Thomas' do-everything ability is scary in hands of Belichick - ESPN.com

Thomas' do-everything ability is scary in hands of Belichick

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- It would seem to be a match forged in football heaven. A whirling dervish defender more destructive than a Vegematic, joining the consummate Inspector Gadget coach preparing to conjure up devilish methods for tormenting NFL offensive coordinators.

The former, seven-year veteran Adalius Thomas, is nominally a linebacker, but played eight different positions for the Ravens, including cornerback, after becoming a starter three years ago. The latter is Patriots coach and future Hall of Famer Bill Belichick, the man who all but created the concept of the hybrid linebacker.

Of all the unrestricted free-agent acquisitions this spring, the migration of Thomas to New England seems the most optimum fit and the best outlay of big bucks. The Patriots, despite Belichick's fertile imagination, haven't employed a defender with double-digit sacks since 1995. Thomas, with 20 sacks over the past two seasons and 28 in his three years as a starter, seems a prime candidate to restore the edginess to the New England pass rush off the edge.

Yet for all the anticipation about the endless alignment possibilities the marriage of Belichick and Thomas seemed to possess, there was Thomas last week aligned in about the most mundane of spots for New England's mandatory three-day minicamp: strong inside linebacker.

Thomas, who defected from the Ravens to the Patriots for a five-year, $35.04 million contract that includes a $12 million signing bonus, was not overly concerned about manning the strong inside linebacker position (known as the "Mike" linebacker) in New England's base 3-4 alignment. And he certainly was not debating the decision -- which is subject to change -- to play him at a spot defined more by grit than glamour.

"Given what that man [belichick] has accomplished on defense, and what he's done with his linebackers, man, I'm not going to question anything," Thomas said. "When he points, I go, that's it. No questions asked. None at all."

There is no question that, as much as any coach in the league, Belichick uses springtime football to mix and match components. For all the complex plotting done in his laboratory, the basics of minicamps and organized team activities sessions revolve around the basic tenets that serve as the bedrock philosophies of the mad scientist.

Belichick views minicamp as a teaching and learning experience, in which the assimilation of doing things the right way supersedes performance. And learning to do things the Patriots' way characteristically entails learning a lot of different positions. Which is, in part, why Thomas spent most of his time last week at inside linebacker.

"Adalius is a very flexible player and he, along, really, with all our linebackers

Given what that man [belichick] has accomplished on defense, and what he's done with his linebackers, man, I'm not going to question anything," Thomas said. "When he points, I go, that's it. No questions asked. None at all."

Well at least he has a chitty attitude. :confused0058:

We are in a bit of trouble come week one.

I'm so friggin sick and tired of reading year after year how great New England is,was and will be from all these same reporters...they ain't won nuthin in 2 years going on 3 years now and won't again this season-I say the Jets overtake them in '07

I'm so friggin sick and tired of reading year after year how great New England is,was and will be from all these same reporters...they ain't won nuthin in 2 years going on 3 years now and won't again this season-I say the Jets overtake them in '07

i think we'll split the series, as for the division, i hope you are right. It does seem that the teams getting stroked the most before the season end up taking it right on the colon during the season.

:pats:

it gets old reading article after article about how great everything is in NE....this team is just about due for a Tom Brady injury

That sure would burst their bubble. and he is over due for an injury.

I know ,even on ESPN they stroke the Pats,I can't stand it .They never talk about the Jets and they always talk about how brady is better than so and so from the Past .

F those Patsie A-holes I hope we crush them on week one .You can put all the pro-bowlers

you want on your team but they still have to gel together ,and i hope this is thier down fall.

oh ................and Brady is a GayBird

I do not like the Pats but the fact of the matter is our new leadership has taken the approach that imitation is the best form of flattery and we are becoming NE south. So I would not be so quick to hate

The pats have earned the acolades. We have been competitive, but not great. When we win another SB they will talk about us.

WTF does that say about a team that has not won anything in 40 years?

Neither would I, but I think it has to do something with the money and his age.

You would pass on a guy who has played just about every position on defense and has put up 180+ tackles and 26+ sacks in the last 3 seasons?

He was offered more money by San Fran but went to the Pats.

Neither would I, but I think it has to do something with the money and his age.

Yeah...having a young crappy LBer is so much better then having an almost 30yo LBer that can play multiple positions on the DL and at LBer.

nobody is acting like the Jets have won the superbowl after perfect seasons for the past 20 years.

You act close. All we see written in here is, "What about us?"

And it is not like Brady, Belichick, Pioli and half of the Pro Bowl caliber talent left either. We have a great QB, Coach and team that has accomplished great things during a time when the league is constructed to prevent that. Whine about he Patriots all you want, when you have tools like Michael Vick that have done nothing getting too much TV time.

Archived