Frank Barone On Brian Leonard

Maxman

I hate when guys do really well in the combine and everyone drools. I'm sure leonard is a quality guy and good player, but he is not even close to a first round pick. If the jets do take him with our first round pick it will be a travesity. Now I would be alright taking him in the third but even then I'm not so sure. But since we don't have a fourth then we would have to take him with the third.

I hate when guys do really well in the combine and everyone drools. I'm sure leonard is a quality guy and good player, but he is not even close to a first round pick. If the jets do take him with our first round pick it will be a travesity. Now I would be alright taking him in the third but even then I'm not so sure. But since we don't have a fourth then we would have to take him with the third.

I never mentioned the Jets taking him in the first round-we would not do that- he just seems a natural fit in the type of player Mangini wants on his team.

Brian Leonard is an interesting case. I agree he has all of the intangibles that the FO covets, and in an issue of JC last year the Whispers section discussed how they were scouting him very closely, so there is some interest. I would have loved him to come in as a fullback/h-back and replace Askew. His hands are good and he could be a valuable weapon out of the backfield and with a few carries. But now he has dropped weight and has stated that he wants to be a tailback at the next level. I don't agree with others that he was ever a real dominant tailback at RU. He has some nice moves and real good speed, but he rarely dominated games. Was that a question of the talent around him? Not sure. I also fear he may now have a bit of that BJ Askew disease, where he wants to be the big man on campus (play tailback) and not excel doing the little things. Although that is probably not fair as he has never displayed these qualities in the past. Tough call. If he gets his weight back up and comes in as an all purpose FB/HB he could be a valuable member of the Jets. It will be fun seeing where he ends up and in what role at the next level, it's hard to root against a kid like this....

Brian Leonard is an interesting case. I agree he has all of the intangibles that the FO covets, and in an issue of JC last year the Whispers section discussed how they were scouting him very closely, so there is some interest. I would have loved him to come in as a fullback/h-back and replace Askew. His hands are good and he could be a valuable weapon out of the backfield and with a few carries. But now he has dropped weight and has stated that he wants to be a tailback at the next level. I don't agree with others that he was ever a real dominant tailback at RU. He has some nice moves and real good speed, but he rarely dominated games. Was that a question of the talent around him? Not sure. I also fear he may now have a bit of that BJ Askew disease, where he wants to be the big man on campus (play tailback) and not excel doing the little things. Although that is probably not fair as he has never displayed these qualities in the past. Tough call. If he gets his weight back up and comes in as an all purpose FB/HB he could be a valuable member of the Jets. It will be fun seeing where he ends up and in what role at the next level, it's hard to root against a kid like this....

Bitonti had a good answer in the last chat here. He said Leonard would do well under a coach like Schott. Someone creative he could utilize his strengths. Definitely is an interesting story for draft day.

I don't like what he's done losing all this weight because i don't see him as a long term RB in the NFL. However he can gain that weight back easily and as i've been saying for years he'll step on to the field in training camp as one of the best offensive weapons at the FB position in football.

If we draft Leonard just shoot me now. The organization will love it because of the jerseys they will sell to the Rutgers "fans" that have been around for so long sportin' those Miami, Notre Dame, Penn State & Michigan T-Shirts & hats.:eek:

The guy has no business being here. He wants to make it as a running back and no thanks to that. This guy does not have what it takes to get it done at the NFL level carrying the ball 15-20 times a game.

If we draft Leonard just shoot me now. The organization will love it because of the jerseys they will sell to the Rutgers "fans" that have been around for so long sportin' those Miami, Notre Dame, Penn State & Michigan T-Shirts & hats.:eek:

The guy has no business being here. He wants to make it as a running back and no thanks to that. This guy does not have what it takes to get it done at the NFL level carrying the ball 15-20 times a game.

he's not gonna be a RB in the NFL. He's just trying to improve his 40 time and show that he's versatile.

I look forward to seeing Leonard try to "jump over" his first NFL defender and get absolutely impaled

he's not gonna be a RB in the NFL. He's just trying to improve his 40 time and show that he's versatile.

He has clearly stated that he wants to be a running back in the NFL. He's dropped 20-25lbs and has stated that he wants to be a running back, how much more do you need to hear from him to believe him?

Oh and 80, me too. I hope it's against Baltimore or Chicago so Lewis or Urlacher can just say, "Welcome to the NFL, bitch"

He has clearly stated that he wants to be a running back in the NFL. He's dropped 20-25lbs and has stated that he wants to be a running back, how much more do you need to hear from him to believe him?

Oh and 80, me too. I hope it's against Baltimore or Chicago so Lewis or Urlacher can just say, "Welcome to the NFL, bitch"

He can say whatever he wants but no one is gonna draft him as a RB.

Leonard obviously is trying to portray himself as more than just a fullback.

Leonard is good at multiple things- running, blocking and catching the ball out of the backfield. Multi-dimensional player

And that's something we didn't have last year with BJ Askew. Pennington loved throwing to Richie Anderson and Jerald Sowell. Askew just stinks to high heaven.

If Leonard is available with our 3rd round pick we should take him. However, I think he will be drafted by somebody in the 2nd round. Possibly New England.

there is no way you can draft a fb in the 1st 2 rounds...later on ok but not in those rounds. I worry that the NJ hype machine is in full force would be curious to see the rest of the nations view
I don't see Mangini or Tannenbaum bowing to any kind of hype. They know what kind of player Leonard is. I really think that having Leonard on the team would give Chad another real good option to go with the ball (ala richie anderson) and would add a new dimension to our offense that needs to get more explosive.

Just received this through an anonymous email from the contact us form. Just figured I would post it here:

You are right, the JETS have more pressing needs like an every down RB, a nose tackle, a shut down corner, a speedy WR and and O Lineman. They do not need a great blocking back. If the JETS do take Leonard it will be with a 5th or 6th round pick. Not a pick on the first day of the draft.

Archived