UT's Final 2007 Jets Mock Draft (with explanations)

Untouchable

1st round: OG Justin Blalock - Texas

He's the big mauler that we need on the O-line. Has incredible awareness (never makes mental mistakes) and is well known as a classic roadgrading OG. Brick, Mangold, and Blalock will give us the makings of a dominant young O-line for years to come.

2nd round: CB Josh Wilson - Maryland

Would be the best CB in the draft if he was just two or three inches taller. Excels at both zone and man coverage. Is a little guy, but plays much bigger on the field. Is also willing to come up and stop the run.

2nd round: OLB Brian Robison - Texas

Robison has tremendous potential at 3-4 OLB. Has good size at 6'3 260 and is known as a high character guy with top flight intangibles. Has a motor that never quits and should become a starter for years opposite Bryan Thomas.

3rd round: TE Matt Spaeth - Minnesota

Spaeth is known as an incredible blocking TE with solid receiving skills to boot. Has very nice size (6'7 270) and knows how to use his size to his advantage. Is an excellent red zone target and should provide a nice 1-2 punch at TE with Chris Baker.

5th round: OT Stephon Heyer - Maryland

Is incredibly strong at the point of attack and gets good leverage. Ideal size for RT at 6'6 334. He has some durability concerns and that's why he'll slip to mid-late day 2. Will compete with Clement next year and eventually take over at RT in the next two years.

6th round: NT Stanley Doughty - South Carolina

Had some minor character issues at South Carolina but definitely has some talent. He's known as a classic run stuffer and is able to occupy multiple blockers. Has good awareness and a great initial punch. A sleeper in round 6.

Nice looking picks. I think that we could probably get both of those players you have us selecting in the second with later picks. Wilson will probably last until our 3rd. Robinson hasn't been getting a lot of hype so I don't know much about him. I wish we had our 4th rounder though.

If that happens then I would accept us drafting the top CB left. I'm really not sure which of the top 4 left would suit us best. I keep hearing good things about Revis and Houston. I know that Houston is a little on the short side. But had like 26 or so lifts at the combine.

Pretty good draft. I was thinking about giving us Robison in my next mock. Not really big on Wilson since he reminds me of a shorter Justin Miller but solid pick. Blalocks a pretty good pick in the 1st as well.

Things I didn't like were a TE in the 3rd who doesn't even have that much upside and, while Doughtey could be a good NT, the only scouting report I've read on him says that he has a lot more than "minor" character questions. It'd gave me the impression that he's similar to Gabe Watson from last year in that he has the talent of a day 1 pick but only plays when he feels like it. If there's a such thing as a "Mangini player" this guys not even close. I wouldn't be against him though if he can get his act together.

1st round: OG Justin Blalock - Texas

He's the big mauler that we need on the O-line. Has incredible awareness (never makes mental mistakes) and is well known as a classic roadgrading OG. Brick, Mangold, and Blalock will give us the makings of a dominant young O-line for years to come.

2nd round: CB Josh Wilson - Maryland

Would be the best CB in the draft if he was just two or three inches taller. Excels at both zone and man coverage. Is a little guy, but plays much bigger on the field. Is also willing to come up and stop the run.

2nd round: OLB Brian Robison - Texas

Robison has tremendous potential at 3-4 OLB. Has good size at 6'3 260 and is known as a high character guy with top flight intangibles. Has a motor that never quits and should become a starter for years opposite Bryan Thomas.

3rd round: TE Matt Spaeth - Minnesota

Spaeth is known as an incredible blocking TE with solid receiving skills to boot. Has very nice size (6'7 270) and knows how to use his size to his advantage. Is an excellent red zone target and should provide a nice 1-2 punch at TE with Chris Baker.

5th round: OT Stephon Heyer - Maryland

Is incredibly strong at the point of attack and gets good leverage. Ideal size for RT at 6'6 334. He has some durability concerns and that's why he'll slip to mid-late day 2. Will compete with Clement next year and eventually take over at RT in the next two years.

6th round: NT Stanley Doughty - South Carolina

Had some minor character issues at South Carolina but definitely has some talent. He's known as a classic run stuffer and is able to occupy multiple blockers. Has good awareness and a great initial punch. A sleeper in round 6.

I'd be all over this if you took Walter Thomas or Louis Leonard in the 5th instead of ending up with Doughty, and then Heyer in the 6th. Like or love all your other picks. Good job.

Archived