If You Could Move Anywhere In The US, Where Would You Go?

The Gun Of Bavaria

Hey if I had 9th graders or above I wouldnt move.

Lots of things go into equation.

Kids in grade school or middle school are like sponges, they easily adapt,,

if best for family in long run, they can handle a move,,

but once you start high school it gets emotional and could be somewhat life changing.

I disagree. My oldest son is in 6th grade. He has made so many friends through school, sports, church that I wouldn't think about switching him.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could do what on 1/4 of the money? It is all relative though. I am not going to make what I make now somewhere else. I can't go into how or why. It is a matter of National Security. Let's just leave it at that.

you could live to the same means. easily.

again, meaningless, you dont take your kid to adiifernet school in the state every day,, its where you decide to live,, in CT i wouldnt want my kid to go to a school in New Haven.

and as Johnny pointe dout Raleigh ahs hoighest % of college grads in country, ,but that doesnt really mean its the smartest, just where the smart people decide to live

But some of the private schools in west haven are some of the best in the state and the cost of a house is cheaper. Sounds like New Haven is just right for you!

Ok, but those are not necessarily highly educated professions. Mortgage brokers require no education, and a lot of tech jobs require only a certificate. Also, those are just two sectors.

I am talking about middle class,, tech and banking jobs in the 100 to 250K year range,,

of course, we all have the guy who owns the company etc living a block over,,

every are ahas wealth, ,geez,, hedge fund up there, high tech startup milliionaires, tobacco barons or medical gurus here,,

as for economically, the equity wouldn't be worth anymore than a similar house here, it would all be relative.

That is not true. You are assuming that the cost and value of real estate is proportionate to the cost of living in a particular area. I live within the NYC limits (in the burbs though) and the value of my house has doubled in the 5 years since I bought it. Demand remains high, despite the real estate pull back so chances are that the value will continue to rise, though probably not at the same rate. In addition to the equity that builds up, you must take the appreciation into consideration as it provides a nice extra cushion.

This is why, when many people in NE retire and decide to move south, they can cash out, buy a house outright and live on the remainder of the cash (disregarding Soc Sec, pension, 401k etc.). This is just a long winded way of saying that it is not all relative.

That is not true. You are assuming that the cost and value of real estate is proportionate to the cost of living in a particular area. I live within the NYC limits (in the burbs though) and the value of my house has doubled in the 5 years since I bought it. Demand remains high, despite the real estate pull back so chances are that the value will continue to rise, though probably not at the same rate. In addition to the equity that builds up, you must take the appreciation into consideration as it provides a nice extra cushion.

This is why, when many people in NE retire and decide to move south, they can cash out, buy a house outright and live on the remainder of the cash (disregarding Soc Sec, pension, 401k etc.). This is just a long winded way of saying that it is not all relative.

Did you work out this morning? Tell us about it. Please.

(this might be the greatest thread ever. oktaren is arguing against people that are on his side, I love it).

I am talking about middle class,, tech and banking jobs in the 100 to 250K year range,,

of course, we all have the guy who owns the company etc living a block over,,

every are ahas wealth, ,geez,, hedge fund up there, high tech startup milliionaires, tobacco barons or medical gurus here,,

I was just saying that all of those industries create unique, well paying jobs that are not as available down south as proven by the per capita income stats.

I have city sewer though. And a wooden leg. How does that factor in? Plus I have a lot of pets. Dog, fish, bunny. Does that have an impact.

there is city sewer everywhere. even out in the wilderness many towns have city water and sewer. pets? i have pets too, i hate domesticated animals, but they were all rescues and had no where else to go. either way, the cleaner air would do them good.

(this might be the greatest thread ever. oktaren is arguing against people that are on his side, I love it).

No one wants to lay claim to living anywhere near oktaren at this point.

conversing. not arguing. if you think this is arguing, you really haven't seen much in life.

That is right and napkins cost the same just about everywhere in the country. Whether you make 10k a year or 150k.

I disagree. My oldest son is in 6th grade. He has made so many friends through school, sports, church that I wouldn't think about switching him.

beleive me, I understand the trepidation, and its safe to stay when all is well,, all i was saying was that at that age they will adapt,, and you never know that the result could be even better,,but only a parent knows if their kid could handle it or not,, thats why we are parents

at the high school level you are messing with a fine balance that could nail college

But some of the private schools in west haven are some of the best in the state and the cost of a house is cheaper. Sounds like New Haven is just right for you!

haha,, my point was the ghetto of new haven,, we cant judge ct by ghettos or NC by farmer fred areas

1. NO, I did not work out. I got a better offer at home.

2. What is oktarens side? He is flailing away at everyone.

not really. i haven't said anything to sj yet.

its stupid to live somewhere where the cost of living is so high and the income doesn't make up for it. especially when there isn't anything more to do in those areas. but hey, what do i know...ct has the most intelligent people, so they must know what they are doing :)

conversing. not arguing. if you think this is arguing, you really haven't seen much in life.

Way to twist the words around you monkeyass. I didn't say heated argu....ah nevermind.

You live in a small house. I really shouldn't even be mingling with your type. Not if I ever want to make it anyway.

sssshhhhhhh

he is conversing. don't set him off again!

(Oh and if you think that is "set off" you really haven't seen much in life). :Nuts:

Way to twist the words around you monkeyass. I didn't say heated argu....ah nevermind.

You live in a small house. I really shouldn't even be mingling with your type. Not if I ever want to make it anyway.

you aren't very smart are you? just because you live in a small house doesn't mean you haven't made it. a small house (even a very environmentally friendly one) can be much nicer than a large one...but, hey, you arent smart enough to realize you are wasting money in the nyc area, so you probably don't realize that anyways.

you aren't very smart are you? just because you live in a small house doesn't mean you haven't made it. a small house (even a very environmentally friendly one) can be much nicer than a large one...but, hey, you arent smart enough to realize you are wasting money in the nyc area, so you probably don't realize that anyways.

Do you know that I get paid everytime you post? Seriously Bill Gates pays me 2 cents for every post here. So who is the smart one now? Really, respond and tell me. The more posts the better the bottom line.

By the way you are the druggie but the rest of us have issues. Gotcha. How do you know I am wasting money? How do you know I even have a mortgage? Are you saying that everyone that lives in the Metro area is stupid? Even the people that make millions of dollars a year?

Do me a favor and respond to each question in its own post. Have to drive up the post counts.

Do you know that I get paid everytime you post? Seriously Bill Gates pays me 2 cents for every post here. So who is the smart one now? Really, respond and tell me. The more posts the better the bottom line.

By the way you are the druggie but the rest of us have issues. Gotcha. How do you know I am wasting money? How do you know I even have a mortgage? Are you saying that everyone that lives in the Metro area is stupid? Even the people that make millions of dollars a year?

Do me a favor and respond to each question in its own post. Have to drive up the post counts.

why would i care if you get paid for every post? im not against making money, im against wasting it.

i don't do drugs? i smoke pot, but i don't do anything else? i am sure you drink, i see no difference.

This is funny -- oktaren -- posted this:

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showpost.php?p=417171&postcount=1

Running to Long Island when he gets a good job. But the rest of us with good jobs already are dumb. Makes perfect sense.

i asked about a specific area, in case i did decide i wanted to move there. i was only offered double in salary, so i turned it down. yes, it makes perfect sense. if i was offered 4-5 times the salary i make now or more, of course i would have taken it, it would make up the difference in cost of living.

Archived