1. 1. Which loss will most haunt NE?

• Charlie Weis
    • Romeo Crennel
    • Tedy Bruschi
    • Ty Law
    • Joe Andruzzi
    • All of the Above, death by a thousand cuts
    • None of the Above, BB can win with 53 drunks

I voted ALL OF THE ABOVE, but from a personnel standpoint I believe the biggest hit NE will take is the loss of Tedy Bruschi

IMO he was the heart and soul of that defense and a bona-fide impact player ... and I see no player on their current roster who can even come close to reaching his level of play over the past two years

Without question, the biggest loss COULD be Tedy Bruschi. 1) He IS the heart and soul of that defense. 2) as GJH say, he's theimpact player. 3) He is rarely injured and is flexible like gumby and 4) the Pats have no real legit back-up for him.

I'm a realistic Pats fan. I do not believe the Pats will be Champs again - I mean really - what are the odds? I think that the collective losses (which quite frankly should have happened a while back) probably will result in a worse record than last year. Do I think they will make the playoff's? Yes. Do I think the Jets will make the playoff's? Yes - especially if the new Offense learning curve is quick.

Shoudl be a highly competitive and exciting year!

I'm a realistic Pats fan. I do not believe the Pats will be Champs again - I mean really - what are the odds? I think that the collective losses (which quite frankly should have happened a while back) probably will result in a worse record than last year. Do I think they will make the playoff's? Yes. Do I think the Jets will make the playoff's? Yes - especially if the new Offense learning curve is quick.

Damn, now Garb has RS's flu bug. :shock:

What the hell is going on here? #-o

I am being realistic - three SB's in a row? The odd's Tx, the odds.....

BB the "fraud" :lol: had lead the Patriots to three World Championships. I can live with that! :lol:

did you forget "cheat or thief" ? for some reason i would not want to associate myself with a man who stole a million dollars from a dying man...but whatever.

From a personnel standpoint I believe the biggest hit NE will take is the loss of Tedy Bruschi

IMO he was the heart and soul of that defense and a bona-fide impact player ... and I see no player on their current roster who can even come close to reaching his level of play over the past two years

From a personnel standpoint I believe the biggest hit NE will take is the loss of Ty Law for the season.

From a personnel standpoint I believe the biggest hit NE will take is the loss of Ted Washington.

IMO he was the core of that defense and a bona-fide impact player ... and I see no player on their current roster who can even come close to reaching his level of play over the past two years

From a personnel standpoint I believe the biggest hit NE will take is the loss of Lawyer Milloy.

From a personnel standpoint I believe the biggest hit NE will take is the loss of Terry Glenn.

IMO he was the playmaker of that offense and a bona-fide impact player ... and I see no player on their current roster who can even come close to reaching his level of play over the past two years

Hey, I do agree with you on Bruschi actually.....

but I don't see anyone capable of coming close to doing what he does for us... but Belichick always seems to find a way of compensating, and guys like Vrabel, Wilson, Samuel, Gay, Warren, Traylor, Wilfork, Johnson, Colvin, McGinest....

If there's a guy who can step up and play well, and if there's a way for the other 10 guys on the defense to make up the difference, Belichick will probably find it.

Though yeah, if Bruschi is out that's going to sting like hell.

Hey, I do agree with you on Bruschi actually.....

but I don't see anyone capable of coming close to doing what he does for us... but Belichick always seems to find a way of compensating, and guys like Vrabel, Wilson, Samuel, Gay, Warren, Traylor, Wilfork, Johnson, Colvin, McGinest....

If there's a guy who can step up and play well, and if there's a way for the other 10 guys on the defense to make up the difference, Belichick will probably find it.

Though yeah, if Bruschi is out that's going to sting like hell.

RS, I'll Go a step further ... I believe Bruschi was quickly making his case for the HOF when you consider his level of play for a perennial winner

I even said the day the news broke on his condition that I would vote for him if I had a vote

That is a very tough player to replace ... Borderline HOF Guy ... you don't find those on trees

did you forget "cheat or thief" ? for some reason i would not want to associate myself with a man who stole a million dollars from a dying man...but whatever.

Hey - you want to stay in Hermie's kitchen corner - go for it. But I do not ever want to hear you complain about your coaching staff again....

RS, I'll Go a step further ... I believe Bruschi was quickly making his case for the HOF when you consider his level of play for a perennial winner

I even said the day the news broke on his condition that I would vote for him if I had a vote

That is a very tough player to replace ... Borderline HOF Guy ... you don't find those on trees

Wow Hammer, that's a pretty bold statement.

First off, this is a huge loss for the Pats. There is no two ways around it.

Bruschi has never dominated a game like Ray Lewis does.

But what Bruschi does is play consistently as hell and rarely makes mistakes or is out of position. I can't remember the last time he missed a tackle or failed to cover a receiver. Just very, very solid play.

But here is what makes Tedy Bruschi a great player. There is no other player in the NFL over the last 4 years that has made bigger plays in big situations than Bruschi.

When a game is on the line, he delivers every single time.

He will be missed. :cry:

Hey - you want to stay in Hermie's kitchen corner - go for it. But I do not ever want to hear you complain about your coaching staff again....

I like BBQ :) la de da... ok next time i complain i will be sure to either whisper so you cant hear...or put a disclaimer on the thread .."garb- don't read" okey dokey smokey? :D

Weis without a doubt. I think Brady will miss him most of all and I am not buying the "Belichick has been involved with the offense BS. Weis was able to hypnotize the offense with the ever present bobbing spittle on his lip.

I like BBQ :) la de da... ok next time i complain i will be sure to either whisper so you cant hear...or put a disclaimer on the thread .."garb- don't read" okey dokey smokey? :D

Now that I think of it - have you ever made a football comment on this board??? :wink: Nevermind, I guess......boopie-doopie doo-wop.... :roll:

You know what I find amusing? In NE, Charlie Weiss was not well-admired at all....check out the archives at Patsfans.com and see for yourself. Although I thought Charlie did a great job (aside from a few brain-pharts) many people thought he was mediocre to bad.

Wiess No question about it. BB is a defensive guines and will always have a way to cover up any deficincies on D. THe offense on the othe hand may get hacketities, 2 runs up the middle and a long pass. Say what you want about wiess but he kept the other team guessing which is half the battle. WIthout him I think they become very predictable. Even dillon will not be able to run past an eight man front and he may think he is back in cincinatti. BB makes his biggest mistake, thinking he can coach the offense. JMHO

No way GJ, I love the guy but there's just no way. One pro bowl, and sure he was robbed of a few but.... until 2001 he wasn't building any kind of a HoF resume. He's 32 by the time this season starts. Granted he's been one of the very best in the league these past two years, and one of the better gouys for two years before that....

but he'd have to have at least 4 more seasons as good as his last two to be hall worthy.

The hall is about playing like a HoFer, which Bruschi has, but it's also about playing like a HoFer over a loooong period of time, which Bruschi hasn't. Longevity counts for a lot.

Remember: Harry Carson and Chris Doleman are on the outside looking in when it comes to the HoF.... the requirements are EXTREMELY strenuous.

I think Bruschi didn't have a realistic shot, hit his stride too late (whether he could have hit it earlier in the right circumstances is an intriguing question).

Law had little to no shot, and that was before his injury.

Harrison might have a shot based on the argument that he's never gotten the pro-bowl and media recognition he deserves because he was so hated.... even so, outside looking in. At best, in the same boat as Carson and Doleman, perennial semi-finalist.

There are only TWO players with a decent shot at the HoF on the Patriots and one wildcard.

The wildcard is Vinatieri, who has an EXTREMELY tough road as a kicker, but being known as the definitive clutch kicker in league history may help him a lot. I think his chances are less than 1 in 5 though.

Tom Brady and Richard Seymour WILL be Hall of Famers if they stay healthy, productive, and have decent longevity (note, those are not easy feats).

Seymour will be 25 when this season starts, and at 25 he will have been regarded for several years as arguably the premier DT type in the league. His resume already has 3 pro-bowls, 3 superbowl wins, and too many all-pro team listings to count. He is WELL on pace for a HoF career.

Brady.... well, come on.... I'll spare you the details but he's a handful of solid seasons or one more great one away from Could Get Hit By a Bus Tomorrow And Still Get In status.

The Jets by the way only have one guy with decent chances for the HoF (Martin who's probably a lock already). Mawae won't make it. Pennington has no real shot.

Vilma and maybe Robertson both have the chance given their youth and talent to put themselves up as potential candidates within a few years. We'll see.

You know what I find amusing? In NE, Charlie Weiss was not well-admired at all....

Seems to me the Pats Fans will now get what they wished for.

Jets FAns worldwide thank them. No one ever said Pats Fans were smart =D>

Please, JonE :roll: NE fans are not only BRILLIANT, they are BEAUTIFUL, CHARISMATIC AND FUN.....right???????????????? :lol::lol::lol:

woo hoo! someone is bored today. :lol:

oh this could be fun....;)

No way GJ, I love the guy but there's just no way. One pro bowl, and sure he was robbed of a few but.... until 2001 he wasn't building any kind of a HoF resume. He's 32 by the time this season starts. Granted he's been one of the very best in the league these past two years, and one of the better gouys for two years before that....

but he'd have to have at least 4 more seasons as good as his last two to be hall worthy.

The hall is about playing like a HoFer, which Bruschi has, but it's also about playing like a HoFer over a loooong period of time, which Bruschi hasn't. Longevity counts for a lot.

Remember: Harry Carson and Chris Doleman are on the outside looking in when it comes to the HoF.... the requirements are EXTREMELY strenuous.

I think Bruschi didn't have a realistic shot, hit his stride too late (whether he could have hit it earlier in the right circumstances is an intriguing question).

Law had little to no shot, and that was before his injury.

Harrison might have a shot based on the argument that he's never gotten the pro-bowl and media recognition he deserves because he was so hated.... even so, outside looking in. At best, in the same boat as Carson and Doleman, perennial semi-finalist.

There are only TWO players with a decent shot at the HoF on the Patriots and one wildcard.

The wildcard is Vinatieri, who has an EXTREMELY tough road as a kicker, but being known as the definitive clutch kicker in league history may help him a lot. I think his chances are less than 1 in 5 though.

Tom Brady and Richard Seymour WILL be Hall of Famers if they stay healthy, productive, and have decent longevity (note, those are not easy feats).

Seymour will be 25 when this season starts, and at 25 he will have been regarded for several years as arguably the premier DT type in the league. His resume already has 3 pro-bowls, 3 superbowl wins, and too many all-pro team listings to count. He is WELL on pace for a HoF career.

Brady.... well, come on.... I'll spare you the details but he's a handful of solid seasons or one more great one away from Could Get Hit By a Bus Tomorrow And Still Get In status.

The Jets by the way only have one guy with decent chances for the HoF (Martin who's probably a lock already). Mawae won't make it. Pennington has no real shot.

Vilma and maybe Robertson both have the chance given their youth and talent to put themselves up as potential candidates within a few years. We'll see.

I think Bruschi won't get in but he should. The biggest problem is that he is overshadowed by Ray Lewis who get all the props.

Bruschi reminds me alot of Randy Gradishar of the Broncos who played with them until 1983. The guy was quiet and was overshadowed by Lambert, but if you watched the guy pay he was the Heartbeat of the original Orange Crush defense. The guy was in on just about every tackle and made alot of big plays.

Lambert won 4 Super Bowls, got all the media kudos and got in the HOF (Which he should).

I think Bruschi won't get in but he should. The biggest problem is that he is overshadowed by Ray Lewis who get all the props.

Bruschi reminds me alot of Randy Gradishar of the Broncos who played with them until 1983. The guy was quiet and was overshadowed by Lambert, but if you watched the guy pay he was the Heartbeat of the original Orange Crush defense. The guy was in on just about every tackle and made alot of big plays.

Lambert won 4 Super Bowls, got all the media kudos and got in the HOF (Which he should).

Good Conversation ... one I must partake in :D

Shawn, I agree on Gradishar ... borderline HOF'er without a doubt .. he would get my vote

RS, I'm not a big longevity guy .. it matters, but it is not my first criteria ... my first criteria is you had to have been a DOMINANT PLAYER at your peak, and Bruschi passes that test in my eyes {Pro Bowls or no Pro Bowls} .. and in recent years he has been RIGHT THERE with Ray Lewis IMHO {minus the accolades}

Curtis Martin will make it as a compiler .. by the time he retires he'll be in the TOP 3 or 4 All-Time for rushing yards .. that will make him a HOF lock

Mawae will be a borderline guy like Gradishar, but he would get my vote because he was the best player in the AFC at his position for a number of years ... not really a DOMINANT PLAYER, but a VERY GOOD PLAYER for a LONG TIME

Remember, I said longevity is not my first criteria, not that I discount it entirely

Vinatieri is ABSOLUTELY a HOF'er in my book .. Greatest money kicker I have ever seen {in my entire life} ... and Mike Nugent should send him a portion of his signing bonus, cause in my mind AV opened the door for Nugent to be drafted so high

Tom Brady is already a lock ... in my mind you absolutely CANNOT keep a QB out of the hall if he owns three rings ... too my way of thinking that makes him a mortal lock, even if he never played another down of football starting RIGHT NOW

Ty Law is a borderline HOF'er as is Rodney Harrison ... definitely not first ballot HOF'er, but I believe they will both eventually get in

Lastly D-Rob and Seymour ... both are still young and both have a shot ... Seymour is much further along in that direction, but neither player is there yet ... I think both players will have a shot when all is said and done {barring injury or a loss of interest as both players get older}

Vilma I would place in that same boat, loads of talent so he may get there as well if everything breaks right, he stays relatively healthy, and maintains his current level of desire

There are three or 4 players that I really think deserve HOF consideration that won't make it

1) Gradishar

2) Ken Riley: Cornerback for Cincinatti is fourth all time in career interceptions with 65. The "Rattler: was a nasty corner who like Gradishar was overshadowed by Pittsburgh Mel Blount.

3) Carson: Should be in overshadowed by LT. Alot like Gradishar and Bruschi.

4) Klecko: Maybe a sentimental pick but the guy was one of the dominat DL in his time. Maybe his run ins with the law are keeping him out.

Pats that will go in

Brady: If his career ended today he would be first ballot.

Vinatieri: One of the best clutch kickers.

Pats on the fence

Law: possibly. May get overlooked for the likes of Deion.

Harrison: Tough call here. If he goes in then you have to look at the likes of Steve Atwater and John Lynch. None of whom are in the class of Ronnie Lott

A few points,

Ham, on the greatness point....

Terrell Davis.

Oh I know, the Denver System Label hurt him, but this guy was a frigging SUPERNOVA.... and the committee gave him a firm "No Hall for you!".

I'll throw out a few more names: Kurt Warner, Rich Gannon, Tony Boselli, Priest Holmes.

None of those guys are making the HoF (well, Holmes has a shot but he needs 3 more good years at an age where he probably won't get them.).

these guys were GREAT for a period of several years.

But the HoF standard seems to be true greatness for around a decade.

I fully agree on the things you said about Bruschi, but through no fault of his own he cannot be a HoFer.

Ty Law & Rodney Harrison.... I'll address in a bit.

I am very sympathetic to your arguments on Brady but I don't feel he's QUITE there yet---- I think the HoF would have REAL trouble voting in a QB with 12,000 career yards.

He cracks 20k or wins another and he's gold. He's as good as in unless his health or game completely fail him.

I realize it was probably unintentional but pleaaase don't be putting D-Rob and Seymour in the same sentence.

D-Rob will be 23 when the season starts. His HoF resume follows....

One pretty good year.

Seymour will be 25 when the season starts. His HoF resume follows.....

3 superbowl rings

3 pro-bowls

Wide acclaim as the premier DT-type in the game

Ability to play at a pro-bowl level at 3 positions.

Does D-Rob have potential? Yes. So did Kellen Winslow. So does Sean Taylor, Mike Williams, Roy Williams, Larry Fitz-Gerald, Eli Manning, etc. etc.

D-Rob is right now a toolsy young guy who has shown he is a good player in this league. He has done NOTHING for his HoF resume so far.

Seymour right now is one of the very best in the game. If he plays at or near his current level for a sustained period of time and suffers no serious injuries, he WILL make the HoF. hell, I think he's ALREADY halfway there.

Archived