumor. This trade is probably good for us considering that Portis is definitely worth the 25th pick and Vilma is worth the 6th pick. I think I would do this trade. The only thing I would be wary of is Portis' injury history.

Betts is considerably cheaper and healthier than Portis. Their production is more similar than you'd imagine.

How do you conclude that?

That he's cheaper? That's obvious. Portis is still on the big $50+M contract he signed when traded. It's not that much, maybe $3.5 this year, but Betts just signed a long extension at no more than $1.5 per. I believe his actual cap number this year is about $600K. As for the health and production, that's pure conjecture. He put up more ypc this year than Portis. Portis is great, but always hurt. Put is this way. I'd bet the skins would just as soon move Portis as Betts.

Betts is considerably cheaper and healthier than Portis. Their production is more similar than you'd imagine.

Based on what? A half of a season? Even if this season was a sign of things to come for Betts, the value of that trade is not at all equal, because Betts is not nearly worth the #25 pick in the draft after a good half-season.

betts has had one good year and portis has had like 5 great years and you want betts over portis please explain your logic behind that :confused:

Portis has been in the league for 5 years and I'd hardly call last year "great." If you take away the 2 years in Denver their ypc are probably similar. Portis is actually younger, but his body has had way more wear and tear. I still think Portis is a better back, but I'd rather have Betts for the money and see him as a less flashy fit in on the Jets type guy.

Portis has been in the league for 5 years and I'd hardly call last year "great." If you take away the 2 years in Denver their ypc are probably similar. Portis is actually younger, but his body has had way more wear and tear. I still think Portis is a better back, but I'd rather have Betts for the money and see him as a less flashy fit in on the Jets type guy.

so you would rather have a 5 year back-up running back with only one 1,000 yard season over a 5 year vertern starting RB with four 1,000 yard seasons.

Past stats are not an indicator of future performance. NFL scouts have said for a while now that Portis will have shoulder problems because of his hard running style and smallish frame. It has now come truethe last two seasons. Betts is a bigger, and better back. I do not believe the Skins will even let Betts go as Al Saunders is said to be in love with him as a runner. And Al Saunders knows RB's.

so you would rather have a 5 year back-up running back with only one 1,000 yard season over a 5 year vertern starting RB with four 1,000 yard seasons.

Actually, if I could just get the #6 for Vilma I might do that and address RB in the draft. Probably not in the 1st round though. 1,000 yard seasons are a joke. That's why we wanted Barlow. Remember? All things being equal damn near everyone on this site would prefer a 3 year back-up running back with zero 1,000 yard seasons.

Actually, if I could just get the #6 for Vilma I might do that and address RB in the draft. Probably not in the 1st round though. 1,000 yard seasons are a joke. That's why we wanted Barlow. Remember? All things being equal damn near everyone on this site would prefer a 3 year back-up running back with zero 1,000 yard seasons.

but if you had your pick you would rather have betts?

but if you had your pick you would rather have betts?

What I think he's saying is that all other things are not equal. Portis would eat up the cap space of a RELIABLE stud (and then some) in addition to the difference between him & Betts. He's not THAT much better that he takes the place of a decent RB and ANOTHER pro-bowl talent.

Portis' upcoming base salaries:

2007: $3.5M

2008: $5.0M

2009: $6.6M

2010: $7.7M

2011: $8.8M

And he's not worth those cap numbers.

Think:

Betts + Nate Clements

Betts + Adalius Thomas

Betts + Kris Dielman

Betts + Leonard Davis + Dan Graham

Or Clinton Portis playing 12-13 healthy games per season for a couple of years before he starts wearing down. Don't assume every RB to withstand 8+ seasons of 300+ touches. And Portis wasn't even durable in his FIRST five seasons.

What I think he's saying is that all other things are not equal. Portis would eat up the cap space of a RELIABLE stud (and then some) in addition to the difference between him & Betts. He's not THAT much better that he takes the place of a decent RB and ANOTHER pro-bowl talent.

Portis' upcoming base salaries:

2007: $3.5M

2008: $5.0M

2009: $6.6M

2010: $7.7M

2011: $8.8M

And he's not worth those cap numbers.

Think:

Betts + Nate Clements

Betts + Adalius Thomas

Betts + Kris Dielman

Betts + Leonard Davis + Dan Graham

Or Clinton Portis playing 12-13 healthy games per season for a couple of years before he starts wearing down. Don't assume every RB to withstand 8+ seasons of 300+ touches. And Portis wasn't even durable in his FIRST five seasons.

I'd rather have Nothing + Thomas and not settle on Betts for RB.

I somewhat agree with you. If we moved Vilma at all, I'd rather keep our first-rounder & make a trade for a little lower pick. I don't see anyone that we "gotta gotta have" at #6. Even if we did this, I'd rather trade down in round one enough to recoup that first-rounder.
If we trade up to 6 we'd have to assume that one of the 3 of Adams, Peterson or Branch will be there... And you just take whichever one is there.

I'd probably pull the trigger on the deal, but I'd have to see Portis up close and personal for myself and see just how healthy the guy really is.

I'd honestly love to get a different player than Portis, but I dont see the skins with any other valuable parts to trade, because I'd love to get Adrian Peterson at #6.

This is a trade I would make on draft day, not before. I'd wait to see who was on the board at #6, and hear the latest scoops, and determine whether or not the #6 pick is that much better for us, than say the #14 pick esp considering we wouldnt have to part with our own 1st rd pick in a trade with Vilma.

I really dont have an answer to this thread question, but I would try desperately to move up and get Adrian Peterson.

I'd rather trade Vilma + pick 37 and get #6 (if Peterson was still on the board) without Portis in the deal, and instead get Randy Thomas.

We'd have the #6 pick, draft Adrian Peterson, acquire RG Randy Thomas in the deal, and still have our 1st rd pick (25) to go BAP or trade down.

I'd probably pull the trigger on the deal, but I'd have to see Portis up close and personal for myself and see just how healthy the guy really is.

I'd honestly love to get a different player than Portis, but I dont see the skins with any other valuable parts to trade, because I'd love to get Adrian Peterson at #6.

This is a trade I would make on draft day, not before. I'd wait to see who was on the board at #6, and hear the latest scoops, and determine whether or not the #6 pick is that much better for us, than say the #14 pick esp considering we wouldnt have to part with our own 1st rd pick in a trade with Vilma.

I really dont have an answer to this thread question, but I would try desperately to move up and get Adrian Peterson.

I'd rather trade Vilma + pick 37 and get #6 (if Peterson was still on the board) without Portis in the deal, and instead get Randy Thomas.

We'd have the #6 pick, draft Adrian Peterson, acquire RG Randy Thomas in the deal, and still have our 1st rd pick (25) to go BAP or trade down.

No way Washington would do that unless they are completely retarded. We would be robbing them blind.

That would work for me.

I think Barton nailed it....we can't make this trade until we know who we would attain with the #6 pick. If there is someone that T and Mangini feel would greatly improve our team than you might have to pull the trigger.

Also we have to remember that replacing Vilma will not be easy, he is the QB of our defense and is responsible for changing plays/making adjustments pre snap...that is NOT an easy thing to do and it was Vilma's ability to do this that got him so much praise from Mangini. I really think Vilma is off limits and I'm not exactly mad about that, the guy busts his ass, has great character, has been given a lot of responsibility early and never faltered and is a tremenedous athlete/leader. That is someone you build a team around, not trade away for a RB w/ injury problems and a player we cannot even be guranteed. Lets give Vilma some credit for what he has done in his 3 years here, and also respect his work ethic and smarts and recognize he will almost def. be better next year than he was last year....and he was not bad at all, just not the superstar he once was.

No way Washington would do that unless they are completely retarded. We would be robbing them blind.

I dont see that as the case.

They can keep Portis and try and trade him to another team, and they get a 24 yr old probowl MLB + a very high 2nd rd pick

Vilma has the value of a middle 1st rd pick, safe to say I think. Now, I think if you throw in the 37th pick + the value of a 1st rd 10-15 pick, it would get you to the #6 pick, or very close to it.

Most top 10 picks dont pan out anyways, but Vilma is a sure bet to be a force in that defense in washington IMO

I dont see that as the case.

They can keep Portis and try and trade him to another team, and they get a 24 yr old probowl MLB + a very high 2nd rd pick

Vilma has the value of a middle 1st rd pick, safe to say I think. Now, I think if you throw in the 37th pick + the value of a 1st rd 10-15 pick, it would get you to the #6 pick, or very close to it.

Most top 10 picks dont pan out anyways, but Vilma is a sure bet to be a force in that defense in washington IMO

Thomas who is one of the best guards in football AND their 6th overall pick for Vilma and the 37? No chance.

Archived