After QB what is the hardest posistion to adjust to from college to nfl?

CoachTsurfing

I disagree on the WR. It seems like rookie wideouts can often make an impact immediately. It seems like defensive line, especially in a 3-4,need time to develop. They often get by on strength and quickness alone in college but need better technique in the pro's because the players are so good at this level.

I don't agree with CB. CBs come right into the league and start. WR is up there.. not too many rookies do real well until recently, so maybe it's getting easier, who knows. MLB is one that should be up there...

However, my #1..

Head Coach.

I think that transition from College HC to NFL HC is near impossible. You go from a mandated max of 20 hours of practice a week to practicing out of your ass. You have to coach players who, in most cases, make more than you. You work from 5am-10pm if not later every day. In college, for example, Bob Stoops says he takes his kids to school and picks them up! That's how short his work day is.

I disagree on the WR. It seems like rookie wideouts can often make an impact immediately. It seems like defensive line, especially in a 3-4,need time to develop. They often get by on strength and quickness alone in college but need better technique in the pro's because the players are so good at this level.

Players at any position "can" make an impact immediately. Here are the 36 WR's taken in the first 4 rounds from 2005-2006. These were supposedly the best of the best in the college ranks in those respective years. 7 of them were first round picks and 3 of them were top 10 picks. Some of these guys WILL become impact players. How many have so far?

25 Santonio Holmes Steelers

36 Chad Jackson Patriots

44 Sinorice Moss Giants

52 Greg Jennings Packers

57 Devin Hester Bears

78 Travis Wilson Browns

82 Derek Hagan Dolphins

84 Brandon Williams 49ers

90 Maurice Stovall Buccaneers

95 Willie Reid Steelers

100 Michael Robinson 49ers

103 Brad Smith Jets

104 Cory Rodgers Packers

109 Jason Avant Eagles

111 Demetrius Williams Ravens

115 Will Blackmon Packers

119 Brandon Marshall Broncos

125 Skyler Green Cowboys

130 Domenik Hixon Broncos

3 Braylon Edwards Browns

7 Troy Williamson Vikings

10 Mike Williams Lions

21 Matt Jones Jaguars

22 Mark Clayton Ravens

27 Roddy White Falcons

35 Reggie Brown Eagles

39 Mark Bradley Bears

55 Roscoe Parrish Bills

58 Terrence Murphy Packers

61 Vincent Jackson Chargers

68 Courtney Roby Titans

83 Chris Henry Bengals

96 Brandon Jones Titans

114 Jerome Mathis Texans

116 Craphonso Thorpe Chiefs

118 Chase Lyman Saints

The toughest positions to transition after QB are CB and WR. I think most of us agree with that. DT is also very difficult because players on the pro level are so much faster and stronger than they are in college.

The easiest position is running back. Next easiest is defensive end which was why guys like Mark Anderson, Matthias Kiwanuka and Tamba Hali were able to be impact players their rookie years.

Players at any position "can" make an impact immediately. Here are the 36 WR's taken in the first 4 rounds from 2005-2006. These were supposedly the best of the best in the college ranks in those respective years. 7 of them were first round picks and 3 of them were top 10 picks. Some of these guys WILL become impact players. How many have so far?

25 Santonio Holmes Steelers

36 Chad Jackson Patriots

44 Sinorice Moss Giants

52 Greg Jennings Packers

57 Devin Hester Bears

78 Travis Wilson Browns

82 Derek Hagan Dolphins

84 Brandon Williams 49ers

90 Maurice Stovall Buccaneers

95 Willie Reid Steelers

100 Michael Robinson 49ers

103 Brad Smith Jets

104 Cory Rodgers Packers

109 Jason Avant Eagles

111 Demetrius Williams Ravens

115 Will Blackmon Packers

119 Brandon Marshall Broncos

125 Skyler Green Cowboys

130 Domenik Hixon Broncos

3 Braylon Edwards Browns

7 Troy Williamson Vikings

10 Mike Williams Lions

21 Matt Jones Jaguars

22 Mark Clayton Ravens

27 Roddy White Falcons

35 Reggie Brown Eagles

39 Mark Bradley Bears

55 Roscoe Parrish Bills

58 Terrence Murphy Packers

61 Vincent Jackson Chargers

68 Courtney Roby Titans

83 Chris Henry Bengals

96 Brandon Jones Titans

114 Jerome Mathis Texans

116 Craphonso Thorpe Chiefs

118 Chase Lyman Saints

The question is how many of these guys will ever be any good? More relevant would be to look at solid starting or pro-bowl wide receivers and see when in their careers they started and showed their potential. If most of those players needed a few years to really develop I would be more inclined to agree with you, but then you would really have to look at other positions as well. I guess you could look at the relative experience of all pro-bowl players and see which positions have the players with the least years of service. Those would be the positions that need the least time to transition from college. Of course anyone doing that much analysis probably has too much time on their hands.

Center is the next hardest position to learn. Thats what makes my boy Nick Mangold's performance last season so impressive.

Nick, and my obvious Ohio State homerism aside, C have to recognize, call and execute as many Defensive adjustments as the QB. They are responsible for setting the entire blocking pattern and protection on each play. In college they mainly just key off the MLB and call out where he is. In the pros D coordinators intentionally try to confuse the C so that blocking and protection breaks down resulting in the play going nowhere. On top of that the D Linemen they are having to block are much bigger and much faster.

The question is how many of these guys will ever be any good? More relevant would be to look at solid starting or pro-bowl wide receivers and see when in their careers they started and showed their potential. If most of those players needed a few years to really develop I would be more inclined to agree with you, but then you would really have to look at other positions as well. I guess you could look at the relative experience of all pro-bowl players and see which positions have the players with the least years of service. Those would be the positions that need the least time to transition from college. Of course anyone doing that much analysis probably has too much time on their hands.

I'm not disputing that. But once in a while a rookie WR has a phenomenal season & we sometimes think that such a player is always available.

Some of these guys can have an impact right away (or nearly right away). Keyshawn (when you consider his QB's), Randy Moss, Andre Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Lee Evans, Michael Clayton (though he's been worse than McCareins since then), Marques Colston. At best, there's one of these guys in each draft. Even the highly touted ones - most of them turn into Travis Taylor or Peter Warrick.

I think Calvin Johnson will be the exception & if he goes to a team with a QB who is at least average, could be a monster even as a rookie. But you still never really know. And even more, there is only one of him. Whoever you have ranked as the 2nd-best receiver is so far below CJ's combination of size, speed, hands, talent, instincts, and character all rolled into one, it's ridiculous.

Well, the reason I started this thread was to look at some of the available people that the jets might be interested in and what position could help out right away. Drafting that low does anyone think that their is a corner back that could come in and play immediately? And if not, what position and player do think could? I really like the siging of Thomas Jones, but I thought that would be one of the easiest to come in and start right away.

I take the cheap way out and say it depends on the system. There are some systems where a physically gifted player can excel right away at corner or wr. There are other systems that play a lot of crazy zones or west coast wr/qb option based passing games that are very difficult to pick up. If a team plays a lot of man I believe in adding corners later in your rebuiling as one of the easiest positions to assimilate, but the speed and ability of wideouts is so much greater in the pros it's tough for a rookie to deal right away.

Archived