All-Star Selections?

Jetsfan80

Yes, it is early in the season, but there is not all that much to talk about at the moment. And since the ballots are open for the All-Star Game voting to take place, I thought I'd post my picks:

AMERICAN LEAGUE

1B: Justin Morneau, MIN (Honorable Mention: David Ortiz, BOS)

2B: BJ Upton, TB

SS: Carlos Guillen, DET

3B: Mike Lowell, BOS (Honorable Mention: Alex Rodriguez, NYY)

C: Victor Martinez, CLE (Honorable Mention: Jorge Posada, NYY)

OF: Magglio Ordonez, DET; Torii Hunter, MIN; Vlad Guerrero, ANA (Honorable Mention: Carl Crawford, TB; Ichiro Suzuki, SEA; Alex Rios, TOR)

NATIONAL LEAGUE

1B: Prince Fielder, MIL

2B: Chase Utley, PHI

SS: Jose Reyes, NYM (Honorable Mention: JJ Hardy, MIL; Hanley Ramirez, FLA)

3B: Miguel Cabrera, FLA (Honorable Mention: Aramis Ramirez, CHI; David Wright, NYM)

C: Russell Martin, LAD (Honorable Mention: Bengie Molina, SF)

OF: Carlos Lee, HOU; Jason Bay, PIT; Carlos Beltran, NYM (Honorable Mention: Adam Dunn, CIN; Matt Holliday, COL; Ken Griffey Jr., CIN -- "The Kid" has still got it)

NOTES:

* The Martinez over Posada choice was the most difficult one to make of all the selections. Martinez has only been slightly better defensively and is hitting much lower average-wise than Posada, but also been at the most important postion for an upstart Cleveland team that has the 3rd-best record in the bigs. Meanwhile, Posada is having a career year so far despite being in a struggling lineup. I just felt that a guy who has been an integral part of a strong team was more deserving. Feel free to disagree.

* I'm amazed at how quickly Prince Fielder has separated himself from the rest of the pack at 1B in the NL, even over Pujols and Ryan Howard. Cecil must be proud.

* Reyes and Beltran were slightly homer picks, I admit. You cannot deny the fact that Reyes, on pace to steal over 100 bases, is just as deserving as Hardy and Ramirez, but the latter two have had outstanding seasons for teams with less talent. Tough call, but I went with my heart on that choice. As for Beltran, his season has not been any more impressive than a lot of guys in the NL (such as Matt Holliday), but the NL has to have a quality center fielder starting if it wants a chance to get home-field advantage (which could mean Game 1 of the WS being at Shea, quite possibly).

* Based on the rosters I chose, it looks like the American League is going to win the AS game once again this season, assuming all other things being equal.

* MLB seriously needs to do one of the following if the All-Star Game is going to make any kind of practical sense: 1) Ditch the fan vote system. If the game counts, the fans should not be able to turn the selections into a popularity contest, which they have been every season. 2) Ditch the "winner-gets-homefield" concept. Only a handful teams are in the hunt for the title, even at midseason, and even players on those elite teams would rather be taking a much-deserved rest rather than play yet another game.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Jeter and A-Rod aren't even honorable mentions on that list? No big deal it's not like Jeter is 3rd in the AL in BA and OBP. And A-Rod doesn't lead the league in homeruns and isn't 2nd in RBI's.

Your Yankee hatred is clearly screwing with your decisions.

So Jeter and A-Rod aren't even honorable mentions on that list? No big deal it's not like Jeter is 3rd in the AL in BA and OBP. And A-Rod doesn't lead the league in homeruns and isn't 2nd in RBI's.

Your Yankee hatred is clearly screwing with your decisions.

Yawn. There were several viable candidates for the AL SS spot which would have been too many to list, so I didn't bother writing an "honorable mention". If I did, it would have included Jeter, Johnny Peralta, Miguel Tejada and Orlando Cabrera. SS is weak in the AL this season, no one really jumping out. It's about time Carlos Guillen get his due, he's been one of the most underrated SS's in the game for a while, and he's having a solid campaign (he leads all SS's in RBI, with 36, for instance).

As for A-Rod, he has been pretty much non-existant in the month of May. You don't deserve to be in the All-Star game for a hot April. You gotta at least make your mark in the ensuing 2 months leading up to the game.

But I do agree he should be an honorable mention, and have edited accordingly.

By the way, if my "Yankee hatred" is "screwing" with me, what does that make your comment? I'd say Yankee-homerism, wouldn't you? It's as if anything said (or not said) that gives anything but credit to the Yankees is blasphemy to you.

Yawn. There were several viable candidates for the AL SS spot which would have been too many to list, so I didn't bother writing an "honorable mention". If I did, it would have included Jeter, Johnny Peralta, Miguel Tejada and Orlando Cabrera. SS is weak in the AL this season, no one really jumping out. It's about time Carlos Guillen get his due, he's been one of the most underrated SS's in the game for a while, and he's having a solid campaign (he leads all SS's in RBI, with 36, for instance).

As for A-Rod, he has been pretty much non-existant in the month of May. You don't deserve to be in the All-Star game for a hot April. You gotta at least make your mark in the ensuing 2 months leading up to the game.

By the way, if my "Yankee hatred" is "screwing" with me, what does that make your comment? I'd say Yankee-homerism, wouldn't you? It's as if anything said (or not said) that gives anything but credit to the Yankees is blasphemy to you.

Yawn. Your excuse about A-Rod is invalid because you judge an all-star by what his numbers are and not by what month they happened in. In spite of his weak May he still has easily the best numbers of an 3B and of any player in general. That's just the facts.

Same thing with Jeter, I realize there have been some other very good Al shortstops, I have Guillen on both of my fantasy teams so I know how good a season he is having. That said Jeter is hitting .355 and his OBP is .431 and has got on base in just about every game so saying he should be on the All-Star team is hardly being a homer.

Get over yourself man.

Justin Morneau- 15 HR 39 RBI .284 AVG .931 OPS 35 Runs Scored 1 Error

Kevin Youkilis- 7 HR 28 RBI .354 AVG .981 OPS 39 Runs Scored 0 Errors

Morneau also bats in the heart of the order, while Youkilis bats 2nd, thus more RBI opportunities. I'd take Youks. But people love the longball.

Yawn. Your excuse about A-Rod is invalid because you judge an all-star by what his numbers are and not by what month they happened in. In spite of his weak May he still has easily the best numbers of an 3B and of any player in general. That's just the facts.

Same thing with Jeter, I realize there have been some other very good Al shortstops, I have Guillen on both of my fantasy teams so I know how good a season he is having. That said Jeter is hitting .355 and his OBP is .431 and has got on base in just about every game so saying he should be on the All-Star team is hardly being a homer.

Get over yourself man.

Lowell has a better average (.320) than A-Rod (.298), has more hits (58 against 56), doubles (13 against 11) and is gaining ground on him in RBI's (39 compared to A-Rod's 44). Your statement that he has "easily" the best numbers of any 3B or any other player is hardly an air-tight argument.

Get over yourself man.

It is his opinion.

If you don't like his list, make your own.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion without having to "get over themself".

Justin Morneau- 15 HR 39 RBI .284 AVG .931 OPS 35 Runs Scored 1 Error

Kevin Youkilis- 7 HR 28 RBI .354 AVG .981 OPS 39 Runs Scored 0 Errors

Morneau also bats in the heart of the order, while Youkilis bats 2nd, thus more RBI opportunities. I'd take Youks. But people love the longball.

The problem there is that Youkilis is competing with his own teammate, David Ortiz, for votes. Since the game will be in an NL park (negating the DH), Ortiz and Youkilis cannot start on the same field together. Which is why Morneau should get the starting job.

It is his opinion.

If you don't like his list, make your own.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion without having to "get over themself".

That phrase probably applies better to you than any other poster on this board. It's called debating. I don't know if you've noticed but that happens sometimes on JN.

That phrase probably applies better to you than any other poster on this board. It's called debating. I don't know if you've noticed but that happens sometimes on JN.

Does this "debating" you speak of have to occur while at the same time disrespecting two other posters in the process?

Attack the ideas/points, not the poster.

Posada makes it, no way you can argue that. It's based on individual stats nothing to do with teams.

Well then considering Martinez is on pace to drive in 132 runs this season, then he deserves the vote, no? If we're just going on stats, that is.

Well then considering Martinez is on pace to drive in 132 runs this season, then he deserves the vote, no? If we're just going on stats, that is.

no because Posada is batting 360 to his 315, has a higher OBP and SLG%. Martines only has 2 more homers and 12 more rbi's. It's close but I'd go with the .363 batting average.

no because Posada is batting 360 to his 315, has a higher OBP and SLG%. Martines only has 2 more homers and 12 more rbi's. It's close but I'd go with the .363 batting average.

True, but Posada has also allowed 4 of every 5 baserunners to steal on him. Where does that factor into the numbers?

The AL All-Star Roster For The Yankees Fan

J. Damon, CF

D. Jeter, SS

H. Matsui, LF

A. Rodriguez, 3B

J. Posada, C

J. Giambi, DH

B. Abreu, RF

D. Mientkiewicz, 1B

R. Cano, 2B

why do fans of other teams have to make stupid comments like this all the time? I just don't get it, it's just dumb. Posada, Jeter and A-rod deserve to be in the discussion for it and those are the only three yankee fans brought up. As a moderator I'd think you'd hold yourself up to a higher standard than JBFjr.

jetfan80 - I like the list, but I think Polonco should be on there too.

Upton has been far and away the best second baseman in the AL so far this season. Polanco, Brian Roberts and even Ian Kinsler deserve props but it would be hard to justify Upton losing the starting job to any of the 3.

True, but Posada has also allowed 4 of every 5 baserunners to steal on him. Where does that factor into the numbers?

I have sympathy for posada when it comes to that, that new hd super shot thing showed a few times where posada got him and the ump still called the dude safe.

I have sympathy for posada when it comes to that, that new hd super shot thing showed a few times where posada got him and the ump still called the dude safe.

Wow, you used the word SYMPATHY to describe your feeling toward Posada? So we should take pity on Jorge for being a sub-par defensive catcher and just hand him the starting job, just like kids get trophies for finishing last in a race?

Says the person who tells someone to get "over himself" based on his opinion.

Yeah, pretty sound logic at work there.

Peralta and Tejada in the same sentence as Jeter this year? Haha, okay dude.

Peralta and Tejada in the same sentence as Jeter this year? Haha, okay dude.

Check out the numbers, then come back to me.

By the way, I thought Jeter was supposed to be great for his "intangibles". Those sure are coming in handy. While everyone is looking for a scapegoat higher up in the organization to put the blame on, no one is looking to the heart and soul of the Yankees for leadership in this time of crisis.

No Yankee has shown they deserve to start in the All-Star game this season any more than the players I listed. Posada, Jeter and A-Rod will make the team, and the fan vote will probably get them all starting jobs. But if you take a step out of the Yankee bubble, you will see there are other viable candidates.

Wow, you used the word SYMPATHY to describe your feeling toward Posada? So we should take pity on Jorge for being a sub-par defensive catcher and just hand him the starting job, just like kids get trophies for finishing last in a race?

did you not read the whole post? I said i felt bad because he isn't as bad as his numbers suggest. The umps blew a lot of calls for him, guys that should have been out were called safe. So I'm not gonna make that the thing that breaks my vote for him.

did you not read the whole post? I said i felt bad because he isn't as bad as his numbers suggest. The umps blew a lot of calls for him, guys that should have been out were called safe. So I'm not gonna make that the thing that breaks my vote for him.

Blown calls happen to EVERY player from time to time. I'm sure there were times in Jorge's career where a player was ruled out when he should have been safe. You cannot blame an umpire for a player's deficiencies, especially when it has been a common theme across the player's career.

why do fans of other teams have to make stupid comments like this all the time? I just don't get it, it's just dumb. Posada, Jeter and A-rod deserve to be in the discussion for it and those are the only three yankee fans brought up. As a moderator I'd think you'd hold yourself up to a higher standard than JBFjr.

Yeah I better get careful. All the whining Yankee fans might mass together and try to get me banned too. :bag:

As for a Yankees fan talking about others making stupid comments....don't make me laugh.

Check out the numbers, then come back to me.

By the way, I thought Jeter was supposed to be great for his "intangibles". Those sure are coming in handy. While everyone is looking for a scapegoat higher up in the organization to put the blame on, no one is looking to the heart and soul of the Yankees for leadership in this time of crisis.

No Yankee has shown they deserve to start in the All-Star game this season any more than the players I listed. Posada, Jeter and A-Rod will make the team, and the fan vote will probably get them all starting jobs. But if you take a step out of the Yankee bubble, you will see there are other viable candidates.

Maybe you should!

Jhonny Peralta has a .283 BA, a .355 OBP and 33 RBIs, .858 OPS

Miguel Tejada has a .322 BA, a .387 OBP and 27 RBIs (out of the cleanup spot), .814 OPS

Derek Jeter has a .355 BA, a .431 OBP and 28 RBIs (out of the 2 hole), .908 OPS

JETER IS BY FAR HAVING THE BEST SEASON OF ANY SHORTSTOP IN THE AMERICAN LEAGUE

Put him as your starter or lose all credibility. Its that simple.

Yeah I better get careful. All the whining Yankee fans might mass together and try to get me banned too. :bag:

As for a Yankees fan talking about others making stupid comments....don't make me laugh.

I'm not even gonna bother with you! YOU"RE RIGHT AS A YANKEE FAN I FEEL THAT EVERY PLAYER SHOULD BE ON THE ALLSTAR TEAM EVERY YEAR! EVEN KEI IGAWA WHO ISN"T ON THE TEAM ANYMORE! JANKEES R SO COOL!

Like posting somewhere you said you wouldn't through a bet?

I AINT LETTING THAT ONE SLIP BY. Aint happening! (the Torre thread was started in the lounge btw \:D/ )

**back to my hole**

BTW, just stick to the topic at hand for once, Scott. Clearly jetsfan80 just doesnt know what he's talking this time.

I will comment only on your NL pick, as that is the league I watch most consistently.

I actually would place Ramirez over Reyes, but that is really a toss-up.

I would probably fit Rowand inb my outfield, over Beltran. But, I bet when the true all-star game rolls around, Beltran will have the numbers over Rowand.

Pretty good overall.

Great article in Sports Illustrated this past week about Prince Fielder and his dad. Fielder is to the NL, what Howard was last year. Just pure awe inspiring power. He is getting a better clue at the plate overall.

Maybe you should!

Jhonny Peralta has a .283 BA, a .355 OBP and 33 RBIs, .858 OPS

Miguel Tejada has a .322 BA, a .387 OBP and 27 RBIs (out of the cleanup spot), .814 OPS

Derek Jeter has a .355 BA, a .431 OBP and 28 RBIs (out of the 2 hole), .908 OPS

JETER IS BY FAR HAVING THE BEST SEASON OF ANY SHORTSTOP IN THE AMERICAN LEAGUE

Put him as your starter or lose all credibility. Its that simple.

You forgot....

Carlos Guillen has a .320 BA, a .389 OBP, 36 RBIs, and a .931 OPS

Doesn't look like BY FAR if you ask me...but i guess im being a homer with Carlos Guillen, since im a Tigers fan..

oh wait, im not

Archived